guilty pleasures

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

guilty pleasures

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Okay, we all have them. Going to have to give Mark Erelli credit for the reminder that folks not only have guilty pleasures, but that's it's often interesting to see just what it is that other folks can't help but want to see or hear or do.

I read an interesting report recently that touched upon habit. How some scientists believe that human behavior is such that if you do anything for 21 days in a row, it becomes a habit. Not sure that necessarily correlates to the topic at hand, but's it's definitely food for thought. :wink:

Guilty Pleasures, folks???

Let's hear 'em. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Well I have to confess to watching a 'soap' Coronation Street which is on 3 days a week (5 episodes) although I'm not as bad as I used to be insofar as that I'm not bothered if I miss any because I can always catch on with what's happening just by watching the next episode. What I've discovered recently is a messageboard for the show and that's hilarious - the public's comments are so funny. I log into that when I need a laugh.

Next confession - I have my sister-in-law to thank (?) for, is my addiction to 'Strictly Come Dancing' and watch it almost without fail when it's on (Sept - Dec) I think in the States you have a spin off 'Dancing with the Stars'

Bangers, Mash and onion gravy.

When I'm working from home I do all the checking of emails and 'quicky' jobs, logging in to my 3 fave discussion boards, in my nightwear and then I get dressed

I'm giving too much away here........what are yours???

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Jela...somehow I knew I wouldn't get off that easy!!! :wink:

Coffee.....morning/noon/night. I suppose I have my parents to thank. There was a saying around our house, "Come on by, the coffee's always on."

It started there with the mountain grown goodness of Folgers in the red can, the 5 pound variety. After striking out on my own it would be the constant link to home. I worked the night shift a dozen years and the coffee saved me on nights when quality sleep had eluded me.

There habit had become my own. The problem with "the coffee's always on" is that it continues to cook on the burner. "Want some coffee?" my mom would ask. "Depends, is it fresh?" It never failed to cause her to stop what she was doing and hop up and say, "I'll make fresh." :D

I used to drink all manner of coffee and it hardly mattered. McDonald's drive - thru coffee once reigned supreme. Stop and Go's and 7-elevens, it was all good. Then Starbucks came along. :D Suddenly everything else paled by comparison. Those scientists had it right...21 days = habit.

Suddenly, it had to be Starbucks. I'd work all night and before going home stop by Starbucks. Kind of strange to stand in line with folks just starting their day in need of a morning fix knowing I was in there for a nightcap. :D

The proof that Starbucks was aiming for World Domination hit me while still living in Houston. They started to pop up on opposing street corners. One had a drive-thru in case you were REALLY on the go. The only thing better than drinking the stuff was having the time to hang out in one of the stores watching fellow addicts lining up for a taste. 8)

My then girlfriend (now wife) and I were, due to work schedules, passing ships. It became a place to meet every morning. I was winding down my workday and she was just starting hers. Now, you might think she was a coffee drinker, too. Actually, no. She likes the Black Iced tea, fine. It's true what they say, opposites attract!!! :wink:

Moved to Pittsburgh late 90's and Starbucks was at the foot of her office complex. Stars aligned there. We'd often meet for lunch and I'd always stop there before heading home. Or, if I was set to take her to dinner after work we'd usually meet up there.

Then we moved to Seattle, home of Starbucks. There was no getting away from it. Here, there, everywhere. The competition is pretty steep with Espresso and coffee shops at every turn, but again, 21days..... :D

I learned to enjoy other brands. The independents and mom and pop stands were everywhere. Seattle's Best brand was just okay. Tully's brand coffee rocked my world, anew. Starbucks tried and failed to buy them out. Hooray for the also rans!!! :D Not sure exactly when I broke down and started grinding my own coffee beans, but wow, what a difference. :shock:

We lucked out on our move to the Philly area. You'd think maybe I'd have insisted that our new place be in striking distance of a Starbucks. Nope. The year was 2004 and surely they'd be everywhere. So happens we have one a few minutes from the house, but that's just plain coincidence. I found out how lucky I was one day after we had settled in to our new home. Out of curiosity I decide to Google Starbucks Philadelphia. Imagine my surprise to learn that in a city and region of this size...only 50 stores. :shock:

Have I had a few today?

It's a pleasure to say, guilty, as charged... :roll:

"I'll be your Juan Valdez, man, if ya need a Bewley'sDay...."

Translation: "the coffee's always on"

:wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Appears John Gorka feels the same way about coffee, at least here:

St. Caffeine

Chorus:
I've seen the light, oh the light I've seen
I've seen the light of St. Caffeine
Of other drugs I am clean
I pray to you St. Caffeine

Yes I am a legal fiend
It's my high in the mean routine
Cola nut or coffee bean

I stayed away as a teen
When hormones filled up my jeans
Ever since my sleep got lean
I took to you St. Caffeine

You help me through the morning
Help me into the afternoon
Being calm is boring
I'd be snoring without you

I wear your ring around my cup
I pour you down, I drink you up
When I'm running out of steam

:D
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:20 pm

I enjoy coffee very much, don't feel guilty drinking that. It is the diet coke that gives me guilty pleasure.

Paddy never heard John Gorka's song but Jim Infanitino has a hilarious song Stress, about the effects of to much coffee. The song is on the Boston Not Austin CD, ... Also LOVE Vance Gilbert's Good Cup of Coffee...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Patti,

Not a fan of Diet Soft Drinks here...although Fresca once in a while. My wife swears by Diet Coke....I'm not wild about the flavor.

St. Caffeine really surprised me. It was a departure from John Gorka's trademark type of song and sound. I love it like I do my coffee. The rumors that Gorka plays a mean banjo are substantiated here. It's John playing the banjo on the song on the record. There's a few notes at the end of the song borrowed from an old jingle for a popular coffee commercial. I'm drawing a blank right now.... :oops:

I must be a quart low!!! :P

Haven't heard Jim's Stress or Vance's coffee song. I once enjoyed Dylan's "One more cup of coffee before I go" 8)

Trivia time......Has Ellis ever mentioned coffee in song???
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:38 am

Trivia time......Has Ellis ever mentioned coffee in song???

Sure he has and Paddy you'd know this line.....

'The Johnsons brought us coffee for the cold'

Oh and out to lunch yesterday I had Bangers, Mash and (red wine) gravy!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:38 am

You're right Jela....I'd know that the Johnson's were one of the ones that came to the rescue on that cold night with coffee. Shame I couldn't think of that particular song's lyric yesterday when I posted the mini trivia. No, it had to be that I was running a little low on coffee myself. :cry: Actually there is another Ellis Paul song that had come to mind with coffee in the lyrics. Anyone want to guess which one I was thinking about? I think there's only one more, but it's early, and I'm definitely at least a cup low right now. :P

Before I go, praytell, what are bangers??? I've never heard of them until this thread. I'm sure it's a nickname for a commmon food item, and they go nicely alongside mashers, but i'm drawing a blank, here. :roll:

Somebody save me........... :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:06 am

Bangers = Sausages! Mash = Mashed potatoes! Great comfort food.

'You drinking you're coffee in bed' from Rollaway Bed if my memory serves me correctly is the other 'coffee' song

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:20 am

Ahhh...sausages are bangers......sounds yummy. Sausage is another guilty pleasure around here too....love it with sauerkraut and mustard.

GMA has chef Emeril LaGasse on right now and he's about to crown the winner of viewer generated recipes for macaroni and cheese. Not the kind my son existed on for years, the store bought Kraft kind from a box....Oh, no.....this stuff is something else, altogether. We discovered a local restaurant near Steel City Coffeehouse in Phoenixville, Pa with a sinfully delicious dish they call Lobster Mac and Cheese. :D

Good use of coffee in song with Rollaway Bed and another fine guess, but that's still not the one I was thinking of.....in fact I'd forgotten all about that one, too. :oops: No, the "hint of the century" was in my plea found at the end of my post above. :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:12 am

Great hint Paddy, figured it out right away, though I had to look the lyrics up. There aren't many, but if I had to say I had a least favorite song from EP, this would probably be the one!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am

Oh Patti......good for you...but I have to say the song is on my list of faves. It's a sleeper of a song....and maybe best listened to if you're a guy who has been there and done that. That's to say, that song and in fact, that whole record was written around the time of the end of Ellis' first marriage. The record contains a number of heart wrenching tunes and this one is one of my all time favorites. I don't remember if I've ever heard it played out live....but it is a beautiful song. Once again, it's all in the eye of the beholder....and maybe easier to relate to from a guy's perspective. Especially one who's seen the demise of a true love situation.

Now, having said that, here's an old song I had all wrong. Again, it was about perspective, and I can hardly believe I had it SO wrong for so long. It's an old Ellis Paul classic, too. Forever and a day, when I would listen to Ellis sing "Last Call" I just always assumed that he was singing it from his perspective. That's to say that it was "the guy" sitting at home waiting for the "the girl" to arrive home. Lately Ellis has been introducing the song by telling about staying out way too late one night with John Gorka and upon arriving home found himself in a bit of trouble for it. So, to make amends, maybe, Ellis wrote this song for her. And the song is about her waiting around all night for him to get home. I have to say that that "switcharoo" has left me wishing that I hadn't heard "the rest of the story." :?

In my mind, "she" was the one out on the town and "he" was left at home wondering just what the girl was up to, all hours of the night.

Been there, done that...... :(

Anyway...it's still up for grabs....... :P
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:21 pm

Regis and Kelly, a guilty pleasure once. I was watching this morning bcuz it follows GMA here (James Blunt) and it's been awhile. They're out in California this week and with Jimmy Kimmel on the show Regis and Kelly started "host chat" off by talking about Jimmy and his girlfriend Sarah Silverman's recent video.

Let's just say hilarity ensued when Regis intimated that he'd like to **pause** Kelly and about 14 women like her. :shock: It was a fun little chat poking fun at the video the two had made. Hope the mouse wasn't watching. :P

Musical guest Josh Kelly, he married new Hollywood mogul actress Kathryn Heigl from "Gray's Anatomy" was sitting backstage and they had a camera on him while he solved a "Rubic's Cube" toy in under 4 minutes. When Regis asked him how he got so good at solving it so fast -- Josh said he was on a Wal-Mart tour last year and he would "hide out" in the toy department and just got lots of practice. He gave a few clues as to how he goes about solving the puzzle of it all. He got it in like 3minutes :shock: He also said his parents did not buy him very many toys as a kid and he's making up for it now. I guess so. :D
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Shows on "the N" and others like them.

Degrassi? I know all the cast by name. :oops:

Hannah Montana? I know all the songs. :oops:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:32 pm

I was feeling kinda......GUILTY!........that I had no guilty pleasures to reveal! But then the latest copy of Time magazine arrived.....providing me with a most definite guilty pleasure. So much so that I'm *drooling* at my desk.... hee.....hee.....hee....

Oh my GAWD :!:

KarenZ

"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:57 pm

Gosh. Was my guilty pleasure so shocking that I've left everyone speechless or what? :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:Bangers = Sausages! Mash = Mashed potatoes! Great comfort food.

'You drinking you're coffee in bed' from Rollaway Bed if my memory serves me correctly is the other 'coffee' song

Jela

So were heading out to dinner this evening in the car and our son and his buddy are talking up a storm in the backseat. I'm half listening to their conversation when all of a sudden I hear my son say "bangers and mash." :shock:

One more coffee song...the Ellis Paul song I'm thinking of is still up for grabs.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:15 pm

KarenZ wrote:Gosh. Was my guilty pleasure so shocking that I've left everyone speechless or what? :wink:

KarenZ

George Clooney is the one that should be feeling guilty. :P How old is that young girl he's been interested in? Since when is he a cradle robber?

On another note, anyone interested in his new movie Michael Clayton?

I've been interested since the Academy Awards.
paddy

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:19 am

Paddy and all

Coming from New York, you can get a great cup o coffee..for under $1.00 Starbucks is my last resort...I am an A type personailty so I can only drink one or two in the morning,,,and my fav is "Chock Full of Nuts" great coffee. I love John Gorka and am listening to him now..dont know the coffee song though gotta catch up.

Paddy it must be an Irish thing ..there was always a pot of coffee on the stove..I cant handle too much, it gets me jittery..and I am a nervous wreck as it is..

So if you guys know the Ellis song about Coffee and the John Gorka song about coffee..I'm in..let me know..

Elle

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:20 am

By the way I love George Clooney too..but maybe he needs the botox on the forehead no??

Elle :o

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:14 am

No no no botox! He's fine in his 'au naturel' state. I was never a particular fan of GC but then saw him in 'Good Night and Good Luck' which he also produced, 'Syriana' and 'Michael Clayton' so I'm a late convert to his charms(!). All 3 were great films, each very different from the others and I think he made some really good choices with them. I haven't seen any of his Ocean's films or indeed any TV stuff. Michael Clayton is well worth seeing - some terrific performances from Tilda Swinton (totally against type) and Tom Wilkinson (nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar).

As for coffee.....'I won't cry over you' has a line in it about coffee. Is that the one you're thinking of Paddy?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:11 am

Let's give them something to talk about
A little mystery to figure out
......................Bonnie Raitt

Jela....good one, but honestly one that had slipped by me. If you've heard the news out of Cuba lately that might just get you there. :wink:

Michael Clayton....on my list to see. Something tells me George will be fine without botox or any other intervention.

Elle.....nothing worse than coffee that's been on the burner longer than it needs to be. Not sure I've ever had choc-ful-o-nuts. Gorka's song St. Caffeine pays homage to the Maxwell House Jingle from the 60's at the end of the song.

Legal Seafood out of Boston serves Pete's or Peet's coffee....delicioso.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:13 am

Okay...everyone knows who George Clooney is, right?

Last evening, with an old B movie on with Sylvester Stallone starring, my wife asked our son (age9) if he knew who that was?

"George Clooney?", he guessed out loud.

:lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:26 pm

"too much of a good thing can hurt you" ......a popular saying once.

Doctors often go back and forth on the health benefits of coffee......

This recent experience combines both..... :shock:

We had brunch Saturday at Classic Diner (Frazer, Pa.) as we often do. It's one of those places you're glad to have around, they just do it right. And, the coffee is pretty good, too. Sitting there enjoying my cup and the atmosphere. The waitress came over, and I chanced to ask her a question about recent menu changes. It had been revamped. The room we were in had undergone a makeover and we talked about that, too. What I failed to notice was that while we were chatting she had topped my cup with a little more coffee.

HOT COFFEE!!!

:shock:

In our family we call that "messing with the mix." It's done all the time, like say you get your iced tea just right with lemon and sugar, and the server comes along and tops it off when we're not looking. I took my next sip of coffee and much to my surprise, it was not the warm brew I had been slowly nursing but suddenly this burning hot liquid flowing like liquid lava across my mouth....YIKES.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:10 am

American Idol 2008...a definite guilty pleasure. :roll:

The top 12 got started last night with the songs of Lennon/McCartney. 8)

Can you say Chickeezie? :wink:

Looks promising all the way around. :D
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:34 am

Hi Paddy,

I have 2 kids, ages 12 and 16, who are both huge Idol addicts, so I get sucked in every year.

Chickeezie was something else last night for sure!

And, you're right, it does look promising all the way around. It'll be interesting to see who wins it.

Monica R.

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:06 am

But how about Brooke, doing Let It Be... not quite Ellis and Flynn, but a treat for sure.

I too have kids who like the show, so it is fun to watch together. This year they really do have some great talent.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:27 am

Patti,

I only half watched the show last night. Wasn't Brooke the girl at the piano with bare feet, saying she couldn't hit the piano pedals properly with shoes on her her feet. 8)

Monica,

It is fun to watch with the kids, isn't it. I mean I know I could be doing 100 other things with my time, but when the show is on this household is all about American Idol. :oops: Guess that's why it's a guilty pleasure.

Some real sleepers this year like the crossword puzzle addict who rocks. I think his name is David Cook and he blew the roof off the room last night with his performance, oh what song did he do? Across The Universe?

Should we start a thread for this season's American Idol?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 am

I support having an American Idol thread for all you AI viewers. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:35 am

Randy?
Paula?
Simon?

I concur. :D
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:22 am

David Cooke did Eleanor Rigby...

time for the new thread!!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:29 am

Patti....new thread just launched.

Seacrest out!!!

:D
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 pm

Peeps. I love Peeps. I can't get enough of those marshmellow-y sugar coated chickie-bunnies. I'm pretty sure I am the only adult on the planet who still eats 'em. :oops:

Only Easter ones though. None of those Halloween ones. Yuck!!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Say Something”