Dec. 6 in EP Music History trivia - win a prize!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Dec. 6 in EP Music History trivia - win a prize!

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:50 am

"Now she puts on some music,
She asks you to choose it
You sang her back a Gershwin line.
Now Ella is singing holy, soulfully
Bringing up better times."
-- Ellis Paul

Folks,

Ira Gershwin was born on this date in 1896. Brother of George, Ira was the lyricist for his brother's music. Now that I think about it, I think Ellis must be referring to Ira, not George, above. ;)

To win a copy of Ellis Paul at WoodyFest 2007 (with Don Conoscenti and Radoslav Lorcovic) simply be the first person to reply to this with the name of the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above.

Extra credit and our undying admdiration to the person who can sleuth out the George and Ira Gershwin song title that is also an Ellis Paul song title. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:37 pm

That would be Maria's Beautiful Mess, wouldn't it?

I'll see what I can track down about Ira and George!
-wendy

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Oh, that was WAY too easy: Summertime!
-wendy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:17 pm

Nice job!

I've been wondering what Gershwin line is sung back in the song Maria's Beautiful Mess.

Has anyone asked? And more importantly, does anyone know the line?

Regards,
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Way to go Wendy! :) Please PM me with your snail mail address and I'll get the CD in the mail to you next week.

Dean, I don't believe anyone has ever asked, and I sure don't know the answer! I think you should post the question in the Clarity forum! :)

Karen
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:29 am

Hey Dean, I agree: you should ask on the Clarity Forum.

Until then, may I suggest that the lyrics from Embraceable You would fit... (though Ella never sang that one). How about I've Got a Crush on You?
Check out http://www.gershwin.com there's a whole Jukebox of Gershwin, with Embraceable You sung by Billie Holiday.
And there's a wonderful version of Summertime by Peter Gabriel! :shock: Who'd have guessed!
-wendy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”