Liz Longley

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Liz Longley

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:28 am

I have talked about Liz Longley plenty over in another thread after seeing her perform in concert. This young up and comer is now studying music at Berklee in Boston. My first impression of Liz after hearing some of her tunes via the internet and later an "ep" was that she had talent.

While I've touted her voice and songs and performances, I'm here today to say that Liz' debut CD is really quite amazing and getting more than a few OCD spins around here.....the 3 songs co-written with Bill Deasy are of course faves....or is it her Joni Mitchell cover...or the originals??? What I think I'm most impressed by is the style and vibe heard throughout the record. It's something of a throwback to days gone by. There's a sense that these songs are of a different era in music, like say California in the 70's and early 80's when artists like Valerie Carter and Nicolette Larsen and Joni Mitchell were at the top of their game.

It's killin me that I bought the CD pre-release...with no album cover or lyric sheet or credits to pour over...and that I missed the official CD release party for "Take You Down" held last week at Tin Angel in order that I might pick up the complete package. Liz was in the audience last night for Melody Gardot, and I meant to go up to her and tell her how great her new CD sounds.....but the skies threatened to "electrify" the audience and so the plug was pulled after a brief introduction to Miss Gardot's wonderful style of sultry Jazz vocals.....and we all headed for cover.

Speaking of cover....Liz' cover of "Circle Game" by Joni Mitchell...... 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Liz Longley on YouTube.....

Here's Liz on the night she opened for Lucy Kaplansky in Londonderry, NH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nljUDXi7Z3c
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Sounds good Paddy, and you know who else is from Berkley? That's right, my new favorite.. Annie and the Beekeepers!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:55 am

Liz Longley is SO BUSTED by her friend Sarah Zimmerman in this youtube.
Seems Liz had some Joni Mitchell lyrics to learn. :shock:
What's funny is that it's her favorite line in the song. :lol:
Ah, the innocence of youth. 8)

Sarah busts Liz onstage about Liz' studio recording of Joni's Circle Game.
The line in question:
Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town.
Liz thought it was otherwise and her friend Sarah caught it in the studio.
Like wait a minute....
Cartwheels turn to cartwheels ????

No, Liz, it's : cartwheels turn to car wheels (when you turn 16)

Funny moment in this young talent's young career.
ps...I've heard the final studio version of Circle Game and Liz nailed it....... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlhvylbmFo
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:39 am

Sarah Zimmerman is down in Nashville last I heard....

She's from Downingtown, Pa. and has got the "guitar thing" down having studied at the esteemed "School of Rock" here and has toured with the travelling version of the school band which features prominsing young hopefuls. Sarah's one of their finest young graduates.

She's backed Liz Longley for years and one of these days I expect to hear that big things are happening for both of these fine young talents.

Here's Sarah solo acoustic singing a Joni Mitchell song from Joni's classic album titled "Blue" -- an album Ellis reccomends over in the shop and a record I can point to as one that turned my 17 year old head around.

This Flight Tonight ~ Joni Mitchell
covered by Sarah Zimmerman 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqPfXmAe3Y
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:53 am

Me thinks Sarah Zimmerman has just hijacked Liz Longley's thread. :lol:

Here's Sarah Zimmerman with another female vocalist singing Joni Mitchell's Circle Game at an outdoor concert. Part of the School of Rock tour I think and the girl handling the lead vocal reminds me vocally of a younger Phoebe Snow.

Sarah's comfort level and ease on the acoustic guitar shines here. 8)

Circle Game ~ Joni Mitchell

Covered by Sarah Zimmerman and Rachel Forman Rubinsky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR9dV7fNoRg
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Liz Longley

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:35 pm

One of the nice things about being into music as much as I am is that I get to watch the young ones blossom as the years pass. Liz caught my attention from the first time I saw her sing oh I dont recall how long ago now but I know she keeps getting better and better.

Her time at Berklee School of Music, majoring in Song Writing, seems well spent. The songs on her latest CD show that maturity. She put out a lil 5 or 6 song solo acoustic ep and there it was again. The girl can sing! She's been doing shows with Liv Taylor, who manages her as well. She's Nashville bound and I'm hoping she catches a big break while there.

Keep an eye out for the name folks, and catch her out playing sometime. I think you'll agree she can sing, anf if your tastes lean to a younger Joni Mitchell before time and smokes put to bed that voice that made you fall for Joni Mitchell in the first place, just ask Liz to play you a Joni Mitchell song or two ~ she knows a few and for my love and money she's the closest thing to Old Joni as anyone gets.

Here's Liz Longley and Sarah Zimmerman at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square Pa from a show there over the summer I think. Just a couple of crazy talented girls from the area with nothing better to do than to try to make this crazy music career thing work.

Liz Longley/Sarah Zimmerman/Leonard Cohen/Hallelujah
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”