Grammy Awards - Jan. 31, 2010

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Grammy Awards - Jan. 31, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:13 am

Folks,

Here's a few nominees of possible interest:

WUMB's Best New Artist of 2009, Sarah Jaroz is nominated for a Grammy in the Best Country Instrumental Performance category.

Rosanne Cash & Bruce Springsteen are nominated in the Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals category.

Bob Dylan, Levon Helm, Willie Nelson, Wilco and Lucinda Williams are all nominated in the Best Americana Album category.

Ramblin' Jack Elliott nominated in Best Traditional Blues Album category.

Steve Earle, Neko Case, Tracy Chapman, Shawn Colvin and Elvis Costello all nominated in Best Contemporary Folk Album category.

Bill Miller nominated in Best Native American Music Album category.

Sugarland nominated in Best County Performance by a Duo or Group category.

See complete list of nominees HERE.

The Awards show will be broadcast on CBS at 8pm EST on Jan. 31, 2010.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Re: Grammy Awards - Jan. 31, 2010

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:24 am

I actually watched this last night. Haven't watched it in years. Pink blew me away. Anyone else see that?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 am

After the first couple numbers, I just couldn't watch any more. :-( Glad to see that Levon Helm won for best Americana album and Springsteen for best solo rock performance.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:03 am

I hear ya, Karen. My daughter wanted to watch it, so I surrendered my nightly dose of Criminal Minds. HA!

Pink has an incredibly beautiful voice and the song she did "Glitter in the Air" was really stunning in my opinion.

I'm so bummed out I fell asleep before Eminem, Drake and Lil Wayne performed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 am

I did watch some of this,didn't see or hear any of the winners you mentioned Karen but I did see Pink and she was amazing..

I don't know much about her or her music, but that performance was fantastic.. and I just googled and read the lyrics to the song "Glitter In The Air" and what beautiful song... new found respect that's for sure..

Pink's Grammy performance
Last edited by Patti on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 am

Patti,

I didn't see them either and don't know if they were part of the televised show or not. I just read the list of winners on the Grammy website.

KarenZ
Patti wrote:I did watch some of this,didn't see or hear any of the winners you mentioned Karen but I did see Pink and she was amazing..

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 am

This is the second time she's caught my attention. Can't remember what the other tune was. I don't really like most of her stuff, but when she does stuff like this, she's amazing. It was the highlight of the show for me!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 am

Pardon my french, butt, ooh la la la la la :D

Zee Pink performance was, how you say? magnifique!

Love was in zee air, no?

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:40 am

You are too funny. The outfit, or lack thereof, was something. Better than what Lady Gaga showed up in!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 am

We like to watch the red carpet lead up to shows like Grammy. Say what you will it's kind of like the lead up to the Superbowl. Only it's music.

Lady Gaga's not on my radar much.....but I get it. Her arrival, to me, was less than impressive. Kind of spectacle. I kind of enjoyed her opening number and when she disappeared then magically reappeared opposite Sir Elton John on dueling pianos I said okay, this is kind of cool.

Pink on the red carpet was also less than impressive. Ryan Seacrest asked her what she could tell us about her performance to come.

She said something about getting wet. I hardly paid attention when she said this. She looked like a girl arriving for a swim meet. Casual.

WOW!!! :shock:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 am

Paddy the song, it is all about the song, did you listen to the lyrics!!?? :shock:

(Besides that is a nude color body suit worn by dancers) 8)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am

It's almost always about the song for me. But I can tell you that I don't have lyric one in the song Pink sang. It's not so much that she looked so good. I was simply amazed by the visual. I also think my ears automatically tune out lyrics from certain artists. Pink is one of them. I will eventually take the time needed and dive in.... :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 am

Definitely LISTEN to the song, Paddy. I'm addicted.

Just had my husband watch the video and after a few minutes, he said "is something good going to happen?" Told him I thought he'd like it eventually. He did and I'm not talking about the song. HA!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:26 am

I'm on the diving platform gathering nerve....I don't wanna jump

I don't wanna not jump

Here goes......
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am

Keep your eyes closed! :lol:

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 am

I'm laughing here. Patti and I notice the song. Paddy and my husband notice the singer.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 pm

i did not watch the grammys, but i have seen pink live. it was before she started playing arenas. she puts on a great show and she is all about the girl power. her lyrics are strong, angry and painful. she is the anti-ga ga. :-)

on a side note, an old co-worker of mine was nominated for best historical album ~ my dusty road: woody guthrie :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 am

I jumped..dived, downloaded!! Bought Pink's latest CD Funhouse on Itunes last night (complete with digital booklet.. I like that option.)

The song she sang at the Grammy's (Glitter in the Air) has been stuck in my head for 3 days now..enough to make want to put it in on my IPOD..

Since my girls will listen to it too I opted for the entire CD (I bought the clean version) :lol:

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 am

Pink is going to be on Oprah today... I'll be curious to hear what she says..

http://www.vevo.com/watch/pnk/glitter-i ... LV41000001

This is a link from Pink's site for the grammy performance.. most of the others on youtube have been removed.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Music has changed so much over the last few years in terms of what is mainstream and popular and the grammys have become something of a not so shining example of this for the most part. I miss the old days. I half watched the other night while I was online and very little caught my eye as far as something I wanted to stop and watch start to finish. When I saw Pink hit the red carpet I thought so what and when she alluded to her pending performance talking to Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet show saying all she could tell him was that she was going to get wet again I said so what. When she performed that song I stopped what i was doing and watched in complete awe of the feat singing that song suspended in air often upside down often sprayed by water.

WOW came out of my mouth several times..... :shock:
For my money Pink saved the 2010 Grammys show.... 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 pm

I enjoyed Pink's interview/performance on Oprah.

Paddy, did you know Pink grew up in your backyard?

Pink (Wikipedia)

KarenZ
Patti wrote:Pink is going to be on Oprah today... I'll be curious to hear what she says..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Karen, I would be lyin if I said I didn't know Pink grew up in my backyard but only because I got an email from Patti earlier today that alluded to her having grown up in Doylestown. Before that though, I did not know that. Hits me about the same way learning that Christine Aguilara is from your backyard. Kind of cool, really. Thx for pinkapedia!
paddy

Return to “Say Something”