Music Press and CD Reviews

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Music Press and CD Reviews

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 am

What music press do you read on a regular basis?

Whose recommendations/reviews of new CDs do you consider reflect your tastes and if s/he gives a good review you know that you will like the particular CD??

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:01 am

Performing Songwriter....it's my 'bible!

I also read Paste because it's local, and I like to support local.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 am

Jela...great topic.

Sadly, honestly, none.

Not like I used to, anyway. :?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 am

Jela,

Interesting question! I used to subscribe to 4 music magazines. Two or three years ago I dropped Dirty Linen since it started leaning more towards world music and I was reading less and less. More recently I dropped my subscription to Paste...because it was leaning too much on the pop/alternative side. (I have NO idea how to define/describe these various genres - I just know what I like and don't like.) That left me with two: No Depression, which was my favorite - what I would call Americana - and Performing Songwriter, which is just "okay". Then, a couple months ago No Depression announced they were ceasing publication with the next (May-June) issue....and they did.....so I'm down to one. :( (The No Depression website still has news, reviews, etc. Hopefully they will be expanding the site.)

As far as reviews of CDs, the ones in print appear so long after release, that they aren't usually helpful as far as prompting me to buy a CD. I think mostly I go by word-of-mouth comments/suggestions from friends. The one exception would be FolkWax reviews - especially those written by Arthur Wood, which are incredibly timely. For example, Arthur's review of Carrie Newcomer's CD earlier this year made me run right out and buy it....but then again I like Carrie....so that made it easier. I would probably only buy something from a new (not in my collection) artist, if someone blew me away at a live show. Not sure a print review would do it.

Discretionary $$ are getting less and less....and I do find myself buying fewer CDs. I do NOT download or own an iPod or an mp3 player and can't imagine that I ever will....simply because I don't need one.

So....why do you ask? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:12 am

I ask purely out of interest - would like to know what you all read and how much, if any, sway, a particular publication has.

Also it'll help me find out about publications that I'm not aware of that I should explore.

I think all of us who read 'No Depression' were really sorry to see the demise of the print version.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 am

I wish there existed an "acoustic songwriter" magazine...or something along those lines...that focused on the music of those musicians we talk about in the Looking for My Friends forum! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 pm

I think you answered your own question. :P
KarenZ wrote:I wish there existed an "acoustic songwriter" magazine...or something along those lines...that focused on the music of those musicians we talk about in the Looking for My Friends forum! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ wrote:Hey all, (and Bonnie!) :)

The current (June) issue of Performing Songwriter (with Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova on the cover!) also lists Flynn's The Answer's Not Enough as one of it's DIY Picks! I like some of the adjectives used in the review: romantic and sumptuous especially. ;)

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pag ... /index.cfm

Flynn
The Answer's Not Enough
Featured Download: "The Answer's Not Enough" MP3

Hailing from Boston carries a certain amount of cachet, given Beantown’s reputation as a repository of musical talent. Flynn, formerly of the band Cliffs of Dooneen, has cut through the competition—his first album was accorded a Boston Music Award for outstanding debut—but it’s his personal triumphs that merit distinction. Paralyzed from a fall, he successfully regained movement in his arms and legs, and subsequently carved an enviable career as a performer, producer and composer.

Flynn’s fourth album reflects an unbridled tenacity. From the ominous title track and cool croon of “Emerald Dream,” to the romantic yearning of “If She’s the One” and its ambling ode to affirmation “All That I Am,” the rich weave of emotions mingles freely with sumptuous tones and textures.

flynnmusic.com

Sadly, I do not read any music publications. :( I miss the days of reading a review of an unknown artist and running to my local Good Vibrations store to by the cassette.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:17 pm

But Performing Songwriter has all that technical stuff that I could do without. More Flynn & Ellis, less amplifiers. :)

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:I think you answered your own question. :P

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:00 pm

KarenZ wrote:But Performing Songwriter has all that technical stuff that I could do without. More Flynn & Ellis, less amplifiers. :)

I definitely agree Karen! It's not perfect but, IMO it's the best we've got.

As far as tech stuff goes, I do enjoy 'The Producers Corner'....I've always wanted to do studio work.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:23 pm

we get People magazine each week (the wife) and once in a blue moon I care about the music they are covering. They only comment on big labels.

:roll:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Jela,

I've been thinking about subscribing to Texas Music. I have a feeling you probably already do. ;)

http://www.txmusic.com

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:09 am

No Karen that's not a title that I know - well worth investigating further. Thanks.

The Texas publication that is a regular for us is 'Third Coast Music' written by John Conquest
3rd Coast Music

John expresses some very forthright views and doesn't pander to anyone, don't always agree with him but he has been responsible for introducing us to many musicians over the years and regularly hosts full day shows at NotSXSW.

This month's issue features John Inmon on the cover - need I say more????

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:09 am

Jela,

Wow....I hadn't heard of Third Coast Music before. Thanks for the tip! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:50 am

Sounds to me like we should start an acoustic music mag. I'll be the typesetter!!!!

I read absolutely nothing musical and definitely go on recommendations (a bunch of which have come from this board) and I've discovered that I'm a "visual" person too. I may have heard someone on the radio that I liked, but seeing that person, especially when the pour their heart and soul into what they're doing, is the icing on the cake for me.

Ruthie Foster comes to mind in this regard. Really liked hearing her stuff on WUMB and there was no doubt the woman could SING, but seeing her perform at the Boston Folk Festival a few years ago .... man, she blew me away and I RAN to the CD tent to buy some of her stuff. And, actually, I had the same thing happen with Ellis way back when. I owned one of his CD's, but when I saw him perform with the Woody Tribute .... Minor Key ...... that was it for me and the journey began!

:D Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:19 am

Folks,

It'd be nice to have Fast Folk again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Folk#Archives

If you browse around some of the external links on the Wikipedia article, it's amazing what you will find...

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Re: Music Press and CD Reviews

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Just thought that it might be of interest to some of you that Maverick magazine is going digital wef Feb 2009 issue (primarily to attract more overseas subscribers) but you can get a free trial issue of the January 2009 edition which features an interview spread over two pages with Mark Erelli.

Click on this link for access

http://www.exacteditions.com/exact/browse/533/716

I have to declare an interest - I write the occasional article/review for them and they publish Richard's photographs too. They will be continuing to publish the hard copy as well each month but the digital will be cheaper to subscribe to.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 pm

thanks for the link Jela... great article about Mark.

It doesn't really seem to be a "country musician" magazine but maybe the UK vision of country is not the same as the (mostly) sappy country music as the US??!! Next month's cover is Mary Gauthier, is she a considered a country star here??

What pictures of Richard's have they used??
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Patti - the magazine's focus isn't just 'country' any more and only last month they changed their title heading to include folk, roots, bluegrass etc recognising that they appeal to a wide audience and that in fact they were regularly covering these other genres as well.

They have used various photos of Richard's which have accompanied my articles and they have used some of his Sam Baker pics over again to illustrate other linked features/contents.

Watch this space for something in the March 2009 issue that I think will bring a smile to your face!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Jela,

Thanks for the Maverick Magazine update! I keep forgetting that I want to subscribe to the print edition. :)

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”