stone soup - a to z faves

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

stone soup - a to z faves

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:53 pm

Recently asked who else I was into. I started to generate an a to z sort of list - which was a bit trying because I limited myself to one artist per letter. Since like minds often think alike, perhaps we can form this list together. In a rolling thread kind of way. I'm not sure how it should flow. Some input would come in handy before we get this rolling.

Some ideas:

how many letters a day?

A stands for : only last names or allow first names also.

example: Bryan Adams...........Adam Duritz.............Air Supply

One artist per post?...........or.......your entire A LIST in one or more posts?

This list should be folks you are somewhat passionate about, own or want to own, have seen or would like to see.

Maybe a system that allows us to denote those things, such as :

cd3 - - - to say - - - own 3 cds of this artist

L1 - - - - to say - - - - seen them live one time

We could start up right away or give ourselves a future start date. That might allow some time to think about our lists of faves.

I know it may sound silly to suggest any rules or guides at all. Just thinking a few extras might help keep it interesting to all who post their lists or those just reading it at a later time.

I'll let you guys chime in on this when you can.

Safe and Happy 4th of July everybody!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:41 pm

A bit on point a bit off topic.

A is for Arden - - -as in Jann Arden. She is a fine writer and singer from Canada. I was gaga for her stuff once. My music mentor pointed her out to me. Tho less lately, and I have never seen her live.

Someone told me y'day that the beaches of Ogunquit Maine are often filled with folks from Canada.

Canada, eh? Maybe Jann Arden will be there around the 5th... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:20 pm

It would take me forever to compile a list of my favorite songs. Let alone choose one as the winner. My wife, a fast woman, needed to come up with one for a fun team building exercise to be held next week in Seattle.

Here now is her list of candidates. She has a winner picked. She has not told me yet which song won out over the rest. This list is one of the many reasons I love my wife. She has excellent taste in Music and Men. :wink:

A side note: She prefers Shawn Colvin's Cover of the Beatle's In My Life

American Pie, Don McClean
Anna Begins, Counting Crows
Beautiful Land, Bill Deasy
Blue, Joni Mitchell
Conversation with a Ghost, Ellis Paul
Don't You Need, Melissa Etheridge
Dulcinea, Man of La Mancha
Have I Told You Lately That I Love You, Van Morrison
I Don't Know Why, Shawn Colvin
In My Life, The Beatles
Language of the Heart, David Wilcox
Like the Way I Do, Melissa Etheridge
Make It Easy On Yourself, Burt Bacharach
Music of the Night, Phantom of the Opera
My Funny Valentine, Frank Sinatra
My Romance, James Taylor
New Thing Now, Shawn Colvin
Nessun Dorma, Pavarotti
Over the Rainbow, Judy Garland
Takes My Breath Away, Tuck & Patti
There We Are, James Taylor
The Dance, Garth Brooks
This Guy's In Love With You, Burt Bacharach
Weightless, Ellis Paul
Witchita Lineman, Glen Campbell
Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong
You Can Close Your Eyes, James Taylor

Stay tuned for the winner and could any of you possibly pick a favorite song of your own? The list of candidates maybe, but the absolute favorite?
If ya wanna give it a try someday, we'd love to see it.
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Great list of songs, Paddy! I noticed quite a bit of Shawn Colvin, Joni Mitchell's "Blue," and Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman," which makes me pose the question:

What does your wife think of Shawn Colvin's "Never Saw Blue Like That" and "Wichita Skyline" (my 2 favorites of hers)?

~Lauren

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:35 pm

Hmmn, not sure I know what she thinks about those two Lauren. I do know that I like Wichita Skyline. Seems I can't spell it though. :?

I was surprised to see BLUE on her list. Great Album from Joni Mitchell and lots of faves on it for me.....just that Blue is not the #1 for me.

Don't recognize the 2nd Shawn Colvin song you mentioned, but then I kinda stopped really paying attn to Shawn Colvin after the really big record that shot her into the mainstream. We kept buying the new stuff and all but just didn't pay close attn to all the tunes. That one song title you mentioned looks Greek to me I'm afraid. SC does have a new one due to drop soon!!! Hope she is feeling stronger these days.

I was and was not surprised to learn her favorite song tonight. She had a top five, then chose a number one. She subbed it to the group by email. Then she second guessed her choice. I smiled as I finally narrowed it down and guessed the song she'd chosen.

The first runner up was What a Wonderful World by Louie Armstrong. And the winner is.......drum roll please...........................

Beautiful Land by Bill Deasy. She said it was almost the same sentiment as Wonderful World. I think the song actually dates back to Bill's former life as frontman for The Gathering Field. Those guys came close to breaking nationally but it all fell through the cracks. They hung for 4 really good albums and years of playing live before their devoted followers. I listened to one in the car tonight and still can't believe these guys didn't become household names. Bill has been a fave in this house since we discovered him while living in Pittsburgh. He has 3 full length releases, an ep of 7 songs, and a live concert on DVD. All, in my opinion, excellent. At his last show he mentioned that his novel will finally be published and it's due in September. Ransom Seaborn is the title.

So it goes..... :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 am

Ah, another 2 great songs! Louis' WAWW is in my top 5 for sure. And I have to admit to a soft spot for Shawn Colvin - she was raised (until age 8, I think) in Vermillion, SD, hometown of my alma mater, the University of South Dakota (go 'Yotes!). Wichita Skyline, in fact, was written, not about Wichita, but about Vermillion. Little known fact.

Paddy - if you PM or email me your email addy, I can send along a copy of her NSBLT - hauntingly beautiful, virtually a capella, if I remember correctly. That would mean finding my copy of it, of course... :roll:

:mrgreen:

~Lauren

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:32 am

Used to play a roadtrip game with the kids called "Going on a picnic."

Each took a turn naming an item they'd bring - starting with the letter of the alphabet next up when it was their turn. Apples, Bananas, Carrots - and the like. The fun part of the game was that on your turn - you'd have to name everything in the basket from A to your next added item.

The kiddos usually wore down about halfway thru and just as well.

In an attempt to get this A to Z thread going............we can simply add an Artist when the letter pops up......If you come upon this thread - jump in the car and bring music cuz:

We are going on a roadtrip - and we need music for the drive.

I'm gonna bring some.................Joan Armatrading
paddy

Return to “Say Something”