Becky Grider

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Becky Grider

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 am

Friends,

Many of you already know (thanks for all the lovely e-mail) that we lost BeckyG yesterday afternoon after a relatively short illness. Miraculously, I got to Oklahoma yesterday before noon and was able to visit with her just 2 hours before she left this earth....so I am incredibly grateful. We had hoped to have Ellis play a song or two for her over the weekend, but that was not meant to be.....but she and I had so many unforgettable Road Trips....and those memories will sustain me in the days, weeks, years ahead. She was a best friend, a shining star, and the BIGGEST Ellis Paul promoter that I have ever known. :-) I know she would want me to go to as many shows as I can this weekend.....so that's what I plan to do. Ellis dedicated the show in Pryor last night to her.....and I could feel her spirit there with me.

Please do continue to keep her family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Re: Becky Grider

Postby monicar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 am

Karen,

I am so happy you got to spend some time with Becky!

I'm sure her spirit will be with you always and most definitely at every EP show!

xxoo,
MonicaR.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:18 am

I am so sorry to hear this news, especially for her family. I am glad you were able to see her karen, and even if she was not physically present at Ellis' show, her spirit will alwyas be there with the hundreds and thousands of people she introduced to his music.

Bonnie has posted a wonderful picture of the two of you from Vermont, enjoying a moment during the Ellis Paul weekend there.

"Undying friendship, unfailing love." Godspeed Becky.
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:22 am

Karen, we are so pleased that you got to see her before she left all of us; she was a dear friend to many of us on this board and she will be missed very much.

Condolences and sympathies to her family.

The Ellis shows this weekend will be very poignant, but she will be looking down on you all enjoying the music she loved so very much so yes do just that and think of her with that beautiful smile upon her face.

Hugs and kisses,
Jela + Richard

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:38 am

I am so glad you were able to visit with Becky.

Heaven has a new angel that will always Burn Brightly.

Peace and love to all of Becky's family and friends.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:58 am

True friends are so hard to come by sometimes and when you see friendships that have formed that will last a lifetime and beyond it just warms the heart. Karen, I'm sad today at the news that you, Ellis, and the greater music community has lost a kindred spirit and friend. Our thoughts today are with all of Becky's family and friends. Especially you. I'm sure she cherished your friendship as much as you hers. So glad to hear that you got to see her one last time. May that visit and all the great memories sustain you in the coming days, weeks, and years.

Just love the photo of the two of you in Vermont!

RIP, BeckyG!

:cry:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

danaj

Postby danaj » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks to the beautiful Becky, I found out about an amazing musician named Ellis Paul and subsequently became a member of an amazing online community of great, like-minded people who call themselves Devotees. She was an amazing and dear lady- we were all so lucky to have known her. And Karen, I'm so glad you made it in time to see her again... I had been wondering about that ever since I found out. (((hugs)))

I know that her spirit will be all around us whenever we enjoy the music she loved so much. For me, the words of Don Con put it best... She's just over on the other side...
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:26 pm

One of my favorite pictures of Becky, taken on her 50th birthday:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:23 pm

since i got so many comments on facebook, i want to share this picture here as well.

this was from the ellis weekend in arlington vermont in 2008.

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I am so sad to hear of Becky's sudden passing, but I'm so glad you were able to spend a little more time with her, Karen. My condolences to you, her family, her friends, and all her loved ones - the world of music has definitely lost a Devotee. The shows this weekend will be poignant, indeed.

So very, very saddened at this news.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:24 am

Becky's obituary has been published in the local newspaper The Norman Transcript and can be viewed online

Miss you Becky.

danaj

Postby danaj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Just arrived back at work after the lovely memorial for our beautiful, precious friend Becky. It was an outpouring of love and inspiration- just like her life... Thank you to Karen and her friends Dana and Marie and to her family, Ellis and Don Con for the beautiful words- both spoken and sung...

It will be strange at WoodyFest this year, not seeing her cheery smile or hearing her contagious laughter, not spotting her golden halo caused by the hot July sun shining thru her hair right down on the front row for the performances of her favorites... But I know she'll be right there with Woody and Bob Childers, enjoying it all and infusing the magical air of the festival with her presence.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

mm

Postby mm » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Thank you who were there for representing. I am sure that Tony felt the love of all her friends and the EP family. She was a remarkable woman.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Folks,

I am still reeling from the fact that the timing of BeckyG's passing enabled me to attend her memorial service yesterday. I have no words to describe the plethora of feelings inside me right now...

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Folks,

I'm sorry that I neglected to thank you all for your kind words and remembrances. Bonnie, that picture makes me smile. Thank you so much for sharing it.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 am

In the August 2010 issue of Maverick, Arthur Wood reviewed a couple of tributes to Woody Guthrie he attended whilst in the US (at Wildflower and Kerrville Festivals) and dedicated the article in memory of Becky.

I attach a copy and have already sent one to Becky's husband, Tony.

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks Jela.
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm

just home from an amazing Ellis Paul show. it was in a backyard and at the end of the song dragonfly, one landed right on his guitar! i think it was becky g's spirit enjoying a show on the road like she did when she was still with us. :-)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:55 am

Wow. I'm sure it was too. She always said she wanted to get to shows back east more. It's easier for her now. :)

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:just home from an amazing Ellis Paul show. it was in a backyard and at the end of the song dragonfly, one landed right on his guitar! i think it was becky g's spirit enjoying a show on the road like she did when she was still with us. :-)

Return to “Say Something”