website discoveries

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

website discoveries

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:05 pm

The world wide web continues to amaze me. It occured to me that new and cool stuff pops up all the time and how it reaches folks often relies on word of mouth recommendations, like say, friends mentioning it in passing. Just thought we might have a thread to share website discoveries of note.

A website I've been addicted to for about a week, FreeRice.com was suggested by a forum member here......thanks Patti!!! :D

Here's what the press has to say about the website:

http://www.freerice.com/press.html

It's a fun, challenging vocabulary building game for a good cause. Here's how it works. Once on the website, you are given a word and asked to choose multiple choice style (4 choices) the word that best fits. For every word you guess correctly, 20 grains of rice are destined for people in need.

http://www.freerice.com/index.php
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:06 pm

What a great and innovative way to do some good. I had a go and it is addictive - I got to 1000 grains and stopped there. If everyone on the board here had a go, between us we'd donate a sackful of rice.

Off you go guys!

Jela

PS Thanks Paddy for alerting us to this site

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 pm

Be warned it is addicting!! I have several siblings who like this site and we figure we have proably feed a small village for a week!!

The program donates the food through the United Nations...

There is no registartion process, you can just jump on and off the site as much as you like... Come On all you etymologists... give it a try.. I bet you'll be surprised by how many words you'll get right that you didn't even know you knew!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Patti

Amazes me just how good I am at guessing the meaning of a word..... :D I've actually become addicted to this fun little word game. I like the concept, too. There's all manner of ways to help those in need. This is a fun and easy way to do it. The added bonus is testing your vocabulary skills. It's funny how often you can see the answer right there in the word, hidden, but there. I wish I had something like this when i was younger, then I might know the meaning of a word I'm struggling with right now.

etymologists???

I miss having the 4 multiple choice possibilities FreeRice.com provides. :wink:
paddy

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi PITP

Love the game..thanks for sending..

Elle :lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:41 am

Elle

Glad you like it... :D

Whereever did ALL those words come from??? :shock:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:09 am

Another site I like, is www.dictionary.com Not only is it a handy reference but you can sign up to get a word of the day sent to you. They also have Spanish word of the day, (that my daugthter uses.)

I was smiling when I saw today's word because I happen to know it. It was a word I read in an interview from Mark Erelli talking about Lori Mckenna once. At the time I had to look the word up, today I knew it for sure!! The word is ... aplomb...

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:55 am

Patti,

thanks......

I found the need to look up a word and used your link. I've used webster's online and thesaurus before. Dictionary dot com works in a pinch. :D

I saw the word of the day: aplomb --- only one p -- hmmn, okeedoke!!

I saw Mark Erelli talkin about Lori McKenna and had really had no idea what the word meant....just that it was somethin good! :D
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:55 pm

I also love this and have been playing with friends. I was originally suspicious of the advertising but I got over it. :-)

In a pinch, I use google text as a dictionary. You send a text message to "GOOGLE" with the message:

define <insert>

and it sends you back all definitions that it can find on the web. It's pretty cool. You can use it for definitions, looking up phone numbers and addresses, movie listings, weather and flight status. I am sure it can do other things too.

:-)

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Okay lots of words I have recently seen on freerice.com have been popping up all over the place. I heard Ellis use two of them in the Acoustic Cafe interview I just listened to... weird.. but also another word came up that I can't believe I didn't know. Not because I know that many words but it is a common word with a completley different meaning when not capitalized. Kind of like polish and Polish, but this particular word has a recent Oscar and Grammy reference. It all makes sense now, but who knew!! Any guesses anyone??

**NOTE** It may not have a Grammy reference but def. has an Oscar reference..

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:30 pm

Okay... I'll give a hint!!

This word was used in the in the list of nominations as Falling Slowly from the movie Once....

I think I just gave it away :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:05 am

Patti

If you just gave it away...i missed it. :oops: Just went back and watched on tivo and have yet to solve the mystery word. Give me a little more time today and maybe it''ll hit me....thanks. :)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 am

It's a rather Grand word if I must say!! Like I said "who knew"??

Well Maybe David Cook knows (rocker from American Idol) he is self proclaimed "word nerd" and proud of it!!

Yes, American Idol has become as Mark Erelli says, "a guilty pleasure"
It is one of the few shows that all four people in the house can watch together..

Also, after AI, a new show Back to You was on .. It takes place in Pittsburgh.. seemed funny enough but I can only take sitcoms in small small doses..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:36 am

Patti....

I give up!!! :lol:

Been trying to solve this one for days...Colin Farrell introduced Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova and in his intro said a word I had trouble understanding. But I don't think that's it.

My final answer, Regis......Enchanted???

:oops:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Nopey dope.. (well at least not that I know of) Good Guess though.

The word I saw on freerice was august, I had no idea it had another meaning other than the month and Roman leader.. but according to dictionary.com

it means: grand, inspiring reverence or admiration; of supreme dignity or grandeur; majestic: an august performance of a religious drama.

Which I feel certain is how the name August Rush came to be the name Robin Williams invented for the boy in the movie (though in that scene he seemed to say it because of a truck driving by)

A song from August Rush was a nominee in the same category as Falling Slowly... ..

And a simple change of a capital letter to lower case changes the meaning of the word.. like Turkey (the country) turkey (the bird) polish the furniture, Polish(from Poland) there is a probably a word for that to, but I'm sure I don't know it. l I think I better let Karen stick to the trivia making questions here :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Good one, Patti. I was looking for a less obvious word, obviously. :roll: I went thru the show (tivo'd) and looked at all the nominee intros for song.

August has never been anything more than a month for me. :oops:

Til now..... :D

A side note... I checked out an artist new to me this morning based on a recommendation on another artist's website. It led me to the website of a female artist from South Australia by the name of Sia. Apparently she's all the rage these days and currently touring and selling out venues across America.

Her myspace stuff was good enough I suppose, didn't really grab me. But then again, I rarely make the connection to an artist thru myspace tunes. I have to dive in to the whole record or concert experience to be able to tell for sure if I'm going to like the music of an artist I'm only just learning about.

Anyway, the cool thing I found on her myspace, or maybe her website?

A link to feeding starving people across the world thru the United Nations.

Yup......FreeRice.com

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:11 am

Rec'd an email from Barnes and Noble Books and music this morning.

Big sale is on with thousands of CDs as low as $6.99. Knew it was too good to be true. The ones that caught my eye were a few dollars more. Prices are still really low on these and members get an extra dollar off.

Herbie Hancock - The Joni Letters
Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic Vol. 2
Once - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
Cat Power - Jukebox
Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer
Tift Merritt - Another Country

www.bn.com

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:02 pm

moviefone

A cool website and in particular this series called unscripted.

Here's comedic actors Steve Carell and Jim Carrey sitting down to promote "Horton hears a who." What I find refreshing here is that they interview each other with questions sent in from fans.

It's a nice change of pace. :)

http://movies.aol.com/unscripted/jim-ca ... ho/2082853
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:46 am

Here's a cool website that focuses on speedtraps across the USA:

http://www.speedtrap.org/index.html

"take a moment and just slow down" ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 am

Where would I be without Google? :shock:

On special days they dress up the word Google to match the occasion.

Today's front page pays tribute to Earth Day...check it..it's pretty sweet.

www.google.com

Now...if we could just persuade them to honor Ellis Paul for a day. :wink:

GOOGLELLISPAUL

Kinda has a ring to it!!! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: website discoveries

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 am

Morning Folks......

Just found this website that features full youtube catalougues of some of music's greats. This link starts off with John Martyn but know that under the video screen you can click to see and hear other faves. 8)

ckuik website
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 am

WARNING DO NOT GO TO THIS SITE IF YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING TODAY. :P .. OMG, Paddy.. this site is highly addictive and dangerous to those who suffer from ADD.. once you hit one performer.. several other "similar sounding " pop up and then you think I 'll just click on one more... it is a viscous cycle.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:31 am

Bless the Weather I'm under today....... :oops:

It's a rainy cold and admittedly I could wile away the hours at this site. I've yet to click on other artists as I sit here this morning enjoying the amazing John Martyn......Bless the Weather and so many others.

Thanks for the warning..... :lol:

My advice is remember that it's here......and save it for a rainy day.

:wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Talk about all inclusive...............search for your favorite and see.

Ellis Paul

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Here's a brain teaser from Japan. My brain age is 31, according to this. Don't I wish!!!

This will drive you nuts. The site instructions are in Japanese, so read below! I typed them out. When you enter the link below:

1. Touch 'start'
2. Wait for 3, 2, 1.
3. Memorize the number's position on the screen, and then click the circle from
the smallest number to the biggest number.
4. At the end of game, the computer will tell you the age of your brain.

Good luck, ya'll. :D

Test your brain's age here
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:58 pm

Two of my favorite things in the world are good music and good food..... :D

Ellis Paul has a fan in Brooke Burton, formerly of Boston and now living in California, with a website that's mostly all about her love for food where she blogs about trips and meals and recipes and such. Spent a few minutes there today salivating over a number of the excellent photos of delicious meals she and friends had put together for various dinners and occasions.

She gives a shout out to Ellis on her website:

Working in restaurants was never meant to be a career I’d fall in love with. It was a means to cover my bills until I reached my goal of becoming a professional screenwriter. Despite my creative aspirations, however, by the spring of 1998 I was thoroughly embedded in the restaurant scene in Cambridge/Boston. I was the only female bartender—a singular position I relished—at Toad, a popular locals’ bar and music club (albeit tiny) in Porter Square, Cambridge. Four nights a week I was the person that everybody knew--the friendly bartender to regulars, tourists, Harvard academics, rocket scientists and musicians like Patty Griffin, Peter Mulvey, Ellis Paul and the band Morphine. At Toad, everybody really did know your name.

I discovered her website via a comment she left on Ellis' latest blog about Obama on the front page where she provided a link to foodwoolf dot com that will not link......that's where I come in. :D

Food Woolf website

Yummy!!! 8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:35 am

Yum, Yum

Love the name of the website and the reason for calling it 'Food Woolf'

We live fairly close to 'Charleston' where the Bloomsbury set including Virginia Woolf spent a lot of time - it's open to the public during the spring/summer months and is a fascinating place to visit.

Charleston

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Not long ago a friend sent me this painting and asked how many of those pictured I could name.

Sad to say not as many as I thought....about half I think. Well, my father in law, in his wisdom, sent me the painting today with a cool twist. You can mouse over each historical figure for the name and even click on it for the wikipedia page that will tell you most all you ever need to know. Enjoy!

Famous People Painting with Wiki Links
paddy

Return to “Say Something”