Jeff Black

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Jeff Black

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:20 pm

There are a number of artists in the folk genre that grab my attention, and Jeff Black is near the top of that list. I think it was his B-Sides album that first caught my ear and made me an instant fan. I've seen him in concert only once, at a little place in Roswell, Georgia called Swallow in the Hollow, and he was as amazing in person as he is on record.

A recent visit to his web site and discussion forum told me a few things I'd like to share with any of his fans here. There's bound to be a few.

Jeff has a new discussion group, in it's infancy, with a small handful of folks chiming in. They could use a boost in numbers. :wink: They seem a great bunch of folks, and they even mention Ellis Paul and Vance Gilbert in one of the threads. They covered one of Jeff's songs - What Do I Want - on their "Side Of The Road" release.

Be great if we had "sister forums" in the way "sister cities" occur. Anyway, looking at the site this morning I learned that Jeff has 4 songs in a new movie called "Steel City", which faired well at the Sundance Film Festival. Jeff is planning to release a "B-Sides Volume II" record this spring....as well as a new studio record he's gathering songs for.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:23 pm

I LOVE Jeff Black!! We had the honor of having him play in our series last year - hopefully we can get him back next year!! That was the first and only time I have heard him and instantly loved his music!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:25 pm

Here's a few upcoming shows for Jeff.....I think I have my eye on New Jersey on the 22nd.

02.13.07 Tulsa, OK All Soul Coffeehouse
02.22.07 Memphis, TN Folk Alliance 9pm, Nashville Room
04.21.07 Haverhill, MA New Moon Coffeehouse 978-459-5134
04.22.07 Belvidere, NJ Colby Court Concerts 3pm colbyconcerts@comcast.net
paddy

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:55 am

Man I wish the show in Tulsa was on a weekend. :( Maybe I'll have better luck next time!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:56 pm

Hope to see Jeff Black next Sunday when he performs in New Jersey.

The house concert info can be found at Jeff's website.

http://www.jeffblack.com

I took the leap and signed up on Jeff's forum today. My inaugural post allowed me a chance to introduce myself and list my faves. While the list was long, I had the chance to mention the fact that Ellis is up at the top of that list. :D

This just in.....from Jeff's tour dates page:

04.21.07 Haverhill, MA New Moon Coffeehouse 978-459-5134

04.22.07 Belvidere, NJ Colby Court Concerts
3pm;colbyconcerts@comcast.net
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:12 am

Belvidere, New Jersey bound later to see Jeff Black. Hosts Greg and Lois are thrilled to have Jeff stopping by the house to perform today...... I'll post a report later.

Lois says they have 19 confirmed guests and can comfortably seat 30. She was amazed at the distance we will travel to see the show, and softly hinted "the more the merrier".

A few words from the hosts:

Just a reminder - Jeff will be appearing this Sunday in a small, intimate venue - that would be our living room! Seats are still available. All information is on our website:

http://loisandgreg.home.comcast.net/

The weather is going to be beautiful, we have no flooding or traffic problems - the forsythia is blooming, the lambs are adorable. It's gonna be a wonderful afternoon in the country - make it even better, come and relax and listen to some great music!

Lois and Greg
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:33 pm

Jeff Black entertained the small and appreciative crowd on Sunday afternoon with his unique mixture of storytelling, songs, sense of grace and humor. Folks at the break commented at how amazed they were when Jeff's voice would change gears mid song - from soft and lilting to a heart pounding boom that would stop folks in their tracks, to say to themselves, WOW, where did that come from? And is this guy ever good!!!

Jeff entertained us with stories from his past: bike riding with buddies on hot summer days, his favorite job ever at a gas station, the time he opened for a mouse. His stories, like his songs, were well recieved. Okay, so we blew our first audience participation moment. A note to all future Jeff Black audiences.....when it's time for you to choose the entree at the Top Topic Diner...make sure you tell them to FRY IT!!!!!!! :lol:

At the break, I asked Jeff to play a song that's been in my head for days. The song, "Better Way" is from his latest "Tin Lily". He smiled wide when I told him how much the song has been hitting me lately. He said he loved the song too, and the really cool thing is the way the song can mean completely different things to people. ( "Like impressionistic art" is how one writer described some of Jeff's songs.) The "salty" lyrics and mixed company kept the song off the setlist for the day. Or did it? :wink:

After the concert ended and all had said their thanks and goodbyes, there sat the four of us. Gracious hosts Greg and Lois, Jeff Black, me. They asked if I could do them a favor. While saying "sure" my eyes and mind went to the 30 now empty chairs in their living room. So I said the first thing that popped into my head: "need help busting down the chairs?" Greg said "oh, no.....not at all...can you snap a photo of us with Jeff?" Which of course I did. Jeff got a kick out what I thought the favor was going to be....and laughed as he repeated my just spoken words "busting down the chairs". :lol: As I was about to say my own goodbyes, Jeff said "wait, I'm going to play that song for you, if you have the time". :D

And so it was that after an already amazing few hours spent listening to (and enjoying) this amazing artist, after spending some quieter moments chatting after all had left, it was about to happen. A very one on one performance of a current favorite song. It was a "Somebody Pinch Me" moment in this music lover's life. Jeff talked more about the song as he searched for the right key on his guitar. "It's really such a simple song" he said with a smile. Like it was a mystery to him how such simple lyrics could turn into so powerful a song. He went on to say "something just happened" in the studio when Sam Bush and friends got hold of it.

Jeff started and stopped the song twice, saying he'd been playing it alot lately on the piano and wanted to find the right key. He found it, and for the next few minutes, Greg and Lois and Jeff Black and I basked in the simplistic beauty of a soft and beautiful acoustic version of "Better Way".

As for the "salty lyrics" Jeff explained that he tried to find other lyrics that would work, but nothing "said it quite like those did." So it won't ever see radio airplay. I'm pleased as punch he left em in. :wink:

So thanks to Jeff for the great time Sunday afternoon. If you get the chance to see Jeff Black in concert, by all means request Better Way. Thanks again to Greg( Happy Birthday Greg) and his delightful wife Lois for allowing all of us a chance to see amazing artists like Jeff in such a warm and intimate setting. Great Job!!!

Setlist coming soon.......
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:57 pm

Town Topic Diner ~ Jeff Black ~ youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVkBrOjMPA

An oldie but goodie...Jeff as beatnik.....too cool. 8)

One more ~ Big Revival

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lHWejntSOU
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:40 pm

Just have to add this one, too.

Jeff Black ~ That's Just About Right ~ youtube

Is it just me or does Jeff at times look like Ernest Borgnine of McHale's Navy fame? Then of course with those glasses a little like Sir Elton John.

Do not tell Jeff I said this!!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl27Se3b1dM
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:25 am

I know a lot of folks, who live in a lot of places...except these:

Upcoming Jeff Black Trio Events

1/19/08 - Lincoln, NE - The Loft at The Mill
1/20/08 - Omaha, NE - Central Presbyterian Church
1/22/08 - Atwood, KS - Aberdeen Steakhouse and Pub
1/24/08 - Kansas City, MO - Knuckleheads Saloon
1/25/08 - North Platte, NE - North Platte Community Playhouse
1/26/08 - Moundridge, KS - Old Settlers Inn

If you know anyone in these parts, please pass this on.....

Thanks! :wink:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:25 pm

Hey Paddy,

I'm still not quite clear what exactly the Jeff Black Trio is. I posted this on his board, but his board is not quite as active as this one seems to be.

I hope to get the chance to ask him in person this wednesday when he plays Eddie's Attic.

I think Jeff is awesome!! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:42 am

Hey again annie...and again...Welcome aboard!!! :D

I've only seen Jeff Black twice....both memorable. 8)

First time was in your neck o' the woods at Swallow in the Hollow... :D

Second at a house concert series in New Jersey. It was there that I got a chance to meet and chat and have a beer or two with Jeff Black. What a genuinely talented, all around down to earth, easy to talk with, nice guy.

Remember to ask him to play "Town Topic Diner" and when he gets to the part about how he wants the chef to cook it -- holler -- FRY IT!!! :lol:

The Jeff Black trio??? I reckon he had a couple sidemen???

Hopefully you'll find a few words to say about his Attic show....enjoy!!!
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Hey Paddy,

I was at the Swallow Shows, both of them. I actually helped promote for Jeff. I love Town Topic, it's such a fun song!! :)

And yes, they don't come any more down to earth than Jeff.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, this seems like a great board!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:20 am

Jeff Black at myspace.....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=14056535

Currently on the player:

One Last Day To Live
Birmingham Road
A Better Way
Easy On Me

8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 am

Jeff Black is coming to my neck of the woods on April 19! Yay! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:35 am

There is good reason I say if I could have any super power it would be the ability to be two places at once. This is one of them. I've got Jeff's show at Jozart's in California, Pa. on 4/19/08 on my radar. Dave Pahanish is also on the bill that night, another guy I like the sound of, alot!!!

New music from Jeff Black.....yeah!!!

Jeff playing the Evening Muse in Charlotte, N.C. 11/17/07

Run -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0imEKjAxr54
Alice Carry -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNKHpn2VHnI
Miss Me -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJvPxzN6jg
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:50 am

Jeff playing the Evening Muse in Charlotte, N.C. 11/17/07

Run -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0imEKjAxr54
Alice Carry -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNKHpn2VHnI
Miss Me -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJvPxzN6jg[/quote]

Paddy,

All three of these are part of that DVD that I was telling you about, that is being so generously offered on Jeff's board. I have a copy, but don't know how, or don't have the equiptment to replicate. :(

I love the new songs and can't wait to see him tomorrow!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 am

annie

Thanks...I'll have to try and get a hold of that DVD. Ya say it's free over on Jeff's website? Seeya!!! :P

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Looks like Jeff Black's show tomorrow night at Eddie's Attic in Decatur, Ga. has him opening for Jeff Holmes, the frontman of "The Floating Men," a band that once backed Jeff Black in a really cool version of "Town Topic Diner." I watched the youtube video and was amazed by the vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVkBrOjMPA

Not sure the setup...but if Jeff Black is opening...arrive early!!! :wink:

Also, this from Eddie's Attic website...describing Jeff Black:

JEFF BLACK has written some of the finest songs ever performed on the Attic stage. As Billboard magazine noted, this Kansas City native is an artist of substance. He's a master songwriter and multi-instrumentalist who digs into tough topics with a gentle heart and robust, brawny vocals. His Americana songs have sweet and subtle melodies and poetic lyrics, and have been covered by the likes of Waylon Jennings, Sam Bush, and Ellis Paul. His most recent CD entitled "Tin Lily" is one of our favorites and features an all-star cast including Kate Campbell, Matthew Ryan, Sam Bush, Will Kimbrough, former Johnny Cash bassist Dave Roe, and former Steve Earle drummer Craig Wright. Fans of Richard Thompson, Bruce Springsteen, and Randy Newman will enjoy Jeff's music. We're really looking forward to having him back.

The obvious question I have right now???

Which of Jeff Black's songs has Ellis Paul covered???

I should know this.....but don't. :oops:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Here's a hint:

FREEDOM FROM THE DEVIL'S CHAIN!

:D :D :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Sometimes I'm an idiot, many of you know this by now -- John Gorka

DUH!!! I went back to the top of this thread and realized I said in the opening of this thread that Ellis and Vance covered one of Jeff Black's songs on their album "Side of the Road."

Great song!!! Great cover!!! 8)

What Do I Want
from the album Side of the Road

What do I want

all of my life
i've been tempted i've been torn
what's wrong and what's right
since the day that i was born
and god knows when i was lonely
i was easily deceived
what do i want
what do i need

knocking on wood
leaves me standing in the rain
so misunderstood
god i've lost my way again
through the darkness of old notions
it's such a pitiful reprieve
what do i want
what do i need

[chorus]
freedom from the devil's chain
freedom from temptation's reign
freedom from the overwhelming
feeling that evil never sleeps

i cross my heart
i am not the only one
and right from the start
everything under the sun
it dies by some desire
and faith to some degree

[repeat chorus]

i need to be free
i need to be free
i need to be free

Copyright Jeff Black/Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Co., BMI
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Man!! You guys are FAST!! :shock: :D

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Annie

I try to keep on my toes around here...or should I say prose?

:lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Annie

Hoping to hear about Jeff Black's show at Eddie's Attic..... :D

Til then...if anyone''s hungry and lookin for a fun lil place to eat....

Here's the Town Topic Diner in Kansas City...

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/200 ... souri.html

:D
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Well it was an awesome show!!

Jeff seems to be gettting better and better!

He opened with Run and then another new song I don't know the title of....
"What I would not do"?
Same old River
Holy Roller
Wandering Child
Noah's Ark
Easy on Me
Sunday Best
Gold Heart Locket
One Last Day to Live
What do I Want
Carnival Song
Town Topic
Some little ditty about a Chicken and an Egg?
Heaven Now

I had to leave before the end. I understand that they played 'round robin' style for another 45 minutes. But he did not play my request 'Better Way' so I guess that's ok. I understand he's going to be on a regular rotation at the Attic, so I'll catch Better Way next time. He played with Jeff Holmes of 'Floating Men'. I think he may be an aquired taste...I wasn't loving him. I understand he's better with a band. All in all, it was a fine show, and a fun night.

Definitely catch him is he comes to your town.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Annie... Jeff's song RUN is fast becoming a fave of mine ever since seeing that youtube of him playing it at Evening Muse and I can only imagine how powerful it is to see him perform it in concert, let alone as the opener!! :D I'm not surprised he passed on A Better Way but that's not gonna keep me from asking to him play it every chance I get. You gave it the ol' college try, right? :D I think there's a couple of things at play trying to get Jeff to play this one. One is I think he plays it more on Piano than acoustic guitar....and then of course he dropped the "f-word" into the song along with the BS word and while it sounds great on CD and live as well.....he might be afraid to offend folks out there who might take issue.

Something of a shame, really.....it's such a GREAT SONG!!! :wink:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:41 pm

Yeah, I thought about the f bomb, but then Jeff Holms dropped it at least onece, so I was thinking since he already broke the ice.......? Oh well, no such luck. It was a great show, and I am not complaining.

Annie :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:58 pm

Oh Annie, that's cracking me up.

Has me thinking maybe Jeff Holmes wanted to hear the song too and figured he'd break the ice..... :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Here's a link to an NPR interview with Jeff Black back in August of '05. I've heard about the once weekly podcasts he called "Black Tuesdays" but have never heard one. In the interview Jeff talks about his thoughts on soundboard recordings and bootlegs of his shows as well an old dream of running a pirate radio station.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4792688

Click "listen now" for the 8 minute interview...... 8)
paddy

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey Paddy and Annie and all

I was supposed to go to that house concert.in NJ and at last minute got lazy...

I love Jeff and have seen him many times as well..such a shame that he has not made the fame and glory he deserves.

Elle :o

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:11 am

Hey Elle

Arriving at the house concert in New Jersey felt like arriving at a holiday gathering of friends or family. Everyone so friendly to one another although few knew each other. And there was Jeff, hanging out, just like one of the family. It was a wonderful afternoon, and while attendance was on the lean side of things, the way Jeff played, you would have thought 100 folks had filled Greg and Lois' living room. He was his usual amazing self. :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Just wanted to share a notice I rec'd about upcoming live music titled:

5 good reasons to go on living..... :shock:

The author is in the music promotions biz in the Pittsburgh area. I kinda sorta know her from another artist's forum. Her byline here cracks me up, but hey, if anyone out there is down in the dumps, what better than music and even more so LIVE MUSIC to get your spirits back up.

She points to several concerts upcoming....most important to me, this one:

* On Saturday, April 19th it's Nashville Night at one of my favorite venues, Jozart Studios <http> in California, PA (45 minutes from the burgh). AcoustiCafe presents Jeff Black <http> & Dave Pahanish <http> with special guest, <http> Jason Kendall. Tickets are $12 adv. /$15 at the door and can be reserved by calling Jozarts @ 724-938-9730. This is Jeff Black's first Pittsburgh area show for a couple of years. Don't miss!!!

Calling on yinz livin in or around the 'burgh....represent!!! :wink:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Maybe you like your Sunday morning coffee Black?

If so...tune in to WUSB 10:00 am. Jeff will be live in studio.

http://wusb.fm/website/index.shtml

Have a great weekend all. :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Annie

Thanks for the reminder..... :D

Saw this on JB's forum but didn't save the date..... :oops:

Also of note......JB's appearance at Jozart's has been cancelled. :?
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:22 am

Also of note......JB's appearance at Jozart's has been cancelled. :?

I saw that Paddy.

Bummer :cry:

Did they ever say why?

Listening live now.....he's not on yet.

Annie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:08 pm

I listened in to most of this - good discussion and I heard a couple of new songs - the final song he played 'Remain' ?? sounded wonderful. He said that he written it just after the birth of his son and the death of his father. Would love to hear it again.

Thanks for the alert.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Missed it....DANG!!!

I'll go in search of the archives.

Annie....they don't say much more than the fact that JB cancelled.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:04 am

annieb wrote:Maybe you like your Sunday morning coffee Black?

If so...tune in to WUSB 10:00 am. Jeff will be live in studio.

http://wusb.fm/website/index.shtml

Have a great weekend all. :)

Annie

Once there: click on Our Programs/Sunday Street/speaker icon #2

37 minutes in: the interview with Jeff Black begins and it's a treat. Nice look into Jeff Black's early days and Kerrville Folk Fest and his brother's influence on his taste in music. (Of note, Jeff talks about Jerry Jeff Walker and Guy Clark) and oh yeah, Jeff gives a nod to Ellis Paul and Vance Gilbert's album of covers: Side of The Road 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:52 am

I am really bummed that the show at Jozarts - just a few miles from my home - has been cancelled. :(

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:52 am

I am really bummed that the show at Jozarts - just a few miles from my home - has been cancelled. :(

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:02 am

I was California dreamin for this one...I'm bummed, too. :? While Dave Pahanish is a fine singer songwriter from the area now livin in Nashville and the co-bill that night at Jozart's, I'll likely NOT drive in to see DP play without Jeff Black on the bill.

Of course, now I see that Bill Deasy has a full band show at Altar Bar in Pittsburgh on the same night -- 4/19/08

So much music....so little time. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:02 am

I was California dreamin for this one...I'm bummed, too. :? While Dave Pahanish is a fine singer songwriter from the area now livin in Nashville and the co-bill that night at Jozart's, I'll likely NOT drive in to see DP play without Jeff Black on the bill.

Of course, now I see that Bill Deasy has a full band show at Altar Bar in Pittsburgh on the same night -- 4/19/08

So much music....so little time. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Stumbled across this one tonight....... 8)

Gold Heart Locket ~ Jeff Black ~ Feb. '08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvO5MAnlo2Q
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 10, 2008 5:21 pm

If you're goin to see Dicky Betts or The Del McCoury Band on these dates please make note of the opener for these shows.

It's Jeff Black and he is amazing. :D
Current tour dates from his travelin page.....

05.18.08 Bloomington, IN (The Bluebird*) opening with Dickey Betts 8:00p
07.03.08 Jacksonville, FL European Listening Room 8:30PM Jeff Black show 07.05.08 Gainesville, FL Womble Concert Series 7:00PM Jeff Black show
07.12.08 Bloomington, IN (The Bluebird*) opening with The Del McCoury Band
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu May 15, 2008 12:41 pm

Steel City the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439833/

I so badly wanted to like this movie as it has four Jeff Black songs in it.

But alas, I didn't :( The best thing about the movie is the soundtrack. Jeff's songs are perfectly placed, although I must have had a brain fade somewhere in the middle, because I can only remember hearing three of his songs? The director used the 'blue lens' technique to try to convey the 'blue collar' aspect? It was sort of cheesy in my humble opinion. I love John Heard, I don't know what he saw in this movie....oh well maybe it's just me.

Having said that, it won't prevent me from giving it 5 stars at Netflix. I know that's cheating, but if it gets more people to hear Jeff's music......all's fair in love and music, right? :?

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Annie

Thanks for the candid review.....ya saved me some do re mi. 8)

I'll rent it in the "red box" for a buck. :D

Can't wait to READ your 5 STAR REVIEW.........You Go Girl..... :D

All's fair in love and music.........love it!!! :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:16 am

JB on ustream.tv

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/481951

thanks annie! :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:07 pm

Jeff Black in Floridaaaaaaah....... 8)

Upcoming Jeff Black Events
7/3/08 - Jacksonville, FL - European Listening Room
7/4/08 - St. Petersburg, FL - Studio@620
7/5/08 - Gainesville, FL - Womble Concert Series
7/12/08 - Bloomington, IN - The Bluebird - with The Del McCoury Band
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Wish I may, wish I might...... :(

The only silver lining in the Jeff Black drought, is knowing that he is busy in the studio on #5.....at least he better be 8) :) :wink:

Have a great 4th all!! :D

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:50 pm

Annie.......lookin forward to new release news, too ~ 8)
Had a great 4th despite the rain..... :)
Here's a Puremusic.com interview with JB dated 11/05

http://www.puremusic.com/pdf/jeffblack.pdf

Happy 4th, all!
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”