Snowstorm - Feb. 5-6, 2010

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:45 am

Folks,

A state of emergency has been declared here and in most towns/counties in the area. Thankfully I still have power, but my family (mom, son & family, brother & family) who live in neighboring towns have been without power/heat since last night. I have never seen a snow so dense....in that the branches of trees are so glued together with snow that they look solid.

I took a few pictures last evening about 2 hours after the snow started to fall, then a few more about 45 minutes ago:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Re: Snowstorm - Feb. 5-6, 2010

Postby monicar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:02 am

Beautiful pics, Karen. Hope your power stays on throughout the storm! Snowing very lightly here, but we aren't supposed to get much! Stay safe!

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:19 am

WOW... I'ld say you aren't going anywhere for awhile...

That driveway looks pretty challenging even with just a light snowfall.

At least with snowfall you get a few days notice it is coming and you can prepare. Unlike, earthquakes, tidal waves.. etc..

32 Anniversary of the New England Blizzard of 78 this weekend.!!

Happy Shoveling..
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:21 am

32 years ago makes me feel OLD! I still remember the Blizzard of 78 like it was yesterday!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey! Thanks for the e-mails of concern! I survived the snowstorm of 2010! :)

OMG....we got 20+ inches of snow. What a nightmare. My mom lost electrical power Friday night, but somehow my son managed to shovel his place out and bring her here to my house Saturday evening. There was NO way I could shovel myself out of my driveway to get her....plus the roads were nearly impassable. My niece and brother and sister-in-law (who live in the same town as my mom) also were without power, so last night they joined us here....so I had a bit of a houseful. Thankfully they got power back today so my niece got her mom and dad back home and I ventured out to get a few groceries and take mom home. I was shocked at what I saw. I am not exaggerating when I say it looks like a war zone. It was a wet, heavy snow which resulted on tree branches and power lines down everywhere. Some lanes of roads are closed because of both. Many sides roads have still not been plowed. Just too much snow for the snow removal and power company crews. The bad news is that another 4-8" is predicted over Tues-Wed. I did not go into work today....and probably won't go in tomorrow either.

Philly got 28"! Paddy....did you dig out yet? :)

That stupid groundhog! :x

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Wow Karen what a pain... glad you had power and heat at least...

We are expecting some snow on Wed. but nothing like you got.

One song that comes to my mind is Snowed In, by Mark Erelli.. pretty song until you have lived it one to many times. Last year after about the 7 or 8th snowstorm Mark stopped singing that song and started playing AUGUST... Here's to August, I'll put in a special request to hear it Saturday night and dedicate to y'all.. :wink:

PS Last I read Paddy was trying to clean the gutter dams with a hair dryer. :shock:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Weather advisory one for the diary....

We're under blizzard watch conditions here. We were hit with 27.5 inches over the weekend. Just about dug out from that and lo and behold forecasts calling for another foot of snow that started last night around 7pm and will go thru midnight tonight. You guys know how I feel about the song but for once Midnight Can't Strike Soon Enough!

Being from Houston I'm something of a novice when it comes to snow. When we moved to Seattle I expected a lot more snow. It rarely falls in the lower elevations. First winter there we got slammed. My son was 2 and we were at home. Something took me outside on the back deck. In nothing but my fruit of the looms (briefs , if you must know) and a black wool coat. Barefoot. I was only going to be out there long enough to address something (less than a minute) and head back in. What I didn't know was that the door to the back deck was in the locked position so that you could exit thru the door but once closed it was locked. So there I am, hardly dressed, barefoot, and locked out of my house. In almost 10 inches of snow. I tried and tried to find a way into the house. I got into the garage but the door into the house was also locked. It was in the garage I found black dress shoes to put on my cold feet. Picture it.

Tried and tried again, to no avail, to get the attention of my son. He was but a few feet away sitting in front of his favorite Barney videos. The volume was up and I could see him clear as day thru the blinds. Singing happily along oblivious to my attempts to cut in long enough to have him notice me there at the window and come see what the fuss was all about. Nothing. It's about 10 am. We're relatively new in the neighborhood. The houses are packed together like sardines. My neighbor's kitchen and living room window face the back deck I'm on. I'm counting on the laughter in my head (theirs, if they are home, looking out at this sight) to keep me warm. It does. Finally, I find a window that offers a chance at entrance to the house. It's not a gimme. It's unlocked. But it's 10 feet off the ground I'm standing on. In a nice pair of dress shoes without socks. I'm 6 feet and I haven't a ladder. I scrounge around and find a makeshift woooden framed mesh screen the old homeowners had left under the deck. Looked like something you might mine gold with. I find this somehow appropos looking back. I make my way up and in. It takes a while. It's not pretty. I hope to God the neighbors are not home. I am, at last, back inside. My son looks up at me and smiles. I smile back.

He's old enough now to help me figure a way out of this snowy mess. You know, some things never change. :wink:

Reporting from Philadelphia where for the last several days I have caught myself singng a Shawn Colvin song just to maintain perspective while digging out from beneath this mountain of new fallen snow.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Nice story Paddy - make sure you all stay safe and warm.

We've had a few flurries here today but thankfully we don't get the extremes like you do. A couple inches of snow here is enough to grind the country to a halt.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 am

Paddy,

Thanks for that hilarious story. Made my day. :)

Finally made it into work today, but was shocked at how bad many of the roads still are. Had to have my driveway plowed for the 2nd time yesterday. My snow shoveling wasn't even making a dent in the amount of snow that had to be removed for me to be able to get out of the garage. I am sooooo ready for spring. I'll be happy though if we simply don't get any more snow....even if it's cold.

KarenZ
paddyinthepub wrote:Weather advisory one for the diary....

We're under blizzard watch conditions here. We were hit with 27.5 inches over the weekend. Just about dug out from that and lo and behold forecasts calling for another foot of snow that started last night around 7pm and will go thru midnight tonight. You guys know how I feel about the song but for once Midnight Can't Strike Soon Enough!

Being from Houston I'm something of a novice when it comes to snow. When we moved to Seattle I expected a lot more snow. It rarely falls in the lower elevations. First winter there we got slammed. My son was 2 and we were at home. Something took me outside on the back deck. In nothing but my fruit of the looms (briefs , if you must know) and a black wool coat. Barefoot. I was only going to be out there long enough to address something (less than a minute) and head back in. What I didn't know was that the door to the back deck was in the locked position so that you could exit thru the door but once closed it was locked. So there I am, hardly dressed, barefoot, and locked out of my house. In almost 10 inches of snow. I tried and tried to find a way into the house. I got into the garage but the door into the house was also locked. It was in the garage I found black dress shoes to put on my cold feet. Picture it.

Tried and tried again, to no avail, to get the attention of my son. He was but a few feet away sitting in front of his favorite Barney videos. The volume was up and I could see him clear as day thru the blinds. Singing happily along oblivious to my attempts to cut in long enough to have him notice me there at the window and come see what the fuss was all about. Nothing. It's about 10 am. We're relatively new in the neighborhood. The houses are packed together like sardines. My neighbor's kitchen and living room window face the back deck I'm on. I'm counting on the laughter in my head (theirs, if they are home, looking out at this sight) to keep me warm. It does. Finally, I find a window that offers a chance at entrance to the house. It's not a gimme. It's unlocked. But it's 10 feet off the ground I'm standing on. In a nice pair of dress shoes without socks. I'm 6 feet and I haven't a ladder. I scrounge around and find a makeshift woooden framed mesh screen the old homeowners had left under the deck. Looked like something you might mine gold with. I find this somehow appropos looking back. I make my way up and in. It takes a while. It's not pretty. I hope to God the neighbors are not home. I am, at last, back inside. My son looks up at me and smiles. I smile back.

He's old enough now to help me figure a way out of this snowy mess. You know, some things never change. :wink:

Reporting from Philadelphia where for the last several days I have caught myself singng a Shawn Colvin song just to maintain perspective while digging out from beneath this mountain of new fallen snow.

Return to “Say Something”