movies

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

movies

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:56 pm

Thought it might be nice to talk about movies. Just hoping we can share info on movies we've seen or want to see.

Seen any good ones lately?

I just want to begin simply...by saying...I don't go to the movies
much myself - except to take my son to see the latest "must see"
kid movie - and prefer to get wrapped up in a good movie at home,
whether it's on DVD or just airing on cable tv. I find that Comcast Cable has improved lately offering a few movies worth watching (On Demand).

Last night I found a movie I'd been wanting to see, and stayed up way too late to watch it. It was a movie filled with big name actors that garnered
several nominations and awards at last year's OSCARS.

The envelope please:

CRASH

I loved this movie.

Hope this thread helps point us all to some amazing films. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:09 pm

Great topic Paddy!!

I just watched on old favorite of mine on DVD. A Room With A View. Ahhh. A romantic, funny period piece set in England and Italy.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Thanks Bonnie.

I wanna say I saw A Room With A View ages ago and really enjoyed it. But don't quote me on that......"chick flick" as I recall.

Tried again last night to lose sleep and managed fine. Worth it?

I finally got to see a movie I'd been on the fence about since it's release last year. The trailer had me wondering about the fate of the child gone missing.......the main reason I wanted to watch. Fine actors all.

This one was a bit of a letdown for me:

Freedomland
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:03 am

As stated above, it's rare I go to see a "real movie" on the big screen. I broke a long dry spell on Friday night. My wife and son were in one theater seeing "Flushed Away", while I was in the theater next door watching a film my wife has wanted to see for a long time, based mostly on word of mouth high praise. I was willing to see the lighter fare with our son and let her see the "big kid" film, but she insisted I see it.

The movie I saw was fillled with great actors and directors and plot twists.

The Departed

Martin Scorsese directed.

Jack Nicholson...Martin Sheen...Mark Wahlberg...Matt Damon...Leo DiCaprio.

Star studded and well acted. Still, with the over the top violence, and more plot twists than a soft pretzel.....I found myself struggling to keep up and ultimately care. Too bad, it seemed like a really good film. Critics all loved it........just not my cup of tea I guess.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:43 am

Jude Law is everywhere. I was gettin sick of it. Hold the press.

My son's grandpa was in town....they always go to a movie - Happy Feet was the film of the day for them to see. I tagged along, hoping to catch up on my big screen movie deficit.

The only show time that co-operated would have me in the audience for - don't laugh - BORAT. I've seen him do the late night talk show circuit lately and I figured, why not?, it's the #1 movie in the country right now.

Let me preface this by saying that, for some reason, I have taken to falling fast asleep in movie theaters. I don't know why, I just do.

As it turns out, we arrived way ahead of our movie start times....which allowed me to duck into a different movie just for a look see. Ya know, just a preview to see if it's the kind of movie I might want to actually see on the big screen on a date with my wife.

Enter Jude Law. The new movie called "The Holiday". He's in it with 3 other big names: Cameron Diaz....Jack Black....Kate Winslet. I was able to stay awake for 15 minutes.....passed smooth out for 15 min..woke up in a panic for BORAT'S start time...realized I had a good 15 minutes to spare...stayed to continue watching The Holiday. I was in the very front row of the theater, what the hec, I wasn't staying long and I could stretch my legs out better. So I'm looking up at the screen and I got a face full of Jude Law and Cameron Diaz as they meet cute. I seriously considered staying to see how the whole movie turned out....based on those few scenes....and then there was Kate Winslet. She grabbed my attention too.

I kept an eye on my watch and hopped over to catch the movie I had come to the theater to see. BORAT was just beginning and I found a seat up top this time.....not front row...but very back row up top...again I like to be able to stretch my legs at movies. It started off kinda slow.....and before I knew it...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....it was over. Really, I slept through another movie. So...I can't really comment on this movie.

But Jude Law, for those that find him swoonworthy on film, sit down front.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Weekend before last I went with 3 of my best gay guy friends to see....what else?.....The Queen. ;)

The movie stars Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II and, unbeknownst to me beforehand, tells the story of the Royal Family's behavior in the 7 days following the death of Diana, former Princess of Wales. In particular it relates the story of how newly-elected Prime Minister Tony Blair (played by Michael Sheen) is caught between the overwhelming popular opinion of the British public that the Queen's behavior after Diana's death was totally insensitive (if not inhuman) and the Queen's belief that the family's grief should be private. Mr. Blair is finally able to convince the Queen to address her subjects and show a human side. It was an excellent movie - right up my alley - no blood and guts, no horror, no cursing. Helen Mirren looked remarkably like the real Queen....and I understand she is a contender for an Academy Award for her performance.

Jela....have you and Richard seen? If so...comments?

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:53 pm

I most definitely want to hear Jela & Richard's opinions on the Queen....however, it is too bad Paddy missed "Happy Feet".

Paddy wrote:My son's grandpa was in town....they always go to a movie - Happy Feet was the film of the day for them to see. I tagged along, hoping to catch up on my big screen movie deficit.

Any chance to see Savion Glover dance must be taken, even when it's in the form of a pee-wee Emperor Penguin. Savion is brilliant. He moves like he's dancing on air. And he can rival the most accomplished drummer in producing rhythms and sounds with his feet. I saw him in concert in Baltimore a few years ago. Savion's feet were like an evolved instrument being complimented by a jazz ensemble...Bring in d' noise, bring in d' funk was in a class by itself...and who can forget "I've got a new way to walk, walk" performed with Elmo on Sesame Street?

Oh, I think Happy Feet was a decent movie too, even if you are not five and a half.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:40 am

Yes we saw 'The Queen' a few months back and thought that it was an excellent representation of the events in the immediate aftermath of Princess Diana's death.

Obviously poetic licence had to be taken as there is no way that the flim makers would have been party to some of the very private conversations featured, but nevertheless it came across as being very credible. It captures the mood of the nation extremely well and the earnestness of the then new Prime Minister, Tony Blair.

I do remember the time and still am amazed at the public grieving that took place - I have to come clean here and say that I just could not understand the mass grieving that occurred. My theory, for what its worth, is that because she died at the weekend so many people were not at work so we were just subjected to TV footage all weekend long about the death and I think that if it had occurred during the week, people would have been at work and not able to constantly watch the media reports and get swept up in the way that they did.

On the day of the funeral we flew out to where else? but the States. We were holidaying in Colorado so fortunately missed it all except that when we were changing planes at Dallas/Fort Worth (to fly to Denver) we unintentionally caught Elton John on TV singing 'Candle in the Wind'

Back to the film though - Helen Mirren is a wonderful actress, classically trained and makes a wonderful Queen Elizabeth II. She looks so much like her and has picked up the mannerisms so well.

Michael Sheen who plays Tony Blair bears an uncanny resemblence to him (has played him in other TV dramas) and the funniest character is Cherie Blair, the PMs wife who comes across as a fiesty lady with some interesting views - she lends the film some nice humorous touches.

Helen Mirren rightly deserves an Oscar nomination for the portrayal. We both enjoyed the film.

And by the way, only yesterday Princes William and Harry announced plans for a big pop concert in London on 1st July to mark the 10th anniversary of her death (her birthday was 1st July) with a church memorial service at the end of August. I suspect everything will be televised and lots of money raised for charity (which is good). Perhaps at long last she will be able to rest in peace and there will be an end to the constant speculation surrounding her death and the conspiracy theories which abound.

Jela

care

mooooovies

Postby care » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:54 am

Happy Feet was a great movie, i laughed, i cried and i decided i want a baby penguin. too cute.

I'm looking foreward to seeing "Charlotte's Web" it has always been one of my favorite books and Dakota Fanning who is playing Fern has caught my eye in all the movies she's been in. A very talented young actress on the rise.

Also "Eragon" based on teh book is supposed to be good. I never read the book but those who have rave about it.

BillE

Postby BillE » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:38 am

Just saw Apocalypto this weekend. Great movie. It was amazingly realistic. I've read a lot about the Mayan people, and have spent some time in Veracruz, where it was filmed, and in the Yucatan, and I was transfixed by this picture. Whether you like Mel Gibson or not, he knows how to make a movie that is incredibly realistic, almost like a documentary. I'm sure you've heard that it's violent, but there is no real "gratuitous" violence. It's hard to show human sacrafice without any violence, but it's mostly just suggested (except for the blood...), and the violent acts aren't shown directly (for the most part). I think "CSI" is more graphic. I respect a filmmaker that doesn't have flood the screen with gore for the sake of gore.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:53 am

Just a thought on Mel Gibson's woes of late as it relates to this movie and the ones he's yet to make. My feeling is that he has recieved so much bad press lately with his personal stuff that in the movie going public's mind they almost want to steer clear of anything with his name on it. My guess is it will continue this way until long after he's left us and that generations to follow will likely be the ones to rave about movies like Apocalypto.

For the reason mentioned above, I passed on this one.

Thanks for the positive words on the movie, Bill. Afterall, Mel Gibson is really quite the filmmaker......I for one wish that he could somehow make amends, clean up his act, and get back to being known for his movies.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:09 am

Saw a movie here at home a few weeks ago that I'd been wanting to see since it's release and the buzz was on.

History of Violence

It stars Viggo Mortenson as a mild mannered family man living in small town America with his wife and kids. He's mild mannered until a couple of guys attempt to hold up his cafe. This movie does contain over the top violence and loss of life......it drives the storyline here.

I loved this movie.
paddy

danaj

Postby danaj » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:46 pm

I have been dying to see this movie. I'm just waiting on a chance to watch it without kiddos being around... not exactly a kid-friendly movie. I adore Viggo M, though. He is a true Renaissance Man, IMHO. Truly swoon-worthy. :wink:

Thanks for the reminder that I need to make a trip to Hastings, paddy!
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Little Miss Sunshine comes out on DVD today. Great movie, I urge you all to go rent it. I saw it at the theater but I'm going to rent it so my parents can see it, it's definetly rated R but it has such a great message. I'll also be renting A Scanner Darkly and Fearless.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:04 pm

dana, it's a movie well worth the wait...enjoy!!! I'm not too familiar with Viggo's career and this may be only the 2nd movie I've ever seen that he's in. The 1st time I saw him was in Carlito's Way starring 3 fine actors:
Al Pacino...Sean Penn...Penelope Ann Miller. Another really good one.

Jayce, thanks for the heads up....for some reason "Fearless" stands out as one I've at least heard about...will check into all 3 titles for sure.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:48 am

Not sure if this movie is out yet and/or whether it will see wide release, but I know it's one I WANT to see. It's a movie based on the Dixie Chicks having to deal with the backlash of lead singer Natalie Maine's comments about the president. I love the Dixie Chicks' music, even tho I was slow to jump on the bandwagon. Thought they were too cute and country at first.

That was then....I remember seeing the original version of the band at Mucky Duck before Natalie Maines signed on. They were all dressed up like cowgirls and more than a little twangy. Anyway, Natalie changed the Dixie Chicks the way Stevie Nicks changed Fleetwood Mac. I love 'em.

The movie is titled: Shut Up And Sing
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Well said Danaj:

danaj wrote:I adore Viggo M, though. He is a true Renaissance Man, IMHO. Truly swoon-worthy.

For the unenlightened among us:

and

"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:42 pm

Yeah....I guess Viggo's OK. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:36 am

Karen wrote:Yeah....I guess Viggo's OK

Okay? OKAY? Girl, there is something wrong with your swoon-worthy detector!

Care wrote:Also "Eragon" based on the book is supposed to be good. I never read the book but those who have rave about it.

The book (written by Christopher Paolini when he was 16), and it's sequel, as well as the movie are tremendous hits at my house.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:29 pm

I don't enjoy Viggo as much as most of the ladies, but I have excellent taste otherwise!! :P

I have not been to the movies in ages, but I saw Oceans 11 several times this weekend on t.v. I love that movie!!

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:56 pm

Well, I've been watching alot of TV series on DVD this week (since I did get Angel Season 1 for X-mas from my niece), but we did get "Lady In The Water" and it is very good. Apparently my gaggle of daughters think so too, since every time I walk thru the door it is on again. :wink:
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Just saw Will Smith's latest movie - Pursuit of Happyness. The story of Chris Gardner - a man who went from rags to riches - is told in snapshot scenes if you will. His wife moves on, his young son is Chris' to raise. A career in sales is not going great, and Chris seizes an opportunity to compete for a job with a great company.

Will Smith's acting is great here. His young son in real life plays his son in the story. He steals the show. There is a bit of voiceover to help propel the story and setup the "snapshots" of his/their struggles. Very moving.

The story, while uplifting here and there, is not your everyday average "feel good" movie. Perhaps I expected to see him cash in, meet the new girl, live the good life, etc., onscreen. Not that type of movie, at all. It's about the journey here, not the destination. If I had known that going in, I think I would have enjoyed it even more than I did.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:38 pm

The theme I'll touch upon here is Boxing. :wink:

I'll do my best to see Rocky Balboa....because I live near Philly, they filmed a bit of it here, and I hear it's not half bad. The original, ROCKY, was of course excellent, and the very first sequel was too. I enjoyed the 3rd installment as I recall.....but steered clear of IV and V after that.

Other Boxing movies I have enjoyed and can recommend:

Million Dollar Baby --Hillary Swank as a woman with a shot at the title. Directed by and co-starring Clint Eastwood. I loved this movie. Took me a long time to finally see it........what was I waiting for? Great story.

Cinderella Man --Russell Crowe in a story based on one time champion James J. Braddock --- "washed up" and asked to leave the sport once old age took away his chances of ever reaching the top. He did get a second chance, and what he did with that chance is the stuff of boxing legend. It's directed by Ron Howard ---little opie taylor from The Andy Griffith Show ---and son of a gun if he didn't sneak his lil brother Clint Howard into yet another of his movies. This is another that I resisted forever.....caught it on cable a while back. Again, what was I thinking? What a story. What a movie. Great supporting actors all around. Angelo Dundee even helped out.
paddy

dexsta

Postby dexsta » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:09 am

one movie which my fiance bought the other day is called "Not Without My Daughter" starring Sally Field. I'm not usually into these kind of movies, but i must say i thoroughly enjoyed this movie. highly reccommended.
This is a brief synopsis about the movie:

"Moody" is an Iranian doctor living in America with his American wife Betty and their child Mahtob. Wanting to see his homeland again, he convinces his wife to take a short holiday there with him and Mahtob. Betty is reluctant, as Iran is not a pleasant place, especially if you are American and female. Upon arrival in Iran, it appears that her worst fears are realized: Moody declares that they will be living there from now on. Betty is determined to escape from Iran, but taking her daughter with her presents a larger problem."

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:12 am

The movie "Steel City" is now high on my list of "want to see"" movies. It faired well at Sundance, and features 4 songs by songwriter Jeff Black, one of my favorite singer songwriters.

Here's an interesting quote I found on the myspace for the movie:

"The visual equivalent of a Bruce Springsteen song."

That's enough for me to want to see it on it's own. :wink:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:17 pm

I saw not one, not two, but THREE movies this weekend. :D

Little Miss Sunshine ~ Sad and hilarious at the same time. The family van is one of the main characters. :D

Poseidon ~ I love the original and this one wasn't as bad as I had feared. Kurt Russell looked as cute as ever and the effects were great even on the small screen. A good rainy day movie

Breakfast on Pluto ~ A visually pleasing movie. Cillian Murphy is just so stikingly beatiful in it. It is an odd movie, it tells the story of an abandoned baby boy who grows up to wear dresses and search for his mother.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:46 pm

Man...3 movies in one day...oh to be young again...... :P

Little Miss Sunshine is on my list....got some oscar nommies.

Poseidon....man, thank goodness they don't have Shelly to poke fun at.

See...i can't even remember 3 movie titles at one time, let alone watch em. :oops:

Oh yeah.....Cillian Murphy in the Breakfast on Pluto movie. Like him in movies.........he plays the beautiful stranger so well opposite Rachael McAdams in Red Eye, a movie that takes place, strangely enough, on a red eye flight.....if you like Cillian or Rachael, a must see movie.
paddy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:16 pm

Breakfast on Pluto also stars one of my favourite musicians Gavin Friday.
He plays musician/IRA gunrunner Billy Hatchet. He is an amazing musician from Dublin.
Susan

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Stayed up entirely too late last night to watch a movie that was on my radar as one to watch when it was in theaters.

Four Brothers ~ starring Mark Wahlberg and Andre Benjamin and directed by John Singleton. It's a story of 4 brothers and how they go about seeking justice for their mom's murder. Takes place in Detroit, is extremely violent, and more than a little hoaky. The movie, plot lines, and dialogue were shaky throughout, but the ending made it, when revenge is finally served....ahem....COLD......a movie worth losing sleep over.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:42 pm

This movie surprised me.

Bridge To Terabithia

It's from Disney, based on the book, and a movie we really enjoyed. :D

There aren't real big name actors here, but the ensemble cast works well to tell the story of an imaginative young boy and the new girl in town who helps him see things in new ways.

Beautiful story.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:16 pm

My son took me to the Movies last night.....and I'm here to say I'm glad he did. Did not expect to like this movie much, and was pleasantly surprised. It's a sweet family film called "Are We Done Yet?"

Stars Ice Cube and the curly haired mean spirited Doctor from NBC's Tv show "Scrubs" ( this guy steals the movie, wearing many hats.)

The story revolves around a money pit of a house Ice Cube buys in the Oregon countryside to give him and his growing family the space they need to grow.

The icing on the cake for me comes near the end... and an Ellis Paul song we all know and love is why!!! :D The song wasn't in the movie...but it could have been. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:07 pm

A movie high on my list of must see movies:

It's called Steel City and one critic writes "the movie equivalent of a Bruce Springsteen song."

I'm stoked to see that the movie has 4 songs by Jeff Black in it.

It did well at Sundance....not in full release it seems. :cry:

Here's where it's in limited release:

May 25, 2007 7:15P
The Quad New York, NY
Jun 1, 2007 7:15P
Opera Plaza San Francisco, CA
Jun 1, 2007 7:15P
Varsity Theater Seattle, WA
Jun 8, 2007 7:15P
Kendall Theater Boston, MA
Jun 8, 2007 7:15P
TBA Los Angeles, CA
Jun 15, 2007 7:15P
Century Center Cinema Chicago, IL
Jun 15, 2007 7:15P
Lagoon Cinema Minneapolis, MN
Jun 22, 2007 7:15P
Plaza Frontenac Cinema St. Louis, MO
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:08 pm

I didn't see the movie, but I saw a GIANT crowd last night about 2am leaving the theater after Harry Potter. On a Tuesday night!! :shock:

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:42 pm

I CANNOT WAIT TO GO SEE IT! I'm almost as exited about the movie as I am about the book! :wink:
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Jen-

I completely agree with you, friday night I am there!
Susan

Melinda

Postby Melinda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:18 pm

I was one of those people who saw Harry Potter on Tuesday Night (Wednesday morning) and got out of the theater a little after 2am.

I thought it was the best film adaptation of the books so far and it amazes me when I watch Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone that these fine young actors in Order of the Phoenix are the same people. (they just all look so young in the first two movies...or maybe I'm just getting old! :lol: )

Now the countdown for the book begins...
(I couldn't really begin it until I saw the movie)

Melinda

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:57 am

I am so excited to go see the movie tonight! I had to see it before the book comes out. I am even more excited to read the final installment of Harry's adventure though. I cannot wait!
--Jen
“Tell me which part

Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND

That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”

-- Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:47 am

In my attempt to win mother of the year award (lol) I brought my teenage daughter and some of her girlfriends into Harvard Square (aka Hogwart Sqare) for a BIG Harry Potter Party and Concert last night. Actually it was pretty fun watching everyone, she got her book at about 12:30 and read till about 4:00...but now she wants to take her time to and slow down to enjoy this last volume..!! I never got into these books but I figure there are worse things she could be into!! Saw some pretty neat costumes, the whole night was a trip!! The system the Coop came up with was pretty lame, you had to wait in line to get a wrist band that only let you wait, (not in numerical order) in a line later on!!?? We had fun and it was a beautiful night so no big deal, but we ran across the street to Out of Town News, and bought it there at about 12:30(almost no lines no waiting!) At the Coop it would have been well past 1:30 before we got it.

( Side note)
While waiting in lines I' was reading A Death in Belmont, by Sebastian Junger (The Perfect Storm, another favorite of mine). It is a very interesting story about the Boston Strangler, (circa 1960's).. and has many references to Cambridge. I have more to read but so far it seems as if the actual Boston Strangler worked on Junger's parents home and there is a picture of them together when Junger was an infant!!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:30 pm

I have seen "Once" twice now. :P

It is such a beautiful movie. It is about people making music. Irish people no less. So in addition to pretty music, there is gorgeous scenery and fun accents.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:46 am

Speaking of the film "Once" I heard Glen Hansard on the radio y'day covering a Grateful Dead song...."oooh wee, ride me high, tomorrow's the day" in the lyrics. I'm now on board with trying to see this film. :D

Saturday I passed on Dustin Hoffman's new children's movie in lieu of one I'd heard almost nothing about. It was a timimg thing, and my wife suggested I see a movie called "Gone Baby Gone." The only thing I knew about it going in was that it was Ben Affleck's debut as a director.

Set in Boston, with Ben's brother Casey in the lead role, it's a story about child abduction and the efforts made to find out who dunnit.

Rough subject matter and violence throughout, so not for the kiddos. It's rare that I see a movie without having read something about the story or seen the actors talk about it on some talk show. I kind of enjoyed that aspect of it to start with, almost like seeing a film at a festival before there's any buzz.

I enjoyed it alot and can easily recommend it.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Twas family day on Sunday and we decided to get my wife caught up on some of the kid's movies she had missed out on.

The coin flip included : Alvin and the Chipmunks. My son's strong desire to show his mom this one negated the need to flip the coin. I could hardly argue, it's a cute movie and besides, Alvin and the chipmunks are musical heroes of mine from childhood. It was the third time in a month to see it --and while I highly recommend this sweet little movie, I'd suggest stopping after two viewings.

The other movie up for a vote was Disney's "Enchantment." I enjoyed the movie immensely, a real surprise if you knew my inability to stay awake at kid's movies these days. I started to nod off, but then it grabbed me and did not let go. The heroine is a real scene stealer, and stole my heart.

My wife has not seen the movie....but asked the important question:

"How was Patrick Dempsey's hair?"

She's a huge fan of Gray's Anatomy and he's half the reason why. :wink:

"put it this way, honey, I'm changing my name to Patrick Dempsey." :lol:

Highly recommend this storybook love story from the folks at Disney.

The only caveat being that Susan Sarandon shines as a mean old evil stepmother with the magical powers to turn herself into a haggard old peasant woman (somewhat scary) and later on a dragon which was very scary....and that's according to my 9 year old son.

With the Oscar nominee announcement this morning.....my proverbial moving going whistle has been whet, anew.

So much art...so little time. :?
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:34 pm

I was thinking of going to see 27 dresses tonight... mostly because a lot of it was filmed around places I know in Rhode Island... nothing else that is out right now grabs my attention... though Paddy I hadn;t heard of Enchanted and that does look cute and a great one for the kids. And the bonus is now it is playing at the bargain theatre!! Will try to check that one out soon.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Patti

When we went to the movies Sunday, the only other movie that would've worked out time wise for me to see while my son and wife saw the chipmunks movie was 27 Dresses.

We are enamored with all the actors from the hit tv show "Gray's Anatomy" and of course Kathryn Heigel has become something of a Hollywood A- Lister ever since her role in the smash hit "Knocked Up."

I saw her on Letterman last week and they showed a clip from 27 Dresses. It looked okay, hard to tell really. It does star another of my favorite actors these days...Edward Burns.

On a sad note, the world has lost another talented film star. Just learned that actor Heath Ledger has died. He was found in his apartment in New York City today. They found drugs at his bedside and overdose appears to be the cause of death at this time.

RIP Heath Ledger.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:25 pm

No Country for Old Men

WOW...

:shock:

This movie lives up to it's hype, and that's all I'll say, for now.

:wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:48 am

Saw Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson in "Bucket List" and the new Diane Lane movie called "Untraceable." Both were quite enjoyable. Had a sneak peek at the Daniel Day Lewis movie called "There Will Be Blood" and sat riveted to the screen and story. It's on my list of must see movies.

Channel surfing the other night and landed on a movie I can't help but stop and watch. David Carradine as Woody Guthrie in "Bound For Glory."

Love that movie, always have. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 pm

Stayed up late the other night watching "Pittsburgh" starring Jeff Goldblum. It's a movie served up "mockumentary" style with Jeff as himself returning to his hometown of Pittsburgh to star in the musical "The Music Man."

An interesting and entertaining "must see" for fans of Mr. Goldblum.

I got a kick out trying to tell if his anxieties were for real or not. He is an actor, and a damned good one, afterall. :wink:

The bonus for me were all the scenes shot on location in "the burgh." I lived there for a few years in the late 90's......love that town. 8)

Ed Begley, Jr., Ileana Douglas, and Moby are in the movie, as themselves.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 pm

We're planning on going to see 'There will be blood' tomorrow - it's had very good reviews and Daniel Day-Lewis won the Golden Globe and the Bafta (last Sunday) for Best Actor. Guess he's a strong bet for the Oscar too.

Saw 'No Country for Old Men' a couple weeks ago - very violent film but I can see why it has received the plaudits it has, the cinematography is stunning. Javier Bardem is just so spooky.....he also did 'the double' as Best Supporting Actor. When I watched the BAFTAS I just didn't recognise him, he looks so different in real life from the film - great performance.

My favourite film in recent weeks has been'The Kite Runner' - it had me in tears and I'm currently reading the book and that's had the same effect. Such a moving story and the young boy who plays Hassam in the film just tugs at the heart strings.

On my list of 'to sees' is 'The Bucket List' I've been a Jack Nicholson fan forever and just love watching him on screen.

Why is it that good movies all seem to come out in batches at the same time?

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Jela,

I read Kite Runner but haven't seen the movie yet. An incredibly emotional book, in my opinion. I had to put it down a couple of times and was thankful I finished it in my back yard, alone, cos' I was sobbing uncontrollably at the end. I have "A Thousand Splendid Suns," which I heard is just as good/emotional. Haven't picked it up yet, but will in the near future.

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I've also got 'A Thousand Splendid Sons' and it'll probably be the next one I read. Great minds think alike!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:11 am

We took our son and a couple of his friends to see "The Spiderwick Chronicles" tonight and my son said afterwards it was the best movie he's ever seen. I worried a bit that it might give him nightmares. His buddies said they enjoyed it, too, although they also admitted they closed their eyes a few times. Here's what movie critic Roger Ebert said:

"The Spiderwick Chronicles" is a terrific entertainment for the whole family, except those below a certain age, who are likely to be scared out of their wits. What is that age? I dunno; they're your kids.

But I do know the PG classification is insane, especially considering what happens right after a father says he loves his son. This is a PG-13 movie, for sure. But what will cause nightmares for younger kids will delight older ones, since "The Spiderwick Chronicles" is a well-crafted family thriller that is truly scary and doesn't wimp out.

What was not lost on me.....it's a Nickelodeon presents movie and whenever the goblins bled....it was slime green!!! :lol: Nick Nolte has a nice cameo in the movie. Martin Short is the voice of the "HONEY LOVIN" good goblin and almost steals the movie.

The ending will steal your movie loving heart. :cry:
paddy

Return to “Say Something”