2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver, BC

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver, BC

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Anybody else out there excited about the Vancouver Winter Olympics? Jela? :) Opening ceremony starts in a few minutes. I'm psyched....and content to be looking at snow from inside a warm house! :shock:

I visited Vancouver back in 2000. Lovely city.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver, BC

Postby Patti » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:37 am

Didn't get to watch last night but I did record the opening ceromonies.. will watch some time later this weekend..

Was out at Don White and Christine Lavin last night,, Mark Erelli tonight :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Visited Vancouver in 1986 on a 2 week break from an overseas assignment in mainland China. For tax purposes one could only be stateside 35 days in a calendar year to maintain tax exempt status. With a girlfriend in Texas we had to try and limit my trips home on breaks in order to maximize the benefit. One idea that worked was that I would fly from Bejing to Seattle, meet her there, and we'd duck into Canada. It was right in the middle of Canada hosting Expo '86. One highlight was seeing Kenny Loggins perform the mainstage there. I felt like I was home. It was one of the most beautiful cities and scenery I had ever seen. We spent 10 days touring Canada from Vancouver to Banff and back. Gorgeous!

There's good news and bads news coming next. The good news is Philadelphia will get the next Winter Olympics. Not really, but you get the idea what we're dealing with here in terms of snow and cold. The bad news is that besides it seeming to be an oddly warm time in Vancouver for the Winter Games I heard they were postponing the Downhill Skiing events today because of too much rain up there. On a truly sad and somewhat shameful note there's the tragedy on the men's luge where an athlete lost his life almost instantly in a crash on Friday. The talk is that the track in all it's high tech glory is simply too fast for the event. Canada has so much riding on gettting the Winter Games right it's really kind of sad to see the games have this shadow hanging over them from the start. Here's more on the story from news reports on the scene.

Fast Track Tragedy: Shame on Olympics
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:48 am

The time difference between us and Vancouver is 8 hours so the opening ceremony was on in the early hours and I missed it. I did however see a few clips on the Internet and it was particularly moving to see and hear the reception for the Georgian team. It was a terrible tragedy that a competitor lost his life practising for the luge.

We visited Vancouver in the early 90's and thought that it was a lovely city and certainly one that we'd both like to return to one day.

Hopefully, I will catch some of the action over the next few weeks, not all of it will be on late.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:16 am

Folks,

If you missed the Men's Figure Skating finals last night, here's Evan Lysacek's Gold Medal skate. Wow. :shock:

Evan Lysacek - Men's Final - 2010 Olympics

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Say Something”