Concerts of a Lifetime

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Concerts of a Lifetime

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 am

Do we dare try to list all the concerts we've attended in our lifetime? :shock:

Might be fun! :D
Could get ugly! :P

Who's first?
Who's Next?

Okay, there's one. I Saw The Who in concert in 1975. Those were the days..... more like the daze. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Concerts of a Lifetime

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:23 am

All the ones I've attended since 1995 are written down with dates, venue and who was with me. IllinoisBill (my hero!) used to have alll of his in a spreadsheet, but I think he finally gave up on it. Someday - when I retire - mine will all be in a searchable Access database. ;-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:54 am

I don't keep any sort of record - my first live concert was at the age of 13 years - you had to be 16 years old so I lied about my age on the application! I still have the club memebership card though and have been going to concerts ever since......as you know.

As far as I can recall the first one was a band called Stray - heavy rockers - my tastes have developed somewhat from my 13 year old self!

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 am

I have saved every single ticket stub from every single concert I've ever attended. Some day I will make a collage with them! For now, they sit in a large plastic bag!

My very first concert was Styx when I was 12 or 13. Had to BEG my parents to go. Now that I have a 13-year-old daughter, I know why I had to beg. There is no way in hell I would let my daughter go to a concert with a bunch of her friends without an adult.

Something tells me my parents were under the assumption we were accompanied by an adult .... :lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 am

1977 Eagles Hotel California Tour outdoor stadium show -- went with friends who had tickets hoping to score one there. Trouble was I had no funds on hand and they were tapped too. Painful hearing the opening chords of the set opener and the crowd going wild as the Eagles played the title track to the album first. And chubby me not able to squeeze under the fence..... :shock: This would be the one that got away! There they were singing Welcome to the Hotel California and for me no room at the inn... :cry:

I did see the Eagles in concert a few years earlier (1975) at The Cotton Bowl in Dallas Texas. An all day affair in the hot Texas sun. So hot in fact, they used fire hoses to douse the crowd to keep them cool. Imagine it. That day the Eagles were not the headliners.....it was The Rolling Stones everyone really wanted to see. The Eagles were a name I barely recognized. But there they were up there playing hit after hit. Couldn't really see them from the way way back. The Rolling Stones lived up to the hype, and Mick Jagger at one point even grabbed a fire hose and pointed it in the direction of the still overheated crowd. Perhaps my earliest memory of dripping cool......thank you, I'm here all week! :lol:

Just found a website that shows what the Rolling Stones were up to that particular week........

July 4, 1975: The Rolling Stones perform in Memphis, Tennessee on Independence Day, with the
penis balloon inflated against police wishes.

July 5, 1975: On a drive down to Dallas, Keith Richards and Ron Wood are arrested for possession of an illegally
concealed dagger in Fordyce, Arkansas, then released on bail. Cocaine is also found in the trunk of the car but
Keith & Ron manage to escape charges. The weapon charge is later dropped.

July 6, 1975: The Rolling Stones perform at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas.

July 7, 1975: Now in Los Angeles, the Rolling Stones attend a surprise birthday party for Ringo Starr at the Beverly
Wiltshire Hotel, which Keith Moon also attends.

July 9-13, 1975: The Rolling Stones perform five concerts at the Forum in Los Angeles, California. George
Harrison and Ringo Starr are among the celebrities attending some of the concerts.

July 15-20, 1975: The Rolling Stones continue their western swing with concerts in San Francisco,
Seattle, and Fort Collins, Colorado where Elton John guest stars for the entire concert.

And I thought I was cool hitting the road for music. In hindsight I guess it was......and my very first roadtrip for music. 8)

The Rolling Stones 1975 Chronicles
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:04 am

Paddy I accept your challenge. At home I have a spreadsheet. It is fairly accurate. There are one or two shows that I have the date, but not the year or the venue only, but for the most part it is reliable.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:44 am

Not sure when I outgrew keepin ticket stubs (maybe mid 20's) and I wish I had them ALL today....a few remain tucked away somewhere but nowhere near the sum total of shows I've seen in my lifetime.

Bonnie...rock and roll!!!

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am

Melissa Etheridge outdoors at Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavillion!

October 1994 ~ 4 days after I met the woman who would become the love of my life. We met purely by chance at a restaurant in Houston called, coincidentally enough, Rock Bottom. I seemed to have the only table in the bar with two open chairs. She was new in town and I'd lived there all my life.

Spent a few hours there in the bar talking....without sparks. Later as we were leaving her friend suggests I call her since she is so new to town. She knows hardly anyone in Houston outside of work and how I could show her around town.

Melissa Etheridge concert was coming up and I'd become a HUGE FAN of her that year and jumped on tickets the day they went on sale. Scored a pair 4th Row Center and for weeks wondered who would want to go. I asked friends but not a fan among them and soon realized I had no takers.

Fine by me, as long I was there with Melissa I'd be fine. Her music hit me like a southbound train....if you know what I mean! :wink: So it mattered little who joined me that night. Or so I thought......

I called her a few days later with an invite to the concert and she absolutely wanted to go. She liked Melissa's music, too! First stop was out for dinner at my favorite Chinese and then the hour drive up to the venue north of Houston. We arrived too late to catch the opener's full set; in fact we could only barely make out the sound as we approached the ticket takers.

Once inside and making our way to the reserved section of seats we looked stageward to see the last minute of the last song by the opener for the evening. It was some band called Billy Pilgrim that I knew next to nothing about. They sounded great as they wound down and said good night!

Little did I know then what lay in store for us down the road as she would discover Ellis Paul and I would say Yes, to Ellis, and to love. It all truly began when Melissa and the band hit the stage where she had the crowd from the first note...

"Once inside it's a carnival ride" Ellis Paul would later write and sing in one of my then favorite of his songs.....Midnight Strikes Too Soon. And so fitting too, since we left the concert and made the mad dash back to Houston so I could get into work on time as my shift began each night coincidentally enough at the stroke of midnight. I was a little late punching the clock that night and walked into a lifetime of musical and marital bliss. Am I one of the luckiest people I know? Yes I Am

Concert of a Lifetime....

You bet! :wink:
paddy

Return to “Say Something”