One of your tunings...

Questions for Ellis.

Moderator: Moderator

mrgetsey

One of your tunings...

Postby mrgetsey » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi Ellis, I'm the guy that stopped you at Target over the weekend. I didn't want to hold you up but wanted to ask you a few questions about one of your tunings.

One of your guitars has a bright, high sound (high E string in place of G???) that I'd love to try out. I've been playing around with drop tunings the past several years and this sounds like something fun to play around with.

I really admire your songwriting; I've been struggling to write for years and somehow can't quite find the secret to piece everything together in a song.

Take it easy, Matt

EllisPaul
Site Admin

Postby EllisPaul » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:51 pm

Matt-
so sorry for the late reply, I have been in the diaper zone with a newborn and a toddler.

I use a high strung guitar, which is like a 12 string with only the the 6 high companion strings. They are used on almost every acoustic album ever recorded, as an invisible wash, to make the acoustic guitars seem fuller and more ochestral. I just caught one on Neil Young's "Heart of Gold".

Here are the string sizes i use--
capo the fourth fret to tune it in standard tuning, ebgdae low to high

High e- .13
High b- .18
high g- .13 (this will be tuned to a g above all other notes, it will be the highest note on the guitar, which makes picking patterns sound beautifully inverted)
high d- .18
a- .26
low e- .36

use open tunings to make it sound perty-- and see you at Target--
Ellis

EllisFanInParis

Re: One of your tunings...

Postby EllisFanInParis » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:47 am

Hello everyone,

I just looked through the topics in that section, checked the Guitar lessons section on the DVD and decided to remove some strings off my 12-strings. I don't know if I have the gauges correct, and I left both G strings so I now have a 7 string guitar, sort of a high-strung Roger McGuinn geetar!

The others are tuned to open D and standard.

Can't wait to play withe some friends and see their reactions :D

Hervé

Return to “Clarity”