Christmas Fun Survey

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:40 pm

My dad. He does have everything he needs and most everything that he wants. It's always a struggle to come up with something fun for him!
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:19 pm

That's easy -- my wife. :?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Paddy,

You can NEVER go wrong with jewelry. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:26 pm

So they say... :wink:

Safe to say my least favorite store to shop. :?
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 am

Day 9 Question:

You guessed it....

9. Easiest person to buy for?

My answer: The ONE you know will appreciate it no matter what it is you give, and you know who you are, don't you (FastWoman)?...

Lots to do today, so I have to post this early before the day gets away from me :roll:

A second page for this subject on the board and we're not even half way through yet... Wow! Is it too early for me to say 'I love you guys!!!!'?
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:18 am

I guess my best girlfriends are the easiest to buy for....since anything Ellis Paul is always a BIG hit. ;)

I'm getting an early start today as well....heading to the Post Office right now to mail Wendy's prize from earlier in the week. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:24 am

Oh I wish I had an easy button this time of year. :lol:

Two nights ago my wife hosted a "pirate Christmas" party for the ladies in the neighborhood. You show up with wine or hors derves and a gift. Nothing over $25 and with no one in mind. A fun time was had by all (oh, how the laughter billowed up from the basement) ...legend has it some of these women get pretty vicious when it comes to stealing gifts. :lol:

Sorry, avoided the question, didn't I? :roll:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:42 am

legend has it some of these women get pretty vicious when it comes to stealing gifts.

I wonder if that is the same as a Yankee Swap or a Chinese Auction... you do exchange gifts but it coordinates with a number system of some sort drawn from a hat.. I like the idea of out right stealing!
Paddy do explain!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:09 am

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus....

Yes, Patti, there is a Chinese Auction...same thing.

There were 23 women and 23 gifts. Numbers for pecking order. Go to the "pile of gifts" and select one/open it. It's yours so long as noone else in the room wants it. :P When your turn comes up, you may steal a gift already opened or open a new one. Limit 3 steals of a gift and it's off limits to any of the other pirates in the room. :wink:
paddy

Elaine

Postby Elaine » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Navity = no, never had one myself. My parents have one.

Hardest person to buy for - my dad

Easiest person to buy for - my mom

It is always the most enjoyable to buy gifts for people who are grateful no matter what you give them. I also really like the internet for shopping - the free shipping at this time of year makes it so sweet!!!

Elaine

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:16 pm

Sorry I'm late today, we had our measly 6-inches of snow overnight, so we've been out shoveling and helping... Thank God for Mr. Howell - the plow guy from the Little Wood Guitar! He was awesome clearing the end of the driveways.

Day 10 Question:

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

My answer: Another tough one for me. I want to post a cop-out answer like - 'Can't think of anything' but that wouldn't be fair, especially since I've had all the questions for a long time... so here goes [not to sound too ungrateful]
As a child I wanted toys and games, so when I got clothes instead, it was a big disappointment at the time. I know - pretty lame, but it's the best I can do with this topic.

I can't wait to hear your responses.
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:32 pm

Dean,

This one is hard for me too! I can't even think of a "bad" gift - let alone a "worst" one! OK....I may to to give this more thought....

KarenZ

Elaine

Postby Elaine » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Mothers say: It's the giving not the taking............

On that note - I can not think of a "worst" gift :roll:

Elaine

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:39 pm

What a coincidence.... :lol:

My son just walked in the room and informed his mother:

"I am NOT wearing THAT shirt to school tomorrow!!!"
"Why not???"
"It's a nerdy shirt....it's embarassing!!!"
"It is NOT!!!"
"Yes it is!!!"

I had just started to think about the latest question here and the only thing I could think of was any number of "gift shirts" opened on Christmas morning that I would NEVER have picked out for myself!!! Which led to the often heard "we have the receipt if you don't like it." :?

Someday our son will ask his mother not to shop for him online. :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 am

Catch up time!

Easiest person = ME! My husband is not a shopper, so I make his life easy and pick up a couple of things from him for me while I'm out and about.

Worst Gift = I honestly don't believe I've never NOT liked something I've received. Maybe as a kid, but I don't remember.

MonicaR.

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:32 am

Easiest person: my Mom. Our tastes are enough alike that shopping is very easy.

Worst gift?? No idea! Honest, I think our brains block out memories of such things (unless they are catastrophic). :wink:
-wendy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:31 am

Whew! I'm glad we're moving on - I don't think anyone liked that last question... Thought we might be losing momentum here... Suffice it to say - that was the worst question of the bunch!

Day 11 Question:

11. Christmas Cards: [Do you] Mail or E-mail?

My answer: Mail

Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:39 am

MAIL! :)

And I'm happy to say I completed that task Friday night and the cards went into the mail Saturday.

E-greetings are nice for other occasions though - especially birthdays that sneak up on 'ya. :)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:59 pm

BOTH!
I mail to some, e-mail to others.
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm

It Christmas cards here. Love getting them in the mail, too, especially the ones that include Christmas letters informing of how everyone's doing.
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:16 pm

Cards!!!

Just finished them!

MonicaR.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:07 pm

Day 12 Question:

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?

My Answer: I'm going to go with A Christmas Story (1983) about Ralphie Parker and his quest for an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with a compass in the stock. Who currently living in Northern Indiana wouldn't put this near the top of their list since it's based on a fictitious town of Hohman, Indiana in the 1940's? But that's just me... :)
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:24 pm

Yay! An easy one! Without hesitation Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas! - a movie we first starting watching on HBO when my son was maybe 4 years old in 1981. Finally purchased it on DVD a year or so ago and watching it annually is a Christmas tradition for me. :)

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas on Amazon

Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas in Wikipedia

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:27 pm

It's a Wonderful Life!

MonicaR.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:31 pm

I've missed a few so am jumping back in on this one - not strictly speaking a Xmas movie but for a number of years in the week before Xmas they've shown, on TV, the Agatha Christie stories starring Joan Hickson as Miss Marple - I loved to sit down in the afternoons and watch them. Sadly, they no longer seem to be screening them. She was my absolute favourite Miss Marple. The settings in the traditional English villages were full of nostalgia for a time where life just seemed to be so much simpler.

Also, every Xmas we'd have 'The Great Escape' on TV and growing up with five younger brothers I was indoctriated with 'boy's movies' so this always brings back Xmas memories. We'd all sit and pray that this time Steve McQueen would make it!!!!!

Jela

Elaine

Postby Elaine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Definitely Mail for my Christmas cards - put them in the mailbox today!

Christmas movie - that's tough for me - I am not much of a media person and never have been I guess - I am going to have to go with The Grinch Who Stole Christmas - I do love Dr Sesus!! :D

Elaine

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:07 am

Favorite Xmas movie: Holiday Inn! (Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire),
though I also very much enjoy the Red Rider BB gun Christmas Story... It always makes me laugh.

(another favorite - this one for decorating cookies during those late-night baking marathons that always seem to happen - Repo Man. Very odd, but somehow appropriate :roll: )

p.s. I'm with you, Jela. Joan Hickson is the very best Miss Marple ever. She's being reprised on Mystery (PBS) right now. I hope they'll bring back Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes someday soon, too.
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:52 am

Hmmn....this answer is a tough one, not sure we have a Christmas movie tradition to speak of. There's a slew of movies that come out around Christmas that focus on Santa, like The Santa Clause with a sequel or three, although those are not on my list of faves. I wanted to see Billy Bob Thornton's Bad Santa when it came out a few years ago, but didn't.

Let's see.

It's a Wonderful Life. :)
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:32 am

Day 13 Question:

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

Finally and easy one! :?

My answer: December 1 - I really try to avoid - what do they call it? - Black Friday? The day after Thanksgiving. What a mess!!! Although I'm sure there are some out their that enjoy the mayhem.
db

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:37 am

Well, honestly, I start when I have to. That's to say when I can no longer possibly put it off and still have gifts under the tree for everyone on my list. Suffice to say I put it off til the last possible minute, alway have and I'm afraid I always will. Takes alot of the fun out of the season for me I must admit. :? I always tells myself that next year I'll get a jump on it and have all my Christmas shopping done by Labor Day!!!

HAH!

:lol:
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 am

Day 14 Question:

14. Have you ever re-gifted a Christmas present?

My answer: Oh, I'm sure I have, but not very often, and not because I didn't appreciate it, just that I thought that the recipient could use it a lot more than me.

I hope your Christmas [or Holiday, as the case may be] preparations are going well. :D
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:32 am

Why just this morning the newspaper carrier received a box of chocolates that was given to me by a co-worker. :)

So, the answer is a resounding YES! (Mostly food items that I couldn't/wouldn't be able to eat by myself in a million years.) :)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:44 am

Shopping - I start as soon as the last bunch of gifts have been given. (maybe "shopping" isn't the right word - "looking" is probably more accurate.) Nothing I like better than to find something during the year that I know will be just right for birthday or Christmas, or whatever, and be able to pack it away until needed. The term Pack-Rat comes to mind... :lol:

Regifting - yes, unfortunately. But not often, and always with the hopes that it (the gift) will be better-appreciated by its new owner.
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:15 pm

Let's see.....re-gifting.....uh, that would take me a minute...hmmmn.

YES!!!

Once or twice anyway, and maybe even this year. :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:34 am

Start shopping = After Thanksgiving.

Regifting = Not that I recall.

MonicaR.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 am

Day 15 Question:

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

My answer: Almond Roca - Although I've found I can only eat about three after dinner - A minute on the lips, forever on the...

Almond Roca, I recall was big out West, I haven't seen much of it here in the Midwest. See http://www.brown-haley.com/ Although I did find a can at Walgreens last weekend. Yum!

Emily's Chocolate Chip Cookies and Chelsea's Famous Toffee Cookies [both homemade] are a close tie for second place. :D
db

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:15 am

Favorite thing to eat: EVERYTHING that's served, the appetizers, the meal, the desserts!!!

:lol:

MonicaR

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:24 am

Favorite edible at Christmas: Christmas cookies! :D
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:42 am

I think my favorite thing is something I only make at Christmas - Italian pizzelle cookies. (They're anise flavored.) :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:49 am

Small world, sometimes. Discovered and fell in love with Almond Roca in my mid 20's, then found myself living in the Great Northwest in my 40's and whatdya know living mere minutes away from Brown Haley andf all the great candy they make and offer at their company store.

My wife's mom also makes Italian Pizzelles at the holidays and I have to admit they are habit forming alongside a good cup of coffee. That anise flavor took a little getting used to at first, now I'm hooked.

Present day favorite Holiday food is anything my mother in law cooks.

It's all good!!! :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:56 am

What is Almond Roca??? :oops:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:05 pm

Here's a few words on Wikipedia..... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_roca
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:19 pm

Here's a better look at Almond Rocha...... :D

http://www.brown-haley.com/
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:19 pm

Hmmm....well it sorta looks familiar - I may have seen it on a shelf at oen time or another. I was thinking it must be a drink! (Caffe mocha; almond rocha.) One too many caffe mochas at Starbucks, I guess. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:34 am

Catching up again:

13. Usually try to start thinking about the shopping once Autumn (Fall) is upon us - try to do it in bits so that it makes it easier. Try like anything to avoid the mad Xmas shopping rush that is the last weekend before Xmas (like today). Pleased to say that its all done so now just have wrapping to do.

14. Re-gifting - I don't think so, at least I can't remember ever re-gifting a present. I sometimes buy something for someone and think 'oh that's nice' and get it for myself too. I also 'pinch ideas' in that if I get a really nice gift I think oh so and so would like that and buy them something very similar the following year.

15. Mince pies and sausage rolls - I always make my own - yum,yum

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:02 am

I really want to spend at tlease one Christmas in England! :)

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:15. Mince pies and sausage rolls - I always make my own - yum,yum

Jela

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:52 am

Day 16 Question:

16. Tree Lights: Clear or Coloured [sic]?

My answer: Clear - like icicles [watch him through the icicles with this wood box beneath my feet]

I really want to spend at tlease one Christmas in England! :)

KarenZ

Karen: I hope you get the chance. I did! 1997! Spent about 15 months in Norfolk. Lived in a town called Gorelston, worked for Essex & Suffolk Water Company in a really small village called Lound in Suffolk, when I was told where I would be going the Brit told me I was going to 'Hicksville', it was a lovely area and I enjoyed myself immensely. It was a chance of a lifetime. Met a lot of great friends there too. Maybe someday I'll return... I would have loved to see Lessons with Carols at Kings College in Cambridge at Christmas time. Sometimes they show it on PBS. In my weak attempt to sing in a church choir before going to the UK, our choir director organized Lessons with Carols and it was a lot of fun.
db

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Well, the tree we've have now is an artificial tree that came out the box -- pre-lit -- with clear lights. As a kid growing up we always had colored lights on the tree and I'm sure we lobbied hard for them over clear lights. Now I see the beauty in both, although I must say clear illuminates the decorations in a way that I've grown to appreciate.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:49 pm

I must admit that I prefer the clear lights and have for the past several years had a pre-lit tree with clear lights. Makes putting up the tree much easier. :)

Dean, thanks for telling us about your time in England! What a great opportunity that was. Last year Wendy turned me onto the Kings College Nine Lessons....it's usually broadcast on a local public radio station on Christmas Eve so check the schedules of your local stations.

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:16 am

Day 17 Question:

17. Favorite Christmas song?

My answer:
Traditional - Carol of the Bell
Contemporary - LWG (the EP version)

Return to “Say Something”