Blue Door, The Depot, Ice Storm - Dec. 8, 9 & 10, 2007

Post pictures here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Blue Door, The Depot, Ice Storm - Dec. 8, 9 & 10, 2007

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:12 am

"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:06 am

Wow! We never get those sort of extremes of weather here in the UK and whilst I'm sure that ice storms create all sorts of havoc, the photos especially of the flowers and shrubs are amazing - quite ethereal.

Notice that EP had a scarf around his neck in some of the photos - hope that his voice/throat weren't suffering. I always wonder what sort of things singers do to protect their voice and am always suprised when I see any of them smoking (and quite a few seem to) after the show!

Thanks for posting and guess that you're glad you finally made it home.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:56 am

Jela,

The photos of the ice storm still don't do the devastation justice. It was much worse than depicted.

Yes, EP did have a bit of a cough and kept his scarf on for much of the show at the Depot saying that it was the first time he was performing with a cough drop in his mouth - forewarning those in the front of a possible mini-projectile. :) I told him he looked good wearing a boa. ;)

Yes, it was good to sleep in my own bed last night! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:52 am

Wow, Karen, that was some amazing ice-storm! Glad you made it home safely. Thanks for posting all the great photos, too. Obviously, Ellis and Rad had a great time.

It seems funny to see all that ice on colors... we (in Maine) are used to seeing it all in shades of gray.
Here's hoping that everyone gets their power back soon!
-wendy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:00 am

Wow, Karen those are some great pictures... did you get a new camera?
We had a bit of an ice storm here, which is pretty but not nice to drive in.

Glad you made it home safely...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:14 am

Patti,

It's the same 5-year-old old-technology digital camera - it's almost impossible to take a non-blurry picture. The difference is taking pictures of still-life as opposed to taking pictures of musicians in contstant motion. ;)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am

Through wind and rain and ice and snow......

She'll brave it all for an Ellis Paul show. :wink:

Karen, thanks for sharing. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Becky

Postby Becky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks for posting the pix, Karen! I'm so glad you made it home safely...you know, it's really not that safe outside even now...tree limbs are still falling. I remember that walk back from Starbucks...we were walking right under power lines and as there was no power to the area and the ice thick on those lines, we decided it would be safer to walk in the street. There was a tree limb in my yard that fell onto the sidewalk right behind Karen as we were leaving to go to Starbucks. Thank goodness it didn't hit her!!! Yes, she will brave it all for Ellis Paul. (that's kind of a catchy slogan! ) 8)

Becky

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:45 am

Beautiful pictures, Karen, and I'm so glad you made it home safe and sound. Did you get home just in time for the snowstorm???

I'm with Wendy ... very strange to see pretty colors ensconced in ice!

MonicaR.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:31 am

MonicaR,

SW PA missed the blast that the Northeast got, although we're supposed to have a "wintry mix" today and tomorrow.

Yes, the scenes in Oklahoma were quite surreal!

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:12 am

Where's the picture of the "iced latte?" :lol:

All kidding aside, what a beautiful mess. :?

Thanks for sharing, Karen, glad you made it home safe.

Stay safe and warm, everyone.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

poulsbo

Postby poulsbo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Karen,

Those photos of the ice storm are amazing! The "Panzies under glass" is especially excellent. You should frame this one!
I can remember having an ice storm when I lived in Minneapolis, but it wasn't as thick as this ice. You're a devoted EP fan to brave these elements to get to the show!!

-Mike

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:58 pm

Mike,

Almost every person who has commented on the pictures has specifically mentioned the "pansies under glass". I must admit it's my favorite shot too. It almost looks like a painting......so I think I'll follow your suggestion to have it framed. Thanks for the idea! :)

KarenZ

Return to “Photograph”