One song before you leave this world...

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

JayceK

One song before you leave this world...

Postby JayceK » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:49 pm

I guess I just have too much free time today but I've been thinking (and that can be a bad thing). If I had only a few moments left on this earth before I peacfully slipped into the great unknown, what is the last song I would listen to? I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be morbid or anything I just think it is a very thought provoking question. What would it be? I'm curious to know what yall's would be too.

There are some Ellis songs that are definetly up there. Like "Conversation With a Ghost" and "Weightless" just relax me. (there are many more but I'll spare you). "The Other Side" by Don Conoscenti is a big contender. I recently saw him at The Blue Door here in OKC and man I love that song. "Hold On" by Antje Duvekot... just great.

But out of all these, and no offense to any present company (*cough*Ellis*cough*), I would probably choose a song by Iron and Wine called "The Trapeze Swinger". I just love the lyrics and the way various instruments are subtley and slowly added until the end when it's quite a bit bigger than when it started. The lyrics are herehttp://tinyurl.com/qhu86 if you want to read them. I may have to reconsider it though.. it's got one oddly placed F-bomb hehe. But for now that's my choice.

So what would your's be? Try to choose just ONE, it's really hard. And I've kind of depressed myself typing this all out :cry:. Anyway, lets hear it!
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:11 am

JayceK....hard to pin down the one song, the last song, I'd like to hear before I go. I'll land on one someday, just haven't a clue right now.

On a similar note, the HBO promo for the movie 'Walk The Line' - the movie starring Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash, reminded me of this thread. With an interesting twist. As scenes from the movie were playing, the voiceover was posing the following question:

'If you were about to be hit by a truck, what's the one song you would sing?...the song that would best make " a statement " about who you are.

In the background....Johnny Cash's song 'Ring Of Fire' was playing.

So beyond the last song one might choose to hear before they pass on, the one song you'd sing to tell the world who you are.

Maybe equally difficult to choose just one.........something to ponder tho.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:29 pm

Yes, that's an interesting perspective too! And, on a much more shallow level, what I think I'm getting at is that if you can say a song is good enough to be the last song you hear it must be a REALLY good song. I'm curious about those truly meaningful songs and why they are what they are.
By the way, I love Walk The Line. Joaquin Phoenix is a remarkable actor.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

Return to “Say Something”