Kelly Willis

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Kelly Willis

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:05 pm

Kelly Willis has been at it since she was a teenager, and as she said herself last night onstage at the tin angel in philly that was a long time ago. That was just before she and her crack 5 piece band broke into an old favorite of mine, "River of Love."

She has a handful of really nice records out, and to many, many of her fans, including me, she is the voice of modern country music, bar none.

Kelly joked she was ready to take her career up to the U2 stage, you know, up there in the music business. By rights she should be there already. She passionately delivered many of the new songs off her just released new record titled "Translated from Love" resulting in thunderous applause after each and every song. This woman has the voice of a country music angel and delivers big time in concert.

Go see her if she's ever out your way. Her Austin, Tx. based band put together for this tour is phenominal. She was at home with the crowd between songs with stories ranging from playing at a maximum security prison to the day her new record came out (2 weeks ago) and all about her house of course "it was all about me" -- even though her songwriter husband Bruce Robison had just had his song hit #1 on the country charts with George Strait. Kelly told the crowd that her band had an arrangement of the song worked up too and the only reason George chose Bruce's arrangement is that he had not heard hers.... :lol:

I've been a fan of Kelly Willis for some time now, and just happened to tune into a discussion about her on another forum, and lo and behold she's playing the tin angel 2 nights later. I simply had to go and see how time has treated one of my Texas musical mainstays. Happy to report, after a break away to have 4 kids, she still has it, in spades.

Bestill my music loving heart..... :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:54 pm

It was quite a nice surprise to discover that Kelly Willis sings bgvox on Lori McKenna's new CD Unglamorous. :D It was every bit as exciting as the time I heard her sing on one of Mark Erelli's early albums. 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Kelly Willis

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Dang......Kelly Willis is calling it quits! :cry:

This message is from Kelly Willis' website:

Hello dear website visitors!

I wanted to thank everyone who came out to my shows while I was touring in support of "Translated.” I had so much fun and have never had a better band.

However, some things became very clear to me over the course of the tour. The most obvious being that I can't juggle! Therefore, I am taking a hiatus from live performances for who knows how long. Being a traveling musician with four kids may not make an extremely compelling reality TV show but it is kicking my butt. I plan to continue making records. And I may do the occasional holiday show/song swap/benefit here and there.

Thanks for all the love you have shown me and I hope I have reflected it back. Happy trails…until we meet again.

Peace and love,
Kelly Willis
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”