Bruce Springsteen

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Bruce Springsteen

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Have you heard of this guy? :lol:

I've seen The Boss a number of times, but there was a time....

Circa 1973 and friends offered an extra ticket to a concert by some guy named Bruce Springsteen. It took me three trys to even get his name right.

"Springstein?", I asked. No, Springsteen.
"Springsten?", I asked a second time.
"Spell it!!!" I said in an effort to understand better.

"Oh...Springsteen, got it!" "Never heard of him!"
"Just come with us, he's great!!!" they said.

"Nah...what's he sing that I'd know?"
"Just come with us...you'll love him!"
"Nah, I'll pass, thanks" all full of my 14 year old self.

When "Born To Run" hit my car radio in 1975 I was kicking my own backside for weeks as I soaked up one of the best records I'd ever heard. Had the cassette playing in my lear jet (cassette deck, that is), and a lifetime memory of "the one that got away!!!" :roll:

I guess it was awhile before I'd see him LIVE....but I'll get to that. For some reason his follow up to Born to Run, maybe 3 years later, left me a little less impressed. For diehard fans, Darkness on the Edge of Town is one of their all time faves. It was too different??? Too LOUD, maybe?

Born In The USA.....I was Back....1985....newly single again and I was ready to Rock...and this record and tour...HOLY MOLEY..what a time!!!
Bet I saw him and the band 4 times on that tour.....WOW. Then came the Tunnel Of Love album and tour....WHEW, again!!! Back to back nights in Houston.....Pure Rock and Roll Heaven....guess it's no small wonder the place (The Summit) is now Lakewood Church with Pastor Joel Olsteen.

Fast forward several years and I want to impress my then girlfriend (now wife) by taking her to see Bruce Springsteeen in concert. Waited too long for tix and had Bob Euecker's seats....way, way up high in the back. Bruce was out doing it Ellis Paul style, ya know, solo acoustic....

In a few letters...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Now he was too quiet...too somber...."Ghost Of Tom Joad" tour. I assured my sweetheart he was much better with the band.....and I'd take her to see Bruce play with The E-Street Band, someday. Somehow the news of his new record "MAGIC" and pending tour with ticket presales for Philly and Jersey escaped me ....until it was too late. SOLD OUT of course, in a manner of minutes, usually, leaving only sheer luck or BIG BUCKS to get ourselves in the door for one of the stops on the tour.

Just a reminder BOSTON...tix go on sale THIS SATURDAY 9/22/07 for the Boston stop on the "Magic" Tour. Concert will be 11/18/07 at TDBankNorth Garden. And if you find yourself with an extra ticket, know that I NOW KNOW who this guy is and will gladly go with you, if asked. :lol:

Share any memories, stories, anecdotes, tickets..... :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:02 am

Paddy - you've hit raw nerve here! He's on in London in December - one date only at a 20,000 seater arena and guess what ? the tickets 'sold out' in a minute or two!!!!

I don't know anyone from my circle of concert goers that managed to get a ticket - seems like a stitch up with no tickets being available to the general public, the true fans. There's been quite a debate about 'corporate
hostility' sorry that should read hospitality and how all the tickets were in fact pre sold to corporates.

It will be the first time in 20+plus years that we won't see him on a UK tour. He's probably the only person I'd go to see in a large arena and I'll be sorry to miss out this time. We're all hoping that he'll come back in 2008 and do more dates - maybe that way, the genuine fans will get a chance to see him!

I have to disagree with you about the fave albums - mine are the 'quieter' ones and in particular 'Nebraska'. We saw 'Tom Joad' and 'Devils to Dust' tours when he played solo and they were just the best concerts. Also loved the Seeger Sessions tour which we saw twice.

Born in the USA - Wembley Stadium London 1985 on July 4th - you can just imagine the atmosphere on your Independence Day.......so many great memories of an artist that has always maintained his integrity, hasn't been afraid to try new things and yes of course he remains a hero!

Jela
Last edited by Richard + Jela on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:51 am

Jela......hope you have the chance to see Bruce in concert this go 'round or next. I know it's all just a little bit crazy. It's a little like scoring the Golden Ticket, isn't it? Bruce played Philly for 5 straight nights last time through, we had just moved here from the west coast, and we missed out completely. Guess that would have been Devils and Dust Tour. :?

I've been all over the map at various times in my life with Bruce's records. I felt liked I lived a part of his song "The River" and just ate up that double LP. I found his stark album Nebraska to be simply brilliant. I had it the week it came out and listened OCD the way I do stuff I like today.

At some point I dove into the early work....liked it too, just not as much as some of the others....Darkness...lots of great rockers....still not my favorite part of his live shows. The Ghost of Tom Joad disappointed me in a big way, for the simple reason that only 2 songs appealed to me. One was the excellent title track and the other being the rocker....YOUNGSTOWN. "Here in NE OHIO...." MAN, that song Rocks. I'm sure I could pull it out today and sit with it for a few spins and hear it in a new way...just back then, it was just okay.

I'm sure it was the anticipation and the poor sightlines (I think we even had an obstructed view (support column) in front of us at his SOLO ACOUSTIC show and he just wasn't the guy I brought my gal to see. He had his longer hair slicked back in a pony tail.....dressed in black....soft stage light, he was sitting most of the show.....softer, quieter, darker. This was her VERY FIRST impression of a Springsteen concert, and I felt bad for her, that's it in a nutshell, really...I'm certain others enjoyed the setting and the show, I'm not saying it was a bad show, I'm sure it was fine. I was a bit depressed afterwards, really. She assured me that she thought the show was good and she was impressed. So here we sit, ALL these years later, and she still has not seen him in person with the E Street Band. We do have all the DVDs out...NYC/ Barcelona/Odeon, so she's seen the band together onstage at least.

Devils and Dust....I have it....and just not sure really what's on it, save the excellent title track...oh, and a song about the things money can buy. I like the bonus material..but overall can't comment on it. I skipped the Seeger Sessions entirely...CD..Tour....the whole thing. I've heard nothing but GREAT THINGS about it all...just couldn't get into it at all.

I'm ready for "Magic" and all that implies. The single Radio Nowhere is out at Amazon.com in video form...sounds great!!! You can also pre -order it for at a 47 percent discount right now. The online fleamarket Craigslist is one source for finding tickets to the sold out shows. One guy in Pittsburgh advertised a pair, saying he unfortunately must travel on business that week and has a pair of tix he needs to sell. Floor no less, General Admission, which allows the chance at least to be standing up front. Not sure what face value is for the tickets, but he emailed me last night asking $400 for the pair. "Let me know" he said. I told my darling wife about it, and she says she won't stand for it...... :oops: ..... :cry:

Glory days, in the wink of a young man's eyes..... :wink:

I suppose another way fans can score tix is on his website and forum. There's two threads.....have tickets and need tickets. Folks post about extras they need to sell or exchange....as well as folks who post their desire to find tix for certain shows. I think they go for face value there.

Good luck all the way around, everyone..... :D

For crying out loud......my posts are almost as long as one of those marathon shows Bruce and the E Street Band are known for. Please do forgive me for going on and on and on...paddy style.... :wink:

NEED 2 ~ :)
paddy

herve

Postby herve » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:28 am

Bonjour,

My story with Bruce goes a long way back. It was in 1977 and I had read a couple articles about Born to Run in the French press, not too many actually. One day in a 2nd hand bin, I found a copy of Wild Innocent & E Street Shuffle for 5 francs, a dollar at the time. I was surprised by the first notes of the title track with the horns, as I was mainly listening to "classic" and hard rock, Neil Young, Dylan, etc. But Side B really floored me. Those three songs in one were just too much. I told my brother, who is a year older and would bring the new music home from friends, that I thought it was great, hoping he would agree! He never did (his two sons do, now!) but I think I became of age, musically, with Bruce's music and in a way, stopped listening to the LPs my brother would not want anymore!

Then, Bruce, along with Tom Waits, the Eagles, Tim Buckley, Elliott Murphy and the likes of Steve Forbert became my heroe, lated joined by Mellencamp and Petty. At the same time I fell in love with Emmylou, and the cover of Luxury Liner ;-) Funny because, I should have dug into that repertoire i would come to love two decades later, the Pancho & Leftys and Carter Family songs. But Bruce became my hero, no less. I bought Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town the same day as Patti Smith's Easter (oh Patti, another big love affair...) when they were released, The River and Nebraska. I remember sitting in a kitchen with my girlfriend's brother, thinking we could easily write such simple songs too! I Bruce stayed with me through Born in the UsA (not easy to be a fan of that "American Mister Muscle" in France at the time, though both 1985 shows were sold out).

Then I began to buy bootlegs and really I was pissing everybody off around me with Bruce!

I liked Tunnel of Love too (and still do), but then, I gently began to listen to other artists and in 1995, I discovered the Internet, and became NYC expat Elliott Murphy's "Paris Pal" for his US fan base. Murphy had been living in France for a while and was physically disconnected from his historical fans, so I became the link with them. And to make a long story short, that led me to Ellis and many others, by way of Bill Morrissey. Ron Mura, who has been managing Bill's page for ages now wrote that he thought Bill had covered an Elliott Murphy song. Ron was wrong, but he opened a huge world to me. I have always been a fan of US literature but then I could hear the music to it. Looking back, I'm really stupid, because in the late 70's, listening to Neil Young's Comes a Time and Four Strong Winds, to Woody Guthrie and Gram Parsons should have opened those wonderful doors.

Back to Bruce. The funny thing is that I really stopped listening to him, not with the useless Lucky Town/Better Days pair, but with the Tom Joad album, at the exact time I seriously switched to acoustic music! Like Paddy, I think this album has two good songs, the title track and Youngstown. I have never listened to his new records since, no Diesel & Dust, no The Rising, no Live in NYC, no Seeger Sessions and I'm sure no Magic.

I saw him for the first time in 1981 and you can't imagine he's ever gonna be as good again! Even the 1985, 1986 and Amnesty International shows in 1988 were not as powerful. Don't mention the 1993 shows with the "other band"! Some friends will attend his gig in December but honest, 90 euros is quite a lot, isn't it? I'll try to get tix for my nephew, to keep the fire burning!

As a conclusion to this looong ramble, I would just say Bruce's songs have helped me go through many situations, mainly with respect to my family and my brother. I aint no policeman but I used to sing Highway patrolman in my head while driving to see my brother at my parents' house twenty years ago. I also know Bruce has played a major role in my musical education, turning me to other soul and rock artists, but today his music does not do it for me. :)

You know what Guy Clark said one day he was stuck with a song he could not finish? "OK, let's see, what would Bruce Springsteen do now!"

Favorite album: Side B of Wild Innocent... "walk tall, or baby don't walk at all"

Favorite songs: Thunder Road, live version of The River.

Favorite bootleg: Passaic '78, with epic renditions of Prove it all night, Racing in the Streets and Rosalita

Favorite songs to play on the guitar: Atlantic City, One Step Up

Back to work!

Have a great week end,

Hervé
www.acousticinparis.com

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:22 am

Your full service forum member at your service. :wink:
Here's a link to "MAGIC" at Amazon for big savings on the record.
And......video to "Radio Nowhere" from the new record. 8)

If you're so inclined...there's also a link to Patti Scialfa's new record. Never a fan of hers really, but the link at amazon will get you a sneak peak of her video which includes Bruce...

Looking For Elvis......nice video and song....

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bruce-Springsteen/dp/B000V8I2QU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4940896-0843968?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190377089&sr=8-1

Also...here's an in depth look at what to expect from MAGIC.....

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-review/forum/Fx1P84E1RJ9UOF7/Tx1BO3Z56B1QITW/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tft_tp/104-4940896-0843968?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music&cdAnchor=B000V8I2QU&asin=B000V8I2QU&store=music
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:06 am

In observance of YOM KIPPUR....

Ticket sales for Bruce Springsteen at TDNorth Garden in Boston have been pushed up to this coming Monday at 10 am. Second show added, too!!!

Shows are now back to back nights.

Sunday -- 11/18/07
Monday -- 11/19/07
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:28 pm

Jeez...I missed my chance at Cleveland, Philly, and now Boston. Just bet they're gone by now....anyone score tix to Boston?

Bruce and The ESB have rehearsal shows tonight and tomorrow night in some small place in Asbury Park, NJ. (That town rings a bell... 8) )

Tix...likely not available now...were $100 -- face value. Oh how I'd love to hop in the car and see what happens..... :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:27 am

**BUMP**

Maybe the best chance to see the band at face value if you have been wanting to see them and been shut out at ticket sales.....also, keep an eye on morning television this Friday...E Street Band!!!

Later that night...added rehearsal concert in East Rutherford NJ....

Here's the time sensitive information...you have 1 hr and 35 min from this post to try the phone lines for tickets...here's the official word:

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND REHEARSAL CONCERT SEPT. 28 AT CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA
Tickets On Sale Tuesday, Sept. 25 at Noon

A Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band rehearsal concert will be held this Friday, Sept. 28 at Continental Airlines Arena in preparation for the band's world tour that begins Oct. 2 in Hartford.

Tickets, priced at $100, go on sale at noon tomorrow, Sept. 25 through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone only (201-507-8900, 212-307-7171, 866-448-7849). Tickets will not be sold online at Ticketmaster.com, Ticketmaster outlets or at the Continental Arena Box Office. There is a two ticket limit.

A limited number of general admission and reserved tickets will be sold. Tickets must be picked up the night of the concert at the Arena Box Office will call. The credit card used to purchase the tickets and a photo ID will be required. No cameras, recorders or laser pointers allowed.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:37 am

.....Tivo Alert.....

Bruce and the Band on the Today Show (NBC..Matt Lauer) this morning. The show airs for 4 hours: 7am -11am...which hopefully means we'll see a bunch of songs performed. The Band is also slated to be on the program the following day (Saturday Morning).

ps...I scored 2 tix for the rehearsal show in E. Rutherford NJ...TONIGHT!!!
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:27 pm

The clips from the Today show are here:

Bruce on Today

Paddy - where's the report???? You lucky dawg!

Jela

herve

Postby herve » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:05 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:The clips from the Today show are here:

Jela

I watched it and did not like it... I just I can't take it no more! That new song Living in the Future is just a remake of 10th av freeze-out... I think Bruce just can't write real good songs anymore, I mean real good songs...

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:44 pm

Herve....as Lyle Lovett would say.. "I think I know what you really mean."

Some of the new songs are just okay in concert, But I'll reserve final judgement til my copy of Magic arrives and I can sit with them awile. It's widely known (or is it?) that Bruce is bound by contract to put out a set amount of records in a certain amount of time. Enter The Rising, Devils and Dust, Seeger Seesions, and now Magic. Has some of the magic disappeared? Well, sure it has. If you try and compare his output today to the classics he's created in years past, well, you will likely feel exactly the way you do today. It is not the same, is it? I feel that way, too. I'll give him the benefit, and realize that he has something of a formula for creating new records that will hopefully give bandmates places to shine in concert, and I think that's what he was aiming for with more than a few of these songs.

Do I dare say seeing Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band last night in their final rehearsal, a 2hr10min concert in front of less than 4,000 appreciative fans -- felt like watching a nostalgia act -- well, it did. I'm sure the long day's journey into night had something to do with it -- they were up very early the day before to perform on the TODAY SHOW -- and I hear they actually played near a full concert by virtue of the warm up numbers they played for the crowd before the show came on the air.

So I'll give them all the credit in the world for walking onstage to rip through songs old and new for one last "practice run" in a hall that usually holds maybe 20,000 folks with only one fifth that number there. And let's face it, these guys have gotten older....much older. But it's still one of the best live concerts around. I told my wife last night on the way home that if there were 100 dates on the tour that I'd love to drop in randomly every 10 or 15 shows and see how it's picking up speed from the show we saw last night. My wife admitted, even though it was her very first time to see the E Street Band Live, that it was a little less exciting with a smaller crowd opposed to what these shows ususally draw. I can say today that you could compare it to watching your favorite sports team in Spring Training or Pre-Season. It's the same players, just different.

I still think they rocked it plenty, although on too little sleep, many of them at times seemed to be going through the motion (except for Bruce and drummer Mighty Max Weinberg)...but then again, it was a rehearsal. I'll post a little more on the show later.....for now though I'll simply close by saying, the magic is still there and there's no denying it. And the new hit single (Radio Nowhere) works for me. On record, on tv, and most especially, on a concert stage just outside New York City, last night.

IS THERE ANYBODY ALIVE OUT THERE?

I LOVE IT!!!
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:55 am

Wow Paddy - sounds like a great experience and thanks for posting your report. The CD 'Magic' got a rave review in the Sunday Times over here with the interviewer suggesting that it was Springsteen's best album for 25 years, since 'The River' and 'Nebraska' which are my definite favourites.

Will be interesting to see what 'Magic' does - from the clips I've heard so far it seems very much like an E-Street band album - geared toward big stadium performances. I'm hoping that he tours over here next year so that I can get to see him live as the December London date tickets have proved to be so elusive.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:51 am

Folks,

Magic is released today. Amazon now has a video of "Radio Nowhere" and "Long Walk Home" which I am linking below.

Bruce Springsteen: "Radio Nowhere" and "Long Walk Home"

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:39 am

I ordered "MAGIC" through Amazon...love that site for music purchases, as well as countless others. They alerted me the day it shipped..OCT. 1st and then it arrived on OCT.2 which happened to be the release date. Not sure how they managed that..... :shock:

Have listened through 1 time fully and half listened once. There are some good tunes for sure, and I'll say that it's nice to hear the band back at it after too long away. Overall though....hmmmmn. :wink:

The other thing I'll add here and now is my issue with The Boss and his unspoken policy of NO OPENING ACTS at his concerts. Now, I can understand all the likely reasons for not having openers, at least I could when he used to put on MARATHON length shows. I've seen shows that were pushing 3h45min.... :shock:

The Magic Tour shows will be considerably shorter, and I understand, really I do. The problem I have is that Bruce is in a position to throw a bone to an up and comer...(he was there once) and could easily have someone do an opening set of 45 minutes or so.....

Rant over.... :roll:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:17 am

Springsteen busking in Copenhagen a long, long, time ago.....

The River

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQV7agBFtE
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:07 pm

Paddy, thanks for posting this clip - what chance nowadays of Bruce doing that ???? Not much I'm sure.

It was great to watch it, wonder who the guitarist accompanying him is?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:14 pm

The 64, 000 dollar question...... :lol:

I was wondering that very thing...who is that guy playing with Bruce?

I once looked a bit like that guy...when I wore my hair long in days gone by.

Yea...that's the ticket....it was me.... :lol:

Nah...I'd love to find out who might know that one. I'll get back to you if I ever find out. Surely there's a diehard fan out on Bruce's fan's site with the answer.

The guy is really into it, isn't he? :D

What's funny is if you listen to the clip to the very end...you will hear someone holler "Born To Run." 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Is there anybody alive out there? :lol:

With tix or plans to see Springsteen on the Magic Tour?

Albany NY is/was tonight.
Boston for 2 nights comin up.

then........across the pond.

and back. :wink:
paddy

Melinda

Postby Melinda » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:10 am

Saw Bruce Thursday night in Albany and all I can say is WOW! The only other time I've seen Bruce was in Saratoga during the Seeger Sessions tour and that was an amazing show as well but Bruce and the E Street Band...WOW. A great mix of both the new songs and the old.

I'm hoping to see the Hartford show in February. Tix go on sale Monday.

Melinda

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:53 am

I've been following a few concert threads on the Springsteen forum as the tour goes along and was encouraged as I read along with the reports from the Albany show. Sounds like you guys got a WOW show, alright.

Jela, I've been reading about ticket "drops" along the tour, that's to say there may still be a chance to obtain tickets to see Bruce if you keep on your toes as the date nears your town.

There's also a forum that matches ticket holders with ticket needers at face value so that serves people who were shut out early rather well. I think it's called "backstreets" -- great name for a Springsteen fan forum.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:11 pm

The Magic tour has crossed the pond, and the official word from Springsteen's website says that keyboard player Danny Federici has left the tour for medical treatment as he battles melanoma.

There's a musician from the Seeger Sessions Band that will be at the keys in place of Danny and word has it he was at the keyboards practicing as fans filed into to the first "Danny -less" show in Spain. Heard from another source at the show that even though the new guy has played with Bruce and the Seeger Sessions Band in concerts all over the world, that he was truly in awe of what was going down on stage with The E Street Band. I guess!!!

Godspeed Danny Federici.
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:30 pm

I love Radio Nowhere! If I leave 92.9 on long enough, I am guaranteed to hear it. I guess their DJs love it, too. :D
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Jela...in case you're still hoping to see Bruce in concert on this tour, it seems maybe the chance is better the second go 'round...that's to say the concerts don't seem to be selling out in minutes.... :D

Hope this helps....

5/28 Manchester, GB Old Trafford On Sale Now
5/30 London, GB Emirates Stadium On Sale Now
5/31 London, GB Emirates Stadium On Sale Now
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Paddy, thanks. We have our tickets for May 30th !!! A funny aside, our next door neighbour has cancelled the holiday they had planned in Spain (wife and two boys) so that he can go and see Broooce in May! Don't think that she was too enamoured with that.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:our next door neighbour has cancelled the holiday they had planned in Spain (wife and two boys) so that he can go and see Broooce in May! Don't think that she was too enamoured with that.

Jela

I don't see anything wrong with that. I postponed my first trip to Europe in order to see my first U2 show. England was there a week later, but Bono was not. :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Jela,

That's some dedication...on both parts!!! :shock:

Bonuela,

Most impressive dedication, too!

On a personal note, at age eleven, I was given the choice of going with the family on a roadtrip from Texas to Long Island, NY or staying in Houston and playing baseball with the little league championship in reach.

It was a tough decision, and one I regretted almost as soon as the family car pulled away New York bound.

We won it all!!! :D
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Why I am forever devoted to Bruce!

Having been born and raised on the Jersey Shore, it's not a stretch to think that I would be a Bruce fan. However, that idol worship reached a whole new level in the winter of '97.

That was the year my brother in law, a Long Branch, NJ police officer, was killed in the line of duty. It didn't take long for all the shore musicians to band together and have a benefit concert for my sister and her young sons. It was called "The Coming Together Concert" and it was held at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank NJ. It was nothing short of awesome. The place was rocking so hard, the plaster was falling in chunks from the ceiling!! I will never forget it!! The kindness of strangers! It meant so much to my sister and our whole family!! The concert consisted of Bruce, Jon Bon Jovi, and various members their respective bands, as well as Southside Johnny, and some shore regulars like Bobby Bandiera.

They raised a ton of money and gave my sister and her boys some piece of mind in a very dark time of their lives.

So, that's my Bruce story. I will be there in April when he plays Phillips Arena. Can't wait!! And I love Magic, especially The Long Walk Home...that line - 'Son, you're luck in this town, it's a beautiful town to be born. It just wraps it's arms around ya, nobody crowds ya, nobody goes it alone....' That's what it's like growing up on the shore...

Annie, transplanted to the south waaaay too long ago!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:08 am

Annie - a belated welcome to the db. That's a great story about Broooce, I can see why he'll always have a special place in your heart.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:59 am

Annie,

Thanks for sharing that touching memory. One more reason to love Bruce.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks for sharing your story, it certainly holds true to the belief that music can both heal and help us all.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 am

Bruce will be revving up the engines for the next leg of this tour. I thought I'd ask if any of the Springsteen faithful out here are "as excited" to see him this go around. Something tells me the momentum might have slowed. I'm wondering if it will pick up steam again.

Anyone with plans to see Bruce when he gets back out there? What's definitely different this time is that tickets for many of the stops on the Magic Tour II are on sale and remain on sale days and weeks later. That's a 180 from the "gone in minutes" we saw early on. See what I mean?

And, just to put this out there....why no openers?

I could rationalize it when the shows were 3 to 4 hours long. I just feel that Bruce, who once had the good fortune to be "the opening act" for others, could return the favor. Throw a bone to the up and comers, if you will. :wink:

Thoughts?
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Paddy,

I never did understand the no openers thing. I agree that he should be throwing a bone to the up and comers! I can't help but think there must be a reason. That would be a good question to ask him someday.

I plan on seeing him in Atlanta, he's playing sometime in April...the 25th I think. The fact that the actual date doesn't immediately come to mind is very telling.....not as exciting as it used to be. Plus, I don't actually have tickets yet. I tried on line the day they went on sale, but kept coming up behind the stage. I don't mind nosebleed, but I'm not sitting behind the stage. I hate the whole ticket buying process, especially here in white collar Atlanta, where most of the tickets go to corporate atlanta. :x I'm hoping my connections will come through at the last minute. And I am constantly checking Craigslist, and Backstreets. I'm sure that the closer I get to the concert the more excited I will get. I am planning on taking my son for his first Bruce experience, so I hope it's good.

On a side note, I am worried that there has been no word from Danny Federici. Having lost three people I loved to Melanoma, I hate to say it, but it doesn't look good. I continue to keep him in my prayers.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm

CORPORATE....How ever did they sneak in to the very thing that Rock once rebelled against. They do seem to run the show nowadays and perhaps that explains why a Sprinsgteen show is as it is. I mean, have an opener, sell less concessions and the like. :wink:

I've heard behind the stage ain't all that bad. Just once I think it would be fun to sit back there and catch Mighty Max in action and The Boss' sightlines as he looks out over the crowds....come to think of it I had mediocre seats once and moved around several times and ended up behind the stage....not a bad way to see the show, really. But I'm with ya on nosebleed seats.....hate sittin way up there, too!!!

I'd forgotten about Danny's departure for health reasons. :oops:

Hope he's on his way to recovery.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 am

Sad, sad news arrived that longtime E-Street band member Danny Federici passed away on April 17th, 2008.

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

1950-2008

DANNY FEDERICI
Danny Federici, for 40 years the E Street Band's organist and keyboard
player, died this afternoon, April 17, 2008 at Memorial Sloan-
Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after a three year battle
with melanoma.

The Federici family and the E Street family request that, in lieu of
flowers, donations be made to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund; more
details on the Fund will be forthcoming.

Bruce Springsteen's concerts scheduled for Friday in Ft. Lauderdale
and Saturday in Orlando performance are being postponed. Replacement
dates will be announced shortly.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=4W5WN7Tuf1U
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:59 am

That breaks my heart! :(

Thanks for posting Paddy.

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:33 am

Lots of heavy hearts I'm sure....but watching that video sure lifts the spirits. The healing power of music. Wow.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:52 am

IS THERE ANYBODY AWAKE OUT THERE??? :P

Happen to know of a forum member who saw the show last night in Atlanta!!! :D

A family member who was there (seats near Clarence) sent this text message:

He was unreal...played almost 3 hrs.....including a 45 minute encore.
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm awake! I'm awake!!

Feeling a bit like I've been run over by a train, but in a good way!

Last nights long awaited show in Atlanta was a packed to the rafters, hands waving, foot stomping kick a$$ rock and roll show!!

He opened with a montage of old photo's of Danny and the band through the years set to 'Blood Brothers' which I thought was gonna have me in a puddle of tears, but it was so well done, it just made me smile. The stage was dark for this with one lone spot light on Danny's organ...very touching!

Then he opend with 'Reason to Believe'. Played non stop for almost three hours and ended with an unbelievable "power pack" - Thunder Road - Born to Run - Rosalita - Tenth Avenue Freeze Out and finishing with one of the songs from the Seeger Sessions American Land.

Based on the 'sweat factor' (my own) I would say it was one of the BEST Bruce shows ever!!!

Loved it! Paddy how did your brother and nephew like it?

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, to be perfectly honest here, my brother and nephew did NOT enjoy this show one bit........not even a little bit. In fact, my brother and nephew were not able to attend last night's show in Atlanta. :(

On the other hand, my brother in law and niece, who live outside Atlanta, absolutely made the scene and early reports are they LOVED IT!!! :D

More to come when I know...all we got last night around midnight was that he was unreal...played 3 hrs...45 minute encore...seats by Clarence Clemmons.

When we asked how his 12 year old daughter was doing after the show, he replied back that they were staying the night in a hotel nearby and that the 45 minute encore had done her in and she was fast asleep!!! :D

We told him to be on the lookout in case Springsteen was staying at the same area hotel.... 8)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:50 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Well, to be perfectly honest here, my brother and nephew did NOT enjoy this show one bit........not even a little bit. In fact, my brother and nephew were not able to attend last night's show in Atlanta. :(

Ooooops :( I listen to you Paddy, I really do! :oops:

On the other hand, my brother in law and niece, who live outside Atlanta, absolutely made the scene and early reports are they LOVED IT!!! :D

I'm so glad!! It's funny, but I tend to take it personally when people don't have a good time at Bruce.

seats by Clarence Clemmons.

What does this mean?

We told him to be on the lookout in case Springsteen was staying at the same area hotel.... 8)

He usually stays at the Ritz or the Four Seasons....

It sounds like your brother-in-law and niece really did it up right!!

Bruce could be hanging out in Atlanta for the day, he doesn't have another show until Charlotte tomorrow. Usual hangouts for him in town are Acapella Books or Wax and Facts records.

Here is a link to some pics from last nights show. Pay no attention to the captions, most of them are wrong. :roll:

http://projects.accessatlanta.com/galle ... steen0426/

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Annie.....yeah, they did it up, right!!! He works really hard and treats the boys to one day trips to see their favorite sports teams in action on the road and takes his daughter to musicals and such. He usually catches Springsteen himself (his one and only Rock and Roll hero) on the road in Boston or New York. Funny thing, his company has a luxury suite at most big city big arenas around the country that they use to entertain clients and that would of course include Phillips Arena in Atlanta. But I do believe that's way too far away from the stage for his liking. They made a night of it, and stayed at the Ritz. Haven't heard of any Springsteen sightings, yet.

So you're hangin out at those 2 shops ya mentioned, right? :P
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:11 am

Annie - that sounds like some concert! Thanks also for the link to the photos - they are great.

We will be seeing Broooce in London at the end of May, if the show is anything like the one you've just been to it will be hot!

Jela

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:43 pm

I haven't been here in ages (busy with kids, work, kids, sports, kids...) but I'm getting ready to head to Charlotte for the concert and remembered what a huge fan Paddy is so I thought I'd peek in before I go to say hello and to let you know I thought of you today! Don't think we can bring cameras in but if I do and get some good shots, I'll post tomorrow. :D
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:43 pm

Enjoy the show and do report back.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks MtnGal..... :D

Should be a great show and I, too, hope you'll report back post show.

Are ya sittin or standin?? :wink:

Broooooooooooooooce!!!
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 pm

Wow! Wow, wow, wow! What a fab show! I had never seen Bruce before so wasn't sure what to expect although from all I've read and heard, it's different every time anyway. As Annie said, the show opened with a beautiful video montage of Danny thru the years on all the bigscreens. I've never heard 20,000 people be so quiet at one time! It was quite something to see all that old footage. Made me feel kind of old actually. Anyway, the show was spectacular. I was a tiny bit disappointed that he didn't play more of his old stuff including Born in the USA which I assumed was a given at all his shows but it was amazing nonetheless. Since the Charlotte Observer said it all better than I ever could, here's the link to the write-up.

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/ ... 00074.html

He had a little girl (maybe 8 or 9 years old) passed up to the stage to dance with him for Dancing in the Dark which was so cute and he also had a little, little girl (maybe 5 or 6) sit on the stage with him to sing but I can't recall which song that was. Not sure either of them are old enough to grasp the magnitude of what they got to do last night but I'm sure their parents will help them understand over time!

Paddy, I was sitting but standing if ya know what I mean! We had excellent seats...could see the sweat pouring off him but my camera phone takes miserable shots so please enjoy the slideshow in the newspaper article.

In closing, I feel like I took part in a real American tradition last night. Bruce has been on my to-see list for a long, long time. I'm so glad I finally had the opportunity!!
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 pm

"Every picture tells a story....don't it?" ~ Rod Stewart and Faces

Well, don't it? :shock: Springsteen, a man who could easily of walked away from the game and the band and faded slowly into Rock and Roll whatever happened to? land or just cont'd to put out the occasional album of new material and maybe a short support tour to stretch the songs and breathe some "live" life into the new songs.

But no....not this guy....not Bruce Springsteen. This guy is out there night after night knowing full well that folks want him to give them the show of the tour and it's obvious that he's laying it on the line every time out and making the connection to fans that are necessary to bring old fans back to glory days and new fans into the fold and up to speed if it's their first time to see one of the best bands on the planet play. SO WELL!!!

Mtn Gal

You have been healed!!! :D
You have been saved!!! :D
You have been been to the mountain top!!! :D

Ain't the view something??? :D

Thanks for the link to the article on the show and the concert photos. Lookin at those tonight, right away I thought, man, this guy is still into it!!!

Every picture tells a story.....thanks for painting another one tonight.

:wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 am

Great reviews! I recently got tix for his show in Mass. in August and I can't wait.

I have been a Bruce fan since I was about 10, thanks to my oldest brother, who is a huge fan. For years, I tried getting tix to shows, back in the old days, when you had to use the phone :D and never had any luck.

In October of 2003, my NY brother, emailed me and asked me if I wanted to come out to see Springsteen with him for my birthday. Told him I'd have to think about it, wasn't sure I had the money, that kinda stuff. He emailed me back telling me the bus was $40 round trip and the ticket was on him, so I booked myself on Greyhound and headed out to NYC!

This was the final show of that particular tour at Shea Stadium. It was the show where Bob Dylan made an appearance!

On the train ride back into the city, my brother asked me if I was okay .... that's how blown away I was by that show. I'd have to say, THE BEST rock-n-roll show I've ever seen in my life and I've been to quite a few concerts over the years.

We have really crappy seats for the show in August, but I could care less. As long as I'm "in da house," I'll be a happy camper!

Monica R.

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Monica,

Have a great time!!! I wish I was going to another show.

I didn't quite have my fill!!

Mtngal, so glad you had fun!! :)

Annie

Return to “Looking for My Friends”