Songs for the First Day of Spring

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Songs for the First Day of Spring

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 am

Folks,

Happy Spring everybody! :) One of the first songs that comes to mind when I think of spring is "so it goes" - a song written by Bill Deasy and Kim Richey. Both have recorded the song - Kim on her CD Glimmer and Deasy on his CD whose title was taken from a line of lyric in the song - Spring Lies Waiting. That Deasy CD is one of my all-time favorites.

SO IT GOES
(Kim Richey - Bill Deasy)
© '99 Mighty Nice Music, BMI / Wait No More Music, BMI /
Bound To Be Music, BMI / Songs Of PolyGram, BMI

Some learn early and some learn hard
Somebody called me in from my backyard
And I heard the whispers something was wrong
And I knew you were gone

But the sun came up and the sun went down
Spring was waiting beneath the frozen ground
And I'll be seeing you around so it goes so it goes

I made some good friends and I made mistakes
Lost my religion and I found my faith
I tried to walk down every path I chose so it goes

And the sun comes up and the sun goes down

Seems like a small offering in the grand scheme of things
But it gets me through yeah the thought of losing you

The sun comes up and the sun goes down

Any other spring songs that come to mind? Another one for me is Ellis Paul's "Washington, DC" with its cherry blossoms blooming....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 am

.....ahhhhhh!!! Spring Time at last!!! Great topic, Karen. With the recent snowstorms here in the Northeast surprising folks like me, Springtime is indeed a welcome sight. Temps are forecasted to be near 70 tomorrow. :D

The song you mention above, So It Goes, is for me, one of the best songs I've ever come across that expresses the sheer pleasure and promise this time of year brings. The song, heard on wyep radio, was my intro to the man and his music. Spring Lies Waiting, Bill's first solo record away from his former band The Gathering Field, remains one of my all time favorites. :D

Just last night, at Club Cafe in Pittsburgh, Bill and friends held the annual Spring Lies Waiting Concert, where through the course of the show, ALL songs from the record are performed. He mixes it up with newer songs as well as some old gems from Gathering Field days. I've read this morning that last night's show was a huge success.

As for other songs on the season, the one song that jumps out right now is a rare and possibly unrecorded song by John Gorka. He used to play it frequently in concert, and I always laughed when John would curl his lip in such a way as to imitate the groundhog...who happens to be the main character in the song. The title escapes me, goes something like:

Springtime has sprung, somewhere in Pennsylvania.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”