Flynn

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:50 am

Great show Saturday night !

And a nice shout-out to you Bonnie - the new CD will be out in April :)
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:29 pm

What a treat. Even though this was listed as a split bill, I figured it would be 20 mins of Flynn and an hour of Antje. We got an hour of each plus a duet!!

I brought 10 people with me, a personal best. :D Two of my friends did not know either musician and went because SusanH and I told them they'd have fun!! They did.

It seems that Flynn has finally settled on the name for that new song. It is Emerald Dream. He also sang one of the other new ones, Be Careful What you Wish For. Who doesn't love a song that starts off ....The only way out was the bedroom window....?

It was nice to see you Jeff, sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you. That wasn't so much a "shout-out" as a "shut up". I might have teased him incessantly every time his last CD was delayed because of American Jukebox Fables. He might have been afraid I'd yell out "April of what year?" If not, he should have been. I was about to. :oops:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:24 pm

Click Here for the pictures. Enjoy!

(I also posted them in the Antje thread)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Flynn's Jim Thorpe Feb. 17, 2007 show

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Folks,

Moving this here from another thread.

KarenZ

barb62 wrote:Hello fellow Ellis fans - I saw Flynn last night in Jim Thorpe PA and believe me when I tell you, it was worth the 3 hour drive! Flynn was exceptional - his energy on stage is incredible. He played many songs from his three CDs and also a few new ones that will be out eventually on his new CD.

I had the opportunity to talk with Flynn after the show and found out he had his second child, a girl, eight weeks ago. Seems like he and Ellis have alot in common on a personal note also! Flynn also has a 4 year old son who we hear on his song "Strange." Speaking of "Strange," I requested that song and Flynn was more than happy to deliver a very energized performance of it.

Just as Ellis in the past, Flynn has captured my soul and I will be a forever fan. Can't wait to hear more from this great artist - and by the way, Flynn is as nice as Ellis and it is a very refreshing thing to see.

barb62
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:31 pm

Folks,

Here's a link to 3 photos from Flynn's show last night compliments of Barb (McDonald) Mauer. Flynn is pictured with Barb and her children.

Thanks, Barb! :)

Flynn - Feb. 17, 2007

Karen
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks Barb for the great review and pictures. I am sooo jealous. This is one show I really wanted to see. We three Boston road warriors discussed this show, but fear of snow kept us home. :(

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Those photos are great, thanks for sharing them Barb.....and I have always loved the sound of the name of this town: Jim Thorpe, Pa.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

barb62

Flynn

Postby barb62 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:26 am

Dear Bonnie and Paddie,

I felt extremely fortunate to attend this great show - I had to call out from work, but it was well worth it since Flynn does not tour often like Ellis does. I still can't believe how nice he is and down to earth- no wonder Ellis and him are such great friends. I mentioned that we traveled 3 hours to see him, and he was shocked! He is so humble which is a great quality.

There was a lot of snow in Jim Thorpe, PA, but it wasn't that bad. We have no snow at all in South Jersey.

Barb62

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:26 pm

Barb, if you are in need of snow, we have plenty here, and it's yours for the taking. :wink:
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:08 pm

Paddy,
that is quite alright- you can keep the snow - I am definitely a warm climate person - this cold weather is not for me! Can't wait for spring and the outside folk festivals to begin - hopefully I'll be able to attend one this coming year!

barb62

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:00 am

Barb, I know what ya mean. Not crazy about the cold stuff either.

A couple in the thick of snow removal chores had the bright idea recently to offer their snow to any in need of it......on ebay.!.!.!.! :lol:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:50 am

Barb,

What was the show like? Was there a big crowd? Did they seem to enjoy Flynn?

Here are the videos from the Rose Garden show.

Be Careful What You Wish For: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGlieC53JNw

White: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIH2qyX2Uo

Breathless (w/Antje): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyU8ngli6Ok

barb62

Postby barb62 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 am

Dear Bonnie

The snow kept alot of people away, but the people there seemed to enjoy Flynn. Due to the lack of a heavy crowd, I was able to talk quite a bit to Flynn and I am amazed how nice he is. I posted on his website and he emailed me back the same day which I thought was great!

I loved the videos you gave me the links to - I did not have "Be Careful What you Wish For." I video taped the entire Jim Thorpe show except for the talking in between (I was afraid to lose battery life) and my husband transferred the video to my computer, then to my IPOD. I would love to send you the whole show if only I knew how. I'm not sure it is possible. You seem to love Flynn as much as I do. Feel free to email me at barb62@comcast.net and I'll be happy to send you more pictures.

What was it like to have Flynn play at your birthday party? Do you live close to him or did he travel far to be there?

I'm leaving for work now, but like I said before, I would be happy to send you the pictures I have.

barb62

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:49 am

I will email you with my info, thanks!!

He is in the Boston area and so am I. The party was at my parent's house in Sharon MA and he came from his vacation in Maine. It was a fun time and a really memorable one. He was wonderful with all of the friends and family. He took the time to talk to people and sign things and pose for pictures. Plus I got to choose the setlist!!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:50 pm

Bonnie - great video (just watched Be Careful Watch You Wish For - only missing the nice intro where he talke dabout driving to Presque Isle).

Much like Ellis, Flynn is very friendly, and pretty accessible after his shows. Always a treat to talk with.
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:53 am

Just watched these videos - Bonnie thanks for posting the links on here and giving me the opportunity to live vicariously (again!).

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:30 am

Flynn has been nominated for a New England Emmy. I did not even know there was such a thing, but good for him!! :D

http://flynnmusic.com/index.php?page=news

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:31 pm

Bonnie,

What good news! Very impressive! I wish the TV show aired in this area. :(

Does Cannondrop know? ;)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed May 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Flynn will be opening for Ellis in Kinston MA this Friday! :mrgreen:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Oh sure! Rub it in! :lol:

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed May 02, 2007 1:22 pm

KarenZ wrote:Oh sure! Rub it in! :lol:

KarenZ

**DING**

:P

Seriously, this is the first show since I have started to feel better. I am looking forward to a show where I don't feel the need to lie down and rest. 8)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 03, 2007 10:29 pm

Bonnie.....are you holding out on us??!! There's a new CD pictured on Flynn's MySpace. AND a new song called "the answer's not enough"! Spill the beans, girl! :lol:

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri May 04, 2007 1:09 am

KarenZ wrote:Bonnie.....are you holding out on us??!! There's a new CD pictured on Flynn's MySpace. AND a new song called "the answer's not enough"! Spill the beans, girl! :lol:

KarenZ

Unfortunately, I have no beans. Perhaps I will get some tomorrow night. :P

I can't even play the song on Myspace since I have dial up. :(

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon May 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Ok, so here's the deal.......

Flynn's new CD is in the mastering phase right now, so that means very soon it will be available to each and every one of you. :D

I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

barb62

Postby barb62 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Hey Bonnie,

I received an email from Flynn on Thursday night and he told me he just finished up his new CD titled "The Answer Is Not Enough." Can't wait to hear it!

Best Regards,
barbara

barb62

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed May 09, 2007 9:32 am

I'm so excited about the Irish Bard's new cd. I'm giggling in anticipation.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu May 10, 2007 10:58 am

There are some new pictures for The Answer's Not Enough HERE
Last edited by bonuela on Thu May 10, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 10, 2007 11:22 am

YOWZA.....some great photos for the new album. However will they choose???

Any faves girls?

remember...karen asked us to behave!!! :lol:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu May 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Paddy,

The album cover and the track listing can be found on his website.

www.flynnmusic.com

You might see a familiar collaborator or two. Not to mention the unexpected inclusion af a previously unreleased duet.

Hint: Why do you *$%^^# with me?
:mrgreen:

barb62

Postby barb62 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey Bonnie,
thanks for pointing out the new photos - they are great!

barb62

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri May 11, 2007 7:28 am

Whoa! This is a MUST-HAVE album!
(imagine, the infamous Cannonball finally released! :lol: )
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 11, 2007 1:01 pm

Hark!!!

I hear the cannon drop!!!

I mean roar!!!

:lol:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:18 pm

So I've had a sneak preview of The Answer's Not Enough and I am so excited that I can hardly contain myself!! I can't wait for you all to be able to hear it too. :mrgreen:

It is a great mix of genres. There is Folk and Pop and Rock, something for everyone. :-)

It has hints of Ellis throughout. He produced one song and sings on a few others and even co wrote some of them. Antje Duvekot collaborated as well. There are two versions of the duet Breathless.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Bonnie,

Wow.....I'm drooling. ;)

How much longer must we wait? :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Last I heard, end of summer. I'll let you know as soon as I do. You can get a tease on his Myspace. Orrrrrr if you happen to be a passenger in my car. :mrgreen:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:56 pm

The suspense is over, let the countdown begin!!!

There will be a CD release show at Club Passim on Thursday September 6th at 8pm.

I expect to see all of you there. Distance is no excuse!! :-)

http://passimcenter.org/passimcalendar/index.php

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:11 pm

Me thinks she's a bit excited. ;)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 pm

You can order your copy here:

http://www.cdfreedom.com/artists/flynn/ ... notenough/

Enjoy!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:34 pm

I think we should start a thread to discuss:

1. WHY the answer isn't enough....and

2. WHEN is the answer enough?

:)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:07 pm

KarenZ wrote:I think we should start a thread to discuss:

1. WHY the answer isn't enough....and

2. WHEN is the answer enough?

:)

KarenZ

Or, you can just buy the CD and read Flynn's answer to these pressing questions in the liner notes. :D

Has anyone got theirs yet?

I wish he had a discussion board like this one. :(

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:27 am

Bonnie,

I just placed my order at CD Freedom. I'll let you know when I get it, but I doubt I'll have it and have time to listen before leaving for WoodyFest next Wednesday.

You'd make a terrific discussion board moderator for Flynn. ;)

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:Has anyone got theirs yet?

I wish he had a discussion board like this one. :(

barb62

Postby barb62 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I received Flynn's new CD the other day and it is fantastic! It is great to hear Emerald Dream - Flynn sang this last time I saw him in Jim Thorpe PA. Speaking of Jim Thorpe, I already have my tickets to see Flynn in October thanks to Bonnie emailing me - thanks so much!

The CD is incredible with Flynn doing his version of She's The One and there is a song that Ellis and Flynn sing (the title has slipped my mind, sorry) and it is a "new" Ellis with a rock edge - very cool!

All the songs sound great and I know everyone will enjoy it as much as me. Buy your copy today!

barb62

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:01 am

The new Flynn CD was waiting for me when I got home from WoodyFest and I've finally managed to eek out a couple listens. Barb, the song with the rock edge that I think you are referring to is "No sympathy". All I can say is Cannondrop lives! :) Now I understand why EP calls Flynn the folk-rock legend. ;) I like the melody of "Emerald Dream" alot too....and the acoustic version duet of "Breathless" (lyrics by Antje Duvekot; music by Flynn) with Antje. More when I get a chance to give it a few more listens....

Bonnie....you go girl.....getting a thank you in the liner notes. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:35 am

Patti wrote:Just heard that Flynn is getting ready to play live on WERS at about 1:00 this afternoon. Not sure if it is over the internet but someone with a cell phone that has Boniie on their HOT list should be able get in touch. Wait a minutet why didn't Bonnie tell us about this (lol)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 am

bonuela wrote:Because Bonnie didn't know. :oops:

I'd love to hear a report if anyone heard it.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 am

Richard + Jela wrote:Bonnie, I listened in over the Internet. He sang three songs:
1. The answer is not enough
2. Emerald Dream
3. Be careful what you wish for

After the first song he talked about what he'd been doing since the release of his last CD and the latest one - talked about working/producing Ellis, writing with him and Antje and writing music for film 'Lucy Keyes'

Talked about how Emerald Dream was written last year when he was in Ireland. Inspiration for it was the living statues in Grafton St in Dublin, people dressing up as statues and moving to a different pose when someone puts money into their collection.

Be careful what you wish for - how most of it was written on the 6hr drive to Presque Isle with EP and AD and how they helped him to write the words. He said it was about a woman he'd met (at a gig?) except that she turned out to be really scary!!! To get the song they kept asking him 'well how did you feel?' and they were able to articulate the feelings in words suitable for a song.

Mentioned that in the fall he's going to be doing a slew of concerts in the mid west with EP. Mentioned the CD release party at Passims next month.

The reason he was on the radio was as part of a local music week. He also talked about how Ellis (altho' he called him by his real name, Paul, throughout) and he have completely different approaches to songwriting. Ellis very much starts with the words, Flynn with a melody. Says that he has concentrated on producing, writing for film so that he can stay at home, not that he doesn't like touring but that he doesn't do many shows.

That's about all I remember, I wrote down the song titles but nothing else so I'm relying on my memory for the content.

Just love his Irish accent - in fact anyone who speaks with that accent has me all a quiver! And he said 'Thanks a million!' such an Irish saying!

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:30 pm

If y'all needed another excuse to come to the CD release show, here it is....

Ellis will be joining Flynn for a few songs!!!!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:03 pm

IT'S JUST ONE WEEK FROM TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I'm a little excited. :mrgreen:

I just wanted to remind the locals that Flynn is playing his CD release show at Club Passim next Thursday.

There will be special guests galore. Ellis and Antje are confirmed and I believe he will have some bandmembers joining him. (I'm not sure on the band.)

Here is your chance to hear the new songs live and pick up your very own copy of The Answer's Not Enough.

Thursday 6 September 2007 8pm

Club Passim
Cambridge MA
www.passimcenter.org
tickets $15.00

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:03 pm

In addition to the big show at Passim, Flynn will be on local radio and t.v. tomorrow.

If you're in the area check him out. :D

Thursday, September 6th, 2007 8:00AM
FOX TV Morning Show
FOX 25 Boston

Flynn will perform tracks from his new album "The Answer's Not Enough" on the FOX 25 morning show. Sometime between 8AM and 9AM.

Thursday, September 6th, 2007 12:00PM Noon
WUMB Radio Interview
WUMB 91.9FM Boston, Worcester, Falmouth (91.7FM Newburyport)

Flynn will be interviewed on WUMB Radio to talk about hgis new album.
WUMB 91.9FM Boston, Worcester, Falmouth (91.7FM Newburyport)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:39 pm

I will definitely be tuned into WUMB's Live at Noon tomorrow! :D

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”