Mark Erelli

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Mark Erelli

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:32 pm

Today is Mark Erelli's birthday. Heard him again today doing the cover of Roy Orbison's "crying" on WUMB. Wow. I'm hoping it works out that I get o see him with Lori McKenna on Aug. 22 in Exton, PA.

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:51 pm

I've got to hear that version of "Crying".... it must be great.

Happy Birthday Mark !
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:32 am

Please, please encourage him to come over again to the UK - tell him how well Ellis was received and encourage him to do some concerts over here.

I just love his music - did see him at SXSW this year - he was my favourite act, despite lots of competition from other favourites (Jimmy La fave, Joe Ely, James McMurtry) and would love to see him live again.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Hey guys, my first post on the new forum. How's everybody? Looks like we have a new member to help spice things up. JALAPENOS....WELCOME.

Karen,

Hope to see you at the show. It should be a good one.

I'm hoping OPRAH will be there :roll:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:31 pm

Paddy :!: It's about time you checked in :!:

:)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 pm

As my dear old dad used to say: Call me anything but late for supper.

I know, I know. I know.

Ellis said it best:

"I'm the one who is last at the table"

It's good to be back.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:41 am

A pilgrimage of sorts this past spring led me to Bethlehem, Pa. to try and find the to me legendary Godfrey Daniel's Coffeehouse. It was around lunchtime when we arrived in town. My son was out of school that day and was along for the ride. We saw several of the things that make this such a cool little town, only an hour or so from home.

Anyway, a stop in an ice cream shop along the main drag before heading home and I'm listening to the music playing overhead. It was Mark Erelli. Now I would know Mark's music anywhere....except the one early song where I think he's ellis....but this is somewhat different. I've read that this is one of Mark's best works ever.....hmmn, could well be. Don't usually believe it till I hear for myself. And then, I like so much of Mark 's early stuff that I'd never be able to say that it's the best to date.

I ordered it from his label, Signature Sounds, at the Spring Clearance sale held over at the website. I've given it a few spins since and have to say, beyond the fact that I like it, there's been something of a change in Mark's singing voice on this record. And it's all good!!! It's like his voice has reached another level. It has aged well. Sounds more mature, somehow.

It's another great group of songs by Mark Erelli. The title of the record is ''Hope and Other Casualties''. Look forward to seeing Mark play these songs when he plays Exton, Pa in August.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:14 am

So pleased that you like 'Hope' I think its great and what I like about him is the variety in his CDs - this one is completely different from 'Hillbilly Pilgrim' which was a change of genre for him but nevertheless worked extremely well. In fact one of my favourite all time songs is on there 'Bend in the River'. 'Hope' is a very political collection of songs and I think that he gets his views over in a very articulate way - he's just 'my cup of tea'

I'm just hoping and hoping that he'll come back to the UK - he was here in 2004 and we actually saw him on my birthday which was an extra special treat.

If you join his discussion board, each month he makes am MP3 available, usually but not always a cover and he has some wonderful songs - we therfore have a stunning collection of stuff that's not been recorded by him elsewhere - well worth it. In fact that would be a nice idea for this discussion board - Ellis does some great covers in concert which I don't suppose will feature on any CD - 'Let it Be' for example.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:24 am

Jela,

I've been on Mark's mailing list for years and have to say I'm always happy to read his e - newsletters when they arrive. They reveal alot about Mark Erelli, dontya think? His invites to clubs are so warm and personal. A real genuine all around great guy. And talent......man oh man.

As for the mp3 download stuff.....what can I say?

I am my Father. Slow to change. :wink: I'll get there, someday.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:17 am

I think that you sum him up very well - I got the chance to speak with him each time that I've seen him live and I agree that he seems a very genuine guy who always appreciates the fact that people have come out to listen to him.

He's had a couple of tracks played on BBC Radio 2 by Bob Harris recently who is the most influential DJ in terms of the folk/country/Americana genres over here and has been responsible for breaking artists like Eliza Gilkyson, Jeff Black in the UK. A few more plays wouldn't go amiss and it would help build a UK audience for Mark Erelli.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:58 pm

Wow. Check out the latest free download on Mark's web site. It's a kitchen demo song tentatively titled "nothing much has changed".

http://www.markerelli.com/index.php?page=cds&display=135

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:17 pm

karen...pele juju...great lyrics..cant wait to hear..for now lil guy napping on the sofa..bad case of summer dehydration I think. No music on right now. Will try later and comment...thanks for the link.
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:21 pm

:shock:

Wow. Amazing song. Love the write up about it, too. Definitely hits you in the solar plexus.

Great snag, Karen!
~L~

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:53 pm

Mark Errelli was in town yesterday for a small Folk Festival we had. He did a solo show, and then backed up Lori McKenna. Two amazing talents! Listening to a couple of their CD's right now.
Peter

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:15 pm

Pete - that show will repeat in Exton, Pa on Aug.22nd and I can hardly wait. We are huge fans of both Mark and Lori and have alot of their music. Hopefully they each had ample time onstage to allow for maximum enjoyment of their talents. You don't seem like the setlist posting type so I won't ask if you have one......ooops, guess I just did. :wink:
paddy

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Hey Paddy......no, unfortunately they didn't have enough time on stage. There were four acts, and everyone had an hour each. Just enough to leave you wanting more! And you're right....I couldn't tell you a set list if my life depended. At live music I sort of zone out and love every minute of it. Then I walk around with the live music buzz for hours :lol:
Peter

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:04 pm

Pete - no worries, I post setlists or see others post them and they do lil more than document the setlist. It's always so much more than the list of songs, isn't it? Having said that, I still enjoy seeing the setlists if it's posted.

An hour is not bad and probably an outdoor fest norm. It is a shame that the artist and audience just seem to be hitting their respective strides and it's time for only one more song.

Ellis has spoiled us a time or two with those 27 song marathon type shows he put on at the mucky duck a while back. That kind of show you wish could be the norm and not the exception.

The Eagleview concert series they'll play August 22 is a similar one hour each format since it runs pretty much like clockwork starting at 7pm sharp and ending at or around 9pm.

It's a free show and family oriented and rules are rules. Still, it's summer and you just wish they had as much time as they wanted.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Sometimes it takes one extra listen to really get a CD. I have liked Mark Erelli's new one "Hope And Other Casualties" plenty. Some songs more than others. Heard it here, heard it there, usually driving with too much other stuff in my head to distract. UNTIL YESTERDAY that is. It was quiet time, outside in the driveway, cleaning my car out. Sun Shining Hot. Just Me, Myself, and Mark Erelli. I heard it like never before. It's Great.....

And he's coming Tuesday to a stage near me with Lori McKenna.

Y'all comin?
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:11 am

Mark Erelli's 'Here & Now' from 'Hope' got airplay on Thursday on BBC Radio 2 - Bob Harris again which is great - Mark's music deserves a much wider audience.

I understand that plans are in motion for a European Tour in 2007 so I suggested on BH's website that he gets Mark in for a live session on the show which would really help to spread the word.

So hoping he makes it over here next year, I'll be first in the queue!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:27 am

Great news, Jela! Looking forward to seeing Mark Erelli and Lori McKenna this coming Tuesday night! :)

KarenZ

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:57 pm

Karen, I'm so jelaous of you and Paddy. Lori and Mark are great together. Maybe talk to them after the show and remind them of what Mark Knopfler and Emmylou just did....just plant a little seed in their heads......
Peter

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:03 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Sometimes it takes one extra listen to really get a CD. I have liked Mark Erelli's new one "Hope And Other Casualties" plenty. Some songs more than others. Heard it here, heard it there, usually driving with too much other stuff in my head to distract. UNTIL YESTERDAY that is. It was quiet time, outside in the driveway, cleaning my car out. Sun Shining Hot. Just Me, Myself, and Mark Erelli. I heard it like never before. It's Great.....

And he's coming Tuesday to a stage near me with Lori McKenna.

Y'all comin?

Just wonderin who's in for this show with Mark Erelli and Lori Mckenna?

So far it's :
Paddy and co.
KarenZ and co.
Patti and co. a definite maybe

Hope to hear from y'all if you're coming out for this one.
TIA..............and if your shy.....Private Message is always fine by me.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:44 pm

The Mark Erelli/Lori McKenna show was wonderful. But the highlight of the evening for me was finally meeting Patti Dalton after all these years that she and I have been communicating via e-mail. Probably 6 years. :) And just recently we both lamented that we'd meet "one of these days". What a sweet surprise. :)

The second biggest surprise was that Lori had a band. :)

It's been 6 years too since my last visit to Eagleview (Ellis did a show there in June 2000 or 2001) and I was amazed at how much the planned residential community had grown. The concerts are held outside at the town center and it was noted by more than one person that last night's show attracted the largest crowd ever. I can't say it was my favorite environment....it's family oriented and lots of young kids were there to have fun, not listen to music...which was rather distracting for we listening purists. That aside, it was still a night of great music...and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.

Mark did 6 songs:

untitled new song
undone
snowed in
here and now
imaginary wars (with Lori helping on harmony and Mark on mandolin)
the only way

After a short break, Lori did:

Mr. sunshine
bible songs
silver bus
your next lover
witness to your life
pour
monday afternoon
fireflies (no EP harmony :( )
I know you (?)
stealing kisses
red dress
one kiss goodnight
Encore:
Pilgrim Highway (a Mark Erelli cover with Mark on mandolin)

It was quite a pleasure meeting Paddy's wife Pam for the first time and chatting with Paddy again. :)

Juat got home a bit ago and have lots to catch up with (again)...so I'm closing here for now. May add some other details later.

Oh yeah....I forgot to pack my camera. :oops:

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:20 pm

Karen and Paddy it was SO great to meet you both, well worth the seven hour car ride.!! (another seven to get home today) While I did like the atmosphere of the place I have to say I didn't dig the HUGE speakers and somewhat loud band.... I tend to like the more acoustic shows. I'm sure Paddy will keep us posted about more music shows there in the future... It is a great little setting in a pretty hillside community. And boy is Paddy and his wife, ever the hostesses with mostestess!! Thanks for your hospitality. I look forward to doing it all again, soon!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:54 pm

Karen, It was great to see you again and I know what ya mean. I can say that the crowd seemed more attentive for Lori McKenna than any other performer this summer. I cracked up when you told me your chairs were set up on the front row until you saw the full band setup and decided to retreat to the relative safety of 50 feet away. Glad you came to your senses and moved closer for Lori's set. Course you chose the least comfortable chair of the nine I'd set up but I wasn't about to have you move again. It was great to meet your friends Bill and the RX'rs from Jersey. I must have seen their photo on the forum because I felt as tho I'd met them before.

Patti, Great bumping into you as well and I still can't believe you found me. Guess wearing this EPLP comes in handy afterall. By your PM description, I was about to start asking half the ladies out there if they were from Boston. :roll: We were happy to host the first of what I hope to be many gatherings at Eagleview Concerts on the Square. With any luck we'll get to see Ellis there next summer. :wink: Please tell Susan hello for me and if she's up to it, the finale is Tuesday Night with the music by Entrain and a Fireworks Finale by HankinGroup.

Funny story, after all had left it was me and " the camp ", and one other couple. We sat and chatted the better part of an hour. They said over and over they thought all night long we were "with the band". Well, I guess when ya got it, ya got it. :lol: They told me they definitely want to sit with us this week for Entrain and Fireworks.

I thought the show was both amazing and disappointing. Mark Erelli was the best I've ever heard him. He just played too short a set. I could not believe how good his music sounded with only his small acoustic guitar and the fellow who joined him on bass guitar. They sounded just like the record on one of the songs. Mark looked so cool in Cowboy hat and shades. Dripping cool, actually. :wink: I found it both BOLD and funny that he played Imaginary Wars in a setting too similar to the one he complains about in the song. Lori had joined him for that one and I could swear they were sharing the inside joke that they were roasting planned communities in song to a crowd inside a planned community. Lori left the stage and I saw her smiling big as if to say, " did we really just do that? "

I was thrilled to finally see LORI play live and my only problem with her set was the lack of time for her to play ALL my favorites. The band sounded great tho I have always wanted to see and hear Lorne Entress play with Lori and Mark. I was not that thrilled with the more country sound of a couple of the new songs she did but I guess I was just expecting her to come out and play old songs. ALSO hoping for a more intimate and acoustic show.

Overall she sounded great and the sizeable crowd seemed to really appreciate her music with the band led by Mark Erelli. I loved it when she told the story about her hubby looking at BOATS in Boating Magazines. The punchline to her story was just too funny........

Great to meet her backstage. She's just so warm, friendly and down to earth. I'd hoped we might have had them stop by our site after the show for a cold one ( lord knows there was enough ) but Lori has 5 kids to raise and the Surburban was heading back to Boston shortly after the meet and greet wound down. It was nice to see Mark Erelli again and the way he made a point of coming over to say goodbye to old friends among us just proves once again what a genuinely nice guy he is.

Keep an eye on the schedule for 2007 guys and gals and hopefully we'll be able to do this again. :D

ps - Patti - thanks for the offer about Stone Soup and how Bill Deasy might find a new audience there someday. That'd be great. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:07 am

Wow. Mark was wonderful last night opening for Chris Smither at a packed house at the Club Cafe in Pittsburgh. Sadly, he only had time to do five songs, but they were all knock-my-socks-off. I took a friend with me who hadn't heard Mark before, and he was blown away at the first song. Thankfully the crowd was extremely attentive (they aren't always for openers) and very receptive. They whooped and clapped for an encore, but alas, their wish was not to be granted. :(

The way-too-short setlist:
1. undone
2. nameless new song - I wrote down "the way it feels" (Mark says he sorta calls it "alone")
3. imaginary wars (on mandolin)
4. the only way
5. another new one called "hope dies last" - WOW

After the show I had a chance to speak to Mark for a minute or two. He commented how pleased he is to know that his "the only way" was chosen to be included on Ellis Paul Essentials.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:05 pm

Karen - thank for the report. His set seems short but sweet!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:41 am

Folks,

Mark Erelli is today's in-studio guest on WUMB's Live at Noon!

Click here to listen to WUMB online.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:45 pm

Wow....today's WUMB Live at Noon with Mark Erelli was another good one. After performing "the only way" Mark talked about the song being his mission statement and that he's gonna keep on performing it. Then he commented about how excited he was when he found out it was included on the new Ellis Paul Essentials....especially when he saw that it fell between "Maria's Beautiful Mess" and "conversation with a ghost". He said that having Ellis and Vance record it on side of the road was a big thing...so having it on Essentials was even more so.

Also....he said this is his first public announcement of a forthcoming lullabyes and love songs CD he releasing - just he and his guitar - mostly cover songs (Tom Waits, Deb Talan, Jeff Foucault, Kris Delmhorst) but a couple he wrote himself. He recorded it at home late at night mostly while his wife was sleeping...so he says it's played and sung very quietly. It was inspired by having so many friends having or expecting new babies...as a gift he could give them...

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:32 pm

Folks,

Mark's latest project, a CD of lullabyes and love songs called Innocent When You Dream (the title from a Tom Waits song) is now available. According to Mark's latest newsletter, the CD will not be sold in stores, but will only be available online or at shows.

MarkErelli.com

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

ghost in the closet

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 am

We fell hard for Mark Erelli around the time we discovered Ellis.

His CD Compass and Companion begins with GHOST.

Lots of great music since from ME, but ya never forget your first.

GHOST continues to be my wife's favotite of Mark's songs.

I remember hearing him do it live, once, a long time ago.

Hopefully it'll appear in a setlist near you soon.... 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:08 pm

Mark played BeckyG's Winter Wind series in Norman, OK on Sunday. Even though Oklahoma was still feeling the effects of the ice/snow storm from a couple days earlier, Becky told me that 66 folks turned out for Mark's show....and he sold an astounding 51 CDs!

I think they liked him. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:16 pm

They've all got such wonderful taste!

Jela

Becky

Postby Becky » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:57 pm

Just wanted everyone to check out Mark's MP3 of the month...it's a song called "Coming Home"...the words are a poem by Oklahoma writer Jim Chastain. Jim interviewed Mark for an interview prior to his show here in Oklahoma...they met at the show and Jim gave Mark a copy of his book. Jim is on our Winter Wind committee...he also has a young son (7th grade) who is in a band here called Refuje. (www.refuje.com) They have gotten just incredible press here....radio, tv, papers, and have played at some of Oklahoma's best music venues. I think they'll go far.

Becky

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 am

FOLKWAX arrived today in my email box today and I wanted to share some of the good news there for fans of Mark Erelli. He's been nominated as 2006 Artist of the Year...we could all vote for him!!!!

Also, Hope and Other Casualties...Mark's stellar new record, came close to being nominated in the category of Best Album of 2006. More info:And the nominees that you have chosen for FolkWax Artist of the Year are (in alphabetical order):

Rosanne Cash

Guy Clark

Mark Erelli

Cathie Ryan

The Wailin' Jennys

Click HERE to Vote For Your Choice for

FolkWax Artist of the Year 2006
And FolkWax Album of the Year 2006!

Voting will be open until midnight, Sunday, February 11. These are some great artists who have all had a large and positive effect on the music we love in 2006. We look forward to announcing your choice for FolkWax Artist of the Year in our February 15 issue. Don't forget to vote!

FolkWax Album of the Year 2006

We had many, many great albums nominated for the final ballot. We had many great albums nominated that were not released in 2006. Thanks for reminding us how great those albums were, but they could not be on the ballot. We would like to mention some who received multiple nominations, but not enough to make the final ballot. Among those were Jack Harris' Broken Yellow; Todd Snider's The Devil You Know; John Flynn's Two Wolves; and Mark Erelli's Hope & Other Casualties. All of those fine albums were close to making the ballot.

And the nominees that you chose for the final ballot for FolkWax Album of the Year are (in alphabetical order):

Black Cadillac - Rosanne Cash
Seven Is The Number - Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer
Shaken By A Low Sound - Crooked Still
Silver - Hanneke Cassel
Workbench Songs - Guy Clark
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:00 am

My vote has gone to Mark Erelli - not that that will suprise anyone!

As to albums - Richard and I both agreed on 'Black Cadillac'

Look forward to seeing the results of the polls in due course.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Jela....been lukewarm to Roseann Cash lately...but gosh...so much high praise lately in polls and award nommies...it sounds like she's turned up the heat for this one and I should get a little closer to it to see for myself.

I'll vote Mark Erelli too.....

On album of the year........don't know yet.

Guy Clark has been a fave forever. Not heard his latest tho.

Actually not heard any of the nominated albums.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:37 am

Folks,

WUMB has been doing it's Top-10 Countdown for 2006 all week and this morning they finally announced the artist at the top of the list....and it's Mark Erelli for Hope and Other Casualties. Congratulations to Mark!

Here's the Top-10 list:

WUMB's Top-10 for 2006

Karen

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:02 am

Way to go Mark, much deserved. Nice to see this honor bestowed.

Of the list......it's the only one I have.

I did see ABBY of Red Molly play a house concert with Antje Duvekot -
amazing talent - so I am interested in hearing her list maker.

The sound guys at Eagleview Concerts played Chris Smither's new record the afternoon they were setting the stage up for Lori McKenna and Mark Erelli. We were setting up "CAMP" in front of the stage and they had the sound cranked up a notch. I took notice, and asked them..."who is that?"

Gotta get that one too!!! 8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:57 pm

Well I'm delighted to report that 'Close your Eyes' from 'Innocent When You Dream' was played last night on (national) BBC Radio 2.

I sent an email in to the show (Bob Harris Saturday) and it was read out word for word!!!! I mentioned the award that 'Hope' received from WUMB, the fact that Mark's gig at SXSW was one of my 2006 highlights and how I hope that his desire to come back to the UK in 2007 comes off!

Wow!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 am

Folks,

I just had to copy and paste Mark's latest newsletter that just popped into my e-mail inbox below. I hope you agree it was worth sharing.

HEROES: I hold my musical heroes near me at all times. Some I have never met, and my only experience with them is as a listener and a fan. Others I have been fortunate enough to meet, if only in the briefest of encounters. I mustered up the courage to pass off my first demo tape to Jackson Browne during a chance encounter in a guitar shop before going to see him in Portland Maine. I was so nervous I told him "Mr. Browne, I'm sorry to disturb you but I want you to take this tape of my songs because you've expired me so much." I stood in line once to meet Steve Earle, and once it was my turn to talk to him, all I could think of that we shared in common was that I knew his sister Stacey...and he did too.

I remember doing a set before Richard Thompson, looking down at his acoustic guitar rig, and it was like trying to memorize every detail of an alien spaceship in hopes that I might be able to build one for myself later. David Rawlings let me trail behind him carrying some boxes of Gillian Welch cds, as he walked me backstage at the Newport Folk Festival. It took me having him play on two of my records and knowing him for about four years before I could even speak in full sentences around Boston guitar wizard Duke Levine. All in all, I've made a fool of myself in front of some amazing artists.

One of my earliest songwriting heroes is Bill Morrissey. His hardscrabble portraits of New England, entire novels condensed so unconsciously and artfully into three minute songs, floored me from the first listen. There was no way to know how old Bill was in real life, for when he sang he seemed impossibly old, craggy, wise and omniscient. When I went to college in midcoast Maine, I would drive through rural towns brought to their knees after the mills closed down, and think "I'm passing through a Bill Morrissey song." Seven years later, I met Bill one night when I opened for him in Northampton MA. Cliff Eberhardt invited me to hang out with Bill at his place after the show. It was Easter Sunday, and we spent a long evening drinking and trading songs. By the end of the night, he affectionately referred to me as "Grasshopper."

I recently learned that Bill is now at an inpatient rehab center, getting help to finally stop drinking. I would not normally discuss someone else's health publicly, but this info is posted for all to see at Bill's website, so I
am sharing it with you. As is usually all too true, this musical hero of mine is all too human, and I'm glad to hear he is finally seeking help with this addiction. I am selfish, I want more songs that blow me away, that make me strive to write better ones myself. I want to do more shows together, joining him for a song or two to play a guitar part I learned by heart in college. If I prayed, I'd say one for you, Bill. But we all have our own way of praying, and mine is to sing, and so I'll send out one of your own songs to you this month. And I'll look forward to another all-night (sober) jam, Grasshopper studying at the foot of the master.

MP3 of the MONTH: This month's track is a bare-bones cover of Bill Morrissey's "Birches," one of my favorite songs, period. It's available for free this month at http://www.markerelli.com. Please note: I have tried to make the process of downloading the mp3 of the month more intuitive, and you can now find it by clicking on the download menu on the music page.

THE SHOWS: This month, I have no shows in the States, but I'll be in Holland and France, touring as part of the American Treasures tour with Hayes Carll and Lynn Miles. I've never been to most of these venues and towns before (except Paris), so I'll forgo my normal witty annotations and just provide you the pertinent info. If you know anyone in these places, send them my way.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:59 am

Jela,

Mark's newsletter says the dates he's doing this month in Europe are with Hayes Carll and LYNN MILES! OMG! You lucky DAWG! (If you mentioned that to me, I forgot.) :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:49 pm

Karen, I too am on Mark Erelli's e-list and always find his words to fans very refreshing. He's so sincere and it shows how appreciative he is to be doing what he does for a living. I highly advise all fans and would be fans of Mark Erelli to sign up for his e-letters. I've been gettin them for years and always look forward to the latest news and mention of upcoming shows.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Karen, No I didn't mention Lynn Miles because there seems to be some confusion as to whether she will be on the Paris bill (with Hayes Carll and Mark Erelli) so we were not sure whether we'd get to see her or not. It'll be a bonus if she is on with them.

The Mark Erelli newsletter, as always, makes interesting reading and we too, wish Bill Morrissey all the best with his recovery. As you know he's another one of our favourites and we so enjoyed his concert at Passims on 28th December.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Jela,

I too enjoyed Bill's Passim show and was gratified to read that he's taken steps on the road to recovery.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:The Mark Erelli newsletter, as always, makes interesting reading and we too, wish Bill Morrissey all the best with his recovery. As you know he's another one of our favourites and we so enjoyed his concert at Passims on 28th December.

Jela

herve

Postby herve » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Hello everyone,

unfortunately, Lynn will not be in Paris with Hayes and Mark.

See you guys!

Herve

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:25 am

Herve - we are so looking forward to the Paris show, see you soon.

Jela + Richard

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:19 pm

Our Paris trip was great and Mark was just superb. Pomme d'Eve is a lovely venue for acoustic music and we were made to feel very welcome by Herve (merci). The room which is like a cellar, was virtually full, only a couple spare seats in the back row (where we sat) which meant that I could move along as need be to get the best view. I guess there were approx 50 people there. Richard took some pix which I hope he'll post up soon.

Mark was co-billed with Hayes Carll, they shared the stage, both sitting throughout and as Mark said, he lost the toss so he was up first.

They took alternate turns and Mark, throughout also accompanied Hayes, usually with guitar although three times it was the mandolin and once, the harmonica.

The songs Mark played were:
Set 1
Undone
Evening's Curtain
Imaginary Wars (told a story of how as a young boy he used to pretend that he was a superhero, Batman, Spiderman etc and despite what Guy Clark says (in 'The Cape') he couldn't fly!)
Birches (by Bill Morrissey)
Bend in the River
Volunteers (new song and hopefully it will be the MP3 next month - don't miss it, it's a goose bump song)

Set 2
River Road (a request and he had to look up the lyrics on his website during the break to make sure that he could remember them)
Troubadour Blues
I'll be here in the morning (by Townes Van Zandt)
Passing Through

Encore
A case of you (by Joni Mitchell)
Encore 2
The Only Way

He is a wonderful musician and a really nice guy too, very sincere and judging by the number of people who bought 3 or 4 CDs each he's a hit with anyone who gets to see him live.

Musn't forget to mention Hayes Carll - very different in style to Mark - we have his CD 'Little Rock' which got a lot of airplay by Bob Harris on Radio 2. We caught him last year supporting Buddy Miller and had also seen him in Austin. Like him too. He also played a couple of Bill Morrissey songs in his set list - apparently BM had come out of hospital/rehab on Sunday and is making good progress.

It was a fabulous evening, one of those that I just wished could go on and on and on. Don't know when I'll next get a chance to see Mark in concert but the memories of this one will keep me going a while. Oh, he told me that he has nine new songs ready for the next CD release - can't wait for that!!!

Jela (still swooning!)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Oh, Jela....your swooning made me laugh out loud. :D

So glad to hear you had such a great time and that Mark was so well received. Herve's place is special....like being in a crypt! Talk about "if these walls could talk"! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:43 pm

True to his word, Mark Erelli has made his MP3 of the month a new song 'Volunteers' - if you are able to, download it and have a listen - it's a very moving song and really captures the spirit of the times.

See http://www.markerelli.com

Jela

Return to “Looking for My Friends”