How far would you go.....for music!

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

annieb

How far would you go.....for music!

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Ok, so it's pretty obvious to me that we are all here because we love music!!

So here's my question.....

What is the farthest distance you have travelled to see one of your favorites? Who was it? And was it worth it?

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm

I've had the good fortune to be travelling somewhere and have one of my faves playing nearby. I'm not sure that qualifies. Every trip I plan away from home I always look at a concert calendar to see if the stars align for a chance to see a fave in concert while there.

Off the top of my head.....Houston to Kerrville....259 miles. :D
Many faves....though we decided to go the festival the very first time Ellis played the mainstage, the year after he won New Folk. Worth it!!! 8)

NO, I think it's Exton to Ogunquit.....403 miles. :D To see Ellis Paul and his buddy Flynn. It was a gathering of several EP Devotees at Jonathan's Restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine. You might have read about it here on the forum in the 3000 Miles section. To date, 198, 673 have..... :D

And what few of you know, til now....is that instead of staying the night in Ogunquit after the show at Jonathan's....I drove home. My wife thought me crazy, of course, and worried about my safety, rightfully so.

So make that 806 miles......roundtrip. :P

What can I say, I love the road....and roadtrips for music are the best!!!

Great topic Annie.....I have a feeling you and Karen will surprise us all!!!

:D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Flew to Denver to see my family on a weekend I knew Ellis was going to be in Colorado for three shows, so home to Salida, CO is mapquested at 1163 miles one way if it were by car. The miles on the dash were doing back-flips.

Oh, and Paddy? Are we really going to be surprised? :o and perhaps Richard and Jela will challenge for the championship.

Fun posting! Thanks Annie.

Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Seems to me that I remember having this discussion once before. :)

I'm keeping quiet lest you all discover how insane I really am. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Oh come on Karen, please, fess up. Something still tells me someone on the board has travelled further than you for music. (more to come..... :wink: )

Sing it with me now.......

3,000 miles :?: :?: :?:

:lol:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm

KarenZ wrote:Seems to me that I remember having this discussion once before. :)

I'm keeping quiet lest you all discover how insane I really am. ;)

KarenZ

Ok, I'm a newbie here, I had a feeling this may have come up before! But....everything old is new again!!

Please, Karen, fess up!! I really need to hear how far you've gone. My family is thinking of putting me in a 12 step program. I could use your miles as my defense!! :shock: :D

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:06 pm

According to the International air distance calculator, Pittsburgh, PA to Munich, Germany is 4286.3 miles. (Ellis Paul. Yes, it was worth the trip.) :)

But....I know Richard and Jela can top that. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:10 pm

KarenZ wrote:According to the International air distance calculator, Pittsburgh, PA to Munich, Germany is 4286.3 miles. (Ellis Paul. Yes, it was worth the trip.) :)

Wow!! How cool was that?!!

Awesome! Annie :)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Well this thread has made me get the calculator out! Just joking - using that link I've worked out that:

We travelled to Boston in 2004 and 2006 which from London is 3284 miles Ellis Paul (who else?) and yes every single mile was worth it!

In 2004 we went to Austin - 4916 miles - Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy and Yes, Yes, Yes. We have been every year since for SXSW and will be there next month.

In 2007 we flew to Oklahoma 4647 miles then drove to Okemah ?miles to see Ellis Paul - you bet it was worth it! and then from OK we flew to Washington 1141 miles for Ellis Paul (again) and yes it was worth it too! Not sure that the combined trip 5788 miles would count.

So I guess its 4916 miles to Austin..............

..........at work today I was talking about travelling to the US for concerts/music festivals (have also been to Newport Folk Festival twice) and two colleagues, seperately called me a 'Groupie' Should I be offended or pleased????

So Annie, there's plenty of us nutcases around this wide world!

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Oh...you guys totally ROCK!!

I'm feeling very at home here!

Annie :)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Oh I forgot - last year after SXSW 4916 miles we then flew to Houston 141.5 miles and then to OK 421.5 miles totalling 5479 miles to see Antje at the Depot in Norman (add a few miles on for the car trip from Airport to Norman courtesy of BeckyG) and yep - that was worth it!

If you think we're nuts, SXSW is like a family reunion for us and each year we meet up with other music afficionados who have become like friends including a guy who travels from Singapore and last year we also made friends with an Aussie from Melbourne and will be seeing him again next month.

I can't think of a better way to spend a holiday.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Ooooh! I want to go to SXSW and meet an Aussie from Melbourne too! And I want it NOW! :D

Veruca

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Actually it was Pittsburgh to Paris (via Cinncinnati), then Paris to London by plane, then London to Twickenham by train (and back), then London to Cheltenham by train, then Cheltenham to London via car, then London to Munich via plane, then Munich to Wasserburg, Germany by car.

Four Ellis Paul shows. As our friend Herve would say....C'est magnifique! :)

Who wants to add all those miles up? :D (I think the Webbs still wear the crown. No pun intended.) :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Hop on that plane Karen! See you there????

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:24 pm

KarenZ wrote:Actually it was Pittsburgh to Paris (via Cinncinnati), then Paris to London by plane, then London to Twickenham by train (and back), then London to Cheltenham by train, then Cheltenham to London via car, then London to Munich via plane, then Munich to Wasserburg, Germany by car.

Four Ellis Paul shows. As our friend Herve would say....C'est magnifique! :)

Ok, now you're just showing off.... :wink: :D

That was gonna be my next question. Have you ever been on a (what I call) a concert 'bender'!!

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:34 pm

Annie,

It's the "hallmark sign" of being an EP Devotee. hee...hee....hee....

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

...and not just EP but Sam Baker three nights running, Richard Shindell three shows running. When they don't come over to the UK that often, we have to get our fill when we can. Best news is that Sam Baker is coming back later this year.........quite possibly twice(!)

Jela

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi All

I am new here and of course when I read AnnieB's post I thought about being 17 again and talking with my girlfriends.. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well any way..I think the farthest I ever went..was from NY to Barcelona to see Jackson Browne..maybe Ellis will start to rev up my "How Far will you Go" theme again..

:roll:

Elle

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 pm

I was watching one of those Jeff Black youtubes this afternoon and in 1 of them he says to the Evening Muse crowd:

I see some folks here who have been following me around a bit, and that's great!!!

He looked a little nervous...... :lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Welcome, Elle! Good to have another traveler aboard! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Elle - naughty, naughty!!

Seriously, welcome to the db Fairydust (lovely name).

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:09 pm

fairydust wrote:Hi All

Well any way..I think the farthest I ever went..was from NY to Barcelona to see Jackson Browne..maybe Ellis will start to rev up my "How Far will you Go" theme again..

:roll:

Elle

I have 2 things to say to our newest member:

1. Welcome aboard Elle!!! :D

2. Get your motor running!!! :lol:
paddy

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks Guys

I was hoping that my intro was not taken in a bad way..

Bless My Sweet Mistakes :lol:

Elle

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Elle,

Not sure what you mean by taking it the wrong way...it was a great first post. On the how far would you go question I half expected to hear annie say she had been 'round the world to see Jackson Browne in concert.

Which is why I suggesed that Karen and annie might surprise us when we find out how far they have travelled. You're confession of NY to Barcelona is most impressive, I must say!!! 8) Karen's miles travelling to see Ellis is astounding and most impressive as well. Though not surprising.

Richard and Jela, your distances are just plain awe inspiring. To think I have to gauge wheter a 2 hr 45 min. car trip to see Ellis is stretching it.

Have we heard from our thread starter, annie, yet? :P

C'mon AnnieB, I'm pretty sure Jackson Browne does not read our forum. :lol:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:09 am

paddyinthepub wrote:Have we heard from our thread starter, annie, yet? :P

C'mon AnnieB, I'm pretty sure Jackson Browne does not read our forum. :lol:

Ok, I know you all probably expect more from me, but the best I can do is Atlanta to Avila Beach CA. for Jackson. I have yet to leave the country for music, although I did try to track down Bono once when I was in Ireland years ago.

I'm basically the poor relation, waiting to win the lottery!!

My 'bender' was last spring. Two Jackson shows in Vermont, then down to the Jersey Shore for one more.

I've been loving hearing all of your stories though. I really don't mind living vicariously. :)

Annie

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 am

Wowzah! There are some serious miles here all for the love of music!

The farthest I've ever traveled was to Okemah, Oklahoma last year to the WoodyFest to see Jimmy LaFave and Ellis and Karen Z. and Richard and Jela and Becky G!!!!

One of my favorites was a road trip from Massachusetts to Connecticut then onto New Jersey to see Mr. LaFave, then back to Massachusetts to see Lori McKenna!

There's nothing like a Road Trip! :D

Monica R.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:40 pm

My personal philosophy is that if you've got it, spend it, and you should spend it on music, travel, soccer, or any combination of the three. :mrgreen:

I think the farthest show I have been to is Matt Nathanson in San Francisco. But I have needed a passport for 2 of the shows I've been to. Boyz II Men in the Bahamas and Great Big Sea in Canada (Montreal).

I have never flown to see Ellis, but my dream is to see him perform in Alaska.

I think a 6 hour drive is as far as I've been for him, but he came into my life right about the time my music budget was slashed in favor of a mortgage.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Say Something”