Mark Erelli

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Sadly No. Hope that someone from the board goes and post a report, or pix or a video. Oh how I wish we could be there.........I'm just hoping that Mark gets back to the UK sometime soon.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Jela, I do believe Mark Erelli relayed in his latest e-letter to fans that members of Josh Ritter's band played on the new CD and if i'm not mistaken a few of them will be joining Mark onstage at Passim for the release shows. I, too, hope to hear reports from the shows. :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat May 24, 2008 2:31 am

Yes you're right and Zac (from Josh Ritter's band) is the producer on the forthcoming CD. The shows are going to be great, I've no doubt.

Years ago Passim used to have a live feed to the Internet and we could listen to the performers...........oh that they would do that again. I guess there are many valid reasons why they stopped the live broadcasts but I miss them and keep hoping that one of these days they'll reinstate them.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:14 pm

fairydust wrote:Hi there

Saw Mark Erelli last night at the Living Room in Manhattan..It was only a one hour show, and was really rocking..he did most of the news songs from Delivered!! Really great CD.

He was so sweet and had funny stories, mostly about his baby and the wonderful experience of being a parent.

His voice was in full throttle..really beautiful..just too short.

He was playing with a bass player and a drummer, never saw Mark in that genre before, but def something to see,

I hope this CD has full air play that it deserves.

Ellen
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Elen,

Thanks for the report! I've been meaning to post about Mark's new CD, which I love, and will do so as soon as I can gather my thoughts and find a minute or two! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:15 pm

Ellen, just to endorse what Karen says - thanks.

I love the new CD - I am hoping that one of these days he tours it in the UK.

I've had it on in the car pretty much all the time since I got a copy - oh and I do my ironing listening to it too!!!

Jela

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:44 am

Hi Jela and all

I have it in my car and have only listened to that since I got it...ironing!! I love ironing too!!!

Quazi nerd..I guess..

Ellen

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Ok, am I blind or just an idiot?

Where are ya'll getting this cd? I can't find it on Itunes or his website?

Is it only available at the merch table at his shows?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Annie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:41 am

Annie - you're neither! The CD is currently available at shows and doesn't get an official release until September. It was originally going to be released in July but its been slightly delayed.

In order to proceed with recording the CD Mark did this 'Barnraising' where he effectively asked people to send him money and pre-order the CD. Depending upon the level you subscribed for, you got a certain number of CDs prior to the official release. That's how Karen and I got 'advance' copies.

I know of a few artists who have done a similar thing - I guess it gives them the freedom to record what they want without pressure from a record company (although Mark's CD will be released on the Signature Sounds label). With the power of the Internet it seems that many prefer to release their material independently..........are we seeing the beginning of the demise of the record label?????

'Delivered' is just so good and I know that when you get a copy you will love it.

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:03 am

Thank you Jela!!

It all makes sense now. And that is a brilliant idea!

I guess I can wait until September. :)

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:30 am

Just stumbled across a nice picture of Mark with Kris Delmhorst taken at the WYEP studio in Pittsburgh. Rosemary Welsch, WYEP on-air host, is with them.

Jela.....I don't know....Mark is looking kinda swoonworthy, don't you think? ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wyep/138353601

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:07 am

I most certainly do! :) :)

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Two bits of news that I'm really pleased about......

I sent a copy of 'Delivered' to a DJ friend in Australia who presents a show in Melbourne and two weeks running he's played tracks from the CD - firstly 'Hope Dies Last' and secondly 'Five Beer Moon'

Last night on BBC Radio 2 Bob Harris played 'Hope Dies Last' and commented how he thought that Mark was/is a terrific singer/songwriter.

Who am I to disagree???

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:46 am

Jela,

You're turning out to be quite the Mark Erelli promoter! (Along with Ellis Paul and Sam Baker.) ;)

I am still loving Mark's new CD.....

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 pm

I need to get that new CD.. I just ordered Vance's and I am still waiting for that. I just got Mark's newsletter in my email, they always make me smile :D
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Patti, I agree. Mark's newsletter this evening was - once again - wonderful. They are the Gold Standard of folkie newsletters, IMHO. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Karen wrote

Jela,

You're turning out to be quite the Mark Erelli promoter! (Along with Ellis Paul and Sam Baker.)

....and what a triumvirate that is!

I do what I can to promote these guys, and I learned today that Mark Erelli is coming to the UK in 2009 - Yes!!!!! That's what I call a result!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Jela,

I happened to write to Mark yesterday and commented to him that I'd be seeing his #1 fan - Jela Webb - at WoodyFest. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Karen - now if he was on the bill at WoodyFest that would be my hatrick!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:56 pm

BeckyG and I are gonna be working on that..... :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Well if that came off you'd have one extremely happy bunny here!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Re: Mark Erelli

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:55 pm

There's a 30min podcast of a Mark Erelli interview at
Mark Erelli Podcast interview

It's very good and he's extremely articulate throughout. You also get to hear clips of some of the songs from the fortcoming CD 'Delivered'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:21 pm

Jela,

You would make a terrific moderator of a Mark Erelli Discussion Board. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:02 pm

:D :D :D

Every musician needs a 'Karen'

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:12 pm

Mark has changed the songs available on his MySpace site and it now includes two from the forthcoming CD 'Not Alone' and 'Volunteers' so you can get a sneak preview ahead of official CD release in September.

Mark Erelli MySpace

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Jela, just got Mark Erelli's e-newsletter (man he writes well) and since I know you most likely got it too I'm here to say congrats on the upcomng UK dates Mark has scheduled across the pond. 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:49 pm

For those of you not on Mark's newsletter distribution list, he also provides information about a special podcast:

DELIVERED: My seventh cd will released officially on September 16th, and I couldn't be more proud of this one. The barn raisers have had their copies for awhile, and you can get yours before the release date if you come to a show. For those of you hungry for more info on this release, I sat down with Greg from Tree House Concerts to record a podcast interview. It features some of the stories behind the songs and the recording sessions, and it's a nice little snapshot of our conversation. Head on over to http://treehouseconcerts.blogspot.com to listen to the podcast.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Mark Erelli coming over to the UK (twice in 2009) is just fabulous news and to get a slot on Bob Harris BBC Radio 2 is just fantastic - he's been responsible for breaking so many US artists in the UK that I hope Mark being on the show means that he gets the much wider audience I think his music deserves.

As to the dates mentioned in Twickenham and Sussex - well copies of my 'barnraising' CDs went to both bookers and whilst I know that they would have booked Mark anyway I'd like to think that I've 'helped matters along'. Both of them know that I'm a fan and gave me advance notice of the dates :wink: :wink:

The podcast is great as it intersperses songs from the new CD with discussion; I always think that Mark is so articulate and he certainly lives up to this description on the podcast. I really enjoyed listening to it.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:09 am

For fans of Mark Erelli in the Boston area I see he's opening for Carrie Rodrigues tonight!!! 8) I'm listening to Mark's latest "Delivered" this morning (thanks to Jela!) and it's fantastic! 8)

I started listening to Carrie Rodrigues when she was one half of the duo with Chip Taylor, who just happens to be the brother of actor Jon Voight. I was hooked immediately, and tho i have yet to hear her newer solo stuff I am reading good things about it here and elsewhere. If ya venture out tonight to the show a report would be great! It's at a place called cafe 939 and I think it's near Berklee College of Music.

http://www.berklee.edu/events/venue/939
paddy

motogirl

Postby motogirl » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Hey Paddy,

I went to the show on Fri night at Berklee. Mark was amazing, and I just kept thinking, he sounds a lot like Ellis-he just doesn't hit those high notes(but he doesn't try to either). The new CD is awesome, and he played about 4or5 songs from it. He was accompanied by Zach Higman-playing standup bass and pump organ. Zach produced Mark's latest CD.

Carrie was amazing also. She has a beautiful soulful voice, and she's adorable also. Really fun show.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey Motogirl

Thanks ever so much for the post about seeing the show at cafe 939....i was hoping someone here on the forum might have plans to see the show and post about it here. I've long thought that Mark Erelli and Ellis Paul had something strangely similar going on in their vocal delivery like it was something in the water or something up Maine way..... :lol: Although it's not the same at all, really, I can still hear what it was about Mark that once called to mind Ellis. That new record really is somethin! 8)

Glad you got to see and hear Carrie, too, she's definitely on my concert to see lists....... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:04 pm

YEE HAW! Mark Erelli live on WUMB this Friday, Sept. 26, 2008 at noon EST! Jela, I hope you'll be near a computer then! :D

WUMB

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:08 pm

I'll make sure I am by hook or by crook! Thanks for the heads up.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Here's a link to a review on "Delivered" in the Lone Star Iconoclast.

"Delivered" Showcases the Lyrics of Mark Erelli

http://lonestaricon.com/2008/Online/iconoclast34.swf

Look for it in the Entertainment Section on page 9 of 16......scroll pages for quick access....9/16.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks Paddy - its a great review of 'Delivered' and says some very nice things about the man himself.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Mark just started.....he's playing "Baltimore" from the new CD and is sounding really good! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:03 pm

He's on! Starting with 'Baltimore'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi Jela! :D

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi Karen :P

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:10 pm

I hope he does "five beer moon"....

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:11 pm

and 'Delivered' which if pushed to choose a favourite track, would be mine

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:17 pm

I just e-mailed WUMB and asked them to let Mark know that two of
his barn-raisers are listening. I hope the message gets through....:)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Paddy....he's playing "Volunteers"!!!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:21 pm

Ooh Karen - that would be neat!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:30 pm

i'm late....i'm late....for a very important date!!! :wink:

Lost track of this but am listening now......the sleep deprivation tour with Jeffrey Foucault.... :lol:

Hope he sings another!!!

It's on WUMB by the way!!!

One more.....yeah!!!

Once....a happy song! :D
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 pm

He's playing 'Once' which when I first heard it, convinced myself that this was the co-write with Ron Sexsmith......it is such a Ron Sexsmith sounding song

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi Karen
Hi Jela
:D
Definitely sounding like a Ron Sexsmith style song..... 8)

cya!!!

:wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Well that was great - I can't believe that in the space of a week or so my three favourite guys have been live on the radio - somebody up there is smiling down on me!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:25 pm

And for those of you who weren't able to listen, Mark was headed to a TV studio where he is filming an episode of a new Discovery Channel TV show called "Time Warp". He said the episode is scheduled to be broadcast on Wednesday, Oct. 15....which I think is when the show premiers. See link below.

Time Warp

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Mark's monthly MP3 download is 'She's a Mystery to Me' recorded by Roy Orbison and written by U2 - do listen on his website - it's just wonderful!

Jela

Return to “Looking for My Friends”