Ellis at the Tin Angel - March 16, 2006

Post pictures here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Ellis at the Tin Angel - March 16, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi folks,

Barb62 has graciously shared this shot of Ellis that she took at the Tin Angel in Philly on March 16, 2006. Thanks Barb! Very nice! Glad to see you on the board! :) (I've also added this picture to the Miscellaneous-2 Gallery which is linked in another thread here in the Photograph forum.)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:45 pm

My wife and I once saw Lyle Lovett just out and about in my hometown of Houston, Tx. Actually, it was at the Mucky Duck, and I think Kelly Willis was the bill. Lyle had just become enamored with her music, and had stopped by the club to hear some of her tunes. Well, even tho we'd seen Lyle a bunch over the years on stage, it was a little different seeing him walk in the front door like a regular patron. He was with good friend and percussionist in his band, James Gilmer.

Afterwards, my girlfriend at the time, coined a phrase for Lyle that has been with me ever since and used only sparingly. She said to me, about Lyle, that the man was - - - dripping cool

Why am I reminded of that story and bringing it up here? Seeing this photo of Ellis had me cracking up about other threads on the old forum.
We were going on for a short while about the velvet jacket, seen here in this snap from Tin Angel.

Well, I have to tell ya folks, I'm sure it's been put away for awile. Afterall, summer's here. Ellis walked into the Friend's Meeting House in Mt. Holly, New Jersey like he was just another guy walking in out of the somewhat warm afternoon . The room itself was fairly warm throughout his 6pm start time and first set. The reason few were bothered :

Like Lyle that night , Ellis Paul was - - - dripping cool.

To quote the late great Harry Chapin, If I may.........

'' I guess you know she stayed ''
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:12 am

Great shot, Barb! That's another Classic Ellis...
(an entry in the Fan Photo contest?)
-wendy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:29 am

Lovely photo - is it just me or does anyone else think that sometimes the expressions Ellis pulls remind me of Bono - don't know why but often he'll pop in my mind when I see photos of Ellis. Or is it some Freudian association????

By the way I think that for the summer the velvet could be exchanged for a linen - can just picture him in a nice, cool, ivory coloured linen jacket to go with the jeans.

Jela

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:19 am

Would that linen jacket be worn with the black cowboy hat or the straw one? :lol:
-wendy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:24 am

Straw one don't you think?

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:37 am

I had the good fortune to see Ellis perform at Schubas in Chicago on a warm day in July a few years ago....the day after he had performed at a wedding....so he was still wearing his all-white "wedding" outfit. Let me tell you....he looked dripping cool. :lol: I'm sure I have a picture or two at home....but since it was pre-digital camera, if I find them I'd have to try to scan them....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:25 am

Hey Jela, wouldn't the straw be for informal occasions?
Somehow a linen jacket (or velvet, for that matter) speaks of more formal attire to me. Hard to imagine the black hat with it, though... What other kind of hat could we get him to try?? :shock: :lol:
-wendy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:41 am

See you are all wrong. Not white linen. Blue and white seersucker. Then the straw hat is just fine.

:D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:43 am

To me linen is informal - love the way it gets creased quickly, you can't be formal in a creased jacket can you?????

Always associate linen with hot summer sun, trying to keep cool in hot, hot, hot conditions just like we have here today in my part of England.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:46 am

Oh...I can just picture Ellis in blue and white seersucker....sitting on a big wide veranda....sipping a mint julep.....

hee...hee....hee...

KZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 am

Are you guys for hire as personal shoppers?

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am

Not sure if they are now, but it sounds like they were back in about 1988 ;)
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Jeff, are you trying to say :?:

...the girls are so 80's..

:shock:

:wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:24 pm

I did not suggest he wear leggings and a giant blousy shirt. That's what I remember from the 80s. :P

"Light and airy is not only the look but how you'll feel in this contemporary seersucker suit"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:28 pm

I Like it, is it available? Please say it is!....paypal?

i'm so 80's :cry:
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:36 pm

Would a blousy shirt be like a "puffy shirt?"
-Katie

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:36 pm

It is available HERE for $139.99. I think it would look excellent with an EP pin on the lapel!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 pm

And neither did we suggest those big shoulder pads from the 80's....ala Dallas and Dynasty...........Joan Collins eat your heart out!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:40 pm

I was thinking more late 80's, Don Johnson with a Miami Vice linen jacket, t-shirt underneath.......

Not thst there's anything wrong with that.
Jeff

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:42 pm

And for what it is worth my fashion sense stops at an old pair of Levi's and a t-shirt......
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:11 pm

Yikes. I'm sure barb62 didn't suspect that her photo would spark this thread. :wink: You guys are too much. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:03 pm

I think something like this would work for summer:

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:10 pm

And if Ellis adds the backwards baseball cap he'd be looking like he did back in 1989 when he was first starting out. We've truly come full circle. :wink:

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:12 pm

Sue Ellen wrote:I think something like this would work for summer:

Sue Ellen

Now that's what I call great fashion ! ! ! ! !
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:32 pm

'' I like it, I love it, I want some more of it! ''

Keep 'em coming guys. I've yet to solidify my new summer wardrobe.

And all this fashion consulting for free!
paddy

BillE

Postby BillE » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:36 pm

Karen:

Post the "red running shorts" picture from Woodyfest....

Bill

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:38 pm

Do you mean the picture of that unknown jogger we saw along that dusty road wearing those red French-cut shorts? Ellis wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of those. :lol:

KarenZ

BillE

Postby BillE » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:01 pm

Oh yea, that was the "gay lawyer" (not that there's anything wrong with that....)

Bill

BillE

Postby BillE » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:14 pm

Aw, what the heck:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:22 pm

You couldn't leave well-enough alone, could you? :wink:

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:40 pm

Jeezum crow! :shock:
(Never thought I'd use that phrase)

Next thing you know, people will be posting nude Ellis from the Naked Folk calendar. ::hint hint:: :P

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:59 pm

I think Ellis might need some of these to go with those shorts.

He can get some here: http://www.holabirdsports.com/.

And that is RUNNER not jogger thank you.

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:20 am

No way. :wink:

Next thing you know, people will be posting nude Ellis from the Naked Folk calendar. ::hint hint::

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:00 am

Phew! :oops: Thanks Karen.
There should probably be at least a tiny bit of decorum on this board... :wink:
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:02 am

Wendy, I agree. :)

Actually the Naked Folk calendar picture is tastefully done.. Ellis and Vance are standing next to a tree....and there are guitars and tree trunks strategically placed. ;) And, HEY, they did it for a good cause! :lol:

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:18 am

Shhhh.... I know. I peeked. :wink:
-wendy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:22 am

Tastefully done? Quite, but Ellis used a guitar, Vance needed a tree. Ha ha!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:37 am

Hmmm....I hadn't noticed that. :wink:

KarenZ

Return to “Photograph”