Movie: Crazy Heart

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Movie: Crazy Heart

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:56 am

Folks,

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I went to a movie on the first day of its release here in Pittsburgh. There has been such a buzz about Crazy Heart that I felt compelled to go. It was excellent. Jeff Bridges definitely channeled Kris Kristofferson in his portrayal of road-weary, whiskey-drinking, country musician Bad Blake. Channeled some Waylon Jennings too. :) He's already won a Golden Globe for his performance and I suspect he'll be nominated for an Oscar. Many of the songs for the movie were written or co-written by T-Bone Burnett (one of the movie's producers) which means the movie's soundtrack has been spun into gold. You will love the songs. The movie's theme song - "The Weary Kind" - was written by Ryan Bingham, who has a supporting role in the movie.

You can view 24 different little trailers and clips here:

Crazy Heart on IMDB

And T-Bone Burnett was interviewed about the movie recently by Terry Gross for Fresh Air on NPR here:

T-Bone Burnett on Fresh Air

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Re: Movie: Crazy Heart

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:24 am

Karen I am def. going to see this too.. Just started noticing the adds for this.. but I think it is only playing in selected theatres right now... thanks for the heads up about the interview and soundtrack..
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:48 am

Crazy Heart is on my list, too. Only learned about the movie when Golden Globe crowned T Bone Burnett and Ryan Bingham Best Song. I started looking at some of the trailers online and at IDMB and one of the connections to other movies I make with this film is that of The Wrestler starring Micky Rourke with music by Bruce Springsteen.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:15 am

Jeff Bridges has been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor (up against George Clooney and Colin Firth! Oh my!) and Ryan Bingham's "The Weary Kind" has been nominated as Best Original Song:

2010 Academy Award Nominees

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:17 am

The Crazy Heart soundtrack is #13 on Amazon's bestsellers list. (Nice to see that Patty Griffin's Downtown Church is #18.)

Crazy Heart soundtrack

WUMB has been playing tracks from the soundtrack....most noticeably (to my ear) "Hold On You" sung by Jeff Bridges.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 am

We went to see this film yesterday in London (it doesn't get a nationwide release until next Friday) and really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges is in virtually every single scene and as Karen says he definitely channels Kristofferson - the facial resemblance is remarkable.

The best surprise in the film was seeing Joel Guzman play accordion in one of the backing bands on screen. He regularly plays with Joe Ely and I've often remarked when watching Joel Guzman that he has the nicest smile in the music biz - his whole face just lights up. I'll never forget the first time I saw him - we were at the Cactus Cafe, Austin, 2004, watching Tom Russell and all of a sudden, seemingly from nowhere JG materialises on stage and just starts playing his accordion. He'd come in the door by the stage which opens onto the campus and it just seemed as if he was gate crashing the show - he went down a storm. At the time I had no idea who he was but have since seen him a few times, mostly with Joe Ely.

Anyway, back to the movie. It presents a picture of what life is like on the road for a booze addled country singer who has seen better times; I won't spoil the story line so I'll just say that it is well worth going to see.

Added bonus - hearing Townes Van Zandt's recording of 'If I Needed You'

The scenery (New Mexico) is stunning.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 am

Jela,

Thanks for the added info about Joel Guzman! Glad the movie made it across the pond so quickly! :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I went to see this last night and have to agree Jeff does do an excellent job acting and the bits of music were def. good sounding songs. I didn't recognize any of it, but like Bad Blake says in the movie while writing a new song " a great song is one you think you all ready know" (paraphrasing a bit) I am def. going to check out the soundtrack.

Colin Firth is in the movie and I can't help but see the resemblence to Adam Ezra.. hairstyle and all.. :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Colin Firth is in the movie? :?

KarenZ

Patti wrote:Colin Firth is in the movie and I can't help but see the resemblence to Adam Ezra.. hairstyle and all.. :lol:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 pm

It's Colin Farrell you mean not Colin Firth (he's in A Single Man, the Tom Ford directed film and up for a Best Actor Award for it so is in competition with Jeff Bridges for that).

I agree that there is a strong resemblance between Colin Farrell and Adam Ezra.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks Jela. I was wondering how I could have missed Mr. Darcy. ;-)

I definately must go see A Single Man! :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:18 pm

oops... sorry I guess I get those good looking Great Britian boys confused... funny thing though I was waiting to watch the credits to see who it was, and I figured it would have been one of the bigger names getting credit, but no, it was just rolling along among the "smaller" credits

ANOTHER Name that just had me confused, was T-Bone Burnett or T-Bone Wolk (Hall and Oats band) who I just a moment ago read has passed away.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:02 am

Folks,

In case you missed (or fell asleep during!) last nights Academy Awards ceremony, both Jeff Bridges (Best Actor) and Ryan Bingham/T. Bone Burnett (Best Orignal Song) won. Cool. 8)

See complete list of winners HERE.

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”