Christmas Fun Survey

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:27 pm

This is just a partial list of my favorites. Couldn't narrow it down to one. :)

"have yourself a merry little christmas" - Johnny Mathis
"silent night" - Mannheim Steamroller
"little drummer boy" - David Bowie & Bing Crosby (we talked about this last year!)
"Sleigh Ride" - Boston Pops
"christmas time in my hometown" - Bobby Helms
"happy christmas (war is over)" - John Lennon
"wonderful christmas time" - Paul McCartney
"happy holidays" - Alabama
"ave maria" - Perry Como
"little wood guitar" - Ellis Paul :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:47 pm

16. Clear this year. Previously they were red and clear in keeping with a red and silver theme but this year I've changed to a gold/bronze/brown theme so the clear ones were the only choice.

17. I can't just choose one so these are my choices:

John McCutcheon - Christmas in the Trenches
Pogues/Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York
Ellis Paul - Snow in Austin
Dave Carter + Tracy Grammer - American Noel
Mary Gauthier - Christmas in Paradise
Band Aid - Do they know its Christmas?
Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas
Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus is comin' to town
Steve Earle - Christmas in Washington
Chris Rea - Driving home for Christmas
John Lennon - Happy Xmas, War is Over

and for Richard ............Rockin' around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee (it has sentimental memories as it was the first record he ever owned - a Xmas present from his mother in 1962 - and he still has it!!!!)

Jela
Last edited by Richard + Jela on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monicar

Postby monicar » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:38 pm

16. Colored lights

17. Judy Garland - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Snow in Austin (which just finished playing) and I LOVE Ellis' version of Little Wood Guitar!

MonicaR.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:44 pm

My wife's:

Oh Holy Night
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
I'll Be Home For Christmas

Mine:

I'll start by saying I can't stand Christmas music in the retail stores if they start playing it too soon. To me it's just too commercial at times. And if I'm in the malls doing last minute shopping (done lots of this) it is almost as if the Christmas music playing overhead is a cruel reminder that I've waited TOO LONG again. It sounds like this to me: tick tock tick tock....

This year I reconnected to the great old classics played 24/7 on the music channel on Comcast cable tv....the "holiday music" channel. All the great old songs sung by a "who's who" of the great singers of days gone by.

A few I bust out singing on my own:

Drummer Boy
O' Come All YE Faithful

From childhood:

All I Want for Christmas (Alvin and the Chipmunks) :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:31 am

My local PBS radio station (WQED Pittsburgh) is broadcasting the Nine Lessons ands Carols live from King's College this morning from 10am - noon EST.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:04 am

Same here in Boston on 89.7 WGBH... I'l l try to tune in..
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:18 pm

Working today, so I can take time off later this week and next, so I won't be listening early in the day to Lessons and Carols. :( Maybe they will rebroadcast later tonight... I hope you who get the chance to listen - enjoy

Day 18 Question:

18. Your Christmas Venue: Travel or Stay at Home?

My answer: Usually 50/50. This year, Home [sits across the table...], Italian for Christmas Eve with some good Italian wine 8) and traditional turkey for Christmas Day
db

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Home - Turkey with all the trimmings on Christmas Day after we've been to watch the son of a friend swim in the sea on Christmas morning with his swimming club. Its a long-standing tradition in Brighton - they sure are brave souls going into the sea in this cold weather! We'll be wrapped up warm, watching from the sidelines.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:54 pm

A little of both for me on Christmas Day - at home in the morning with my son and a good friend who'll be stopping by to join in the gift giving then later in the afternoon I'll head to my mom's - which is only about 10 miles away - to get together with other family members. Then on Friday I'm heading east to Boston. :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:06 pm

We rotate in my family. This year, it's my in-laws tonight (right up the street) and my brother's house tomorrow!

Hope you all have a very Happy Merry!

Looking forward to seeing you next week, Karen. Travel safely.

MonicaR.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:15 pm

If it's Christmas this must be Cleveland -- which, they say, Rocks!!! My wife has not lived here for 16 years, but hasn't spent Christmas anywhere else. It's nice to be a one tank trip away these days, she (we) have travelled cross country to be here for Christmas for years.

Often it's Christmas Eve at my sister-in-law's....although were skipping that gathering tonight, since they're all under the weather. Santa knows where the lil guy will be on Christmas morning, at nana's house on the lake. :) Everyone gathers here for breakfast and later on, dinner.

Merry Christmas!!!

Safe travels, all....enjoy the shows, too!!! :wink:
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:10 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL!

Day 19 Question:

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?

My answer: Yes, but I must say there is a controversy brewing in Indiana over the proper name of one of the reindeer. :wink: I'm voting with the person who lived closest to the North Pole :shock: ... well that might have been me. Once upon a time [for 18+ years], I lived a couple 100 miles from Alice's Champagne Palace.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas.
db

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:02 pm

One family tradition has us reading "The night before Christmas" and last night I could haver answered "yes, I can name all of Santa's reindeer" as we had just read off their names in the story. This morning, as I type this, I'd be hard pressed to name them all..... :cry:

Another tradition here is to leave cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for his reindeer....they must work up quite an appetite -- it's gone by morning. :D

The lil guy was looking at NORAD's website tracking Santa's progress and he saw him somwhere over Brazil and then later over Maine. He heard noises outside and raced to the window and saw shadows up in the sky.

Merry Christmas from Ohio, to all who read the forum. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:21 pm

I'm singing the beginning of "Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer" in my head and this is all I can remember....

Dancer
Prancer
?
Vixen
Comet
Cupid
Donner
Blitzen
Rudolph

:)

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Day 20 Question:

Top of Tree: Angel or Star?

My answer: Star

RE: yesterday's question - Dasher... would be the one not listed.

and the controversy is: Donner or Donder? www.donder.com

I remembered it to be Donder...

I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas! :D
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:21 pm

Star!

I've never heard of DonDer! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:10 pm

I'm sure there were years when it was stars, it's an Angel these days.
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:28 pm

An Angel, although this year there was neither, as we need to find a good angel for the tree again......

A belated Merry Christmas to all....

BTW - we always said Donner when I was young, using the more modern German word for Thunder, but in times past it was Dunder (Dutch) or Donder (German)..... We could also add the South Park list.....
Jeff

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:38 am

Hope you all had a lovely holiday!

Thanks for the questions, Dean. That was a fun way to count down the season and I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

to catch up:
White Christmas is probably my favorite song;
Angel on the tree-top (though this year ours is a rabbit);
Yes, I think I could have named the reindeer (Donner sounds right to me);
Travel seems to be the norm these days - though I would LOVE to be able to host the family here in Maine... I think they got scared off 8 years ago when they got snowed in :roll:
-wendy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:56 am

Day 21 Question:

21. Open presents: Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

My answer: One present Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas Day.

There are still four questions to go, after today's question, as you were promised 25 questions which will take us to New Years Eve, because at the end, someone is going to win a special gift. As a reminder:

KarenZ wrote:Just to clarify - we'll have one winner on Dec. 31, but you don't have to participate everyday. I haven't figured this out yet, but probably on the last day there will be a trivia question tied in somehow. :)

KarenZ

We're still working on the details. I'm glad you folks have been enjoying this topic. :D
db

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:12 pm

Hooray! More questions!

one Christmas Eve, the rest Christmas day is also the norm with my family.
-wendy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:46 pm

Wow!

So sorry I haven't chimed in sooner, life's been crazy and I haven't has time to visit the board.

Here goes...

1) Wrapping paper, I love to wrap. I do charity gift wrapping every year and I used to have a couple of folks pay me to do their wrapping. gift bags are great for some thing though.

2) I have never had a real tree. My Mom was fire paranoid, and completely refused to have a real tree. Now that I have my own place, it's too darm small for anything but a small table top artificial tree. Someday....

3) As I said I have a small apartment so the tree goes up over the weekend about two weeks before christmas...

4)...and it comes down right after New Years

5) Love eggnog! esp. with a shot of amaretto! YUM!

6) Favorite gift...my big wheels trike when I was 4! or my Ipod last year!

7) No nativity

8) Hardest to buy for...no one really.

9) Easiest is my Mom

10) Worst gift...One year I asked my Mom for shirts. Button down comfy shirts. She got me a bunch of frilly, girly blouses. I don't do blouses and she knows that!

11) I do send cards

12) Favourite movie...ANIMATED How the Grinch stole Christmas! None of that live action Jim Carey ripoff!

13) I start shopping whenever I find something. When i'm on summer vacation or anywhere I find things to save for christmas presents!

14) Re-gift...oh yeah! sometimes it is necessary. But be sure to give it to someone that doesn't know the original giver. One of my friends had her annual christmas party one year and she regifted something I gave her the previous year to someone at this party. Made me feel real good!

15) Favourite to eat...most everything. My mom makes a great meal!

16) I like the colored lights. Although I have seen some beautiful trees with all white lights.

17) favourite song...so many to choose from...in no particular order...

Snow in Austin - Ellis Paul
Do they Know it's Christmas - Band-aid
Christmas, Baby Please Come Home - U2
Happy Christmas (war is over) - The Alarm
Christmas in Sarajevo - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
You're a mean one Mr. Grinch!

18) I always go to my Moms for christmas. Thanksfully she only live 5 minutes away!

19) Yes I can name all the reindeer!

20) I have a star on my tree

21) We open presents on christmas morning (or afternoon, depending on when I get to Mom's)

This was fun...I'll try to come back every day!
Susan

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:23 pm

Christmas morning! :)

Heading to Boston in the morning folks. Will check in when I can.... :)

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:24 am

Day 22 Question:

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

I have two, but will share my other one tomorrow…

My answer: I’m borrowing this one from my daughter – Traffic!!! :x It just seems to be getting worse each year.

I had to post this one early today because… we’re off to Boston on the 6:50am flight! Yea!!! See you EP groupies there!
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:21 am

INFLATABLE decorations! :evil:

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:12 am

19. Yes, I can name all of the reindeer.

20. Angel.

21. Christmas morning.

22. Going anywhere near a mall/traffic!

I welcome all of the travelers to Boston!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

MonicaR.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:23 am

most annoying: those radio stations that begin playing Christmas music all the time from the day before Thanksgiving!
(traffic runs a close second) :shock:

Safe travels all of you headed to Boston for the Passim shows!!
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:09 am

most anoying thing about Christmas:

Stores that decorate for Christmas before Halloween. Why things cost half the day after Christmas than the day before.

once upon a time...opened one gift on Christmas Eve....the rest xmas morning.

Nowadays...it's Christmas morning.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:32 am

Most annoying...the millions of trees that died when every company in the world sends me countless catalogs! I hate getting them, never order from them and they keep sending the same catalog with a different cover, like that makes any difference!

Happy travels everyone..see you this weekend!
Susan

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:57 pm

Day 23 Question:

23. If you could tell everyone anything for Christmas, what would it be?

My answer:
If I could whittle down the scriptures,
the Bible, the Koran
I'd whittle it down to one phrase
Any fool could understand!
"Love Your Fellow Man!"

db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:30 am

"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart."

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:30 am

Day 24 Question:

24. What did you ask Santa for this year?

My answer: A new fleese pull over.

One more question for tomorrow and the survey is complete.
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:41 am

Anything in my stocking. He complied. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:32 pm

Find time to enjoy the season....is what I'd tell folks at Christmas.

In a less is more kind of way I asked Santa for nothing this year. The best thing I got this year was the simplest - a heartfelt card from my wife.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm in catching up mode again........

19. I could only name 3 of the reideer - Rudolph, Dancer and Prancer (I thought one might have been Lancer but I was way off beam there)

20. Neither, for years we had a fairy but this year we have a cream poinsetta leaf with gold glittery bits

21. Christmas morning, after breakfast but before lunch. This year it was after we got back from watching the sea swimmers and lunch wasn't until about 3.00pm

22.The hi-jacking of Christmas by the politically correct lobby - I'll say no more

23. Peace and goodwill to all

24. Book - Things I wish my mother had told me (Santa delivered!)

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:29 am

23. Slow down and enjoy the holidays.

24. New Jammies!

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:34 pm

Day 25 Question:

25..Dissecting or Carving Up? [i.e. which way do you perfer for EP to sing 'Little Wood Guitar']

My answer: Carving up!

Thank you to all who participated! Hopefully we will decide to night on the trivia question. :)
Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm always amazed at how lyrics will change in a song from inception to final recorded version. Since I've only heard this song once (Eddie's Attic in November) I can't say I remember the lyric, so I'll go with the flow and say:

carving up...... :?

hold the phone...listening to WKNU and Ellis sings "dissecting" and now I do believe Ellis sang "carving up my life" at Eddie's....so I'm "staying pat" :wink:

This was alot of fun, Dean.

Thanks again....... :D
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:15 am

25. Most definitely "carving up!"

This was a lot of fun. Many thanks to Dean!

MonicaR.

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:05 am

23. Peace on Earth (or Peas on Earth, which always makes me :lol:)

24. the last Harry Potter book (yes, Santa delivered)

25. Uninformed, I remain undecided. :wink:

Thanks Dean! Great set of questions.
Happy New Year to all!
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:27 pm

The envelope, please........ :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:43 pm

25. I didn't understand the question at first - lost in translation once again! Story of my life on the board!!!!

As I haven't heard the different versions of the song regret I can't answer this one.

Dean, great quiz - its been real fun to read everyone's responses and to get a feel for the different things that people think/do at Christmas. Thanks.

Jela

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:36 pm

Dear Jela:

Don't worry - sorry for being vague for those who haven't heard the song. If you check out the home-made video using Sugerland's version of Little Wood Guitar (see http://www.myspace.com/ellispaul and look for the link to the video below the picture from Essentials), you'll hear her singing 'They're passing 'round the dinner plate and dissecting my life', I've heard Ellis sing it both ways - the other being 'They're passing 'round the dinner plate and carving up my life' - I like it better when EP sings carving up - it makes it more to the holiday rather than multi-syllabic word - anyway. Plus EP doesn't have the twang that Sugarland does...

In truth, this wasn't the original Question 25. I just wasn't comfortable with the original one [what don't you think you'll get for Christmas this year?] - it was on the same level as Question 10 - Worst Christmas gift you ever received - so I thought it was best to end with an EP Christmas song - we now have at least two to choose from (I suppose Calendar Man could be added, too) - anyway - I have an idea for the trivia that some of you are waiting for, I'm going to send a message to Karen to see what she thinks, then I'll post it late tomorrow night. We just got back from Boston a few hours ago, and I have to drive to central Wisconsin in the early morning for a meeting.

Thanks all for your patience.
Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:45 pm

25. Carving.

I'm pretty sure EP actually sang both versions in the song over the weekend. :)

Folks, I ask for your patience as well. I was without computer access for most of the day and am truly crazed with catching up and having to return to work tomorrow. :cry:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:22 am

Take all the time you need........

Why can't I read that without singing Ellis' song? :D
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 am

And now for the drum roll.....

Fanfare, Streamers, Bubbles (left over from the EP 10pm NYE show)...

the trivia question is:

Please give the name of the traditional Christmas story that refers to those from Question 19 where the controversy ensude, and include the author's full name. There were three deviations to the title, any one will suffice. And just for fun - tell what the controversy is/was in your answer, so people don't have to go back and look it up.

For your effort you will receive a copy of the "Legacy II" CD a collectors item from 1992, featuring one track with EP singing Ashes to Dust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy:_A_ ... Folk_Music

Thanks to all who participated in the survey. And if you haven't yet, you can still take the time to fill it out if you'd like to...

Cheers!
Dean

p.s. Thanks to all who commented on the survey. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. That sure made it fun for me to post it.

mm

Postby mm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:34 am

"Twas The Night Before Christmas" by Clement Clark Moore.

The controversy was whether it was "Donner" or "Donder" was the correct spelling/pronunciation of that one reindeer name.

Thanks for all the Chritmas spirit, Dean!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:06 am

Congratulations Monica!!! That's quite a prize -- happens to be where my wife and I discovered the music of Ellis Paul. :D

Thanks Dean for all the Christmas fun around the holidays.

Looking forward to the next one. :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:26 pm

Congratulations Monica M!!!!!!!!!

:wink: MonicaR.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Well Done Monica! Congrats!

Karen will send you your prize via the Post.

Thanks again to all who participated! :D
Dean

Return to “Say Something”