Paris/England/Germany - May 2006

Post pictures here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Paris/England/Germany - May 2006

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Last edited by KarenZ on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Folks,

Believe it or not I just received a few photos via e-mail taken at the May 24, 2006 show in Wasserburg, Germany. The photos were taken by Christian Flamm. I've put them in an online album for you - enjoy! :)

Christian Flamm's photos from Wasserburg, Germany - May 24, 2006

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Some of the best concert photos of Ellis Paul I've ever seen.

Kudos to Christian and thanks to all involved for sharing them with us.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:32 pm

What a lovely set of photos - wasn't Ellis' hair long back in May, really suits him don't you think? Also reminds me of a quote that was made about him by someone at a UK radio station along the lines of 'he looks like a dirty rocker'

Ralph took great pride in this description of Ellis.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Folks,

I actually kept one of Christian's photos back (my favorite of the ones he took) that I hope to use in coming weeks as a Fan Photo of the Week. Stay tuned. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:35 pm

Jela,

It was really long in May! Actually I think I prefer the shorter "gay lawyer" (according to Ellis) look. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:What a lovely set of photos - wasn't Ellis' hair long back in May, really suits him don't you think? Also reminds me of a quote that was made about him by someone at a UK radio station along the lines of 'he looks like a dirty rocker'

Ralph took great pride in this description of Ellis.

Jela

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:56 pm

Karen,

whow what a quick from Germany to the States and back. Thank you and Christian for sure for sharing the photos with us :)

Hope he will take some more grat shots at Passim in December! :D

:wink:

Just another complement to the #3 of the photos - The picture shows the unrehearsed scene after Ellis' first song of the show (MBM!!) when he was asking the audience if anybody has got a pick in his purse. Because he left all of them anywhere on the way from Britain to Germany. (At least that's what he told us. :wink: ) Minimum half a dozen people came to the stage to gave him one...
After this test he was not afraid anymore that the people wouldn't understand him telling his stories :)

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 pm

Great photos from Christian, and great story from Thomas. Thank you.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:03 pm

Thomas,

I wasn't sure if that was the guitar pick "deluge" scene or not so thanks for clarifying! I edited the caption for that photo. :)

KarenZ

Tupelogirl#2

Postby Tupelogirl#2 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:24 pm

Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing!

Jela, I agree with you; love the long hair :wink:
Tumbleweeds
Dance on the ground
Armadillos (poor little guys)
Upside down

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:50 pm

To Thomas and Christian and all others that might know:

How is it that six audience members all have pics on them to offer up to Ellis Paul at the mere mention that he needs one?

Anyone else wondering that?

I mean if it was a guitar convention or a folk festival...I could see it.

It's just got me scratching my head a bit tonight. :lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 pm

Paddy,

Although the photo shows 5 or 6 folks coming to Ellis' rescue with guitar picks, there were easily another 5 or 6 that the camera did not capture. It truly was a deluge of bodies with picks that descended from the elevated rows of seats in the theater. A most memorable, funny, and quite astounding moment. :)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:27 am

Paddy,

oh yes, I was wondering too, how this could happen. :? But after the show I asked one of my friends who gave him a pick. And he told me that almost every guitar player uses to have at least one pick in his pocket or purse. - Just last week I checked it out and asked the 18 year old son of my girlfriend about the contents of his pockets. " Hmm, only the most important things...", he said and showed me a pocket lighter, a rubber and a pick as well. :wink:

Karen,
thanx for emending me. I could'nt remember the exact number of people coming down and didn't want to overact the scene - but suddenly the stage was overcrowded and surely you are right that it might have been at least ten or more. (Perhaps we should ask EP how many of the picks he still has got? :wink:

Oh, I'm sorry, Ellis. It just crossed my mind that Ellis gave all the picks back to the people after the show.)

Paddy,
another anecdote from the Wasserburg show:

After about two-thirds of the show Ellis' tuner didn't work anymore cause the battery was empty. For sure Ellis took the chance to ask the audience for another battery... And believe it or not, at least two of them even had a TUNER in their cars. :o One of them was Katrin from Nuernberg you could see on the foto (3).

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:03 am

Thomas,

Thanks for the smiles this morning! :)

I did NOT remember about the tuner at all! (I don't think I knew!) Katrin to the rescue again! :) She also rescued me at the CD table where there was a brisk business - mostly in German! :) I was so thankful to have her standing beside me to answer questions. She and I have sold Ellis Paul CDs together around the world...in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Pennsylvania.....and Germany! :) I sure wish she was coming over for the NYE shows....

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:58 am

A laugh in the morning is a great way to start the day...Thomas, I'm certain I will be chuckling about the most important things in your girlfriend's son's pocket all day. A well-prepared young man indeed! :lol:

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:00 am

Ah, THAT Katrin! :) She was active on the old board a few years ago, I think. It sure would be nice to see/hear her back here!

Great photos and wonderful stories. Thanks for sharing!
(I'll second -or third- the motion on EP's long hair :wink: )
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:47 am

Thomas, that is too funny. Ahh, to be 18 again with the essentials of which you speak. Tuners too!!! :shock: My guess is if Ellis had asked for a background singer....there would have been a que for that too!!! :lol:

Closing thought this morning : Ellis' connection with the music of John Lennon has come full circle with mention of your girlfriend's 18 yr. old son:

From Rubber Soul to Translucent Soul.

Thank you...I'll be here all week.....don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses. :lol:
paddy

Return to “Photograph”