2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Folks,

In case you hadn't heard....the Pittsburgh Penguins made it to the Final Round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. First game this Saturday.

Everything you'd ever want to know about the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs

(We might not have a baseball team, but we do have a hockey team.) :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 am

GO PENS!!!

Must say that having lived in Pittsburgh for 2 plus years that I still enjoy watching their sports teams do well. Our son was born there and I'm sure that contributes to that feeling although I have to say he hardly remembers any of our time there and doesn't share my enthusiasm for Pittsburgh sports teams. I'll add that it's uniquely strange to have grown up a Houston Oilers fan and root for any Pittsburgh sports team.....but here I am today saying I love it when they make the playoffs and enjoy seeing their teams win it all!!!

Growing up in Houston following the Astros baseball teams and the Oilers football teams I hardly got into hockey. Houston had a team, a pretty successful one in the Houston Aeros with Gordon (Gordie) Howe and his sons but still I never got into it. Just wasn't a mainstream sport in our town or household. No youth hockey leagues or real passion for the sport. I tried to ice skate once.....failed miserably. Then I saw blood on the ice. I was done!!! :lol:

"Went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" is one of my favorite lines about the sport. Still amazes me how the refs allow the fights to play themselves out before stepping in and separating the players. No players are penalized for participating in fights. Noone gets sent to the penalty box or ejected from the game. Gotta love a sport where almost anything goes........except maybe tripping. :P

I figure the refs realise they can't see everything that goes on on the ice and that if a fight breaks out it was usually provoked by some manner of dirty play that the refs missed and the players just govern the rules of fair play by taking matters into their own hands when it's called for.

I don't advocate violence in sports or anywhere else but there's something about watching two guys go at it on ice skates. Fun stuff. :wink:

I'm an extreme novice when it comes to NHL hockey so if I get any of my musings wrong know that there's a good reason why. I did watch with genuine interest as the Pens battled the Flyers last week. It was apparent early the Penguins would easily handle the Flyers and advance to the Stanley Cup Finals. Looks like they will have their hands full and a worthy opponent in the Detroit Redwings.

I'll be watching!! :

GO PENS!!!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:36 am

Whew! Still down 1 game. Game 6 back home tomorrow night. We could tie it then....

As Mark Erelli says, "Hope dies last."

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:43 am

Fell asleep at 10 min. to go in regulation. :roll: Highlights on espn this morning showed the Pens hard fought victory over the Wings in double overtime. What a game!

GO PENS!!!
paddy

pre10der

Stanley Cup

Postby pre10der » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 pm

Unlike Paddy I stayed up til the end of the 3 OT game the other night. Unlike Paddy & Karen I am a Red Wings fan. I spent the first 23 years of my life in the Detroit area. I have watched every game that the Wings have played in the Playoffs. I'll be wearing my Red Wings jersey proudly to celebrate the Wings big victory tonight!

Go Wings
2008 Stanley Cup Champions

PS - I think skating the Cup around the ice is the greatest tradition in Sports!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:24 am

Tim,

Good for you! Congrats to the Red Wings. It was a terrific series. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:46 am

Congrats to the Red Wings and all their fans. It was an exciting finals and they are clearly the best team in hockey today. Happy for you, Tim. :)
paddy

Return to “Say Something”