EP "win a guest pass" trivia! - July 25, 2006

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

EP "win a guest pass" trivia! - July 25, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 am

"Sweat on the backseat
Dylan on the radio
You peeled off your troubles
When you peeled off your old blue jeans" -- Ellis Paul

On July 25, 1965 Bob Dylan played the Newport Folk Festival and some say was booed off the stage for going electric. Forty-one years later the controversy continues. Read more about it in Wikipedia.

To win an Ellis Paul Guest Pass for two, simply

1.) Be the first person to reply with the name of the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above, and

2.) Name at least two other Ellis Paul songs that mention Dylan.

Replying implies that you have read and understood the rules of the contest.

Good Luck! :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:53 am

EEK! I know the answer(s) but don't remember when I won last!
I know we didn't get to use the passes until April...but that we could have had them in time for an early Feb show.

Karen? Please advise here?
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:55 am

Wendy,

I'm sure it's been more than 6 months since your previous win. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:57 am

In that case (thank you, thank you!):
Seventeen Septembers from Sweet Mistakes,
and Dylan appears in All My Heroes Were Junkies (COV) and Urban Girlfriend (Urban Folk Songs) (ha! payback for transcribing those lyrics!) :)
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:05 pm

We have a winner! Good going Wendy! And pulling out "urban girlfriend" too! You rock. ;)

(I'll send your confirmation e-mail tonight.)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:38 pm

WhooHoo! Thanks Karen! :D
(Jukebox On My Grave would be a third. Are there more that you know of?)
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:39 pm

I didn't even think of "urban girlfriend". :oops:

KarenZ

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Congrats, Wendy!!!

You should use it at this mythical Portland show this fall... :mrgreen:

~Lauren

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:50 pm

I'm getting very nervous that it is, in fact, mythical. :cry: Keeping fingers crossed, though!

Boothbay Opera House in January should be easiest for Karen to deal with: it's on the schedule, I know the live people who answer the phone, and the director is a friend of EP's... can't get much better than that! 8)
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:58 pm

The fact that it's in your backyard has absolutely nothing to do with it at all, of course. :roll:

:lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:41 pm

Allow me to jump in here with an outsider's observation:

This sounds like a Backyard BBQ waitin to happen :!:

Featuring full belly clams of course........ :roll:

:lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:57 pm

Well, I'm from away, but I'm not a flatlander, so I think that would be a clam bake, not a BBQ. But I don't think you can do that in January.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:05 pm

SueEllen, Being from Texas, I saw the words "in my backyard" and couldn't help but think BBQ. :D I have heard of the term "clam bake" but only on TV. :shock: And as for not being able to cook outdoors in January, well, then we need to plan a January trip somewhere warm enough to Barbeque. Then, we'd be the full bellied ones. :wink:

On a personal note - what a difference a week makes. The concert tonight at Eagleview was packed with folks enjoying the beautiful weather we have now. The two groups on the bill were MENAGE from Asheville, NC. and The BRAKES from around here I think.

Speakin of 'round here, if anyone's able to make it to Exton on August 22nd ( a Tuesday Night free concert ) to see Mark Erelli and Lori McKenna, I would be more than happy to light the grill, feed the troops, and lead the way over to the concert stage.

Pennsylvania allows full - bellied clams across state lines but you're not allowed to dig holes and cook underground :shock: at least to my knowledge. :D
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:25 am

Hmmm. I would never claim to cooking BBQ in Maine, especially when speaking to a Texan! And January is NOT a good time for clam bakes on the rocks...

BUT for any board members who decide to make the trip I can guarantee you good food and great music and a comfy livingroom with woodstove before and/or after. Yes, this is an open invitation which will be repeated closer to the date. Please mark your calendars and think about it! :D
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:37 am

Hmmm....Boothbay Harbor in January is sounding better and better.... :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:16 am

Why, "Thank You Ma'am", as they say in Texas. That's mighty kind of you to offer. And if it so happens that we take you up on it, at the very least allow me to bring the BBQ flavored Potato Chips...... :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:30 am

I'll bring the Ellis Paul quilt for you all to see! :)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:56 am

How cool! Is that quilt recent? Or is that the one that was auctioned a few years ago? (I forget the context - was it at Woodyfest?)

It would be really interesting to see a complete view of it with explanations of the squares (I noticed a tornado in one to EP's right)

Karen, you continue to astound me with the information and images you come up with! Thank you!
-wendy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:02 am

Yes Karen do tell! Would love to hear the story behind the quilt.

Jela

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:23 am

I second (ok, well, third) that emotion! Story, please!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 am

It's a long emotional story with lots of shock and dismay, drama, surprises and elation...and it has a happy ending! :) I think the story deserves its own thread, so I'll try to post something when I can. Man...I can't believe you guys haven't heard it before now....seems like I'm always blabbing on about it. :roll:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 am

Carol Elliot may be weightless...........I'm Quiltless.

Can't wait to hear the story and TIA.

Oh, and while Van Morrison used to say "Rave On" , I say "BLAB ON". :wink:
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:10 am

I don't recall ever reading a peep about it, Karen,
unless it is the quilt that was auctioned/raffled, in which case I only read that it existed.

I think I can speak for most of us: we never tire of hearing EP-related stories!
(and if anyone does, they can just stop reading) :P
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:16 am

Yes, it was a quilt that was raffled off at the 2001 WoodyFest. I did NOT win the raffle...but it did indeed come into my possession. Therein lies the amazing story... :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:32 am

OK...so it's been 1 month and 5 days.....but I want you all to know that I haven't forgotten that I promised to tell the story of the Ellis Paul quilt. I'm thinking about it. That's a start. ;)

KarenZ

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”