Don Conoscenti

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Don Conoscenti

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:47 pm

Don Conoscenti competed July 6th at The Note in Chicago against 7 other contenders from around the country to be the Emergenza Festival U.S. Acoustic Hero. Don won the contest and apparently will head off to Germany the second weekend of August to perform at the Taubertal Open Air Festival in Rothenburg. Check out this link:

http://www.acoustichero.com/

and this one:

http://www.taubertal-openair.de/ISY/index.php

(useful only if you speak German)

Well done Don. Congratulations.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:50 pm

Woo hoo Don Con ! That's outstanding and very well-deserved !
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:53 pm

I neglected to include in my reports of this past weekend of shows that Ellis made sure the audience knew that they were in the presence of America's Acoustic Hero. :) Congratulations DonCon!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:57 pm

Look! The U.S. Acoustic Folk Hero:

"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:12 pm

First, congrats Don! WOW!!!!

Second, here is the English version of the afore-mentioned Taubertal festival: http://www.taubertal-openair.de/ISY/index.php?PHPSESSID=b6acc432b0e82674e761a1d7d5d92596&call=2006home_en

Third, anyone that gets the chance to see DonCon perform there should - not only will they be witnessing America's Acoustic Hero, but Rothenburg aub der Tauber is GORGEOUS! I was lucky enough to visit it, a beautiful medieval walled city with kickin' beer & dumplings, a few years back. How I wish I could be there!

~Lauren

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:31 pm

I sure hope Don leaves his "Don't Hassle The Hoff" t-shirt at home. :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:24 am

Because I wouldn't want to break the gestalt of the REAL troublemakers on the board....

Bonnie, perhaps this would be better than that T-shirt you mentioned?

Sue Ellen

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:12 am

Congrats to AHA!!....Don's new title given by Ellis this past weekend. ;)

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:30 am

Sue Ellen - YOU are the real troublemaker.....
Jeff

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:40 am

Am not!!

I'm just trying to fit in and I didn't want to interupt the gestalt.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:58 am

That's my favorite Don Con photo. Even though contrary to what he told me, he is wearing pants. :lol:

How did this whole troublemaker idea come up anyway? :P

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:01 pm

I guess it's pretty easy to see why my daughter refers to him as "Yoga Man." :lol:

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:29 pm

How did we get through an entire weekend of shows with Don and still have this thread at the very bottom of the page? :(

He and Ellis just play off of each other so well. The way they gaze into each other's eyes while singing
The taste of love is sweet
when hearts like our's meet

is just priceless. :lol:

I just ordered another one of his CDs. Now if only we could convince him to tour around here........ :)

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat May 12, 2007 5:45 pm

The Susquehanna Music & Arts Festival is being held this weekend in Harford County Maryland, set at the rustic Ramblewood Resort. I had the pleasure of listening to Don Conoscenti's set Friday night. It was really great. He was accompanied by Dana Keller playing a steel something. His voice was harmonized by Tom Kimmel and Sonia on "Crazy Love," and Chris Chandler added his poety on "Paradox of Grace."

Set List:

Georgia on My Mind
Drink Another Round
All in Time
Pretty Boy Floyd
Crazy Love
Paradox of Grace.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon May 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks for the review. I don't suppose you took the opportunity to grab him and mail him up to us for a Boston show? Yeah, I didn't think so. :(

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu May 17, 2007 4:34 pm

I'm a p*** poor photographer, but here are some photos from the Susquehannah Music and Arts Festival:

SMAF PHOTOS

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu May 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Thanks Sue Ellen. He seems to be missing something. Oh, I know, he's missing an Ellis! :P

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks Sue Ellen! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 am

Thanks Sue Ellen - nice to see Don doing his 'stuff' and from your earlier report I see he sang 'Crazy Love' which for me, brings back memories of the New Year shows at Passims.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Doesn't Don sometimes join Ellis at Jammin Java? :P

(hint hint)

danaj

Postby danaj » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:21 pm

Okay, since it's neeeeeeeearly WoodyFest time, I think it's the perfect time to post in the ole' DonCon thread. :)

If you happen to still be hangin' round Oklahoma on the Sunday the fest ends, come on down to Norman, find this really cool place called The Chouse on Boyd and come in and say "Howdy!" to Miss Mary Katherine and her doggy friends... Oh, and enjoy the Annual Post-WoodyFest DonConcert. 8)

$12 cover, $10 if you bring a bottle of bleach and a roll of paper towels for the cool no-kill animal shelter Second Chance, run by the lovely Miss MK.

See y'all there! :D
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:01 pm

Oh, I just wanted to post up a bit about the Post WoodyFest DonConcert at the Chouse... Brought to you by Sleep Deprivation. (As it quickly came to be called.) I was only able to make it thru the first set, as by 11:00 p.m. my buddy Greg was ready to hit his borrowed bed and get some rest before his flight out on Monday. But, the first set was absolutely great.

Don was joined by an equally tired out Terry "Buffalo" Ware, Dan Duggin on accordian, and Dean Brown with various percussion instruments. Everyone was a little loopy due to aforementioned sleep deprivation (including many members of the audience!) and silliness and goofy comments abounded. It was awesome. John Redcorn came also, and did the reading about Pretty Boy Floyd's lady before Don did the Ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd, just like at WoodyFest. I particularly like that one. It's always so cool when Don brings guests... But the highlight of the night was courtesy of drummer extraordinaire Dean Brown. He had been absent for the first few songs after setting up the sound equipment. Don was looking around for him, because he wanted to do "The Other Side" and Dean does this really cool bit with windchimes that sounds totally otherworldly... Well, Dean was nowhere to be found, so Don and Terry started in. At just the perfect spot, suddenly from the stairs came the sound of those ethereal windchimes... Everyone looked around... and then Dean came out from behind the stairs where he had sneaked in and had been observing the guys play... He then joined everyone else and they finished up possibly one of the most beautiful renditions of this song I've heard since Don and Ellis did it at Ms. Mary Jo's request at the 9th annual Woody Fest. In talking to MaryKatherine (who host-ess-es :lol: the concert each year) later, she said "I heard those chimes and thought, That had BETTER be Dean Brown walking in my back door! Otherwise..." Yeah, the timing couldn't have been better... It raised chills on everyone's arms! :)

And that's the highlight for me, folks. I was, truthfully, so darn tired I didn't even attempt to keep a list of what he did. I just know it was simply wonderful.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:21 pm

Dana,

BeckyG, DannaP and I had to return the two WoodyFest rental vehicles (used for airport runs)....plus we remembered how tough it was (from last year) to stay awake in the non-air conditioned Chouse.....so we opted out because of the aforementioned sleep deprivation and my having a 7:30am flight home.... but thanks for the report! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Re: Don Conoscenti

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Vacation, anyone? :P

Take a hike! :lol:

Nice youtube video of hikers in Colorado

music by Don Conoscenti (and ellis paul on bgvox)

Adventure Bus Colorado Peaks and Canyons Tour
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

LateLee

Postby LateLee » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:23 am

Hi, All,

Just spreading the word that Don Conoscenti had a bad fall recently. He had to be airlifted to a regional hospital and have his femur reconstructed. Because he is uninsured the bills from this unfortunate accident are going to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. It looks like Ellis and others are stepping in to help and in addition to a few benefit concerts in the works, donations are also being accepted. If you're able to help in any way I'm sure it would be much appreciated!

This from http://www.doncon.com:

Gravity 2... DonCon 0
Had a little medical emergency and all things are very good considering. Ellis Paul caught wind of what was happening and tracked me down in a Denver hospital room and started putting the word out. I've been getting so many sweet messages from everyone around the country and across the pond and was finally able to get to a real keyboard to type this out. I shattered my left femur Tuesday evening (3-24-09) during a routine road bicycle ride. I was turning around to head home and the rear wheel slid out from under me in some gravel. It's embarrassing how slow I was going…didn't even slide when I fell. Just stuck to the spot I fell in a pile of pain. My neighbor Roger said he could hear me hollering from six miles away back at the house. He's a very funny guy, but it's probably true. I ended up being airlifted from Taos to Denver where my femur got reconstructed with titanium straps and screws. I left Taos without clothes, shoes, wallet or cell phone so it was tough to respond or to get in touch with anyone. It's surreal to find yourself five plus hours away from home with nothing but a wool cap and a hospital gown on. Stephanie was allowed to tag along on the flight. At least she had clothes on…and a cell phone, but no charger. The surgery went great and the leg will heal completely. I had the care of some real orthopedic wizards at the Denver Health Medical Center. There were no restrictions so I can put as much load on the leg as my pain tolerance allows. They released me the day after the surgery with a pair of crutches. The toughest part was getting home to Taos under white out blizzard conditions with major road closings and no hotel rooms or rental cars available in Denver and I didn't have a phone, wallet or even glasses to look up friends in the Denver area so we had to make a run for it. My friend and drummer Patrick Turnmire drove up to get us and it ended up being a brutal slog home. Patrick and I play in a duo called "The Sagemonkeys". I had some clothes and shoes to wear thanks to Patrick's foresight. I'll be on crutches and moving slowly but I'll be able to perform all my scheduled dates...sitting down. Thanks for your support, prayers, emails, calls, concern, and offers to help with expenses. As you can imagine I am one of those millions of uninsured folks out there, but it'll all work out. I'm a grateful and blessed fellow. People have been asking how they can offer financial assistance and I'm truly humbled by that. My buddy Wayne Evanson went down and set up a non profit account at Centinel Bank here in Taos. Anyone wishing to send financial support for now can:

Make Checks Payable to: Don Conoscenti
Send to: Centinel Bank of Taos
Pob 818
Taos NM 87571

For PayPal folks just use this email: don@donconoscenti.com
(PayPal people will know what that means)

Please don't feel pressured. These are tough times for everyone. At the same time I don't want to stubbornly stand in the way of help when I clearly need it. The bills will be fairly massive and have start pouring in. The hospital expenses alone (without surgeons fees or any of the Taos stuff, ambulances or airlift charges) are starting at $36,000 and climbing. If anyone is onboard for President Obama's efforts to reform healthcare it'll be me! There'll be an all day benefit concert and silent auction here in Taos at the KTAO Solar Center on May 31st. a benefit concert at The Blue Door in Oklahoma City May 11th. Eddie's Attic will be doing something soon, but we don't have that hammered out yet. Should be fun bashes and I hope to attend them all if conditions allow. Look for details and updates in the "Shows" section of the site. By the way...I found the x rays oddly compelling and have posted them in the "Femur Gallery" in the "Photos" section of the site...in case you're as weird as I am. Peace on all of you and thanks for the blessing of your friendship and life/music camaraderie. DonCon

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 am

This week's quiz fromFolkWax Ezine, has a question that mentions Don Con!! Yeah... I knew I would at least get that question right!!

Just wondering how Don is coming along on the Road to Recovery??
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 14, 2009 9:25 am

Patti,

Don said Monday night at the Blue Door benefit that his hope was to be able to walk with the help of only one crutch by that night....and he achieved that goal. He sat on stage all night....and is walking slowly and carefully with aid of the crutch. I think he is pleased with his healing progress.

KarenZ

Patti wrote:Just wondering how Don is coming along on the Road to Recovery??

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Just to say that Don has been posting on his own website and reporting on progress see Don Con website for details.

Continued good wishes for a full recovery Don

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 pm

After WoodyFest we travelled to Norman, OK for Don's traditional post Woody show on Sunday evening at The Chouse. His was his 8th year in a row and is an established date on the calendar.

His band included Terry "Buffalo' Ware (guitar) Patrick Turmire (percussion) Butch Morgan (guitar) and Cindy Novello (fiddle). They were just awesome. Got to hear favourites 'The Other Side' 'Beautuful Valley' as well as Cohen's 'Hallelujah'.

For the finale Butch Morgan sang a song of his own (I'm not familiar with his work) which then segued into The Who's 'My Generation' and The Beatles - it was just amazing! They had only met Butch at WoodyFest and played together as if they'd been playing forever. Such talented guys.

After the interval, Tony Lee Thomas who had played at WoodyFest had shown up and Don got him to sing one of his own songs, accompaned by two friends who travelled with him one of which was Krishna Guthrie, Arlo's grandson. On a borrowed acoustic guitar TLT sang a song he'd written about working at a bar - his voice is to die for. At the 'Hoot' at WoodyFest he sang "Ain't No Sunshine' dedicating it to Dee and Sharon Jones; sadly Sharon one of the people responsible for getting WFest off the ground, passed away a few weeks before this year's fest.

The Chouse is a church which is now a house owned by photographer Tom Lee and his wife Mary Kate - it's a wonderful setting for a house concert. I can see that we are going to have to make that an annual trip too...... we had to leave early last year as we had an early flight but this year we made sure that we could stay for it all as we stayed two nights in Norman and are so glad we did!

Just so much good music all around.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:17 pm

doncon has a new cd!! it seems as though it could use a little bit of grass roots lovin'. please make sure to spread the word. oh, yes, and buy one or two. or three. :mrgreen: that new titanium leg wasn't cheap. :P
http://tinyurl.com/mpehub

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:43 am

I ordered this CD just the other night when Bonnie provided the link.. I GOT it yesterday.. that is some fast service Mr. Don Con...

Oh, the CD rocks....packaging is great.. and they did it all in 2 1/2 weeks... :mrgreen:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:18 pm

I just got mine!! I ordered one, then the next day decided to get a second one as a gift. They go out so fast that I missed getting that second one into the same envelope. If he gets bored with this whole music thing, Don might have a future in shipping. :D

I've only listened all the way through once, but I love the version of Mona Lisa. There is a reworking of Hour In Texarkana that is, dare I say, quite poppy. I love the music on it. As I mentioned in the other thread he does Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah too. Yeah!!

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Same here Bonnie.. I bought 3 new CD's last week, and I am trying, like the good mother I am, not to play favorites with any of them...Everyone gets a turn....

I bought 3 CD's last week, and could have bought a bunch more, that is the real danger lurking on the internet!!...With just a click of the mouse.. :wink:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Well our copy of Don Con's new CD should be making its way across the Atlantic right now so can't wait to listen to it.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:52 pm

I just ordered two. Thanks gals for reminding me that I have been remiss.....

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Well if I'd had a spare minute over the last few weeks, and stopped by take a peek, I might have anticipated getting this new cd in the mail. Merci Beaucoup, Madame Zundel.

I love it, although I seem stuck on "Hallelujah." I've had the privilege and pleasure of hearing this live a couple or three times, and am tickled pink to be able to play it over and over and over and over and over again in the car.

I am so happy to have new Don Conoscenti sounds coming out of the speakers!

Sue Ellen

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:45 am

I know exactly what you mean about Don's version of Hallelujah, first heard him do it live at WoodyFest 2008 and it was just a 'stopped me in my tracks' kind of song - just stunning. So like you, I am so pleased that he put it on the new CD.

New CD is a great job all round. Incredible that it was all done in such a short space of time.

Jela

kimmiko

Don Conoscenti in Chicago

Postby kimmiko » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Don Conoscenti is going to be in the Chicago area in April backing up Ellis Paul. While Don is in town he is also performing solo at This Old Houseconcert in Berwyn, IL on the 18th. Check out his site for more info!

http://www.donconoscenti.com/index.php?page=calendar

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:54 am

Here's a song so good it's coming atcha twice! It's from a house concert in Berwyn Illinois and features one of my all time favorite songs from the Ellis Paul produced 'Paradox of Grace' CD that we picked up on our honeymoon in Big Sur California at Henry Miller's Library. We stopped in after seeing that the place was on Ellis Paul's postcard tour dates. Geez, I'm dating myself again!! Anyway, loved this CD up and down the coast of California and every other time I've dusted it off for another round.

It's two for one, folks... :D

This one's up close and personal...
Drink Another Round

This one's from a few rows back....
Drink Another Round

Lovin Rad Ellis and Bongoman extraordianaire Ian here! 8)

If you don't have this record yet....

Don Conoscenti's Paradox of Grace
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:46 am

This just in! :)

Don Conoscenti House Concert
Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 7pm
Columbia, MD
For more information please contact Sue Ellen at torunfar@comcast.net

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 am

Wow! - Wish I could be there. Have a great time Sue Ellen.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri May 14, 2010 10:17 pm

FYI

Just wanted to let y'all know that Don will be appearing at a house concert on JULY 8th in Massachusetts..

For more info. contact Patti daltydew@aol.com

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon May 17, 2010 2:58 am

I look forward to reports, photos and videos!!! I just know you'll have a great evening in the company of Mr Conoscenti!

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon May 17, 2010 11:36 am

i am really looking forward to this. for all of the times i have seen doncon, i have never seen/heard him perform his own music. well, that is not exactly true. one new years don,ellis,chris and flynn did a verse of drink another round, but i don't think that really counts. :mrgreen:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 am

Bonnie - you are in for a real treat. He is a wonderful singer/songwriter/musician in his own right and he too does a very heart-wrenching version of Cohen's 'Hallelujah'

Last year we stayed on an extra day after WoodyFest just so that we could see him in Norman OK (he does a regular Sunday post WoodyFest show at The Chouse) and plan to do the same this year.

I think my favourite Don Con song is 'The Other Side'

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon May 17, 2010 1:25 pm

jela,

i have most of his cd's and love them all, i just haven't been fortunate enough to hear the songs live.

my 2 favorites are hour in texarkana and drink another round.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon May 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Ahh.. yes Don's show will be fabulous. Talked to Ellis about this the other night too.. ! I mentioned I had "that special" 3 song CD Don and Ellis put out, only 50 copies.. it has The Other Side, She is the Language and All In Time.. great songs.. (she is the language = beautiful.

I love most everything off Mysterious Light and Paradox of Grace..

It's going to be great..

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:28 am

Folks,

Don was a recent guest on radio show Art of the Song (which airs weekly on WUMB and many other radio stations around the country). Don's performance aired the week of May 10, 2010 but I just found out about it today. Thankfully, you can listen to the 1-hour program online anytime at the link below:

Art of the Song - Don Conoscenti

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:02 am

Perfect respite from the feels like Monday but it's not blues... :wink:

Starts off with my favorite DonCon song, too!!! 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Wow....what a terrific interview. I didn't know that much about Don's music history, so it was really interesting hearing about it.

The third segment of this show - the Song Analyst segment which starts about 46 minutes in - the host, Michael Shorr, talks about antonyms and their use in songwriting, specifically using as an example the EP song "All Things Being the Same". Good stuff! :)

EP's Art of the Song performance airs this week on radio stations around the country although it's not on the AOTS website yet. As soon as it is, I'll post the link here on the board.

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”