Ray Bonneville

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Ray Bonneville

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 31, 2007 7:18 am

Last night we went to see Ray Bonneville do a solo gig in Brighton at a small pub, The Ranelagh which has been putting on blues music for 20 years, although we hadn't been aware of the place prior to seeing it advertised on Ray's tour listing.

He played two sets and this was the third time we had seen him play (if we don’t count the Ray Wylie Hubbard gig at SXSW where he was in the band) and the more I see him, the more I like him. I’d been playing his CD ’Rough Luck’ in the car during the day; this is the one that has ‘Two Bends in the Road’ on it.

We watched him do a sound check and I could see that he had what appeared to be a very long set list on the floor so when he went out after the sound check I peeked at the listing and he caught me (!) sneaking a look. He asked what song I was looking for and I said that the one I was hoping to be on the list was there ‘ Two Bends’ and he said that he’d play it for me. The list, he explained is a Master List and it had over 50 songs on it, he said he has plenty more and just picks and chooses the set list from it……..he really is quite a musician, a style that is very much his own. He plays guitar, harmonica and uses a foot board to create a unique sound.

If you like blues, you’d like him so thank you Ellis for introducing us to another wonderful singer/songwriter. True to his word he played my request.

We bought two more of his CDs last night one of which won a Juno award (Canadian equivalent to a Grammy) and he has a new CD in the pipeline, out shortly (on Red House) but sadly for us, no copies were available last night.

Richard didn’t take a camera with him so we don’t have any pix to share, it would have been difficult to take any good shots because it was so dark in such a small, intimate setting.

Go see him if you can!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:15 am

Jela,

Thanks for the wonderful report! I've been saving one of the Fan Photos Richard submitted a few weeks ago....and this seems the perfect time to post it! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon May 12, 2008 12:09 pm

Went to see Ray Bonneville on Friday evening, he was playing at a place we hadn't been to before 'The Bulls Head' at Fishbourne which is about an hour's drive from our home. The venue for music shows is an old converted barn, full of oak beams and it created a lovely atmosphere. The show was a sell out - we had ordered tickets by 'phone but they'd omitted to note this down so when we got there there weren't any tickets set aside for us but they let us in!!! (that's the second time in a row that's happened to us.......they say things happen in threes but lets hope not)

Ray was struggling with a cold but still performed for about an hour and a half/three quarters doing two sets. Showcasing his new CD 'Goin' by Feel' he naturally played quite a few tracks off it and some from 'Rough Luck' but not 'Two Bends'. The new CD is really good - there's a song about New Orleans 'The Big Easy' sung from the perspective of the city - it's very clever and he knows the city well having lived there for four or five years.

My particular favourite is 'So long Blues' and he played this as the last song of the evening, during the encore.

Well worth a 2hr+ round trip. He's coming back next year.

Jela

herve

Postby herve » Mon May 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Some videos with Ray at

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon May 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Jela, seems like seeing Ray Bonneville in May has became and annual event for you, I see you posted about seeing him one year ago in May!! 2 + hours and the price of gas, how much is it in England anyway? I wonder if Ellis will change the lryics to to pounds and liters if he ever gets over there and plays "The Day The Levee Broke" (aka) " I can't afford to pay!" He's gonna have to change it to $4.00 dollars a gallon over here by summertime. :(
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Patti,

I was thinking the same thing today. :(

KarenZ

Patti wrote:He's gonna have to change it to $4.00 dollars a gallon over here by summertime. :(
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon May 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Yes, a Ray Bonneville show is turning out to be an annual event over here and we know that he's going to be back again at a similar time in 2009. Thanks Herve for the video links - they are great.

Well the price of petrol???? We are paying approx 110p per litre which equates to about $10 per gallon! We can only wish that it was $4 per gallon - a really high percentage of what we pay is tax/duty.

We've travelled regularly in the US since the early 1990's and there's always been a wide discrepancy in the price of petrol between here and there.

Jela

Return to “Looking for My Friends”