Happy 10th Birthday Translucent Soul! (prize today!)

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Happy 10th Birthday Translucent Soul! (prize today!)

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:44 am

Folks,

Translucent Soul was released ten years ago today on Sept. 15, 1998! How can that possibly be??? :?

Translucent Soul was the first CD that I bought in real-time....and I played it over and over again. I remember lying on the floor to “feel” the bass…..which was/is awesome! :) One line of lyric from “Seven” became my mantra:

“I’m letting go because holding on’s killing me.”

The first person to correctly answer the following ten Translucent Soul questions will win a copy of The Times They Are A Changin’: A Tribute to Bob Dylan, Vol. 2 (Sister Ruby Records, 1994). The CD, truly a collectors’ item, includes tracks from, among others, Richard Shindell, Kristian Bush, John Gorka, and our very own Ellis Paul doing a unique version of Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower.”

1. Name the person who produced Translucent Soul.
2. Name the female who does the ethereal background vocals on “Angel in Manhattan”.
3. Name the fella who provided “God-like bass goodies”.
4. Name the song that mentions John Lennon.
5. Name the song that includes the line: “he’s in an emotional prison; the self-inflicted kind”.
6. Name the song that is arguably Ellis’ best-known song.
7. The title track is about Ellis’ friendship with whom?
8. Name the song that includes the line: “I can hear a cricket in your 5th floor apartment.”
9. When Ellis and Christopher Williams challenged each other to write a song about a city they visited together, this song was the result.
10. A live version of this song appears on WYEP’s Live and Direct, Volume 1.

Good Luck! :)

If you don't care to answer the trivia questions, please do chime in with any thoughts/memories you may have about the CD! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Re: Happy 10th Birthday Translucent Soul! (prize today!)

Postby Patti » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Song #9... I won't give the answer but I remember being at a show that Chris Williams opened and accompanied Ellis at. Chris told the story of the challenge they made to each other of who could use a particular line in a song first... I was at the back of the venue but couldn't help yell out :oops: , (though I thought I knew answer) " who won" and Chris said "Ellis won, he always wins" !! :D

I think everyone there always thought Ellis a winner, but because of Song #6 it seemed even more so at the time....

Great CD, Great Trivia... Thanks Karen
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Oops... In my post I meant to say question #6 not song..

(where is that edit feature??? :? )

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Patti,

When you're logged in, you should be able to see an edit icon in the lower right hand corner of the message you want to edit. Just click on the edit icon, make your edits, then hit Submit. I know you can do it! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 pm

hmm... I am signed in and I do not see the edit function I wil try to hit preview and see if I see it there. I have seen it in the past. Also, when I try to hit, "view your posts" it says I am not authorized?? Perhaps this thread should be moved to the likes and dislikes about the new board. AND as long as I am talking about that, I guess I would suggest spell check for all and if the Looking For My Friends topics could be in alphabetical order... you know, Kind of like Ellis's Song Bible :wink:

I have previewed and not seen edit... perhaps when I submit?? :?:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Patti,

You don't have to Preview to edit. When logged in, just pull up any thread/topic. You can edit the postings that YOU made in any thread/topic. You'll see the edit icon in the lower right corner of the posting YOU'VE made.

Try again. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:13 pm

MLB (major league baseball) players make a ton of money if they can hit for a .300 average, to say getting a hit 3 out of 10 times at the plate. Looking over this list I see that I am batting .300. :oops: Great trivia, Karen! Thanks, as always..... :)

Awesome prize! 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:35 pm

No clue
2. Name the female who does the ethereal background vocals on “Angel in Manhattan”.
No Clue
No Clue
Have a clue
5. Name the song that includes the line: “he’s in an emotional prison; the self-inflicted kind”.
Obviously, this song pertains to me right now!!!
Have a clue
THIS ONE I KNOW!!!
8. Name the song that includes the line: “I can hear a cricket in your 5th floor apartment"
No Clue
9. When Ellis and Christopher Williams challenged each other to write a song about a city they visited together, this song was the result.
Have a Clue
No Clue
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Paddy,

You are too funny. :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:09 am

Just got #10........thanks to a timely post by Karen this morning in another thread!!! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 am

Listen to samples as you ponder the answers and eye the prize! :D

http://www.buy.com/prod/tribute-to-bob- ... 39196.html
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:30 am

Paddy,

Thanks for the link. Maybe it'll inspire folks. :) I must say I thought there would be more interest in talking about the CD if not answering trivia! :?

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:41 am

About the prize, I have it.... It is one of the few CD's my husband has bought for me, he says he can't keep up with what I want :lol: but he did manage to surprise me with this one. :P

Karen,

Though this CD has 2 of my favorites, I have to say, I find some of the song depressing, and the one I listen to least :cry:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 am

Got this record the week, if not the day it hit record store shelves. Back then, it was often the case that I'd have to ask the record store folks on new release tuesdays if they had the new Ellis Paul cd that was due out that day. They would quickly look it up in the system and say, "yes, we have one copy" then go in the back to find it among the many new releases. Time stood still as I waited for the employee to return with that one copy in hand. Oh....please, please, please come back here with the new one. Please! :D

YES!!! 8)

This record rocks.....on so many levels. If you don't have it yet......add it to the list! :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:24 am

Jerry Marotta Amazing percussion on this record.... 8)
Dar Williams..........Have to go back and listen to this......had no idea! :oops:
Tony Levin..........Google Tony Levin and look at all the people he's played bass for..... :shock:
Live in the Now....."life is what happens when you're busy makin plans, that's what John Lennon said then he quit the f*&%'# band"
I'm the One to Save
The World Ain't Slowin Down found here and on the sountrack (theme song ) for the Jim Carrey film "Me, Myself and Irene"
Vance Gilbert...........see lyrics below..... 8)
8. Name the song that includes the line: “I can hear a cricket in your 5th floor apartment.”
Did I Ever Know You?
9. When Ellis and Christopher Williams challenged each other to write a song about a city they visited together, this song was the result.Take Me Down
She Loves a Girl

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:26 am

I love this song........ 8)

Translucent Soul
from Translucent Soul

I get a call from Vance he's an old friend
He's got some you-won't-believe-story to share
He's the place that I go when I need someone who knows me
He brings the smile of a billionaire

And I laugh when he pretends he's a white guy
'Cause he knows how bad I fail playing black
He says, "If even you could, I don't advise that you should
'Cause once you go there you might not want to turn back"

(chorus)
There isn't a thing
in this God-all-mighty world that I wouldn't do
to help him outta trouble
Seein' as how we're friends and
that goes deeper than skin can go
to a translucent soul
Deeper than color will show
translucent soul

He says, "Now, you and I, I know we look a little different,
but, I was raised middle class, same as you.
But, let's make it clear even on the way here,
I had to watch for blue lights in the rear view "
He says, "Last week, I was visiting L.A.,
walking the streets where the riots went down.
You got black killing black killing black killing black,
while all the whites were sweating bullets across town"

(chorus)

He says, "In L.A., they're whispering race war,
like it's something that has yet to begin
like they can plug up the cracks
in four hundred years of history
and prove that the melting pot's not broken"
He says, "In the event of some unlikely disaster,
we find ourselves armed, and face to face "
I said, "I'd turn around, I would protect your ground"
He said, "I'd do the same thing for you at your place"

(chorus)

There isn't a thing
in this God-all-mighty world that he wouldn't do
to help me outta trouble . . .

Embrace what you have in common,
celebrate what sets you apart
It takes more than the color
that you find on a palate
to turn humanity into an art
into the form of an art
translucent soul
translucent soul
soul

© Ellis Paul Music (SESAC) 1998
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 am

Yay! Congratulations, Paddy! We finally have a winner! :) It wasn't that hard, was it? :?

TS contains one of my favorite EP lines - as most of you probably know since it used to be my signature file:

"Embrace what you have in common; celebrate what sets you apart."

Beautiful words to live by.....

Paddy, PM with with your snail mail address (again!) so I can mail your prize. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:01 am

well.....a little harder than I expected...not so much the ???'s but my ability to recall the answers. If you'd posed these questions 10 years ago, I'd a been all over the answers. Things change....they change alot. :shock:

Thanks again for the great trivia, Karen. :D

Listening to songs samples from the Dylan tribute cd the other day I was struck by 2 things....

Ellis' voice at the time of his version of All Along the Watchtower..... 8)

Richard Shindell's homage to Dylan included a tongue-in-cheek impersonation......... :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:23 am

Since Dylan is not eactly my cup of tea.....I'd like to offer up the prize here to any takers. Not so fast, tho! :lol:

Be the first person to name the artist and album cover that Ellis Paul's Translucent Soul's album cover pays homage to. 8)

Hope the Dylan tribute cd doesn't become the cd that's most treated like a fruitcake...... :lol:

Good luck, all!

:wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:53 am

Paddy,

You're just spreading the love! :)

KarenZ

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”