Ellis as an English learning tool

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

thebov

Ellis as an English learning tool

Postby thebov » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:57 am

Hi,

My name is Chris, and I got to know Ellis through working the sound board while he performed at Hamilton College. I was there for four years, he performed four times, and I ran the board each time. I even got him to give me a few tips on open-string tuning after I learned "Maria's Beautiful Mess" off of a free guitar tab someone had put on the internet. I graduated in 2008, and proceeded to come to Indonesia, where I have been teaching English to high school students.

I thought I'd take a moment and share a story about my classroom experience in Indonesia, and specifically, how Ellis helped me teach a bunch of kids something important.

These students, though they're supposed to know English quite well, are often not very advanced at all - their reaction upon seeing a white person come to the classroom is generally to yell, "Hello, Mister!" I'm told this wasn't pleasant for the female teacher at my school last year.

In any event. Because Indonesian students are often taught in a fashion that makes them frighteningly boring, I make a point to liven up my classroom through games, group activities, and songs. My first choice there was the Barenaked Ladies classic "If I Had A Million Dollars," in an attempt to teach them about if/then statements. It gets pretty entertaining.

However, Ellis' song "Home" is uniquely suited to teach a tricky distinction that Indonesians often fail to make. The word 'house' and 'home' are translated in Indonesian as the same word, 'rumah.' Within five minutes of talking to my fellow English teachers, I'd been asked to explain the distinction, and fell back on the chorus to explain the differentiation - "This house is just an address, you're my home." It worked surprisingly well, and gave me a bit of an idea.

Sitting at home with a guitar, I taught myself the chord progression of the song. There aren't electrical outlets in most of my classrooms, so I either have to run an extension chord from the main office (probably 50-75 meters away from most of my classes) or bring in a guitar, and just sing loudly. I sang it for the students, several times, asking them to write down words I'd removed in the song. After we'd gone over the song, reviewing some nice new vocabulary words (creaking, secret, smoke, stairwell, etc.), I asked if they wanted to sing it one more time together. The answer was invariably yes.

The sound of 40 Indonesian children, who can't pronounce every word correctly, but have finally gotten to understand the song, is magical. I got chills every time a new class sang. It's also gratifying to hear students sing snippets from the song as I walk around the school. Definitely better to learn English from than some of the other stuff they listen to.

Anyway. This is long and rather rambling, but I thought some folks might appreciate the story. I certainly do.

-Chris
Fulbright ETA, Makassar, Indonesia
http://bovindonesia.wordpress.com

Patti

Re: Ellis as an English learning tool

Postby Patti » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:31 am

Great story, thanks for sharing...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Chris - what a great story and what a wonderful way to use Ellis' work to teach English. It sounds as if your students really get so much from your creative approach and long may you continue to inspire them in this way.

Welcome to the board and hope that you will contribute again.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Chris

I would like to echo Jela's sentiments about the way in which you enrich the lives of your students.

I once dated a woman from Mexico City who learned to speak English by watching soap operas on television. By the time we met years later her English was near perfect. Glory be there's some redeeming value for some in American television. I like your approach with Ellis' music, too.

Thinking your students would get a kick -- and further appreciation -- with The Dragonfly Races. :)

Greetings from Phildelphia, Pa. USA and of course,

Welcome aboard! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”