Chuck E. Costa

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Chuck E. Costa

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:49 am

New artist on my radar thanks to the music playing at Starbucks the other day. In line to order coffee, this tune piqued my interest. An inquiry led to the compilation disc (Off The Clock) this artist and song appear on.

Chuck E. Costa ~ When The City Comes

He's from Madison Ct. and my favorite artist/tune on the disc. Hey, it's like deja vu all over again. :wink:

Starbucks played American Idol with it's nationwide employees, allowing the musical artists among them to submit songs for consideration. The best of the best made the record.

Can Ellis get a drink started for us? :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:40 am

Well, no wonder I like the sound of Chuck E. Costa's "When The City Comes" on the Starbucks compilation. I almost never take the time to look at liner notes anymore......but I took a closer look at this one.

Duke Levine handles the guitars and mandolin.

Lorne Entress handles the drums and percussion.

Fine background vocals by Indra Rios-Moore.
Richard Gates on Bass.
Chris Haynes on Piano.

I'm hooked I tell ya, I am hooked. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:45 pm

When The City Comes is up on Chuck's myspace. 8)

It's the song that made the Starbucks compilation "Off The Clock"

Chuck E. Costa on myspace
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Paddy,

Listening to 'Amazing Grace' right now......oh my!! :D

Loving it!!

Thanks.....I think? I might have to lift my moratorium on buying. :? 8)

Annie

p.s. edited to add, he sounds a bit Damien Rice-ish.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:24 pm

I'm likin it, too! :D

Never got much further than the 1 song on the Starbucks disc but the other tunes on the myspace page are really good. See he made Kerrville's New Folk, too. 8)

Chuck E. is a fresh voice delivering an interesting mix of unique, intimate and honest songs. He draws on a range of influences to create music that defies common labels like "folk-pop." Chuck’s songwriting explores subtle yet significant themes with the tacit goal of challenging his audiences to think (or re-think) about what is often taken for granted and his honest enthusiasm continually permeates audiences at each live performance. His powerful and sincere vocals (comparisons range from Jonathan Edwards to Michael Stipe) and acoustic guitar delivery seamlessly complement the lyrical content of the songs. He has shared the stage with artists such as Rosanne Cash, Andrew Bird, Pete Seeger, the Weepies and Peter Case
paddy

motogirl

Re: Chuck E. Costa

Postby motogirl » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:26 am

chuck e is awesome, just won the Rocky Mountain Folks Fest a few weeks ago! Hopefully we can all see Chuck when he opens for Ellis next May at Me and Thee Coffeehouse in Marblehead MA.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:41 am

Welcome aboard ~ Motogirl!!! :D

Being two places at once, if only I could. Would love to be at Me and Thee next May when Chuck E. Costa opens for Ellis Paul. Enjoy the show, and by all means, post a report, and, let Chuck know he's got fans in Philly. :) Hope to see him play out this way if and when the stars align. Til then, a great big CONGRATULATIONS to Chuck E. Costa on the win at the Rocky Mountain Folks Festival. 8)

Little Boxes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS2xtQ5IDvo

Counting and Measuring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pyys1f2jds

Able
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvfJOUkCYk
paddy

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Thanks for the tip! I've checked Chuck's website and bought his recent CD from CDbaby and downloaded the older ones from eMusic. Also sent $50 as a support for his new disc.

Great discovery!!

Hervé

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Check out Chuck's website and download his monthly mp3, "America". Can't sound more like Ellis than on that song!!!

Hervé

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:37 am

Herve,

Thanks for the tip about the song. I guess I can hear some resemblance..... Actually he sounds more like Don Conoscenti to me. :)

I see on his tour schedule that he's doing a show with EP next May at the Me & Thee Coffeehouse. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:54 am

Good morning, all.....just wanted to share this short story about singing to kids.

by Chuck E. Costa

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

people music.

i led 2 workshops this morning; a group of pre-k and another of k students. i've led a lot of songwriting workshops for kids before, though, never with groups this young. with the older kids the goal of the workshop is to write a song over the course of an hour.

today, with these younger ones, i decided to sing some traditional folk songs and talk to them about who it was that wrote the songs and the context in which they were written.

singing these songs today, "this land is your land," "oh, susannah," and "yankee doodle," i truly felt, for the first time ever, like a link in a long chain. i felt my arms locked with woody guthrie's, stephen foster's and richard shuckberg's (credited with having written the first verse of yankee doodle.) i was breathing their breath as these words and melodies were coming out of my mouth. i was peeking through an open window into the past...and the future...maybe outside time altogether. it wasn't a mystical experience but it definitely was transcendent. and most definitely unexpected!

these children who i thought would be running around within 5 minutes slamming on one of the various percussive instruments i handed out, instead were mesmerized. they sang along, listened intently and then asked me to play the songs again as soon as i finished them.

these guys just knew how to write a song. i feel that they are kindred spirits and it is when i play and hear these songs that i understand "folk music" as "people music." music for everyone. music that never dies...even long after their composers do.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 am

Yahoo serious!

Just this minute saw that Chuck E. Costa has booked a show with Kate Klim in my neck of the woods. :D

February 28th, 2009 at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square, Pa. (a suburb of Philadelphia)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am

Chuck is welcoming suggestions to help finish a new song titled Gettsyburg.........any Civil War buffs out there? :P

See Chuck E. Costa at home sing Gettsyburg

Chuck E. Costa video ~ At the Drawing Board
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am

Here's a review of Chuck E. Costa in a french magazine......can anyone here speak french? :P You can get the gist of it and most notably a few artists' names you're sure to recognize...... :wink:

4 star review by Jacques-Eric Legarde

Also want to mention there's a show somewhere on Ellis' schedule that has Chuck E. Costa opening..... 8)

Ah, here it is.........May 1, 2009 7:00 PM Me & Thee Coffeehouse w/ Ellis Paul Marblehead, MA
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:04 pm

A few hours and counting til we see Chuck E Costa for the first time...... 8)

He's at Burlap and Bean with Kate Klim tonight!

Represent Philly!!! :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:17 am

Just in from the show tonight where Chuck E Costa and Kate Klim swapped songs for 2 plus hours to an appreciative SRO crowd. Happy to report they do it again in late May at Steel City Coffee House in Phoenixville, Pa. and advise marking calendars, saving dates. See him whenever and wherever he's playing. He is simply amazing and tonight had the crowd listening in pin drop quiet..... wow. 8)

He was caught by surprise that someone in the crowd had a request.... :wink: It took a bit of retuning his guitar and digging in his pocket for finger picks to play When The City Comes and it was as beautiful live as it was the first time I heard it in line at Starbucks on the Off The Clock CD they were playing overhead. It's where it all started for me, that day, that song. He said he hadn't been playing it much lately and warned it might be something of a train wreck version. He absolutely nailed it. While tuning, Kate Clim gladly plugged it as being on one of Chuck's CDs at merch and a song that had my stamp of approval. Whew....so much pressure!!! :P All I could think was this song better be as good as I remember it and I hope Chuck can play it through. Well, he played and sang an absolutely gorgeous version for us. Equally moving were Gettsyburg, Counting and Measuring, At the Drawing Board, Amazing Grace. The Goalie floored us. It's a spine tingling tribute to a childhood friend lost in Indian Summer. :cry:

Safe to say he sold a few CDs after the show. The line long and his time with each new fan seemed to bring new joy to his face as each got the chance to convey how much they enjoyed his music. I got the chance to talk about how I came to find his music in the first place, congratulated him on his Kerrville New Folk success, and mentioned his thread on this music forum. That's when his eyes really lit up, saying that a friend had told him about the thread here on Ellis Paul's website after a google search brought it to light. He was really appreciative of the support and excited about a couple of upcoming shows opening for Ellis. He thinks talking about him out here might have helped along the way, too. :)

He said the Starbucks CD made the Billboard 100 and was a great jumping off point for his career. It was great that the CD was sold in Starbucks everywhere. When I told him I almost heckled him tonight as I thought about asking him if he could make me a double tall latte....he smiled and said he could have!!!! He said he would have called it out right, too!!! :lol:

When I told him of a new fan he now has in Paris he knew right off I was talking about our good friend Herve :wink: and said Herve had been in touch and extremely supportive. He smiled wide that Herve had gotten him reviewed in a French magazine, donated to the fund raising efforts underway for the next CD project, saying "he's been great.....he even ordered a copy of my Christmas Music." (All Is Calm)

We had the pleasure tonight of the company of two newbies to the folk music scene. We saw them in the wayback and offered them the open seats at our table. Chatting before the show I got to tell them a little about why we here tonight.....and a little about just how excited I was to be seeing Chuck E Costa perform for the first time. After the first song they looked our way and smiled. By night's end, they were fans!!! And they had lots and lots of company. It's a beautiful thing to witness and a real pleasure to report....... :D

Don't even get me started on how Chuck E Costa rolled out of Newtown Square Pa tonight with my one copy of Antje Duvekot's The Near Demise of the Highwire Dancer. When he told me he was a huge fan of Richard Shindell and had yet to hear Antje's new one.....what else could I do?

Told him to keep it til our paths crossed again......I'd get another copy at Antje's CD release party show at Burlap and Bean March 27th!!! :D
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:09 pm

Great report Paddy - sounds like another fun evening listening to live music - you just can't beat seeing someone live for the first time who knocks your socks off.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Oh quite right, Jela!!! And on this night for the low ticket price of $5.....an absolute steal!!! :P

Picked up copies of his CDs and have loved the only one I've heard so far. It's his most recent to date called Where the Songs Come From and was smiling when a song came on that I recognized as Mark Erelli's "Hollow Man" -- a really nice rendition of the song.

I told Chuck last night I really liked his "tour bus" -- it was the only car in the lot with Connecticut plates and a big peace sign on the rear of the vehicle.....some irony to the make and model as he smiled and reflected that for now it's all about the focus.... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Here's Chuck E Costa at this year's Folk Alliance Conference in Memphis, Tennessee.

The Goalie
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks for the nice review Paddy. I hope I'm able to hear Chuck live sometime soon. I see that Kate Klim is opening a show for Antje at Passim's.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:09 am

Patti....Kate Klim played keys with Antje the first time I saw her live (Tin Angel a while back.) Where does the time go? As I recall Kate played keys and sang bgvox on a few songs. What I remember most about Kate, then and now, is that she plays and sings beautifully. I was amazed that she almost never had to look at the keys. Kate and Chuck were soundchecking when we entered Burlap and Bean and later heard the song they'd been rehearsing that had Chuck singing bgvox on one of Kate's songs. Kate's a natural singer and songwriter for sure and even teaches piano 3 days a week on the mainline around Philly. Her 3rd grade music teacher was in attendance, and a grown up Kate was able to sing her version of a popular Disney song (in shades of blue :shock: ) without worrying she might be sent to the principal's office for detention.... :P It was a highlight that had the audience in stitches and Chuck turning a few shades of red. Would love to hear reports from the Antje and Kate show..... 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 pm

New York Times article on how a job at Starbucks Coffee helped Chuck E. Costa reach a wider audience. 8)

by Tammy La Gorce
With a Latte in His Hand and a Song on His Lips
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:22 pm

Chuck E Costa on the Folk Show with Gene Shay right now on WXPN Philadelpia. The show just started at 8pm edt so if you get the chance stream wxpn 88.5 fm to hear a recent interview and perfomance. The spot with Chuck E Costa is still ahead.

http://www.xpn.org/music-artist/xpn-stream
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:48 am

Apologies for getting the info up so late Sunday night on the radio spot with Gene Shay..... :oops:

Great interview and 3 songs live in the studio......At the Drawing Board/Battened Hatches/Silly Old Songs?

Here's a youtube of Chuck E Costa at the Postcrypt in NYC:

Battened Hatches

You Never Did Anything Wrong
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Hello Boston -- Chuck E Costa will be performing at Toad in Cambridge on Tuesday, March 24th at 8pm.

Best of all there's no cover!!! If ya make the show, please post a report..... :wink:
http://www.toadcambridge.com/home.asp
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:03 pm

More on the amazing Chuck Costa/Joe Crookston concert last night at Godfrey Daniels to come..... :wink:

I wanted to shed light on a song that Chuck covers that captures the relationship between a travelling singer songwriter and those listening.

I love this song! 8)

America is on the mp3 player

America
by ???

I pack up the car
Turn the ignition
I've got my guitar
And my intuition
I follow the signs
And obey the rules
Cuz I've got the time
But everything to lose
Oh, as I drive across
America
I know you're watching over me
As I drive across
America
You're hearing every song I sing
America
America
America
America
Well I see the light
The light of day
I don't know what's right
Or what I should say
Cuz I've got a dream
But I don't know how to fill it
It's not what it seems
But I feel your spirit as I drive across
America
I know you're watching over me
As I drive across America
You're hearing every song I sing
America
America
America
America
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:42 pm

I'm feelin the luck of the Irish today as it's now officially up on Lois and Greg's House Concert myspace that Chuck E Costa will open for Eric Taylor when he plays Lois & Greg’s House Concert in Belvidere, NJ. on March 29th at 130pm. Hope folks near enough can stop by for an afternoon of music by two singer songwriters that both won the prestigious Kerrville Folk Festival's "New Folk" competition exactly 30 years apart.

That's right folks, Eric Taylor won in 1977 and Chuck E Costa won in 2007. 8)

Here's a link to Lois and Greg's House Concert myspace page.
Eric Taylor w/ Chuck E Costa

Do I sound excited about this one? :D
paddy

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 am

<
When I told him of a new fan he now has in Paris he knew right off I was talking about our good friend Herve :wink: and said Herve had been in touch and extremely supportive. He smiled wide that Herve had gotten him reviewed in a French magazine, donated to the fund raising efforts underway for the next CD project, saying "he's been great.....he even ordered a copy of my Christmas Music." (All Is Calm)

Yep, but I owe you big time Paddy, as I would have never heard of Chuck if you had not posted about him here :-) I hope the French reviews and posts on my blog will help him get some audience over here.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 am

Paddy's comments and high praise sure have me keeping an eye out for Chuck E. in my neck of the woods!

Nice to hear from you Herve! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Awe shucks, Miss Kitty!!! :wink:

Herve, have heard somewhere it takes a village. Great to hear from you!!! It took me waaaay too long to hear more of Chuck's music than it normally does. Took almost two years to get a record in my hands. I think some call those senior moments.....but one that lasts that long? :lol:

After hearing 3 out of 5 of his releases, I still can't get enough. His debut dropped in 2002 and is out of print. I need a copy! The limited edition All is Calm (Christmas Time tunes) is sold out as well. What I have dove into so far are these releases: From The Rooftops|Never Seen A Jaguar|Where The Songs Come From and I am eagerly awaiting the 6 song EP At The Drawing Board that should be out soon.

Chuck asked fans to help contribute to the recording of the latest project, then The Iguana Fund associated with Club Passim awarded him a grant to help out, too!!! 8) I have not just been pleasantly surprised with his words and music and production on disc, but consistently blown away! It's happened for me a few times with artists like James Taylor, Steve Winwood, Robert Keen, Lyle Lovett, Eric Taylor, Nanci Griffith, John Gorka, Stan Rogers, Fred Eaglesmith, David Wilcox, Richard Shindell, Ellis Paul, Patty Griffin, Lori McKenna, Jeff Black, Bill Deasy and now Chuck E. Costa.

It's not so much that I find their music as their music finds me. When it does it's often been my way and pleasure to let others in on the joys of the sounds of their music. The pure joy of hearing something new that strikes me has been in my dna since my late teens when a friend introduced me to Joni Mitchell. And Neil Young a lil deeper than ever before. And Kenny Loggins and Jimmy Messina. I learned a thing or two about music, and the rest is, as they say, sweet history. My one problem with all this, to quote Ellis, is to tell the same forgotten story and wonder if it will fall on forgetful ears. I know it often will. Hec, I forgot all about keeping up with Chuck after knowing he had the the standout track on the Starbucks compilation disc "Off The Clock" from Hear Music. I consider the oversight a real chink in my musical armor.... :oops:

so I will forgive myself and do my best to make up for lost time...... :?

Herve, going back over this thread yesterday, I saw that six months ago you had pointed us in the directionof Chuck's song America as it was being offered as the free mp3 download. I missed that and kind of stumbled on the mp3 version on his site just a few days ago. Thanks for trying to help me see the light back then. I see the light now. Hec, I hear the light, now. I had to go to an online dictionary to learn the defintion of dulcet, a word often used to describe Chuck's voice. I like what I found there.

dulcet:
Adjective dulcet

Sweet, especially when describing voice or tones; melodious; harmonious.
Generally pleasing; soothing; agreeable.
(archaic) Sweet to the taste.

YUP!

:wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Just rec'd this email from Lois and Greg's House Concert in Belvidere, NJ. -- I'm sure this went out to all on their email list. I attended one of their house concerts (Jeff Black thread here on the forum) and they are wonderfully gracious hosts that are into the music and sharing it with others.

Just wanted to let you know, that we are pleased to be able to announce that
not only is Eric Taylor going to be performing on March 29th, but Chuck E. Costa
has agreed to open for Eric. Consequently, the show part of the day will begin
a little earlier than originally posted. We expect Chuck's set to begin at
2:15-2:30 and Eric's show to start around 3:30.

This is going to be a great show! Check out Chuck's My Space - I'm sure you'll
be as excited as we are!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:52 pm

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:50 am

Folks.....just realized an oversight on this thread. The New Folk competition at Kerrville refers to artists selected to compete as "finalists" -- but when I glanced at Chuck E. Costa's bio and saw the honor I mistakenly crowned him a winner. While he is in my book, the record will forever show that while he was a finalist -- he was not one of six crowned "New Folk Winner" -- although I bet he finished a strong 7th :wink:

Mea Culpa! :oops:
There, I feel better now! :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:02 am

Here's Chuck E Costa performing In The Weeds at the Postcrypt Folk Festival Columbia University on April 26, 2009.......
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Hope to see a report from the Ellis Paul concert at Me and Thee in Marblehead Mass. Friday, May 01, 2009. with opener (Chuck E Costa)
Me and Thee in Marblehead Mass.

For anyone in the greater Baltimore/Washinton DC/NoVa area Chuck E Costa will also perform on Sunday May 3, 2009 at Susie's House Concert in Gambrills, MD (my brother lived there years ago so I know where i'm going, sorta. :wink: ) -- I know someone who will be there for sure!!! :D

Here's a link to more information on Chuck E Costa's Sunday afternoon house concert in Gambrills, Md. ~ 130p doors ~ 2:00p music begins

Welcome May! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 01, 2009 9:40 am

SusiesHouseConcertSeries can be reached at the address below:

susieshcs@aol.com
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 02, 2009 10:09 pm

You tell 2 people and then they tell 2 people and then they tell 2 people...... 8)

Sunday's Chuck E. Costa house concert host Susie says:

My guests include Lorenzo Bertocchini, and his Apple Pirates (all the way from Italy), Erin Sax Seymour (from NYC). After the house concert, anyone that wants to ride to Baltimore to see them perform at the El Rancho Grande in Baltimore. Feel free to join the caravan!

I looked up Lorenzo Bertocchini and see he's shared stage with Bruce Springsteen and Elliot Murphy. On Lorenzo's website I noticed a photo of Radoslav Lorkovic.... 8) I saw Erin Sax Seymour in Philly last year with Bret Mosley in a NYC songwriter cirlce evening.

Okay, enough name dropping........this is going to be FUN! :D

Erin Sax Seymour myspace
Lorenzo Bertocchini myspace
El Rancho Grande in Baltimore
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun May 03, 2009 8:32 pm

Got another chance to see Chuck E Costa today at SusiesHouseConcerts and will post the setlist after this very special request to anyone who attended the Ellis Paul show with Chuck E Costa opening on Friday night May 1, 2009 at Me and Thee Coffeehouse in Marblehead, Mass.

Chuck set his guitar down on the street behind his car and long story short, drove off without it. It was two hours before he realized what he had done, and by then the guitar was picked up. He's hoping someone picked it up and is trying to get it back to it's rightful owner. If anyone saw an acoustic guitar in a hard case about half a block from the Unitarian Universalist Church located at 28 Mugford Street in Marblehead, Mass. please contact Me and Thee Coffeehouse or Chuck E Costa through his website.

Chuck told me the story within minutes of seeing him today after I asked him how his show in Luray VA went and also the show in Marblehead Mass at Me and Thee opening for Ellis Paul. He said he was really well received by both crowds but before he could go into great detail had to admit there was a bittersweet tale to tell about the guitar not making it into the car with him after the show in Marblehead. He's really hoping it turns up...and shared the sentimental value the guitar holds for him. Let's just say I hope, for Chuck's sake, a concert attendee saw it after the show at Me and Thee and picked it up for safe guarding. Being that it's the weekend, we figure maybe someone has it and that contact is forthcoming. Hope so. Thanks in advance for any ideas on Who/How/What/Where/Why/When we might advance the search should it not turn up soon.

On a guitar borrowed from a friend, we heard Chuck deliver a crisp 10 song set that won him even more fans.

setlist:

1. Restless Heart (new song)
2. At the Drawing Board (title track to the new release ep)
3. Battened Hatches
4. The Goalie
5. In the Weeds
6. Amazing Grace
7. I am Good Fortune
8. Gettysburg
9. The Answers (may not be so clear.....they may not be what you wanna hear)
10. So Many Things

I drove the 2 hour drive home from Maryland listening to two Chuck E Costa CDs. One was his 2002 debut that he gave me today (thanks Chuck) which is out of print (but shouldn't be :wink: ) as well as the new ep At The Drawing Board he had with him today ahead of it's official release.

Found myself wishing there was a slightly longer way home. 8)

Big thanks to today's host Susie -- as warm and down to earth as ya hope to find hosting these one of a kind shows. :)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon May 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Paddy what a shame about the guitar... let us know if he gets it back...

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 07, 2009 6:44 pm

I heard from Chuck's manager a few days ago and she says it's weighing heavily....as one can only imagine.

I've been doing my level best to keep eyes and ears on the internet for signs of it turning up -- to no avail.

A quick google search tonight reveals that the local paper in Marblehead has posted Chuck's letter to the editor:

Letter: Singer hoping for reunion with guitar
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 07, 2009 6:53 pm

still such a shame...

Paddy what kind was it...

maybe I can keep an eye out via the internet, on Craig's List Ebay...want ad...etc

How about the local police.. by chance someone just turned it in and it is in lost and found??

We just "lost" a digital camera at a restaurant and put up a $150.00 reward and not one call.. Taylor was so bummed out because of all the pictures on the memory card.. Lesson Learned... load them to the computer quickly!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 07, 2009 6:59 pm

yup...keeping good thoughts that someone has it in safe keeping waiting to figure out how to find it's rightful owner. I tried the local police dept. and so far no guitar has been turned in. Not sure I want to give out the brand of the guitar until someone comes forward with sighting of a lost or found one. I will let you know via private message though right afer posting this -- fingers crossed!!!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Chuck E Costa performs I Am Good Fortune at Lizard Lounge in Cambridge, Ma. with a little help from his friends:

Maureen Andary (flute), Rose Polenzani (glock, vocals), Billy Beard (drums) Sara Curtin (glock) , Dinty Child (glock..2nd verse), and off camera is Zach Hickman (bass), Charlie Rose (lapsteel) Chris O'brien (finger cymbals) Sub Rosa @ the Lizard Lounge 4.30.09
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Here's Chuck E Costa performing Battened Hatches at the Buttonweed Tree on 4/10/09 on the now missing guitar..... :cry:

Found this on Chuck's Facebook..........posted earlier today.

i had a strange weekend a couple of weeks ago. it was a study in opposites. i had a few of the best shows ever, played with and was inspired by many a new and talented artist and sold more CD's than i had in a long time.

also, my guitar was stolen...yes, my GUITAR... and my car pretty much died and is still in the shop where its been for over a week now.

i am good fortune

the clip above was recorded on the thursday eve of that weekend. it was a magical night at the Lizard Lounge w/ rose polenzani and friends. the point here is that it never ceases to amaze me how life always forces me to test the honesty with which i write my songs.

the song opens, "don't need good fortune. i am good fortune." believe it. -ce
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 26, 2009 9:56 am

Chuck E Costa performs this coming Friday night at Steel City Coffeehouse in Phoenixville, Pa. and you know we will be on hand to help him celebrate (a day early) the release of his incredibly amazing new 6 song EP entitled At The Drawing Board. I have had it playing in the car for weeks now and can't say enough good things.

Heard thru the grapevine that ticket sales are light for this show so if ya know anyone out this way (Philly) please drop them a line or two and see if they are up for seeing some live music this Friday in this promises to amaze triple bill of Chuck E Costa, Kate Klim, and Sisters 3.

Thanks Ya'll.

Steel City CoffeeHouse show
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Chuck E Costa's "At The Drawing Board" is out!!! :D

Fan funded with additional help from the Iguana Music Fund 8)

Breakdown of the Songs

AT THE DRAWING BOARD This song, like the album, is about acceptance. It is aims to embrace all of the imperfections and contradictions we are confronted with daily. An awareness that "perfection" is just an illusion can be quite liberating.

AMAZING GRACE A simple story of love at first sight and being awed by things divine.

COUNTING AND MEASURING A cautionary tale. if you can avoid the box they want to put you in your life just might measure up to your chilhood dreams; whatever they may be.

THE GOALIE A tribute to the unsung hero. i grew up in NYC where my buddies and i would play all kinds of sports in the streets in an inter-neighborhood league of sorts organized soley by us kids. i moved to NJ for high school and lost touch with many of them but would eventually learn that one friend, the goalie, had become a fire fighter in the city. this is his story.

WHERE ARE WE GOING? This is an interesting one to release at this time. it was written a few years back but does still, unfortunately, seem relevant. i share in the feeling of hope that so many others do with the new administration. however, only a few months into it we can already see a lot of the same old rhetoric and in-fighting that so hobbles leadership and progress in this powerful nation.

WALKED AWAY A story of a broken heart. about two individuals that just don't get one another. there may be a hint of sarcasm in the chorus, but I believe that the singer sincerely understands that, in the end, it may have been his own expectations that were the root of the problem and not his partner's actions.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 30, 2009 1:18 am

Just in from tonight's show at Steel City with Chuck E Costa opening for Kate Klim and Sisters 3.

A sadness inside me knowing what only a few others knew until Chuck told of his misfortune a while back that resulted in his guitar going missing. Having seen him enough times on his prized boutique guitar (made by Dana Bourgeois in Sunburst design and dubbed "Banjo Killer" for its propensity to sound as much like a banjo as a guitar) there was just something missing. Whatever it is I missed it and wished that the person who had first come across it on the streets of Marblehead, Mass. had been someone of good intention and done the right thing. Sadly, it's otherwise.

On his brother's guitar tonight - Chuck delivered a strong set of mostly new songs with a couple off the new EP At the Drawing Board and a handful of others yet recorded. Tomorrow night the official release party takes place near his Connecticut home with friends along to help fill out the songs and celebrate the event. We enjoyed the Official CD Release Party's Eve set which consisted of:

Color of a Restless Heart
At the Drawing Board
Amazing Grace
I Am Good Fortune
Battened Hatches (w/Kate Klim)
In the Weeds
Pockets (hey hey)
Answers
So Many Things

Surprising to me was the omission tonight of The Goalie and I'll chalk it up to a triple bill with time limitations placed on his set vs. the thought that he decided to obstain from playing it on the guitar he had with him tonight. When we talked after the show, I did learn that all three CDs he had for sale at merch were in fact recorded on the aforementioned missing guitar. There was something missing although we both seem to get past it by about the third song when Chuck seemed to find his groove and deliver a heavenly version of his own Amazing Grace. The young man seems to have it in spades and appears sometimes as though he's just as in awe of the greater mysteries of life and and it just comes through when he closes his eyes and opens his heart to sing. Man, what a voice...

He came out to sing harmony on one of Kate Klim's songs, and again....... 8)

The good fortune: there may be a deal in the works that has Chuck back playing a Bourgeois Guitar again only this time with the small boutique guitar company stepping up to sponsor him to show how the guitar works well in the singer songwriter genre as the guitar is primarily used as a bluegrass music guitar. Chuck has changed all that and I see only good things for just such a partnership. There will still be steep costs involved in acquiring the new guitar, as insurance coverage is minimal and the guitar company too small to just give him the guitar. He's trying to do the math, and wondering if reaching out to fans might be an option to consider. The new release was funded by fans and Club Passim's Iguana Fund. How many times can you go to the well is the obvious question he faces. What the right answer to that question is is really anyone's guess right now.

What I do know is that Chuck is excited to have a planned getaway in a cabin deep in the woods to set about recording his next full length release. The upside is a chance to relax with no time constraints as he and a bevy of musician friends go about the joys of making new music with recording equipment in place. I told him it sounded so very James Taylor circa Mud Slide Slim ~ We both had to smile. :wink:

Good luck out there in the woods, Chuck....can't wait to hear the next new one...and the next. Thanks for the smiles!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:36 pm

googlin around found a few words about Chuck E Costa

Chuck E Costa at songs:illinois
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Chuck E. Costa performs In The Weeds at Rocky Mountain Folks Festival

Chuck E. Costa performs this Friday 9/11 at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square, Pa. (Philadelphia) in an opening slot for David Mead

Hope to see a good turnout for this amazing artist! :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:19 am

I Know Better from a stop on Chuck's Summer Texas Swing.

I love this song.....
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”