How 'bout the good old rolling question?

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:26 pm

That would be awake, although I've been so tired during some runs I felt like I would fall asleep. Happened this afternoon as a matter of fact. Very hot and humid.

Canoe all the way.

Next:

What's the highest mountain you've climbed?
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:22 am

yeah right! highest mountain I've climbed! as if!

I've driven up to paradise base camp on Mt. Rainier outside Seattle. It's one of things we ususally did when our tourist friends and family came for visits.

Besides, I'm a social climber, not a mountain climber... :lol:

Kidding aside, we had the unique property situation in Washington that allowed us to see the following from our house:

Mt. Rainier
Mt. Baker
The Cascades
The Olympics
The Skyline of Seattle
The Space Needle
Sea Tac Airport Planes taking off and landing
The skyline of Tacoma
Vashon Island
Puget Sound

I did climb the stairs in my house almost everyday tho.

If it's not too late to add an EP ep to the new realease, an imaginary bonus group of songs that did not make the cut, what's your top 5?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:32 am

Heck, it's easier to figure out what's the tallest mountain I've climbed (which would take some research, and why I didn't try to answer that one) than to choose an extra 5 songs for the "Essential" CD.

Please, someone else needs to take this one on. (that Paddy, he does pose some difficult questions!) :lol:
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:37 am

1. Acoustic version of Blacktop Train
2. Weightless
3. Live, "full band" (DonCon, Flynn, Radoslav, Chris, etc.) version of Ring of Fire
4. No Surrender (hee hee)
5. Mrs. Jones

~OR~

Any previously unreleased EP song

~OR~

Any new, funked up versions (live or otherwise) of an old fave

My question:
Favorite Ellis Paul duet/vocal (or performance) combination?

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:38 am

See, Wendy, we great "from away" Maine transplant minds think alike! Or we're at least online at the same time...
:oops:
~L~

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:43 am

Ahh, I love Ellis Paul singing harmony on a song called "Goodbye Girl" with Beth McCumber. It's on a CD Beth did with her brother Kort. Take a listen to "Goodbye Girl" on "Until I Return" here:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mccumber

Next question:

In addition to Ellis Paul, who is the other "Folk Heavyweight" who is featured on that CD?

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:16 am

That would be Don Con. Yes?

OK, with all these thunder storms flitting around, when the power goes out do you curse or relax? Flashlights or candles?

I ask because it seems odd that I find myself relaxing once the power has gone. It happens often enough here that every corner of our house holds a flashlight, along with candles/oil lamps which get lit asap.
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:57 am

Wendy, timely question as our power went out last nite around 9pm and remains off nearly 14 hours later. While we had candles to light there were not near enough at the ready. Funny, this storm seem to come out of nowhere and some folks think it was as close to a tornado as you can get with all the tree limbs sheered off around here. Our once pristine neighborhood has a whole lot of cleaning up to do. I'd be relaxing if not for all the good samaritan work I've been doing this morning trying to help neighbors with their new found yardwork. Then I'll get around to my own. For now, they're repoting power might be out thru the weekend, so if anyone's up for a barbeque come on over cuz the grills are gonna being fired up all over the area lest everything goes to spoil.

Stuff like this makes you realize just how bad the gulf coast region has suffered since the big storm hit last season. The home depot has sold out of generators and a neighbor who works there says 1,000 are due in later today. My comcast was out for close to 2 weeks and I so enjoyed the break in noise. I'm really not all that interested in watching tv after such a break. So the peace and tranquility around here is somewhat welcomed.

My neighbor has a friend with a 200 yr. old tree that came down on a power line nearby so I think we have someone to blame...lol.

One bonus....Starbucks was flowing free this am with no way to ring up sales.....the baristas were doing pretty well on tips to be sure.

Uh let's see, my question of the day.......

What's the longest you've ever gone without electricty in the house and how did you cope?
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:26 am

Glad to see you got your power back, Paddy!

We were lucky enough to be without it for just 3 days during the massive northeast ice storm a bunch of years ago. That storm took down literally hundreds of thousands of trees and phone poles all over northern NewEngland and nearby parts of Canada. There were folks left without power for a month or more in some parts. There was no loss of life in this state, however, since neighbor helped neighbor in a very wonderful way (including the armies of workers from all over the place who came to help replace poles and re-string wires). How did we stay warm? Woodstoves. How did we cook, heat water, etc? Wood and campstoves. It was pretty much an adventure but I'm thankful we weren't among those few who had to figure out life-without-power for a month or more... (most of them invested in generators or found other places to stay, after a while)

I know this Q has been done before, but now that we're in the midst of a nasty heat and humidity wave I'll ask again:

Do you prefer Hot&Humid or Cold&Dry? (e.g. extremes of summer or winter?)
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:47 am

COLD AND DRY!!!

I figure - you can always add another layer of clothes on; there's only so much you can take off and still keep a measure of decency... :oops:

Quick question, not much thought (sorry!):

Wine: Red or White? or Beer?

~Lauren

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:06 am

BEER

Next:

Who is a favorite artist you've never seen perform live?

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:12 am

Jann Arden. :( And can you believe that although she was playing in Munich the day I landed there for the EP show in Germany, I opted to go to the EP show. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

dexsta

Postby dexsta » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:29 am

fav artist i've seen live was a band called "Six and Out" a few years ago. An aussie band that i stumbled across.

My question is:
"I'm travelling to Macedonia next year with my girlfriend. Should I make a detour and come to the states as i'm dying to see an EP concert."

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:33 am

Adrian,

Do you actually think one of us is going to say "No"? ;)

Of course you should make a detour!!! :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:34 am

YES!!!

Like, duh. :wink:

Full moon or starry, starry nights?

~Lauren

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:52 am

Starry, starry nights - especially when I can get way up north, or someplace else without the distractions of our artificial lights...... I miss those skies down here.

Mentioning Starry Night - hmmm - next questoin:

What is your favorite Van Gogh painting ? Mine might be (surprise) The Potato Eaters. He is my favorite painter of all....
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Good Gosh I'm the one who is last at the table. I am surrounded by fast women and I mean that most respectfully.

Beer - thanks again SE for the Corona w/Lime - We have the next round

Hot and humid - thank you very much - I'm a Texan

Starry, Starry Nights squared.

I'll let the question ride.
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:27 am

OK, revival time...

I'll choose V.V.G.'s Landscape at Twilight as my favorite. The sky he paints is just wonderful (think Full of Wonder) and those blue roofs... I want to BE in those fields at that time; the light must have been amazing.

see it here: http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/gogh/html/nonplug/69f.htm

New Q:
If you could play any instrument in the world, which would it be (and why, of course)
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:27 pm

Hmmm... I'd have to say harmonica. And I mean really wail on it. You could always carry it around, and just whip it out when the mood struck you, and shock the socks off people.
:mrgreen:

Now, my question was inspired by a Bonnie post on another thread:

Who was the first folk act (singer or group) that you fell for?

Mine was Peter, Paul, & Mary - I remember climbing way up into the nosebleed seats at the Syracuse opera house (is there one? something like that) to see them when I was about 8 years old. *sigh* gotta love the classics!

~Lauren

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 pm

Great Question , Lauren :!: and if I may, :oops: Let's ALL answer this one.

Townes Van Zandt

Live at the Old Quarter, Houston Texas

Double Live Lp

Pancho and Lefty hooked me.

I was 17 and listening to Joni and Neil and Jackson and Kenny Loggins with Jimmy Messina - sittin in. Along came this record. My best friend's older brother was into Townes and had this new LP. His jokes and overall demeanor onstage had my interest piqued. His songs really caught my ear.

I was standing among a group of students one summer school morning in 1977 singing the chorus to this song just under my breath. A girl I had barely met 10 minutes earlier looked my way and said: Townes Van Zandt.

We were married 5 months later.

So be careful folks :!: ....... :wink:
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:40 pm

And I hope at least one of his songs was played at your wedding! :lol:

I grew up on PP&M, and have loved them as long as I can remmeber. Have quite the collection, on CD & vinyl. My fave? The original "brick wall" album (who can beat "lemon tree" and "if I had a hammer"???) though I'll always have a soft spot for Poly Von...

The question (apparently) stands....

Last edited by Lauren on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:14 am

Yikes this is difficult.
I too grew up with PP&M - remember being the only one who knew all the lyrics to Puff the Magic Dragon so had to sing it in front of my second grade class (that would be about 1961?). I never really thought of them as "folk singers", at least not at that age. They just sang good songs! :lol:

I think the first really "fell for" folk artist for me was Cliff Eberhardt. I heard and saw him even before I knew of John Gorka, for some reason. A little venue in Maine... there used to be a wonderful place in Blue Hill called the Left Bank where he played often. Plaintive, witty, self-deprecating, articulate, and down-right funny, he sang songs that made me feel...whatever they were about. He's worth checking out, if you haven't heard him before.
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:44 am

Lauren, nope, no songs at our wedding..... a real last minute JP kind of ceremony. The song I do remember at our reception dinner was one sung every day of the year somewhere: Happy Birthday as it was my bride's 18th Birthday :!: Her idea, not mine. :wink:

Wendy, great story about PPM and singin Puff in 2nd grade. Also, your first folkie to ever fall for Cliff Eberhart. Nice find. We fell pretty hard for his music too but funny thing is we have never seen him play live. He just didn't really seem to play in Texas much. His record with Richie Havens on shared vocals on The Long Road is one of my all time faves.

I'm enjoying these stories. :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:09 pm

Mine was James Taylor - must have been about 13 or 14 I guess when 'Sweet Baby James' found me.

It was many years later before I got to see him live and have seen him a few times now - still does it for me and 'Hourglass' released a few years ago is one of his best.

About a year or so ago I was sorting through books and came across the Bible that had been given to all pupils when we started secondary school (age 11) and what do you think was between the pages - yep a photo of sweet baby James himself! Brought back memories of a very impressionable teenager I can tell you.

So just to remind, the question is

Jela

dexsta

Postby dexsta » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:55 am

well the first folk act/singer that i fell for was an australian pub band called Weddings Parties Anything. I quite liked them, although they dispanded years ago, i still enjoy listening to some of their music. This is probably one of their more famous songs called Fathers Day, which i've taken the liberty to upload to my website. Click on the link for the song: www.dexsta.net/mp3/fathersday.mp3

My rolling question is:
"What's you favourite drink of choice?"

I myself am onto my 8th drink of the night. 2 whiskey and cokes and my 6th vodka cruiser at the moment, and i'm sitting here listening to Chris Isaak.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:02 am

Coffee for me. I am my Father, I guess. Never understood his passion for it as a kid. Hot, Hot, Texas day, were out somewhere for lunch, it's 100 degrees in the shade, we all order iced cold bevs - not him - coffee, please.
WHAT? Dad, how can you prefer Hot Coffee on a day like today? He'd take some ice from the water served and drop a couple cubes in to take the scald off and he was good to go. So it started slow for me in High School and I'm not sure when the true addiction kicked in, maybe night shift. I was slow to warm up to Starbucks but now I'm hooked. Don't enjoy the thin stuff at WaWa at all. No flavored coffees or creamers either. And forget about decaf, just won't drink the stuff. Living in SEATTLE for 4 years only furthered my knowledge and appreciation. Am I a coffee snob? Maybe, but I don't think so. Just that it goes so good with Folk music and almost everything else in my life. I like it in all manners of dress too. With or without cream, same for sugar, any combo works. Antje says on one of her cds:" You guys know Ellis Paul? I just love him, that's all." In that vein, I ask: you guys know Juan Valdez? On Dane Cook's Tourgasm special on HBO covering a tour of Dane and 3 friends( all comics) on a tour bus for maybe a month, one of the comics looks into the camera just before taking the stage and says: Coffee and cigarettes folks, better than therapy.
Sorry to say he's probably right. It's worked for me for years.

Oh sorry, didya mean alcoholic drink? Uh, Beer...Iced cold beer here.

If you could have any car as a second vehicle to drive just for fun from your past, ya know, the one that got away, describe it. Mine would be my 1964 VW convertible bug I had when I was 18. Got it for free and my dad and I tinkered and tuned it just enough for it to last about a year. Just the most fun car ever to drive.
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:49 am

I'm not going to answer the rolling question (leaving that open to the masses yet) but I did want to respond to Paddy's post!

I, too, am addicted to coffee, though I prefer mine iced, year round. And yes, I live in Maine. And having recently spent some time in PA, the fact that you mentioned WaWa coffee (which some of my friends are addicted to) just cracked me up!

Love that Antje quote (I actually squealed the first time I heard it), and I love Dane Cook. Yep, just love your post, Paddy! :mrgreen:

So, just as a reminder, the question is:

If you could have any car as a second vehicle to drive just for fun from your past, ya know, the one that got away, describe it.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:09 pm

Lauren, thanks for the kind words on my post and oh yeah, Conshohocken. I remember you saying how much fun it is to say and hoping it's as much fun to read.

We landed in the land of WaWa almost 2 years ago. I located the nearest Starbucks and was good. While exploring the region I noticed the strangest phenomenon. A mini mart called WaWa, actually more of a megamart or a minimart on steroids at the very least. Two dozen gas pumps outside and at least that many coffee pots full of fresh java for the masses who stopped by throughout the day. I tried a cup and was not impressed. No worries.

Fast forward and I'm in a car with my new real estate agent looking for our new home. She's driving and I'm looking at scenery. We pass another of the many WaWas in these parts and I have to ask her: Karen, what is up with all the WaWa stores? The first words out of her mouth: Oh my husband just loves their coffee. Huh? Seems the home brew just wasn't cuttin it anymore for him. She could even buy the WaWa beans and grind them for homemade but nope, had to be at the WaWa. I am crazy laughing as she's telling me this story. The icing on her story about him and his WaWa coffee was that he refused to put one of the new fangle designed coffee lids that's raised and has a lil hole in it for sipping. No siree, he only wanted the coffee lids from yesteryear, the flat ones with the perforated opening. You want to know why WaWa is so successful around here. They know their customers. They offer about 3 types of lids to go atop the same size to go cups. It's too funny to me. They are truly hooked on this stuff tho from what I've seen. They are really good folks though giving alot to local events. We are there every other day for something, lucky for me there's a Starbucks right across the street.

Glad you enjoyed it. :D
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:14 pm

Conshohocken - BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! :lol:

Oh, that is a wonderful story - thank you Paddy! My friends and I were in the woods for a week or so, away from civilization, and all I heard about was that dang WaWa coffee. I didn't think it even measured up to DD, myself, but... I'm not a native liberty-stater, either. (Hi Karen!) I try to stay away from the chains, though - DD and Starbucks - and go with the local offerings, which are everywhere here in Portland. (East Coast, though West Coast is over flowing with them too, I'm sure)

And, since I had to actually go back to the thread to find out what topic I was posting this on :oops: I am going to repost the standing question (sorry for going so off topic, Karen!)

If you could have any car as a second vehicle to drive just for fun from your past, ya know, the one that got away, describe it.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Okay, this old car has been idling at the light for going on 15 days. Can you imagine sitting at a light for that long waiting for it to turn green. That last notion sounds like a metaphor waiting for a songwriter to find it. :wink:

In hopes that we will someday get this old rolling question rolling again, I offer this for your potential listening pleasure next time you find yourselves stuck at a red light waiting for the darn thing to change colors.

This is from David Wilcox on his fine first Album.

Daddy's Money

from The Nightshift Watchman

Look what Daddy bought her for her birthday
Well it's idling beside me at the light
And Sweet Sixteen is fussing in her rearview mirror
Making sure her hairdo looks alright

Well it's my favorite form of stoplight entertainment
Watch what happens when I try to make her smile
You can tell just by the way that she accelerates
She's trying to tell me that I'm not her style

Chorus

'Cause, She's Got Daddy's money
Daddy's Money
Daddy's Money holds her hand

She ain't got no back bone
But she's strong enough to stand
Daddy's money holds her hand

Well then I coast up right beside her at the next light
I can't help that there's amusement on my face
Because her car must cost twenty times what mine does
Now she's got to run the light to put me in my place

Chorus

Well I really didn't mean to hurt her feelings
There's a tender heart that hides behind the wealth.
Maybe if a baby gets too many shiny toys
She never finds the value in herself

Chorus

Beep Beep....... :P

:wink:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:52 am

Lauren wrote:If you could have any car as a second vehicle to drive just for fun from your past, ya know, the one that got away, describe it.

I miss my old car Louis. He was nothing special, just a Mitsubishi Mirage, but he was the first new car I ever bought. Plus he was a "He" when everyone else calls their cars "She". Before you ask, I have no idea why. :P

I will go easy since this has been out of comission for so long.

Do you prefer to see a movie in the theater or at home on DVD/TV?
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:14 pm

Oh boy, the rolling question is back!

I prefer to curl up on the couch with my crinkly down alternative quilt and a certain someone to cuddle with. I rarely make it to the theater for movies so I end up renting or watching it On Demand.

What are your Thanksgiving plans?

And since I like to answer my own question: We rotate every year and I'm very excited to be having dinner at my parents' house. My mom makes the juiciest turkey in the family. We'll probably have about 10 guests.
-Katie

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:19 pm

We always get together at my parent's house, but this year I think we are spending it with friends of my Mom's. We are honorary family members since my sister and I fixed her up with her new hubby!! :D

Do you have a nervous habit? What is it?

BillE

Postby BillE » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Clinching my teeth - I decided to jump in on the sexy question...

Rise and Shine! 5:00am or Noon?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:00 pm

Lately 4:30 AM...but that's just the insomniac in me. My circadia rythm was all messed up after years - 12 or more - of working a dreadful midnight to 8am schedule...there are days, even still, I get sleepy midday.

Out of curiosity, these days, do you spend more time browsing Ellis Paul's website and this forum than you do listening to Ellis' music?
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:06 pm

No.

Sometimes I will do them simultaneously though. :mrgreen:

Do you do things right away or procrastinate?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:17 pm

As DeNiro said in Taxi Driver: " Are You Talkin To Me? "

Ya might as well be......I'm a major procrastinator.....it's a burden.

Do you prefer to stay up late or turn in early?
paddy

BillE

Postby BillE » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:49 pm

Since I wake up at at 5 or 6 AM no matter what time I go to bed, early it must be.

"Rattle My Cage" or "Ghosts"?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:45 pm

Clarification please:

Is Ghosts the untitled hidden track on an early Ellis Paul release?
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:21 am

Oooh, "Rattle My Cage" please.
I love the old-style blues rythm and will never forget seeing Ellis singing that song with a sign-language translator up on the stage beside him... He occasionally had to stop just to watch what she was doing with these lyrics that she'd never heard before. What a hoot! :lol:

I'll follow that question trend:
Maria's Beautiful Mess or Take Me Down ?
-wendy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:18 am

Maria's Beautiful Mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

No offense Take Me Down. :P Actually I probably could not have answered if given the choice between any other Ellis songs. But for me it is always MBM. :D

What is your favorite TV show?

BillE

Postby BillE » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:29 pm

Sorry, Paddy. Yes, Ghosts (or whatever the real name is) is the hidden song on Carnival. Now that I listen to everything on an iPod, and I long since downloaded that song and eliminated the 2 minute intro delay, I forget that it's not always on the top of everyone's list.

Survivor, CSI

Salad or Mac and Cheese?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 pm

Gray's Anatomy.

Seriously.

What's your favorite and least favorite food item on a Thanksgiving Day Table?
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:38 pm

I will answer both! :D

Mac and Cheese

and

Kasha and Bows a traditional jewish dish made with pasta and buckwheat.

I don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving. I will eat it during the rest of the year, but not that day. As a kid, my Mom would name our holiday turkeys. I couldn't bring myself to dig in as they were passing around Bob or Francine. :shock:

Ham or Turkey for the holidays?

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:31 pm

In an effort to get this thread rolling again........

What are your plans for New Years?

Return to “Say Something”