David Gray

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

barb62

David Gray

Postby barb62 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:52 pm

Did anyone every hear of David Gray? I just bought his "Life In Slow Motion" CD and it is fantastic. I really like his style. I just found out about him recently.

barb62

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:13 pm

Barb,

David Gray came across my radar screen a few years ago when his song "babylon" from White Ladder came out. There were a couple songs on the CD that I really liked, but I must confess, I really didn't give it the "minimum 6 listens" rule. A friend gave me the follow-up CD, (whose title totally escapes me), but I don't think I ever played it...so I can't say that I am very familair with his music. Just mostly that one song ("babylon") that got alot of airplay. He's a Brit, so maybe Jela will chime in. Although, I understand that she and Richard only like Americans. (Escape for that one-off Richard Thompson.) :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:52 pm

Barb and Karen,

Allow me to jump in...same story as far as discovering David Gray
at the hit song Babylon and that record. I was awestruck at that batch of songs and OCD' d for quite awhile. I figured it would be hard for Mr. Gray
to follow up with something anywhere as good. I was pleasantly surprised
with the next one too. I don't have the new one....not sure I will, but hope to give it a listen someday. Strong recommend for White Ladder.

Notes about DG: he had a career going before he broke big, tho it seems his songs were written and performed on keys. It was when he switched to the picker poet style.....that he took off.

2 things about his performances that crack me up.

first is his drummer.....fantastic on skins and percussion btw; always contrasting fashion sense as he's always wearing the coolest wildest
hawaiian style shirt, in stark contrast to what David and others are wearing. He's back their doing his thing, oblivious to all others, but steady keeping the beat.

Lastly, David strumming his guitar and bobbing his head looks to me as tho
he 's possibly a fan of John Gorka and borrowing his style a bit.

In short and in closing.......love David Gray music.

Hope this helps.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:24 pm

I think David Gray is the name of the performer that Ellis mentioned when talking about "When You Breakdown" appeared in the TV Show ED. Ellis said people were on DG website trying to find out about the song. So even though I don't beleive I have ever heard him, (not familiar with the Bablyon song) I'm thinking there must be something about him that sounds like Ellis.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:45 pm

David has never really reminded me of Ellis, tho oftentimes, I was reminded of Van Morrison on I believe the second album. The followup to White Ladder with the hit Babylon on it. Similarities was less his vocals and more that feel of Van's music when he goes into a dreamlike sound. You know, the Irish Rover's way of sending you sweetly into an afternoon nap when it's just you and the couch or bed and pillow and Van.......zzzzzzzzz
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:12 am

Yes, do know David Gray's music - he's Irish (don't count him as a Brit tho' ) and before becoming big in his solo right he wrote songs for others including Mary Black (another Irish woman who we have seen in concert a few times) and it was nice to see him succeed after many years 'in the background' so to speak.

His music (don't own any CDs of his) is very instant and often when I like something immediately I then find it doesn't have a lasting impact for me.

Another Irish musician, in a similar vein, is Damien Rice and his CD 'Oh' is great - needs to grow on you (good sign) if you saw the film 'Closer' with Jude Law, Clive Owen and Natalie....forget her surname.. then you would have heard the song 'Blower's Daughter' which is stunning. In fact it's what made me buy the CD.

There's a lot of good music that's come out of Ireland over many years and they seem to really take to singer/songwriters. In fact Josh Ritter made it big in Ireland first and Slaid Cleaves, when he was starting out used to busk in Ireland. Excellent folk traditions there.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:22 am

Oh Jela...too funny. "blower's daughter" got so much airplay on WYEP that I came to truly hate it. There were times when I would be at work and when the opening notes of it would come on the radio, I found myself literally jumping up screaming "oh no!" and running from my office. At the end when he's singing "can't take my eyes of you" ad nauseum, I want to strangle something. :lol:

Oh, the power of radio.... :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:34 am

Whoops - there you go! I think it says something about how we respond to music - much greater pleasure to be had from discovering someone/something for yourself rather than have it imposed upon by someone/something else but radio is a great medium and some of what we hear we'd never catch on to without it first having some airplay.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:21 am

Oooh. I think I need to go find my Damien Riced CD! I love Blower's Daughter. :D

My buddy Todd does a pretty great cover of that song and Cannonball. 8)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:29 am

To quote our Lauren again:

EEE!!!!

:lol:

Karen

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:32 am

I need to find my copy of Oh now. I liked it plenty new, tho not top to bottom. Then I put it away. Saw Damien perform it one night on Letterman type show. In a word, intense. Then, at the end of the movie Closer on dvd there is a bonus video of the song. Damien is at the beach, I think. At any rate, and in two words: dripping cool
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:00 pm

well I never heard of Babylon - but I just ordered that CD. I don't think David sounds like Ellis, but I think he has a very unique style (atleast he does on his newest CD -"Life In Slow Motion." On one song, he actually sounds alittle like Bob Dylan. The song "You're the One I Love" is fantastic and that song is on his new LISM CD.

barb62

barb62

Postby barb62 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:34 am

wanted to let everyone know, that I did receive David Gray's first 2 CDs and thought they were okay. His latest though, "Life In Slow Motion" CD is incredible and I would reccommend this to all of you. It definitely stands out as one of my best CDs! Don't worry though, noone will ever come close to Ellis - he is in a leaque of his own!

barb62

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:40 am

Barb....very interesting....and more proof that my theory that the first CD one owns of any artist tends to always be the favorite. We need to do some serious research :!: :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:15 am

How true! The first CD one owns of an artist being a fave. Seems artists' works grow and change along with their fans. Could be Barb that had you heard David's WHite Ladder release when it was shiny and new, it might have resonated more with you. It was Awesome when new, and I have to agree that I find it okay now too....Will have to check out LISM soon....
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 am

You might be on to something Karen; Sweet Mistakes, my first EP CD is still my favorite.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:21 am

From my own expereince, I know my theory has some validity. ;) I guess this means Stories is my favorite Ellis Paul CD then. Oh my. Did I just say that? NO :!: They're ALL my favorites :!: :lol:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:39 am

Karen...we have similar Stories to share.. :!:
paddy

paddyinthepub

david gray on concert.tv

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:32 pm

barb62 and all fans of David Gray music:

If you have Comcast cable....see if you have an On Demand section that is called concert tv. OnDemand/music/concert tv/performances

In my neck of the woods is a live concert featuring David Gray.

I'm 4 songs in and it's sounding great. The truly hilarious visual for me whenever I see David Gray on tv is that all band members dress nice in gray suits except for the drummer who ALWAYS sports a Hawaiian shirt.

Enjoy!
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:25 pm

Thanks Paddy, I'll try that. I live in South Jersey so I can probably view that concert!

barb62

stacyx

Postby stacyx » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:11 pm

I've heard of him. Sadly, only "Freedom". I was collecting songs that were played during the show <I>Alias</I> and managed to get ahold of that one song.
May the road rise up to greet you, the wind always be at your back and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil realizes you're dead.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:19 pm

barb62 wrote:wanted to let everyone know, that I did receive David Gray's first 2 CDs and thought they were okay. His latest though, "Life In Slow Motion" CD is incredible and I would reccommend this to all of you. It definitely stands out as one of my best CDs! Don't worry though, noone will ever come close to Ellis - he is in a leaque of his own!

barb62

Hey Barb...I see now what you mean. I've been listening to David's latest today and I'm sure if I had heard it first I would find his earlier stuff a bit dated. "Life In Slow Motion" is really great and further evidence that David has grown as an artist and songwriter.
paddy

bostonianfolkie

Postby bostonianfolkie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 am

I feel the absolute opposite about David Gray. I LOVE his early stuff - especially his first two discs, A Century Ends and Flesh. "Shine" is one of my favorite songs ever! His third album was a step in the wrong direction but when he came out with White Ladder he got back on track. I like a lot of the songs he writes these days, but the electronic element is not my style so I prefer the older stuff. Great songwriter and a great performer live!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:17 am

Welcome BostonianFolkie!!!

I'm with you on David Gray in alot of ways. His first 2 discs I have not heard beyond some sampling somewhere, it was in a slightly different vibe and keyboard driven as I recall. When he mixed it up a bit and went to acoustic guitar driven tunes (where the money is...LOL) it all came together for White Ladder. I fell hard for ALL those songs and actually didn't give much time to the stuff that followed. When I did go back and soak it in, it's just rich with background and most enjoyable. I don;t know if it's better than White Ladder, but it is different enough to either grab you right away( if you're new to his music ) or leave you with the feeling that the old David Gray stuff is a notch above the new stuff.

Either way, good tunes from a very talented songsmith. He cracked me up when I caught him on TV for the first time, a few years ago. I think it was his Austin City Limits performance. Something very JOHN GORKA-ish about the way he was strumming his guitar and bobbing his head to the beat. I got a big 'ol kick out of that.

Thanks for signing up and chiming in. :D
paddy

bostonianfolkie

Postby bostonianfolkie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks paddy!

Even though the style isn't my thing, "White Ladder" is a great album...especially considering he made it in his apartment! I saw he and his band live when that album from released in the USA and was one heck of a great show.

I haven't been a huge fan of his last two albums but I must say he still writes some gems. "The One I Love" easily gets caught in my head when I hear it on the radio and "This Year's Love", "Sail Away", and "Babylon" are great tunes! He did a thing for ITunes which is an interview and some solo performances - worth the buy for devoted fans.

Anyone who likes emotional love songs with sparse instrumentation (strumming acoustic, a little electric, piano) would like his early stuff. And it is always neat when someone who you followed when no one knew them becomes a star!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:13 pm

For fans of David Gray, there's a 17 minute long downloadable (free) podcast with David in studio talking about music and career stuff. A short concert clip of him playing "Babylon" unplugged.

His tour dates are all across the pond right now.

Here's the link to his website....

http://www.davidgray.com/news/
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”