Bruce Springsteen

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:17 pm

annieb wrote:Monica,

Have a great time!!! I wish I was going to another show.

I didn't quite have my fill!!

Annie

Hey Annie...2 more chances close by, then you'll need a passport. :P

Charlottesville, Va. (wonder if we know anyone that's goin?)
Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
Then, they're crossin the pond.

upcoming tour dates:

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/live/index.html

Will a Bruce Springsteen impersonator do? :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFLHk_BU8Ds

:lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey Annie...2 more chances close by, then you'll need a passport. :P

Charlottesville, Va. (wonder if we know anyone that's goin?)

I was thinking the same thing..... :)

Wish I could do one more show!

Hey Jela, I have friends going to the London show. Can't wait to hear your reviews!!

Enjoy!! :

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Recall thinkin the last time we saw the band....hard to take your eyes off of Bruce...ya look away to see all other players doin their thing...but NOT FOR LONG....eyes right back to the Boss. Amazing ain't it? All those other stars onstage with him and we glance at them now and again. I remember lookin over at Danny Federci at the dress rehearsal concert and thinkin, poor guy, who notices him? He has to compete with so many other characters up there between Miami Steve and Mighty Max And Clarence "Big Man" Clemmons and Professor Roy Bittain and then Suzy and Patti and omg I hardly ever looked at Danny....til now. Whew, the tribute Bruce laid out in his eulogy of Danny. It's up now on his website, and I recently learned how he came to be known as Phantom Dan..... 8)

I know....it's only Rock and Roll.....and I like it. :wink:
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:16 am

I'll tell you who I couldn't take my eyes off of....Niels Lofgren. My Lord he can play a mean guitar! I was absolutely mesmerized by him! :)
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:07 pm

No doubt about it -- Nils Lofgren rocks!!! 8) I have all Springsteen's concert DVDs and there's one solo in particular that floors me every time.

The other thing I have trouble with is deciding whether to watch Bruce directly or the huge images of him up on the big screens over the stage. I mean they look cool and all....but it sometime's feels like I'm missing out if I watch.

Come to think of it, seeing this show is akin to tryin to watch a circus with all 3 rings goin at once and so much goin on inside each. It's just the best. :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat May 31, 2008 8:17 am

Saw Bruce last night in London - a very energetic show lasting about 2hrs 50mins. He always looks as if he's really enjoying himself and really does give his all. He hardly pauses between songs and often one rolls straight into the next.

He's the only person we go to see in big stadiums (last night's capacity was 48,000 altho' it was pretty full, it wasn't a sell out; he's doing a show there tonight as well) Typical of a large stadium the sound system is never as good as you'd hope it to be but that's life! During the quieter songs, people just talked through them which was a bit disappointing.

The show started at 7.45pm in the daylight and as the evening darkness came upon us it added even more atmosphere. He played 28 songs including a couple from 'Nebraska' - Atlantic City and Reason to Believe so it was great to hear him do songs from that particular album as its a firm favourite.

I just have to mention the 'Big Man' - Clarence's outfit, a long floor length black coat with gold panels in the back, gold buttons, gold braiding, gold lapels......he looked so majestic, especially too with his long dreadlocks.......and he sounded just wonderful - everytime he was the main feature he got a raucous round of applause.

Springsteen is a long time hero and we nearly always manage to get tickets when he plays the UK, they usually sell out so fast that I've often sat with two phones and the Internet going at the same time in an attempt to book tickets- luckily it usually works.

Our first ever Bruce concert was 4th July 1985 - Independence Day, in London and I remember it very well - we all stood on our seats as soon as the show started and remained standing on our seats throughout.

He always puts on a great show, you just know that he's going to be on stage for a good while - last night he was just amazing!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat May 31, 2008 8:37 am

Jela,

You and Richard rock. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 31, 2008 11:03 am

Richard + Jela wrote:
Our first ever Bruce concert was 4th July 1985 - Independence Day, in London and I remember it very well - we all stood on our seats as soon as the show started and remained standing on our seats throughout.

Jela

Ahhh..the 1985 Born in the Usa tour.....those were the days! :)

glory days...glory days...glory days.

Thanks for the report, Jela...... 8)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sat May 31, 2008 3:57 pm

OMG! Jela!!

They are saying the first London show is the longest show of the tour!!!

Lucky!!! :)

Check out the Backstreets for some excellent pics...

http://backstreets.com/news.html

So glad you and Richard had fun!! Can't believe he opened with Tenth Ave Freeze Out!! Wow! Love Clarence's duds!! Cool!!

Thanks for the review! :)

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:29 am

Hey all you fans of The Boss,

WYEP (Pittsburgh) is celebrating a special Boss' Day tomorrow June 2 between 7am EST and 5pm EST - marking the 30th anniversary of The Boss' release Darkness on the Edge of Town. The tribute will end at 5pm with a special Discumentary on the making of the album. Details below:

Boss' Day on WYEP

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 am

Cool Karen! Thanks!! :)

Annie

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:26 pm

I see the cops finally busted Madam Marie, for telling fortunes better than they do.

Madam Marie passed away friday at the age of 93.

Her great granddaughter will carry on the tradition of readings on the boardwalk.

Rest in Peace Madam Marie. The boardwalk will not be the same. :(

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Freaky.....that line is from the 4th of July song.... :shock:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Even wilder...Sandy (4th of July, Asbury Park) is Danny Federicci's swan song.
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Wow! You guys just blew my mind!!

Hadn't made either of those connections!!

:shock: Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:10 pm

one of my favorite James Taylor releases includes the song......

That's Why I'm Here

:wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 am

Folks,

See link below:

The Boss remembers Madame Marie

KarenZ

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks Karen!

I hadn't seen that.

The comments following the story are sure interesting... :roll:

Annie :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Annie

I'm to the point now that I expect comments posted to go negative after almost every story I read online. I start to read a few sincere words about the topic then the other stuff. I stop as soon as I see that stuff.

:roll: is right!!

Thanks indeed, Karen.

:wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:22 pm

I hadn't noticed the comments! :oops:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Just learned Springsteen tour has been cancelled due to pending surgeries for Clarence Clemons and Nils Lofgren. Tour to resume in 2009.
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Oh jeez!! I hadn't heard that! :(

I wish them a speedy recovery!!

Thanks for the update Paddy!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:12 pm

These guys are hip...........surgery candidates, turns out. Whew! 8)
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 am

Where did you hear this news, Paddy?

I can't seem to find anything about it so far this a.m.

Thanks for the help. I'm sad!!!!!!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:27 am

monicar....

heard the news on another music forum and believed it but i am with you as i can't find official word of it anywhere on the net. :oops:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:19 am

My husband has 2 tickets to a show in August, if you guys find anything out let me know.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:23 am

Me too, Patti.

I have searched high and low and haven't found anything about any cancellations. Gillette is still showing ticket availability as well.

Will certainly let you know if I find anything.

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:47 am

What i can say is the source is a huge Springsteen fan. Looking around last night leads me to believe that it might be inside info or rumors that will ultimately prove to be true. I did see idle chatter about the fall leg of the tour so maybe that's it. Plus, Clarence Clemmons had double hip replacement surgery a few years ago which explains his lack of energy onstage and need to sit down in between his moments in the spotlight. Could be it's time for another?

So I think it's safe to say the tickets in hand for the remainder of the summer tour are for shows that will happen....for sure! :D
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 am

I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed!

Keep us posted, Paddy, if you hear anything else.

Monica R.

Patti

Re: Bruce Springsteen

Postby Patti » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:15 am

Just saw on the news that Bruce Springsteen is playing the half time show today. The commentator reported that Bruce is going to put all the energy he puts into his 3 hour show into the 12 minute Super Bowl show!! WOW I think I'll record that!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:05 pm

There's been a lot of hype about it and it should be great. That's all I care about watching ........ and the commercials of course!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:22 pm

GAWD, that was FUN! :D I could not keep the grin off my face during the last song "Glory Days". But then....the Steelers are ahead 10 so that helps too. :D

Gotta go!

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Congratulations Karen and all you Pittsburgh folk - a very exciting game.
Jeff

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:00 am

That was a great half-time show...and no wardrobe malfunctions! Speaking of wardrobes, how 'bout King Clarence's duds? He was spiffin' tonight! Congrats on the victory Karen et al!
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:51 am

What a game!!! Congrats Karen and the city of Pittsburgh!!! :D

Bruce and the E Street Band managed to play 4 songs in the 12 minute set. There had been much anticipation leading up to Super Bowl Sunday with Vegas even in on the action...... :shock:

What would the Boss play? Here's the setlist for any who missed it......

Tenth Avenue Freezeout
Born To Run
Working on a Dream
Glory Days

Bruce pulled it off....BIG TIME!!!! 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:10 am

Wow everybody....thanks for all the congrats. What a game is right! :D :shock:

There's actually school delays this morning due to all the post-game revelry! :o

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Folks,

Heard the 8-minute lead-off song from The Boss' new release this morning - a song called "Outlaw Pete". A great story song.

Outlaw Pete on YouTube

At YouTube I discovered that there's a big controversy about the song with some folks saying Springsteen ripped off Kiss' "I was made for loving you". Watch the 90-second video linked below and decide! :)

Springsteen/Kiss overlay

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:05 pm

Perhaps long time Springsteen producer Brendan O'Brien is a long time KISS fan??? :lol:

At Puck in Doylestown, Pa. last Saturday night, Flynn told the crowd Ellis was a major AC/DC fan and how they often rent convertibles on roadtrips and can't ya just picture Ellis, top down, hair flowing, head bobbing to AC/DC cranked LOUD......I said No Way!!! Flynn assured: WAY!!! :lol:

He added that Ellis was a rocker at heart!!! 8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:43 pm

..........or even a dirty rocker

When Ellis came over to the UK in 2006 someone at a radio station where he was doing an interview referred to him as 'a dirty rocker'......I think he was quite pleased with the description :P

Back on track - there are definitely similarities between the two songs and it's interesting to note the comments being made about it.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Okay.....we can stay on point......but first!!! :P

Surely they heard Ellis and Flynn as Cannondrop doing No Sympathy before reaching that conclusion.....

or......................Calendar Man :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:26 am

From Backstreets:

And don't forget the new VH1 Rock Doc airing this week -- you've got two more chances to catch Bruce Springsteen: The Making of Working on a Dream, Friday at 12:30 p.m. and Saturday at 1:30 p.m. on VH1 Classic. Watch the promo clip below.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Bruce on the Super Bowl

Super Bowl Journal
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Well, it's high time Bruce paid homage to those that came after..... 8)

Hangin' Out on E Street
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:09 am

Here's the video for Bruce's new song in the Mickey Rourke film The Wrestler.

The Wrestler
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:53 am

Love, love this new song......still got to see the film though.

Springsteen just announced two festival dates in the UK this summer, one is already sold out and I think the other might be too.

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:58 pm

I don't think it's a great song, but it was by far better than any other up for an Oscar this year!!

It seems to me that Bruce was snubbed.... :cry:

Richard and Jela, The Wrestler is a bit depressing but the acting is really great!! It's worth seeing for that. And for me it's always a thrill to see the boardwalk that I grew up on, in film!! :D

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey Annie....happy to see ya back!!! :D

On the song.......I like it, too, and in fact am having trouble now remembering the song that won!

Have yet to see Milk or The Wrestler...but when Sean Penn won over Mickey Rourke something in me cried snub. :cry:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Hey Paddy,

I guess you would have to see both movies. IMHO I thought they were both awesome in their respective roles, but I have to say that Sean really embodied that role.

It was the first time in....well - maybe ever, that I saw a whole audience stand up and cheered at the end of the film. It was truly moving, and it stayed with me for a long time!!

So, I really don't think it was a snub, just a really really tough call. One that I'm glad I didn't have to make.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm sure you're right, Annie....and I'm sure I will agree that Sean was deserving. I guess watching Mickey Rourke on the Barbara Walters Special just befor the broadcast had me thinking he's just so strange so some voters passed in favor of Sean Penn.

Sean was hilarious in his acceptnace speech....calling the voters a bunch of "commie homophobes" more than once!!! :shock: I wish he had said something like he was happy he did not have to fight Mickey in the ring for the Oscar. I learned later that Sean forgot to thenk his wife, Robin Wright Penn, but they both made it clear it's okay.....there were serious time constraints up there.

On the video of Bruce in the ring in the Wrestler video.....wow....very moving as these two grow older and older!!! :shock:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:07 pm

paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”