Aug. 28 in EP Music History Trivia (win a prize today!)

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Aug. 28 in EP Music History Trivia (win a prize today!)

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Folks,

"I have a dream today." Those words, spoken by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., echoed from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., on this day in 1963. King was speaking before more than 250,000 people who had gathered as part of the March on Washington For Jobs and Freedom, to bring attention to the issue of civil rights for black Americans and provide support for the Civil Rights Bill of 1963. There were many speakers, but the day belonged to King, whose eloquence and passion thrust him further into the spotlight. His speech was recognized as a defining moment in the civil rights movement.

I can think of three Ellis Paul songs that mention Dr. King: one by name, one by initials, and one indirectly. Can you name the three songs?

The first person to name the 3 songs will win a copy of the Legacy 2 CD containing Ellis' "Ashes to Dust".

Good Luck! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Re: Aug. 28 in EP Music History Trivia (win a prize today!)

Postby Patti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Great question today and a bit appropriate given the democratic candidate for presidency this year... My daughter (who just started a political science class) asked me if I knew anything special about today and because of your trivia question, much to her surprise, I was able to answer her 8)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:45 am

Patti,

I'm glad today's question helped mom look good. ;)

Anyone have answers? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:09 am

Karen, thanks, as always, for the fantastic trivia!! 8)

I took the challenge yesterday and was halfway through posting answers, then poof! :shock: I took it as a sign I should let others have a chance to answer this timely and fantastic trivia question, and prize! 8)

As an aside, in my research I actually came up with a possible 4th song that might work. :) Course, someone else has asked Ellis to change gender before, and the exception would have to be made here for the song to work as the character, a protester in her own right, is a woman. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:43 am

2 songs came to mind right away... but no luck on the 3rd one without looking back at titles or lyrics... (are they all from this century or would one be from the last!)

(I have been have trouble getting past the login page lately... anyone else??)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:47 am

Patti,

The 3 I'm thinking of are all from 2003 to the present. No tricks here. ;)

KarenZ

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:53 am

I got 2... I need to keep thinking about the song in which he is referenced.
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:33 pm

Dear Karen:

Just got home (from 2,798 Miles - we've come a long, long way - EP Vermont-Maine-Mass Road-Trip), but we checked the trivia this morning at the hotel near Cleveland and listened to EP songs all the way home - surprise, surprise - really we just listed to them all week... but who's counting???

Okay! Elaine and I are ready.....

1) By Name - Kiss the Sun (A Song for Pat Tillman) from American Jukebox Fables

I dreamt I could hear freedom's speak
in Martin Luther King's speeches

2) By Initials - Citizen of The World from Side of the Road

If I could talk to Ghandi, talk to Christ, talk to Mohammed, ask advice. Oh Saint Theresa, MLK, we need your advice come judgement day

3) And by reference - of course - Million Chameleon March - from The Dragonfly Races

Now, Sally the chameleon, she went up to the mike...

She said "I had a dream"

Yea!!!!

Good trivia - I had to drive home extra fast to make sure I could try and get this in on time.

You're awesome...

I'm committed to make a posting about the Berkshire show from Friday night - it was great, so I'm going to eat now and do some unpacking, but get to it ASAP.

Dean (and Elaine)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 pm

Dean, Dean, Dean :P

Regis asks: Is that your final answer? :lol:

Lifelines: Phone a friend? ............50/50? ........ask the audience? :P

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:13 pm

Dean,

Yay! We have a winner! I knew there would be an EP Devotee out there who would come up with the three correct answers. :)

Glad to know you and Elaine got home safely. Looking forward to hearing about the Berkshire show at your convenience. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Dean...congrats!!! That's a great prize!!! 8)

Karen.....great trivia....thanks!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:56 pm

Found another possible song that would have worked........... 8)

implied:

From Ellis Paul Live ---- Did Gailileo Pray?

Don’t shoot the messenger,
The postman delivers Truth today.
And Truth will march in Birmingham
It will block the tanks in Tiananmen.
Put the judges on the witness stand
Let’s see what they all say.

If ya look up the march in Birmingham during the civil rights movement, guess who?

yup.....

Martin Luther King, Jr.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:32 pm

Way to go Paddy! Although I hadn't thought of that one, it would have worked! :)

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:40 am

Good job Paddy! I didn't think of Did Galileo Pray? either. Well done.

Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks guys.....in researching the answers.....I thought about Sally the Chameleon from Million Chameleon March but passed since she's a woman. When I saw "the truth will march in Birmingham" I said Aha!!! :D

Congrats again Dean......on winning "legacy 2" -- the CD that holds the first Ellis Paul song my wife and I ever heard! 8)
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”