The Hothouse Flowers

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

bonuela

The Hothouse Flowers

Postby bonuela » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:08 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:bonnie and pete.........

Hothouse Flowers will play Sellersville, Pa in late April. There is an old theater that hosts concerts....Sellersville 1894....is the venue.

Thanks to you two and this thread....which I love by the way.....I hope to check these guys out on record...and live in concert.

Where to start with their recorded stuff??? I understand the band U2 took them under wing at some point...and that's the extent of my HF knowledge.

I will have to check and see where/when they are playing near me. Thanks for the heads up!!

I have been a fan since the '80's. We all remember that far back don't we? :P Their first album is still my favorite. It is called HOME and it got a lot of radio airplay back in the day. They had a few hits with "Don't Go" and "I'm Sorry"

Here is their website. www.hothouseflowers.com They do have a Myspace page, but I find it to be lacking. :?

A bit of HHF trivia: Their first single, before they released an full length album, the band inclided a femal vocalist. Maria Doyle Kennedy. She was one of the singers in the movie The Commitments.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:25 pm

Geez...where have I been. I thought these guys were "new" on the scene.

Thanks for peaking my interest and starting this thread.

I was at their site a few hours ago and it hung up a bit....myspace was fine.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Hey Bonnie,

Hothouse Flowers had a US release before Home called People. Good stuff, but Home was a big step forward for them. I had some music from them that a friend from Europe had brought over, and it was never made available here as far as I know. Unfortunately that was the days before CD burning was so easily done, and I had taped it from vinyl to cassette. Long gone at this point!

paddy - check out Songs From the Rain also. Some good strong songs on that release.

Peter
Peter

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:59 pm

Thanks Pete. I was actually thinking of Please. I mixed up my titles. :oops:

I love love love It'll Be Easier in the Morning. The line "we've got light to lead the way" seems so simple, but the emotion behind it makes it sound like a revelation.

Flynn's old band Cliffs of Dooneen used to do a cover version of Hallelujah Jordan. I'm not sure they ever got the words right, but I always enjoyed hearing it! :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Looking for My Friends”