Mark Erelli

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Re: Mark Erelli

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Patti - thanks ever so for the report - can't wait to see him later this month over here.

I wondered if you might get to hear 'Vertigo' the co-write with Antje, from her new CD - a lovely haunting song.

Sorry to hear about the (continuing) snow - I think that I too would be fed up with it if it had gone on for so long.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Well Jela I am happy that Mark is making it to UK but just looking at the dates again I wish it was a few days later as Antje will be having her CD release shows at Passim's at the same time, and I think it would have been possible that Mark showed up for them at some time.

Also, if it was a day or two later, you would be rested after SXSW!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:51 am

Folks,

Here's Jela's review of Mark's show at Patti's Place on Jan. 1, 2009 which was published in the most recent issue of Maverick magazine. :)

(Just a reminder that only logged-in members of the board can view attachments.)

KarenZ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Nicely written Jela, I sent links to lots of my friends. Richard provides the photos.. what a team :D !!

Sugarland happens to be on the cover of this issue..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Mark's main website seems to be down.....wonder if he knows -- myspace still works!! :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:14 pm

I've reported it to Slab, just in case they don't know....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Well he is out of the country right now, so he may not know.. Just hope it is up and working before Jela finds out :wink:

I'm pretty sure she is enroute from SXSW to England now to get back and catch Mark's performance Monday night!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Well his website is still not responding to clicking the link at google....but fear not!!! :P

Here's a lil something to look at til he's back on the line.

Marker Ellie :D

What's next, the Ellis Paulo shirt? :roll:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:58 am

Yes - got back from SXSW yesterday lunchtime and went to see Mark in the evening. I will post later about the show but just letting you know that the website is down because the 5 yr domain name has expired and Mark can't remember his password. He will sort it out when he gets home and it should be up and running by the end of the week.

Lots to tell you about his visit. Catch you all later. I will also post about SXSW.

Gotta' get to work.....

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:43 am

Mark Erelli opens for Josh Ritter Sunday March 29 at Diesel on the south side of pittsburgh........hmmmmm.

:D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 am

Already got my ticket. :)

Karenz
paddyinthepub wrote:Mark Erelli opens for Josh Ritter Sunday March 29 at Diesel on the south side of pittsburgh........hmmmmm.

:D

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Well we made it home from Austin safe and sound arriving back on Monday lunchtime and got ourselves to the Mark Erelli gig in the evening at the Ravenswood, which is only 5 miles from home. Lots of newbies in the audience including a guy I work with, Mark really went down well and gained a lot of new fans. Two set gig - the full setlist:

Columbus, Ohio (new song)
Not Alone
Unravelled
Volunteers
Five Beer Moon
Once
Kingdom Come (co-write with Stu Hanna and Rachael McShane from Darwin Song Project)
Baltimore
Imaginary Wars (on mandolin)
Evening's Curtain
Here and Now
Troubadour Blues
Farewell Ball
Tired Eyes
Passing Through
The Only Way
Seasons Pass (request from promoter, Martin)

Great show - he's coming back in August, for Shrewsbury Folk Fest, the Green Note London and hopefully a few other dates.

The Darwin Song Project was a great success and will be featured on BBC Radio 4 tomorrow morning at 11.00 am (7.00 am Boston time) and I’ll be listening in. There will also be a CD release.

Article about Mark appearing at TwickFolk on Sunday which you might like to read is at Mark in the news

I get to see him again in July at WoodyFest and in August back over here - Woo Hoo!

Karen - enjoy the weekend show - I really like Josh Ritter too. Look forward to your report

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Jela,

So glad you made it back to the UK in time to catch Mark! Thanks for the wonderful report and the link to the article. (I love that picture of Mark used in the article.) I'll try to get a few pictures this Sunday night and will be sure to post a report as well. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:59 am

The venue was so not what I can tolerate in regards to listening to music that I left after Mark's set. Josh Ritter's band joined Mark on stage for the last wo songs. Mark seemed really pumped to be performing for the full-house of Josh fans and sounded great. The setlist:

Columbus, Ohio (guessing on the title)
Not Alone
Unravel
Volunteers
Shadowland
Troubadour Blues
Kingdom Come (new song about Charles Darwin)
Five Beer Moon
Baltimore

I was not able to get any pictures.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Folks,

Mark's show in Chicago (Berwyn), Saturday night (Apr. 18, 2009) was a wonderful house concert setting at This Old House Concerts. It was good to see Dean & Elaine! :)

Setlist:

Columbus, Ohio
Not alone
Unravel
Volunteers
Five beer moon
Once
Kingdom Come
Baltimore
[Break]
Call you home
One too many midnghts (one verse only)
Everything in ruin
Imaginary wars (mandolin)
troubadour blues
seasons pass
compass and companion
passing through (lovely audience harmony that surprised Mark!)
the only way (audience sing-a-long!) :)
Encore:
Congress Street
Owen's Song (formerly Do the same for someone)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Great picture Karen!

It sounds like this made up for the last venue that you went to for Mark.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:03 pm

It sure did! :)

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:It sounds like this made up for the last venue that you went to for Mark.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 pm

Cool to see house concerts becoming more and more commonplace.... :)

Thanks for the review, Karen......some roadtrip. 8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:16 am

Thanks for the report and photo - that's started my morning off very nicely thank you!

What a nice set of songs, I love that new one 'Columbus, Ohio' and the Darwin Song 'Kingdom Come' is being hailed as one of the best from that project, by people who went to the full concert and heard all the songs.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:15 am

Jela,

I knew you'd like that photo.....and I did remember to pass your regards on to Mark. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:Thanks for the report and photo - that's started my morning off very nicely thank you!

What a nice set of songs, I love that new one 'Columbus, Ohio' and the Darwin Song 'Kingdom Come' is being hailed as one of the best from that project, by people who went to the full concert and heard all the songs.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:47 am

Josh Ritter and Mark Erelli perform Roll On unplugged at the Sellersville Theatre in Sellersville, Pa.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 am

Thanks Paddy - very nice. Love both guys, a double bill to die for!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon May 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Per Usual, Mark has written another informative, witty monthly newsletter. Nice to hear how the normal things in life are.. well normal for him too...

The download of the month is Columbus Ohio.. nice enough song, liked it when I first heard it performed live, but as he explains, it could be about anywhere in America, he just needed a 3 syllable town and a 2 syllable state...though I suppose a 2 syllable town and a 3 syllable state would work too :wink:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 am

Jela, this is for you:

Member Concert from June 2004 featuring local singer-songwriter Mark Erelli on WUMB Friday - May 22, 2009 - 5am EST. This should be a perfect time for Mark's #1 fan in England! ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Ha Ha - Friday morning I'll be tuning in to as much of it as I can, I'll miss the beginning but should catch it from 25mins in - thanks for thinking of me.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 22, 2009 5:58 am

Caught the last half hour - lovely! I realised that I have heard it before but you can't have too much Mark Erelli in your life :)

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:49 am

The River Sound Cafe brings you in studio with Mark Erelli.

Shadowland
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 am

This is wonderful! Thank you Paddy for posting it. I must be slipping as I hadn't come across it before and it's been up since 9th May! Shame on me!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:09 am

thanks for the link Paddy, and I'm sure Mark appreciates it too. Check out what he has to say in his latest newsletter below!!

He wants pictures!! Richard and Monica I KNOW you have a couple of great ones..

WEB UPDATES: I get so wrapped in making music I sometimes forget to actually let you know about it! To that end, I've updated a few parts of my website. My discography contains some new entries and while it's far from an exhaustive list of my guest appearances on others' records any means, it's getting more complete. I also added a section for pictures taken by fans. If you have a good picture of me (and I'll be the judge of that!) that you'd like to see on the site, send it to me at mark@markerelli.com. Lastly, there have been some newly added YouTube videos, including one of myself and Josh Ritter performing his encore unamplified at the edge of the stage a couple months ago. Just go to YouTube, search my name and you'll find it.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 am

Jeffrey Foucault shares exciting Mark Erelli news.... 8)

Jeffrey Foucault covers Bruce Springsteen's Johnny 99
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:07 am

Mark Erelli performs Once at the Hat Trick Concert Series.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:55 pm

When I first heard this song (I think it was during an interview Mark did which was a podcast) I was convinced that it was a co-write with Ron Sexsmith as I knew that he'd written a song with him - I was wrong but it definitely sounds like a Ron Sexsmith influenced song to me.

Yes I do like Ron Sexsmith as well!

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:40 pm

Isn't this the song Mark says he wrote in a big areana shower room bathroom when he was on tour with Lori and Faith & Tim.. !! He liked the way it echoed off the walls..

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:49 am

Yes I think it is that one Patti.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:12 am

Folks,

For those of you who don't receive Mark's newsletter, the Darwin Song Project CD is available online at Fish Records.

You can also watch a video of one of Mark's song from the project - "Mother of Mysteries" - on YouTube and/or watch a video interview at Spiral Earth.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Great stuff - the CD arrived in the post yesterday - -haven't had a chance to listen yet but have seen the YouTube videos.

Best of all tho' Mark is going to be at WoodyFest!

Jela (one very happy bunny!)

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:39 pm

I envy you Jela.... I listened to the You Tube version today, it came out great.. it is the professional footage of the actual DVD ( I think)

I guess Mark isn't planning on having it at his shows, so I am going to order myself a copy...

I am looking forward to the New Bedford Folk Festival Saturday and SUnday... Ellis, Antje, John Gorka (on the same stage as Antje at one point) Richard Shindell, Johnathan Edwards.. so many favorites :D , except....Mr Mark..hmmm I'm thinking he is celebrating his Independence this 4th of July..perhaps on Cape Cod... :wink:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 am

That's a wonderful line up Patti - have a great time.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Jela,

I'm listening to Jake Armerding right now performing live on WUMB....and he just made some very complimentary statements about Mark Erelli. Evidentally Mark is playing with Jake this weekend....and Jake said he gets Mark whenever he can. :-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:32 pm

..he has good taste then doesn't he?

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:34 pm

So do you! ;)

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:..he has good taste then doesn't he?

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Mark is in the UK this weekend and performing at Shrewsbury Folk Festival (solo on Friday and with the Darwin Song Project on Saturday) as well as a London date on Sunday at Green Note.

The festival, for the first time ever are going to be streaming main stage performances live across the Internet and across the globe. I am so pleased that Mark's solo set tomorrow at 20.45 our time and 15.45 EST your time is being filmed so you can watch it too.

Shrewsbury Folk Festival

We are not going to the festival but are going to the London show. Weekend is lookin' good!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Have just finished watching the Internet stream of Mark's set at Shrewsbury and it was just great! He played 11 songs and seemed to go down really well with the crowd.

It's great exposure for him and hopefully he's made lots of new fans from this appearance.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:10 am

Great show last night at Green Note, London. Nice crowd including extended family members. Played two sets, about an hour and half in total. He came over to our table briefly before the show and asked if we had any requests.

First set:
1. Columbus Ohio (Richard's request) New song
2. Not Alone
3. Unravelled
4. Five Beer Moon
5. Volunteers
6. Imaginary Wars (on mandolin)
7. Troubadour Blues
8. Kingdom Come (Darwin Song Project song)
9. Pilgrim Highway

Second set:
10. Here and Now
11. Bend In The River (my request)
12. Once (dedicated to his son, told funny story about how many times he's sung 'Wheels on the Bus' for him in different styles - folk, bluegrass, even opera!)
13. Man of the Family (our friend Paul's request)
14. Basement Days (New)
15. August (New - this month's mp3 download - he makes one available each month on his website)
16. The Only Way

Encore
17. Here at the Right Time (Josh Ritter song - getting in practice for the forthcoming UK tour in Josh's band, supporting Ray LaMontagne. Josh is doing a few shows of his own as well so I'm hoping that when we see them in Brighton (sold-out) on September 15th, Mark is the opener - fingers crossed!).

More good news - Mark looks like coming back to the UK in the Spring :) and is going to be working on a new CD soon.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:55 am

Green with envy! :mrgreen:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:55 am

..now you know how I feel when you guys in the US get to see my favourites on your doorsteps!

In my other life, I'd be permanently camped out at Passim and the Cactus Cafe in Austin.

It was a great evening :)

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:02 pm

My daughter was watching the show Skins tonight, it is the American version of a BBC show. Anyway, she screams and says " mom, its Mark Erelli's song, Imaginary Wars" wahoo.. it was... I guess England is really coming round on Mark!! Jela did you have anything to do with this :wink:

Taylor has the show on DVR, so it probably aired in the last week, but she says she will get all the details of its original airing and if the song was in the original BBC show. I guess they have a few versions of the show..it will air again this Saturday 4-5 pm on BBC America, the song is about 50 minutes into the show..

Congratulations Mark!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTkjrA3-58E

Imaginary Wars @ Patti's Place !!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:48 am

Wow! That's great news - well done for Mark. I don't watch Skins but would if I knew his music was going to be in it :)

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 am

Folks,

Mark will appear on WUMB's Live at Noon this Friday, Oct. 16, 2009 at 12pm EST! 8)

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”