Vienna Teng

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

stacyx

Vienna Teng

Postby stacyx » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Does anyone else in here listen to her?

For those of you who haven't, you should check her out. She's got an amazing voice and her lyrics are just plain awesome.

Her site is at www.viennateng.com and there are samples of her music there. She also has a myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/viennateng) with four complete songs on it.

I was able to catch her opening for Duncan Sheik at the Somerville Theatre in September. And even got a picture (http://www.stacyx.com/images/Vienna90806.jpg)

Last.fm had this for her:
"With her graceful melodies and evocative lyrics, Vienna, 27, has garnered critical acclaim and a rapidly growing legion of fans throughout the world. Vienna returned in 2004 with her stunning sophomore release, Warm Strangers. The album is a diverse collection of lush, melodic songs, incorporating Vienna's classical background and folk sensibilities within a contemporary pop framework. Her 3rd album, Dreaming Through The Noise, came out in July 2006, with a set of compositions reminiscent of country, jazz, and chamber-folk, all together on one album."

And from Wikipedia:
"Teng took her stage name "Vienna" from the Austrian city famous for its musical history. She began studying classical piano at the age of 5, and continued while she was working toward her degree in computer science at Stanford University, which she completed in 2000. She began recording the songs for Waking Hour at Stanford's CCRMA studios while a student to distribute on campus. After working as a software engineer for Cisco Systems for two years, continuing to write and perform in her free time, she signed with Virt Records and quit Cisco to focus on her musical career.

Her first major national exposure was a 2003 appearance on the David Letterman show; she has also made appearances on the CBS Saturday Early Show, National Public Radio's Weekend Edition, CNN's NewsNight with Aaron Brown, and The Wayne Brady Show, and opened in concert for Joan Baez, Shawn Colvin, Joan Osborne, Sarah Harmer, and Marc Cohn. Her debut album, Waking Hour, peaked at #5 on the Amazon.com bestseller list; her second album, Warm Strangers, reached as high as #2. In 2006, Teng signed with Zoë/Rounder.

As of December 2006, she is touring extensively across the U.S. to promote the release of her third album. Highlights of this tour include co-headlining with Duncan Sheik and opening for Madeleine Peyroux.

Her songs have been featured in various projects, namely the TV series Ed and on the Discovery Channel. In addition, Teng contributed her vocals to the song "One 2 One" by hip-hop duo Magnetic North."

Songs I recommend:
Gravity (my personal favorite)
The Tower
Eric's Song (second favorite)
Blue Caravan
Pontchartrain
Recessional
Lullaby for a Stormy Night
Anna Rose
City Hall

Sorry to ramble so much. I just adore her and her music and want to spread the love.
May the road rise up to greet you, the wind always be at your back and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil realizes you're dead.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:24 pm

I like her voice. I only know the one song that they play on WBOS, but I don't know the name.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

stacyx

Postby stacyx » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:44 pm

I was amazed by her voice the first time I heard it after a friend sent me an mp3. The song was Gravity and I was completely enthralled from the get go. Her voice is just as amazing live as it is in the studio.
May the road rise up to greet you, the wind always be at your back and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil realizes you're dead.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:34 am

Stacy.......Vienna Teng's music caught on with us around the time of her first appearance on Letterman. We have enjoyed her music for years and even got to see her perform live this past summer. I remember being aware of how effortlessly she played the keys and how her voice is every bit as smooth in concert as it is on her records. We have two of her CDs and consider ourselves among her fans.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:12 am

WUMB plays Vienna Teng a good bit....and she was one of their Live at Noon guests within the last 2-3 months. Love her.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

stacyx

Postby stacyx » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:28 pm

I should probably start listening to WUMB more. I usually just listen to my iPod at home, at work and in the car. I really don't like listening to commercials and I guess I'm too impatient to sit through them.

Return to “Looking for My Friends”