15 Random facts

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

15 Random facts

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:37 am

I came across this idea in another forum and thought that it was a fun way of getting to know something about each other, that we may not know. The idea is that you post 15 random facts about yourself so I'll start with mine:

1. I was named after my maternal grandmother (Jela is pronounced Yeela)

2. I have one older sister and five younger brothers

3. Richard and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary last September

4. I worked in banking for 20+ years then set up my own consultancy and now consult, write and lecture at University in Brighton and London

5. My first book was published last summer

6. I ‘moonlight’ and write music reviews for Maverick magazine

7. Most of my holidays are spent in the US at music festivals (but you knew that!)

8. My youngest brother emigrated to Australia two years ago – I hope to visit him one of these days

9. I love cooking and make desserts for friends who host House Concerts and feed about 30 odd people at a time

10. I am a tennis nut – watching not playing – and have only missed one Wimbledon since 1981

11. My ambition is to attend all the tennis Grand Slams – so Wimbledon and the French have been done, the US and Oz await!

12. Last July I did a 10km (6.2miles) sponsored midnight sleep walk for charity and raised £500 for a local Hospice

13. I don’t drink coffee

14. Favourite comfort food – bangers and mash that’s sausages and mash!

15. In an effort to try and keep fit I started going to Boot Camp last summer and am still going – three times a week!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Re: 15 Random facts

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:53 am

Jela, what a great way to get to know more about the good folks here on the board. I showed my wife the thread as she is home from work under the weather and then asked her if 15 random facts about myself would even scratch the surface. Would 15 facts about myself even be the tip of the iceburg? Then I worried out loud to her and asked If I'm one of those people who only have about 5 maximum..... :shock: :oops: :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:16 am

Jela,

Thanks for a fun thread! :) Here's my 15 random facts:

1. I’m the “baby” of the family, having two older brothers.

2. I was 43 the first time I ever flew on an airplane :!:

3. I’ve lived my entire life within a 10-mile radius in southwestern Pennsylvania.

4. I’ve worked as a gay ally for 15 years. In 1994 I was a founding member of the Medical Library Association’s Lesbian, Gay, & Bisexual Special Interest Group.

5. While a student at the University of Pittsburgh I did an internship at the Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force – developing their first website.

6. From 4th grade through high school I sang in the chorus; our high school chorus won several awards and cut a record – two actually: Vivaldi’s Gloria and Bach’s Christ lag in Todesbanden.

7. I’ve worked as a mail carrier, short-order cook, department store cashier, waitress, bakery clerk and substitute teacher. I’ve worked as medical librarian in a community hospital for the last 25 years.

8. I’m going to be a grandma for the first time this August :!:

9. My first (and only!) trip to Europe was in May 2006.

10. I’m the Media Chair for the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival.

11. My 2000 Dodge Intrepid has 137,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ :!:

12. I generally walk outside 2 miles every day, weather permitting.

13. I’ve never been to California and I’ve only ever been to New York City once. :(

14. I’m a Wikipedia addict – editing pages and making general enhancements – especially when it helps spread the word about Mr. Paul. One of the steepest learning curves and moments of greatest satisfaction EVER was getting the sound sample boxes into EP’s Wikipedia article. :shock:

15. I’m crazy about “Gunsmoke” and could watch re-runs 24/7. :)

And now you know the rest of the story..... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:41 pm

wow fun to read... I won't have time to post for awhile but it got me thinking!

Karen you certainly made up for lost time with flying...how many times do you think you have flown know???
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:24 am

Let's see what I can come up with...

1. Shortly before I was born, my Dad went to the track. Wee Bonnie Lee was a winner. Bonnie comes from two great grandmothers, but my middle name comes from that damn horse.

2. I spent my senior year in high school as an exchange student in Chile.

3. We got a puppy when I was 6, but I was so scared of dogs we had to giver her to another family.

4. I am allergic to Squeeze Parkay margerine, but no other butter/margerine products.

5. I can swear in Danish.

6. Joe vs the Volcano is one of my favorite movies.

7. Journey was my first musical obsession.

8. I had my tonsils out when I was 3 and my aunt was my nurse.

9. I have all of my wisdom teeth.

10. Christopher Walken frightens me.

11. I have never seen the movie E.T.

12. I have never had a roommate.

13. I went to go backpacking in Europe during college, but ended up staying in the same rooming house the whole trip.

14. I once signed myself out of a Mexican hospital AMA (against medical advice) and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

15. I can not play a musical instrument. I can't even clap and sing along at the same time.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for you answers, some really surprise me :wink: I am still trying to think of 15 things.. # 1 might be I "think" I have ADD.. (never confirmed by a doctor) so by the time I get to # 6 or 7 I forgot the first few I was thinking of :lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Not sure these threads are meant to bring on fits of laughter but reading the last two posts here I have LMAO in the best way more than once. Thanks for that Bonnie Lee and Patti. I read a few aloud to my wife as soon as I had read them to myself and had to explain immediately why I was laughing so hard.

Believe me when I say we are laughing with and not at....

My wife says Christopher Walken frightens her too.... :lol:

Patti, I will thank you again next week for your wonderful post. :P
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:40 pm

I have only had 3 addresses all my life.

I have seven siblings, we all played a musical instrument at some time, some still do.

My three best friends come from families with more siblings ( 8,9, 10) than me.

I have been a stem cell donor for 2 different people. I now volunteer for the National Marrow Donor Program. (It is very simple to get on the list.. Ask me how!!)

I wanted to be an Indian so bad growing up. Just to get me to stop bugging my family about it my Mom (and older siblings) used to tell me Sitting Bull was my great great great great grandfather, by marriage . I believed them.

3 of my favorite shows growing up were Daniel Boone and Alias Smith & Jones, and FURY.

HGTV and Red Sox baseball are about the only things I watch on TV now. Opening day is about a month away!!

I am the secretary for Stone Soup Coffee House.

I once saw a jewelry store being robbed and followed the get away car. The police had me get hypnotized so I could remember the make, model and license plate of the car. That worked fine but turned out the car was stolen so the crook was never caught!!

I delivered the Boston Globe and Herald ( Record American then) papers 6 mornings a week for almost 10 years. I still remember all my customers and what paper they got.

I wish I could speak Spanish instead of Pig Latin and Ubee-Dubee (from ZOOM)

I love playing board games… Rummikub, Scrabble, etc.. and doing jigsaw puzzles.

I took wood and metal in school instead of food and clothing. I can’t use a sewing machine but you should see the nice wooden magazine rack I still have from high school.

Growing up my father named all our pets after opera characters. It is not cool having a dog Mia Gilda.

We recently added a gerbil to our family, Lindsay named him Ringo Starr. (much cooler!)

Good night..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 am

1. Growing up I found it unfair my siblings got to go to Disneyland and I didn't. Turns out I was there but slept the entire time.

2. During the run of the popular tv series "The Partridge Family" I could have passed for Danny Bonaduce. Luckily we both outgrew it.

3. I lived and worked in mainland China back in the 80's.

4. I had a sleep study done once and couldn't sleep much.

5. My father quit a job after a boss refused to give him time off to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade. It was his god given right he always said.

6. My first car, a blue 1964 VW Bug convertible, was gifted to me by family friends whose hippie of a son had long since given up on it. My dad got it running and it was just the coolest car ever. While it lasted.

7. Same car broke down one hot summer day. My wife and sister aboard wrote a song they called The Breakdown Blues. I think they predated the Indigo Girls truth be told. Here's the first verse and bear in mind 1977 and snowboarding is yet to be invented.

I lost my surfboard
in the snow
I aint got no place to go
Darn car's done busted in two
all I want to do
is get back to you

I kid you not interweaving acoustic guitars and intricate harmonies...they were pretty good.

8. We eloped to Mexico at age 18 but retreated and married stateside. While there bought her a $10 guitar I Pete Townsend' ed one day years later when the honeymoon was truly over.

9. When I first heard Eric Taylor sing "I got a Ford that won't stop running, I got a daddy but he's dead" I couldn't help but relate.

10. As a preteen a group of childhood friends i was a part of saw the first Roger Moore 007 flick 17 times on the big screen. Mostly to escape the oppressive heat on a boring summer day. Jane Seymour had alot to do with it, too. We could almost recite the movie ver batum and often did.

11. In high school I was suspended for 3 days for smoking on campus and somehow knew my parents couldn't really throw stones. I was right.

12. Our whole family attended and viewed the motorcade in downtown Houston on the day before JFK went to Dallas. I recall the shock to the sense of normalcy when the news broke.

13. My dad used to bear an uncanny resemblance to JFK.

14. I used to think Robert Earl Keen and I looked an awful lot alike....back when he was good looking, of course.

15. I'm a people person and have my dad to thank for that.
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:08 am

These are fun!

1. I am the youngest of 5 children, have 4 older brothers, with 7 years difference between me and the youngest boy. I think I might have been an oops! And, no I wasn't spoiled, as most people think ...... tortured was more like it!

2. I met my husband when I was 18 and we will be together for 25 years this July.

3. I have spent every summer since my birth by the ocean and can't swim for the life of me!

4. I didn't get my license until just before my 21st birthday and hated driving for years, but now love "Road Trips!"

5. I am blessed to have a handful of friends from 1st grade still in my life today.

6. I played the cornet in 5th grade and marched in the Memorial Day Parade in 95 degree heat and that was the end of my cornet career.

7. I wanted to go to Tractor Trailer Driving School when I graduated from high school, but my mother would not hear it! Probably would've gotten my license a little earlier had she agreed! :lol:

8. I had an emergency C-section with my first pregnancy and it was the scariest day of my life!

9. My first concert was Styxx in 7th grade!

10. I took care of various little kids for about 6 years and miss it terribly. The last little guy I took care of is turning 10 next week. OUCHHH!

11. I grew up at 247 Grove Street in one town and currently live at 427 Grove Street in another town.

12. The beach/ocean, in my opinion, is the best therapist in the world!

13. I live for summer and spending day after day at the beach.

14. I have a 16-year-old, married woman kinda crush on Jimmy LaFave (I know ... you are all so surprised by that)!

15. I was at Boston College the same time Ellis was!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:52 pm

These are such a joy to read - thanks everyone so far for participating.

'Married woman's crush' - Monica don't I just know what you mean? :oops:

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I don't get that either. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:'Married woman's crush' - Monica don't I just know what you mean? :oops: Jela
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 pm

Back of the line ladies! Just kidding! I knew you both would enjoy that number!!! :lol:

Return to “Say Something”