Valentine's Day exercise....

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Valentine's Day exercise....

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:19 pm

Happy Valentine's Day to all you EP-Devotees! :)

The images we see of Valentine's Day seem to suggest that love involves several necessary objects: flowers, candy, diamonds—at least a sentiment-filled card. If we are not on the receiving end of one of these, we may feel disappointed, even rejected.

Here is an exercise to recall all of the love we have already given to the world. We always have the power to be lovers — to love — and to remember that our value does not depend upon the response of others:

Pull out a favorite tablet or notebook and pen.

Decide on categories ... "Childhood," "Teen," etc., or maybe the streets or towns or cities where you have lived at different stages in your life.

Begin filling out the pages with every loving act you can remember from the stages in your life:

Examples:

"I turned a plot of our yard into a flower garden."
"I was kind to the class outcast."
"I gave my favorite toy to my cousin."
"I spent the night without sleep because my baby had a fever."
"I sat by the bed of my grandmother when she was dying."

Avoid starting sentences with "I loved," if possible, so you don't end up with "I loved ice cream." :) That's pleasure, and it's wonderful, but it's not the kind of love we're trying to capture.

Throughout the day, continue recalling and writing down your loving acts from the past and present. (For example, I helped KarenZ on the board today.) :)

THEN....This evening, sit down with a cup of tea or coffee, put on some Ellis Paul music, light a few candles, and slowly read over your list, allowing yourself to savor the memory of each loving act.

Express your gratitude that you have been a good lover in so many ways in you life so far!

Save your record of "true love"—your loving actions in the world—and add to it as you like. Add sketches or mementoes; add new items as they come to mind. Read it any time you need reminding that love is a verb — it's not what we feel, it's what we do!

Thanks for the many loving acts here on the board....like writing CD reviews......and making me laugh out loud! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Happy Valentine's Day to all you EP faithful! :D

Thanks Karen for the lovely idea. I hope I can remember a few of those things in this busy time we all live in.

Regards,
Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:32 pm

"Let me call you sweetheart....I'm in love with my automobile"

A song my dad would often sing...though I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was "on the road" versus in the driveway until he figured out exactly what the problem was. Think Al Jolson in blackface and you pretty much have a picture of him after a day under the car. :shock:

Not sure where the song comes from, but it sure came to mind this morning as we waited for the school bus to arrive. I asked the kids if they knew any Valentine's Day songs, and when they didn't, I sang them a line of his. :D

Great exercise in love you have suggested, Karen. I think it's all a bit overrated anyway, all the lovey dovey Hallmark stuff. We fall for it cause we always have and always will. I like the idea of the little things you do for people that show that love on any given occasion, or day!!!

Heaven help those not in love on Valentine's Day in America. I've been there myself, and as I recall, NOT FUN. Then I grew to appreciate Valentine's Day for what it was. Nowadays, I try to show love in little ways all year long, with less weight on getting it just right on a day like today. I mostly get a kick out of our son's excitement that he'll be handing out and receiving cards in class today. They've changed the rules a bit, it's no longer a popularity contest. If you give one classmate a card, you give them all a card.

NO HEART LEFT BEHIND

:wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:56 pm

Karen you have given me something to think about tonight, though I do know (and appreciate) that I am loved and I give love everyday; it is nice to stop and reflect on it.

This morning I guess I was humming/singing out loud...the words " love love love love love love love love.".. and Lindsay asked if the song had any other words? So I promtly pulled out Ellis, Live at Passim New Year CD and played Two Bends In the Road, the song I had been humming... Love that song :)

Also, on the bulletin board outside the art classroom at Lindsay's school, the teacher put up a display with the quote... " Art is the color of Love" ...Marc Chagall.... Well of course she had to tell the teacher that she knows a song about him!!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:27 am

Folks,

Wow....I really enjoyed reading ALL your comments in reply to this post! Thanks so much (again!). :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Say Something”