Ellis Paul-inspired wedding ideas

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Jalapenos

Ellis Paul-inspired wedding ideas

Postby Jalapenos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:16 pm

This is totally random, but I feel like sharing. Mike and I are getting married in June (woot!) and we're trying to think of names for signature cocktails to serve at the reception. The first one will be a sweeter version of the Tom Collins, and we're calling it the Collivan (our last names are Collins and Sullivan and our friends sometimes refer to us as Collivan). The second signature cocktail occured to me in the middle of the 12/30 show at Passim. It will be a champagne cocktail and it will be called Alice's Champagne Palace.

I knew if I just waited, the inspiration for meaningful drink names would come to me in the least likely of places. :lol:
-Katie

Patti

Re: Hi, I'm off-topic.

Postby Patti » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:06 pm

First of all congratulations to you both!! Second, I had no idea naming cocktails was part of the wedding rituals these days... but that is cute.. can't really imagine what I would have come up with for that.. but alls I can say is lucky you were at the 12/30 show and not 12/31 or you may have been inspired by the Silly String!!

All the best...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:59 am

katie, are you choosing the name and then the cocktail, or the other way around? are you going by a color theme?

might i suggest a signature non-alcoholic beverage? fun for the adults who don't indulge? maybe something with "unplugged" or "acoustic" in the name?

patti,

clearly you are not obsessed with WE, the wedding channel as i am. i don't understand why. my wedding sensibilities run towards the justice of the peace on a weekday or an elopement kind of a shin-dig. yet i am fascinated by all those shows. 15,000 on a wedding dress? as the kids say WTF?!?!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:29 am

Congratulations Jalapenos!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:16 am

First - congratulations to Mike and best wishes to Jalapenos ! Good for you both ! !

Second - I love Bonnie's idea, and heartily endorse having a drink named "unplugged" as a non-alcoholic for anyone young or old who wants to go low octane....

Third - Maggie and I were married down in on the Cape, a town over from our favorite ice cream place in the world. Our table names were very carefully selected Four Seas Ice Cream flavors. (And yes, that was added to the cake for dessert).
Jeff

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:34 am

didn't even know there was a wedding channel!! How about a college application and financial aid channel... I can only handle one expensive adventure at a time..

but the wedding channel.. I wonder if Ellis knows about that.. remember he said he was going to write a trio of songs inspired by the "dating" channel I think.. the first song is When We Begin... he said there would be a wedding song, and a baby song (after the baby channel)

of course WAY back he used to sing his Black Shiny Shoes song which was about weddings!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:24 am

Katie - congratulations to you both!

For a non-alcoholic cocktail I was given a great recipe by a caterer for a big-oh birthday; it is one part ginger beer, one part lemonade and one part cranberry juice. I then added a fresh raspberry and a few blueberries to each glass too. Delish!

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:15 am

Congrats to you both and what a cool idea about naming drinks!

Patti, I laughed out loud with a college app/financial aid channel! You could be on to something!!!!

Bonnie, I'm with you on the WTF with wedding dresses.

My husband and I did things a little backwards. We lived together for 7 years, I got pregnant, we got married in 3 months from finding out I was pregnant. We both thought about going to Vegas but my aunt would not hear of that, so we had this quaint little wedding in Marshfield at the original Fairview restaurant (before it burned down) with a JP out on the deck, Memorial Day weekend with just family and a few close friends.

It was perfect.

Although a short while after the Fairview burned down, I came home to find our Precious Moments Bride/Groom that we had on top of our cake, smashed on the kitchen floor. Owned no pets at the time, so we were clueless how it fell and smashed. We both wondered if someone was trying to tell us something. HA! Still going strong MANY years later.

Sorry, Jalepenos, I got way off your topic, didn't I?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Ellis Paul-inspired wedding ideas

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:32 am

Katie, congratulations!

How 'bout "Pop the cork" as a wedding cocktail? And don't forget to consider at least one dance to Ellis" "When we begin"! :)

I'm gonna edit your original subject line to better reflect all these terrific Ellis Paul-inspired wedding ideas. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for the sentiments and the ideas :) :) I like Pop the Cork for a cocktail name! And it's so fun to hear other people's wedding stories, so share away!
I scanned my music collection at least twice to try to pick an Ellis song that would be appropriate for our first dance, but nothing seems quite right. I love Words, but Mike isn't familiar with it, and we want a song that both of us can relate to. Maybe I'll start playing it on repeat when Mike is in my car, and he'll think it was his idea to use it? Haha. Our back-up options are Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan and Open Arms by Journey, but I'm hoping something else will present itself to us when we least expect it!
-Katie

mm

Postby mm » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Congrats, Katie....it's a very special time in your lives.

Joan Osborne does an amazing and gorgeous cover of the Dylan Make You Feel My Love....might be worth at least listening to. It's on the covers CD she put together called Righteous Love. (Joan is an all time fave artist of mine!!)

Good luck!!

mm

Postby mm » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Also, I once heard an interview with Joan Osborne where she said when she was driving once and first heard that Dylan song, she was so moved by it, she had to pull over to the side of the road and sat there crying in her car.
I've had artists move me the same way once in a great while (Merrie Amsterburg did that to me in a mall parking lot once when I heard a certain song of hers over the radio!).

Return to “Say Something”