music on the small screen

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

music on the small screen

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:08 am

With our cable connection still on the blink, it's been dvd time around here. When it's early, our son has the reigns on what is played. After he drifts off to sleep, it's fair game. In the mood for music dvds (imagine that!).

Here's what I've watched so far:

REM - - -a concert dvd over in Europe somewhere.....love that footage

Bruce Springsteen - -Live In New York City......disc 2.....so intense

Bill Deasy - - -Live at Club Cafe - - -his home turf in Pittsburgh....says it all

A couple of others I own and consider faves are : Ellis Paul 3000 miles
John Gorka artist series.......David Wilcox......artist series.......Dixie Chicks HOME dvd concert from Kodak Theatre in LA.

Please let us know what some of your favorite music on the small screen is.....and if you have a big screen home theatre 5.1 sound kind of thing going on at your place...............what time's the concert? We'll all be right over :!: :shock:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:49 pm

Paddy,

There's a David Wilcox DVD ? I owuld love to see that - what's its name ? He is excellent in concert..... One of my all-time favorite shows was David in concert with Beth Neilsen Chapman at the Somerville Theater. WWondered who was opening for whom.... when we got there, they had decided to share the stage. So the whole night was the two of them alternating between songs and stories, pitching in to add harmony and other niceties to each other's songs. It was a superb show.

Anyway, besides 3000 Miles (which is a great DVD for any of the fans out there who have not seen it), most recently I have really enjoyed the Springsteen DVD released as part of the Born To Run re-release. A great show, an dan interesting contrast with the times I have sen him live with the E Street band recently, and in his last two tours.
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Jeff, yes and no....to my knowledge, it only came out on vhs. The title escapes me now, something like The Artist's Series, which is the same series to put out one featuring John Gorka. Got it now, The Artist Profile is the series...both are really good.

David, John, Ellis, Bill all hit us in exactly the same way. Have ALL their releases and see them EVERY chance we can.

Not sure of the avail of those 2 vhs mentioned, but google or amazon is bound to have a new or used copy for sale somewhere.

I'd check David's and John's website first tho..

While I'm here, just watched Signature Sounds 10th anniversary dvd, a concert held at a venue in Mass. Alot of old and new faves on that stage.

Notables were Lori Mckenna, Mark Erelli, Jeffrey Foucault, Peter Mulvey, Louise Taylor,Josh Ritter, Erin McKeown, Tracy Grammar, Jim Henry, and of course, Lorne Entress on drums and percs all night.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:31 pm

oh yeah, forgot to mention we have the Born To Run re-release too and watched the odeon in 1975 show.....how cool was that? and rumors have
it that Bruce thought they were not that good that night. Also put in the concert dvd of Bruce Springsteen in Barcelona, Spain that features most of the songs from THE RISING......I really like those songs.

If only Joni had filmed Miles Of Aisles for film release.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:32 pm

Paddy, my Signature Sounds 10th anniversary CD/DVD combo just arrived in the mail yesterday. Haven't watched or listened yet...also got the new Jeffery Foucault and Kris Delmhorst CDs...

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:32 pm

Karen, way cool, didya go for the poster option as well? I have mine but not seen it yet ( just not into posters these days). The cd and dvd are a real treat. I finally got to SEE Lori Mckenna sing a song of hers off OPRAH and Faith Hill - LESS.......lookin fwd to her exton, pa show in August. I Hope the weather is fine, as at least one to two of these shows has been canceled in past seasons due to inclement weather.

Like tonight's scheduled show with Glenn Phillips of TOAD fame and opener Johnathan Kingham....canceled, it's poured for days 'round here :(

I think one of the samplers has a fine cover song. It's Lori Mckenna singing live somewhere doing a cover of Aussie Kasey Chambers. Very cool, indeed.

ps----I need Jeffrey Foucault on my cd player and soon...that guy sounds great on the sampler and onstage on the dvd. In a sounds like way, off topic here, Jeffrey sounds a bit like my old Texas hero Willis Alan Ramsey on his 1972 debut, a truly timeless classic for all fans of picker poets. Talk about ahead of his time....wow.
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:01 am

I have 2 old favorites. So old they are on VHS!! Seven Nations Live and The Hothouse Flowers Take A Last Look At The Sun. I can watch both of those over and over again!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:07 am

Ah, Seven Nations! YES!
They were at the Scottish Festival in NH a couple of years ago. What a treat!

Where did you find that tape, Bonnie?
-wendy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:49 am

I got it at one of their shows. I just love them, and all of a sudden they don't tour around here anymore. :(

Anybody want to guess how I discovered them? Aw, go ahead. :P

Flynn opened for them. Shocked aren't you? :lol: I figured I'd paid for my ticket so I'd stick around "just to hear one song". :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:47 am

I'm going to sound like an ad here:

"And to think that I heard them on NPR..." :)
Leanne Hansen interviewed them on Weekend Edition one Sunday several years ago!
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:21 am

Wev'e been hooked on Gray's Anatomy since day one. The music they choose to place in certain scenes always seems to be spot on as well as help tell the story. The sountrack CD for Season 2 just made it's way into our music collection and I'm hearing tunes by artists I've heard of but never really heard...til now.

Snow Patrol and The Fray come to mind.
paddy

Return to “Say Something”