Vance Gilbert

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Vance Gilbert

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:09 am

Hey everybody,

Ellis' good buddy, Vance Gilbert, will be on WUMB's "Live at Noon" this Thursday, June 29 at noon EST. It will repeat at 12am on Friday, June 30. Click on the link below to listen.

WUMB - Boston

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:50 am

I edited my original post above when I realized that the repeat on June 30 is at 12am.

So try to isten in today at noon if you can! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:29 pm

I've been hearing tracks on WUMB from Vance Gilbert's new CD of covers Angels Castles Covers and am especially liking his take on Joni Mitchell's "a case of you". Anybody have the CD?

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:41 pm

I heard Vance's cover of one of the songs featured on this new CD. It was the song by Jimi Hendrix called Castles Made Of Sand and it sounded GREAT!!!

No, I don't have it yet and probably heard it last week on WUMB when we were on that thread.

On a side note, at 17 I discovered the Album Blue by Joni Mitchell and the song of which you speak: A Case Of You

I'm pretty sure it set the bar for what I was going to be listening for; for the rest of my musical life.

I'm happy to see Vance found value in this song as well.

Can't wait to hear his version of this classic song.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:54 pm

I hope this legal..... :P ......and okay with everybody :?

I simply could not resist.

And those planning to see Vance in Concert soon, feel free to print this page lest he shares more than friendship with Ellis Paul.....like say:

Senior Moments!!! :P

A Case Of You....by Miss Joni Mitchell...From the Album...Blue

Just before our love got lost you said
I am as constant as a northern star
And I said, constant in the darkness
Wheres that at?
If you want me Ill be in the bar

On the back of a cartoon coaster
In the blue tv screen light
I drew a map of canada
Oh canada
And your face sketched on it twice

Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
Oh and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you
I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Oh Id still be on my feet

Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
Im frightened by the devil
And Im drawn to those ones that aint afraid
I remember that time that you told me, you said
Love is touching souls
Surely you touched mine
Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time

Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
And you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you
I could drink a case of you darling
Still Id be on my feet
And still be on my feet

I met a woman
She had a mouth like yours
She knew your life
She knew your devils and your deeds
And she said
Color go to him, stay with him if you can
Oh but be prepared to bleed
Oh but you are in my blood youre my holy wine
Oh and you taste so bitter, bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
Still Id be on my feet
Id still be on my feet

Mmmmmmm
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:16 pm

Lili Anel will play Tin Angel later this month. :)

Opening for Vance Gilbert. 8)

Lili reminds me of Joan Armatrading, an obvious influence. She blew me away when I saw her at the Eagleview outdoor concert series last year.

Ya mo be there. :D
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:22 am

Vance is playing at Stone Soup this Saturday in Pawtucket RI. I am excited to hear him. Last fall he was working on some new songs for a CD. The concept was what would he sound like if he were trying to sound like someone else. (or something like that) The new songs sounded great and the CD should be ready soon!! Vance is like a Dunkin Donuts coffee "worth the trip" !!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:01 am

Gosh, Patti. Wish we lived closer to Pawtucket! Vance really is worth the trip. Great voice, charming, and a wicked sense of humor! He played the Pump House here in La Crosse a couple years ago and had everyone aching with laughter. At intermission, Michael was having a CD signed, and he asked for it to be to Michael and Cathy, Cathy with a "C." Well, guess what--our CD says "To Michael and Cathy with a 'C'"!! Enjoy the show! And if you hear anything about the new CD, please post!
Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:19 am

Listening to some sample tunes on itunes last night and was pleasantly surprised when "they" ended and were followed by a few by Vance Gilbert.

I think they call that "serendipity" or unexpected surprise. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 am

Patti and all,

Has anyone gotten the new Vance Gilbert CD Up on Rockfield - the concept album that Patti talked about a month or so ago?

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46 am

Karen and all

Haven't heard Vance Gilbert's new record, yet....look forward to report(s).

I remember how cool it was that Vance was on tour with George Carlin last year. 8)

Still hard to believe George Carlin is no longer with us. :(
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:52 am

thanks for the heads up Karen, I will get that ASAP. I didn't realize it was ready yet. Vance said it will be available on Itunes within a week or so... If you were to buy just one song for a sample I highly recommend Whatever Louise Wants....

Vance has a little tribute to George Carlin on his website.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:58 am

Patti,

I actually went to Vance's website yesterday to see if there was any mention of George Carlin and instead found the info about his new CD....so thanks for the heads-up today.

KarenZ

Patti

Re: Vance Gilbert

Postby Patti » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:13 am

I rec'd Vance's new CD the other day :P Can't get the Louise song out of my head. I also like House of Prayer, that he cowrote with Lori Mckenna.. I have only been able to listen it to it a few times but it is a keeper. He also wrote a song about Pluto not being a planet anymore..

Vance voice is beautiful, not at all what you expect to hear on a "folk" album, but if you like Vance's previous stuff, you will enjoy this...

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:33 am

Surfing youtube the other day I stumbled upon a rather lengthy interview with Vance Gilbert that takes place outdoors at night and sheds new light on Vance's career in music. Most interesting...enjoy!!! 8)

Part One: Stevie Wonder and Girls in Pajamas

Part Two: Influences

Part Three: Race, Ben Harper, and Crowe Jim

Part Four: Done My Job For Today

Part Five: College, Early Years, Losing and Finding A Voice

Part Six: Strengths, Weaknesses, and Words

Part Seven: What You ListenTo?

Part Eight: Last Words
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30 am

Folks,

Vance will perform on WUMB's Live at Noon today - 12pm EST.

WUMB

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Folks,

Vance live in studio tomorrow, March 5, 2009 - 4pm EST.

WUMB

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks Karen.....will try to remember to tune in......your post leads me to share this from Vance's website:

Hi Everybody,
Up On Rockfield is out and available. I’m doing a big album release show at the Regent Theatre in Arlington, MA on November 15th with Jeffrey Gaines. And we are in the midst of the hardest and most uncertain economic times since the Great Depression.

How do I possibly justify trying to convince you to come to shows and purchase albums? Who’d have the gall? And what kind of half-witted businessperson would even attempt to encourage entertainment spending in times like these?

Well, here’s what I figure. You, the fan, the consumer, are going to go out and do something. It may not be on as large a scale as what you did before, and you may not travel as far or stay over, but you’ll get away from the job, the TV, and the computer, if but for a few hours, and you’ll do something.

So the likes of me, Ellis Paul, Catie Curtis, Jeffrey Gaines and our acoustic brethren end up being your entertainment value. And we’re proud of that. One, maybe two, people on the stage telling our stories; sometimes telling yours, and not breaking your bank. We come to your towns, usually play where parking isn’t an arm and a leg, and our ticket prices are way reasonable. There’s usually cheap or often even free refreshments, no minimum, and you can buy a cd if you want to, or not.

Print, TV, and radio media space is all taken up with election and economy news, so it’s harder and more expensive than ever to get media time to tell you what’s going on in our musical world. That all said, I’ve decided to try something new….Folks in the Cambridge and Arlington area will see a commercial for my Regent Theatre performance and the new CD all over Comcast TV over the next three weeks. It’s expensive and I have no idea what it will bring, but I had to give it a try.

It’s been shown over and over again that entertainment takes a real hit in hard economic times. However this acoustic thing that we do seems to continue to thrive through the worst. I maintain an unshakable faith in all of us as we squeeze our George Washington’s and head to our voting locations. You’ll come to our shows because you need us and we need you.
Thanks for that,

Vance

http://www.vancegilbert.com/
http://www.myspace.com/vancegilbert

Here's a nice review of the new record:
Blurt reviews Up on Rockfield

I'm listening to the myspace stuff right now and basking in the sound...... 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm curious to know if the TV commercial was a success last fall.....and Vance sure does look different on the cover of his latest! :shock: (No more big hair.) :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Karen, I see a Pittsburgh date in April at Carnegie Lecture Hall --- 8)

Lovin Vance's new doo!!! :D
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:10 pm

hope I'm able to tune it tomorrow... would love to hear how Vance is doing... I was just thinking it has been far to long since I have last seen him live!! And nothing compares to a VG show!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:46 am

Check out Vance Gilbert at Blue Rock Studio in Wimberly, Tx. --- One thing's for sure, I have got to get me to a Vance Gilbert show and I have got to get down to Blue Rock Studio near Wimberly, Tx. for a show! 8)

Vance Gilbert at Blue Rock Studio January 8, 2009
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Vance Gilbert has 3 shows in Pa. coming up:

Apr 18 2009 7:30P
Carnegie Lecture Hall Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
May 2 2009 7:30P
Acoustic Brew Coffeehouse University Park, Pennsylvania
May 3 2009 7:00P
Puck Doylestown, Pennsylvania
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:53 am

paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:40 pm

i am horrified to admit it, but i really like the cee lo song. i know, i know, i supposedly have excellent musical taste, but it is just so darn catchy. and cee lo has a wonderful smile and voice.

i also like vance's response though. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Even with my taste in music the same 5 songs play on the car radio when my son is in the car with me. All black artists, most with eminem coming in to bring the song home. I kinda like those songs.

Not sure I have heard the Cee Lo Song. I might have seen some ink on the matter and how an artist can make a mint with a song like that. I had all but forgotten about Cee Lo and that song when along comes some old school guy to school the nu school guy.

Bee Lo Blue aka Vance Gilbert and a song called Kiss my A$$ is hopefully well on it's way to viral status out on youtube. In one day, just 24 short hours, I've seen the youtube view count go from 85 to 1925. That's the power of facebook. It's kind of like being at a professional sporting event where a small section of fans try to start "The Wave" ~~~~ sometimes it works, sometimes it fizzles, sometimes it get's the whole place rockin.

Go Bee Lo Blue
Go Vance Gilbert
Go non translucent fruit of the loom tidy whities

:wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:48 am

Wow. I'm really out of it. I never even heard of Cee Lo - let alone his song. (I don't ever plan to listen to it.)

There should be more like Vance.....

Out of it (and glad to be here) in Pennsylvania,
KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:32 pm

Now I am sure I haven't heard Cee Lo's song although I tried yesterday via Vance's link on his website. Ipad doesn't support flash player so I will check it out some other time. I asked our son this morning if he had ever heard of Cee Lo and the F&@# You song and was happy to learn he hadn't.

When I told Pam this morning that the Bee Lo Blue video was taking off on Youtube she voiced concern that those guys may not take kindly to the message delivered within. How there have been instances in the past where people got hurt, and worse, when east coast/west coast rappers took things too seriously and sought revenge for counter points in song.

I told her no way, if anything, they would find it as hilarious as the rest of us do. I mean really, the sight of Bee Lo on crutches and with an ice pack is just too funny to be taken too seriously. Vance comes across here with the kind of comedic timing that brings Bill Cosby to mind.

Update: this morning up over 2,500 views.

8)
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:22 pm

KarenZ wrote:Wow. I'm really out of it. I never even heard of Cee Lo - let alone his song. (I don't ever plan to listen to it.)

There should be more like Vance.....

Out of it (and glad to be here) in Pennsylvania,
KarenZ

i first heard the song as sung by gwyneth paltrow on glee. that is how i learn about all of the "hip" songs.

there is a g rated version, and it really is a great song. vance's parody uses the word a** and the clean version of the cee lo song doesn't have a single profanity in it.

the song is about a girl who dumps him because he isn't rich. there is nothing disrespectful to woman at all. the problem is the language in the uncensored version, not the sentiment.

Cee Lo Green - Forget You Lyrics

I see you driving 'round town
With the girl i love and i'm like,
Forget You!
Oo, oo, ooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough i'm like,
Forget You!
And forget her too!
I said, if i was richer, i'd still be with ya
Ha, now ain't that some shhh? (ain't that some shhhh?)
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Forget You!
Oo, oo, ooo

Yeah i'm sorry, i can't afford a ferrari,
But that don't mean i can't get you there.
I guess he's an xbox and i'm more atari,
But the way you play your game ain't fair.

I pity the fool that falls in love with you
(oh she's a gold digger)
Ooooooh
I've got some news for you
Yeah go run and tell your little boyfriend

(chorus)

Now i know, that i had to borrow,
Beg and steal and lie and cheat.
Trying to keep ya, trying to please ya.
'Cause being in love with you ain't cheap.

Now baby, baby, baby, why d'you wanna wanna hurt me so bad?
(so bad, so bad, so bad)
I tried to tell my mamma but she told me
"this is one for your dad"
(your dad, your dad, your dad)
Uh! Whhhy? Uh! Whhhy? Uh!
Whhhy lady? Oh! I love you oh!
I still love you. Oooh!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:24 pm

paddy,

i posted you tube videos on my facebook a few weeks ago, so you can have a listen.

they are CLEARLY marked so you can choose to hear one or both, but won't be blind sided by the grandpa words. :mrgreen:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:55 pm

From the looks of the lyrics to Cee Lo Green's song the Bee Lo Blue song is almost the exact same meter leading me to believe that it's almost a parody song the way Weird Al Yankovich might approach a popular culture mega hit song. Reads that way anyway, now I REALLY want to hear the Cee Lo song... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 am

Just announced yesterday on WUMB!

Join us on Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011 at 2:00pm, when special guest and singer-songwriter Vance Gilbert stops for an in-studio-interview with Jay Moberg!

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:18 am

Concert Window streams live from Club Passim for free and the lineup shows that the Vance Gilbert show tomorrow will stream live.

Concert Window/upcoming

8)
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”