Artists who sound alike....

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Artists who sound alike....

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:08 pm

Okay, here's the thing, folks sound like other folks, at least a little. We often cringe when our faves are compared to anyone, because we think they sound like themselves and totally original. If you can make a comparison of one artist to another, please share it with us here.

My wife, every once in awhile, tells me I sounded just like my dad. That always makes me smile.

Eliot Morris sounds like Adam Duritz, but that's another thread.

I once played David Wilcox for my boss at work, I wanna say it was David's second album ''How Did You Find Me Here?''

I was shocked to hear him say he thought he sounded like Paul Simon.

That's why they paid him the big bucks, I guess.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:27 pm

I think that Antje Duvekot sounds like Shawn Colvin and reading the recent articles posted about her, note that SC was one of her influences.

Please, please don't anybody say that James Blunt sounds like Ellis Paul - I know that a lot of you like JB, and comparisons have been made previously, but I am not a fan!!!!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:40 pm

Okay, I wont make that comparison because I don't hear it . I will tell you that on an early Mark Erelli CD, there is a song that has Mark sounding WAY too much like Ellis for it not to have been Ellis.

I asked Mark about it in Seattle at the boathouse on Lake Union, to which he replied the following:

Oh, yeah I know what ya mean, me and Ellis are friends and we both seem to have that New England nasal thing in common.

Or something like that.

Upon first listen, Antje sounded ALOT like Shawn Colvin to me,too. I'm glad that's over because it was such a distraction to me.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:15 pm

Paddy,

I agree. Ellis does a guest appearance on Mark's early stuff where I cannot distiguish their voices. However, that's no longer true (for my ears).

I would never confuse Ellis' voice with James Blunt's or anyone elses. Like I've said before, it's like a mom being able to pick her child's voice out of a crowd. Make that her brother. :wink:

To my ears, Antje's voice is unique. I've never thought she sounded like Shawn Colvin or anyone else. Actually, I'm not a big Shawn Colvin fan...

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:05 pm

Have to agree - I really do NOT get the "James Blunt sounds like Ellis Paul" thing - not sure where that came from but we sure had a long thread about it before, and I know a lot of folks see it the other way.
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:17 pm

I try not to bash other musicians, because art is subjective, but James Blunt? I just don't understand his popularity. I find his voice to be whiny, and his lyrics to be childish. He puts more importance on the rhyme then the meaning.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:37 pm

I happen to have enjoyed the JB debut a bunch, and I totally get it that some do not and never will. That's of course ok too. This album is expected to sell 11 million worldwide when it's over. Just right place and time for him. It's like the ''star - making machinery'' looked around and said '' time for a new sensation and let's see, uh, James Blunt.''

His back story is there, he's somewhat swoonworthy, and according to his hit song ''You're Beautiful'', something of a total.

No wonder I like him so much.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:10 pm

I like Back to Bedlam too. I understand that some folks have been over-saturated with hearing him on the radio....but since I have never heard him on the radio, I haven't gotten to that point yet. I still enjoy hearing "you're beautiful". And watching him strip in the video. Jeezum crow. :wink:

Total :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:59 pm

Wow, Karen, how did you manage to not hear that song on the radio? It' s funny, I caught it on radio(wxpn) months before it broke really big. I took a chance and bought BACK TO BEDLAM and loved it immediately. If I discover something early and THEN hear it on radio, it kind of messes with my mind. Like, hey wait a minute, that's my find!!! Guess I'm more used to hearing good music on CD than radio. The exact same thng happened to me with Antje Duvekot. Ellis spread the word and I had the CD and it was like my lil secret. Not that I wanted to keep it that way, but you guys know what I mean.

But not to hear that song on the radio.....WOW!!!

Near impossible anymore.

But I've been there too!
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:36 am

paddyinthepub wrote:Wow, Karen, how did you manage to not hear that song on the radio?
I am surprised as well karen. You couldn't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a radio station playing that song..... Not that I am deliberately associating dead cats and JB's song or anything..... ;)
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:48 am

It's very simple, really. The only station I listen to here in Pittsburgh is WYEP - independent public radio - member supported. They don't play James Blunt. I found him when I heard "you're beautiful" while listening to the Adult Alternative Music Choice channel. (A music channel that my TV cable company provides.)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:09 pm

Karen, same story here, only wxpn philly and that's where I heard it first, and grew to love it long before commercial stations grabbed it. Did wyep decide not to play it once it got so mainstream?
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:29 am

Oftentimes, I've seen John Gorka In Concert and thought he sounded a lot like the legendary bluesman:

slow blind driveway :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:06 pm

I listened to the song by Lizzie West that was provided via link to her myspace and thought she sounded like Antje Duvekot in so many parts of that song. While browsing around her myspace I clicked on some girl's avatar that led to her site. On there, she had a tune playing by an unknown to me female artist whose name escapes me at the moment. What was postworthy about the artist and song was that she sounded so much like another of my faves.....Beth Orton. :shock:

Darcie Miner, an up and comer, sounds original enough most of the time but her CD contains a song or two that sound like they were written and sung very much in the style and delivery of Patty Griffin.

It's no wonder, her manager sold me the CD at the wxpn fest merch table long after I'd missed her set with Antje Duvekot, and when I asked who she could be most compared to, he did not hesitate to say that Darcy was a huge fan of Patty's music and in fact often covers her songs when playing long bar gigs.
paddy

Return to “Say Something”