Patty Griffin

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Patty Griffin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:24 am

Folks,

Patty Griffin's new CD Children Running Through is due out early next month, but if you pre-order it now from Barnes and Noble you'll get an exclusive B&N version containing two bonus tracks that won't be on copies sold elsewhere! I just pre-ordered and it was only $15.67 including S&H.

Here's the link:

Patty Griffin's new CD at Barnes & Noble

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:22 pm

Patty will appear on Letterman on Thursday Feb. 8th at the Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York City. Her CD Release Party is being held two days earlier on Feb. 6th at Angel Orensanz Center, presented by Artist's Den. It seems fans are being allowed in for free based on email requests on her website. If you are in the NYC area, and interested, here's the link:

http://www.theartistsden.com/rsvp/pattygriffin/
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:33 am

Ordered this yesterday...thanks for the link KZ..and updated free tix link for her NYC show this Thursday, Feb.6th at 7pm. at the Angel Orensanz Center.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:55 pm

The chance to win a pair of tickets to the NYC show did not pan out for me. I got an email from the presenters, "Artist's Den." They informed me straightaway in the subject line, "Not A Winner for Patty Griffin Tix."

They did provide a link for a pair of tickets up for auction at Ebay that has proceeds going to one of Patty's favorite charities.

Current bid: $300.00 :shock:

It's for a good cause. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:42 pm

If you happen to be in the Philly area this coming Friday, and free for lunch, Patty will be performing for free at World Cafe Live as part of radio station wxpn 88.5 fm's "Free At Noon" concert series. It will also be available on streaming audio and later in the NPR archives.

You need not be a member, though they would like you to be.

Simply reserve by visitong the station's website at:

www.xpn.org

Ya mo be there!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Folks,

Here's a last-minute reminder that you can catch Patty on Letterman tonight. I doubt that I'll be awake to watch, but hopefully one of you can post a report tomorrow. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:20 am

I was all set to watch Patty on Letterman via Tivo this morning. Someone, I'm not naming names, came home late and switched over to CNN. :shock:

Good news......here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS9QzklnAJ8
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:49 am

She's awesome. Thanks Paddy.

Karenz

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:52 am

I'm glad you posted that Paddy. I watched her last night just so I could report back, but since I am unfamiliar with her music, I couldn't even say what song she did. :oops:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:02 am

Youtube saved the day for me. I turned in early with the knowing that Tivo would capture the performance on Letterman. What I did not know was that a certain someone - again, no names - would come home late and change the channel.

Even to fans of Patty Griffin, this song is a bit unfamiliar, since it's brand new on her latest titled "Children Running Through."

I hear it's one of her best....should arrive any day, thanks to the Barnes and Noble link provided here by KarenZ.

So thanks to you two, too.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:21 am

Bonnie, the song is "Heavenly Day". :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 am

Just a reminder ~ Patty is live on the radio today.

www.xpn.org

Gotta go!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Patty on the radio

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Found this on another forum...and wanted to share.

Patty Griffin performed on KCRW's " Morning Becomes Eclectic" this morning. You can see the entire performance on kcrw.org. They usually keep these performances up for a few days.

www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb070212patty_griffin

They offer audio and video versions of the show.

I only got audio...... :?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:23 am

Folks,

Two things.

1. Patty's performance of "Heavenly Day" on Letterman can be viewed on YouTube here:

Patty Griffin on Letterman

2. In keeping with today's trivia regarding Martin Luther King, just a comment that on Patty's new CD Children Running Through there's a song titled "Up to the Mountain (MLK Song)". It's one of my favorites on the CD. Here are the lyrics:

"Up To The Mountain (MLK Song)"
I went up to the mountain
Because you asked me to
Up over the clouds
To where the sky was blue
I could see all around me
Everywhere
I could see all around me
Everywhere

Sometimes I feel like
I've never been nothing but tired
And I'll be walking
Till the day I expire
Sometimes I lay down
No more can I do
But then I go on again
Because you ask me to

Some days I look down
Afraid I will fall
And though the sun shines
I see nothing at all
Then I hear your sweet voice, oh
Oh, come and then go, come and then go
Telling me softly
You love me so

The peaceful valley
Just over the mountain
The peaceful valley
Few come to know
I may never get there
Ever in this lifetime
But sooner or later
It's there I will go
Sooner or later
It's there I will go

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:45 pm

Patty Griffin is on Jay Leno, tonight!!!

Tuesday Night...11:35pm on NBC...check your local listings... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:23 pm

Any of you catch Patty on Leno last night? It was absolutely amazing. I was hoping she would perform a different song from her recent Letterman appearance and did she ever. An incredible live version of a song from her new release "Children Running Through" called "Don't Ever Give Up."

Same band as when I saw her last month in Philly plus a bass player.

WOW!!! :D

Jay said she has concerts this month in NYC and Boston. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 31, 2007 10:47 am

Folks,

Patty will be on the upcoming week's (June 2) episode of Austin City Limits. Check your local PBS listings.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:41 am

Folks,

A musical titled "10 Million Miles" based on songs by Patty Griffin debuts later this month at The Atlantic Theater Company in NYC. Written by Keith Bunin and directed by Michael Mayer (who just won a Tony Award for "Spring Awakening"), the new musical tells the story of a young couple whose relationship is tested during a road trip from Florida to New York in an old Chevy pickup.

Read more in the Associated Press story below:

Kennedy, Mark. Singer-songwriter Patty Griffin makes her musical theater debut — unconventionally.

The Atlantic Theater

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm

Set your tivos, Patty Griffin fans.

A taping of Patty Griffin in concert airs Thursday Jan. 24th, 2008.

From the "Artist's Den" series taped at Angel Oraenz Center in NYC.

It's on the OVATION channel.
Thursday January 24, 2008.
8pm and 11pm

Not sure I have the Ovation channel. Hope so!!! :?
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:10 am

Looking at the list of 2008 Grammy winners I see that "Children Running Through" was nominated for Best Contemporary Folk Album.

Congrats to Patty Griffin on a stellar album...... :D

Alas, she didn't win. :cry:

Steve Earle did. :?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Patty Griffin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Wow. :shock: Thanks to IllinoisBill for this heads up. Patty's album Silver Bell which was shelved in 2001 and never released can be heard in tis entirety here:

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/07/ ... ilver-bell

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 am

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Patty Griffin performs Live From the Artist's Den
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Folks,

Patty's new gospel album, Downtown Church, is being released on Jan. 26, but you can listen to it in its entirety between now and then at the NPR link below:

First Listen: Patty Griffin's 'Downtown Church' from NPR

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”