Thank You Note for Mr. Paul

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Alex13F

Thank You Note for Mr. Paul

Postby Alex13F » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:55 pm

This is just a 'Thank You'.

For 2009 I was a National Guardsman deployed to Iraq in support of combat operations in that theater. I was 22 when I left and turned 23 while there. This was the first time I ever had to undergo such a drastic change in my previously college-centered life.

We deployed to the desert of southern Iraq, a seemingly endless expanse of dry heatstroked brown earth and set up our temporary year-long homes. It wasn't exactly the "cradle of civilization" it used to be. The once water rich region had since been drained by Saddam years before and left only a depressing dreariness in its place.

The one thing I did have to keep me centered though, was Mr. Paul's music. It kept me sane. It kept me 'me'. Songs like "Home", "Angel in Manhatten", and "Snow in Austin", (among others), kept me calm, kept me present, and helped me get to sleep at night after loudspeakers finished warning, "Incoming! Incoming!".

Your music helped me over there, (and I'm sure many others as well), more than you might know. It was no small thing. Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to express this to you Nov 19th in Bethlehem, PA. I look forward to it. Maybe I'll even get to hear a few of the songs that kept me.

So thank you. For bringing me home. Hopefully that isn't too cornball, because I mean it.

paddyinthepub

Re: Thank You Note for Mr. Paul

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:43 am

Alexi13F, that was one of the best posts I think I have ever seen posted on this website or any other for that matter and I want to take this opportunity to say 'Thank You' to you for your service to our country and for sharing your words with the good folks here kept safe all the while you were in Iraq assuring we could remain so.

Here's a song I hope helps convey my gratitude.

Show The Way by David Wilcox

Welcome Home & Welcome Aboard. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:17 am

Not cornball at all. Welcome home, thank you for your service to our country and for sharing here. EP touches so many in many different ways but this was particularly special. I hope you hear the songs you want to hear on November 19. I have a feeling you will. :)
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 am

I'd like to echo, Paddy's message!

Welcome home and a big THANK YOU!

I'm glad Ellis kept you grounded! He has a way of doing that!

Monica R.

Alex13F

Postby Alex13F » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments. Seems like a nice small forum community you have here.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:45 pm

We are indeed, Alex, thanks for saying so! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Alex13F

Postby Alex13F » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Just an update here. I went to the show last night at Godfrey Daniels and it was just fantastic. I mean talk about having already high expectations surpassed completely.

I did get a chance to thank Mr. Paul with a Brigade Command Sergeant Major coin I received in Iraq. I don't know how coherent my mutterings were, but he was very polite.

I think I'm going to go into withdrawal now that it's over. I can't stop thinking about what a good night it was all around.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Alex,

Sorry we didn't get to formally meet last night! (I was the person selling merch.) So glad you enjoyed the show. Best thing for the withdrawal is to get to another show asap. :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Say Something”